PDA

View Full Version : December 2009 Kitfox of the Month Larry Wenning Model 4-1050

DesertFox4
12-01-2009, 12:44 AM

History:
The story of my Kitfox, N96DJ is a little different from most of the stories told as a Kitfox of the Month. I’m not the builder of this fine little bird. I’m just its guardian and care taker.
In 1994 a man named Richard N. Jurging, from the countryside near Dennison MN, took delivery of a Kitfox Model IV kit from SkyStar. Over the next several years, he created N96DJ. The quality of his build and attention do detail are evident today, throughout the airframe. Richard was a true craftsman. I say was, because sadly he did not live to see his creation fly. He suffered a stroke and passed, prior to its first flight.
From Richard’s family, the plane passed to Ken Schneider, also of Dennison, a family friend of the Jurgings. Ken eventually sold the plane to Barrie Wutschke, of Rochester MN. Barrie, a budding sport pilot, did several tweaking and tuning type of detail projects to the plane in preparation to fly it. But, as often happens with these things, life got in the way and he was forced to sell, the still unflown, plane to Milton Meredith of Ogden UT.
Milton sold the plane in 2006 to another budding sport pilot, John “Johnny Hollywood” Kirstein of Wausau Wisconsin. John, with the help of his EAA UL Chapter75 friends, finished the fitting out and did finally fly the plane. John put 75 hours on this little beauty of a plane, enjoying it to the summer of 2009. Being retired, with the economy the way it currently is, a bit of right-sizing was needed by Johnny and he was reluctantly forced to sell his pretty little yellow bird.
This is where I enter the story. I heard about the plane from Johnny Hollywood’s hangar-neighbor, Paul Seehafer. Paul knew I had a “project” plane which I was working on but was open to finding a flying plane, too. So, long story short, I bought the plane from Johnny Hollywood on August 18, 2009. Over the next several weeks, with the help of a new friend, CFI and EAA UL Chapter 75 mate, Jim Shnowske (our very own JimS), I got the necessary transition training to fly this extraordinary example of kitplane craftsmanship.
Other than doing some maintenance items (bungees!) and soon a little paint work to repair a bit of peeling and finish what was started, I can take no credit for this plane looking as nice as it does. It is 99% the quality and craftsmanship of Richard Jurging that I will endeavor to maintain at a high standard as a memorial to him.
So-- here’s to you, Richard. This honor belongs to you.
Airplane Details:
Engine – Rotax 912 UL – 80hp
Propeller – Warp, 3-blade
Airframe – SkyStar Kitfox Model IV – 1050
640# Empty Weight
Terra Communication and Transponder
Magellan SkyNav 5000 GPS
Aeroplastics Formed Windscreen and Bubble Doors

DesertFox4
12-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Larry, congrats. on KOTM for Dec. 2009. You found a jewel no doubt. Nice tribute to the original builder. What synchronicity involved in the trail of this great little Kitfox to your hangar. A couple of our own members were involved in this story, Paul Seehafer and Jim Shnowske. Wisconsin is really hitting a home run on beautiful Kitfoxs and KOTM honors. ;)
Just a little jealous of that wiring job. May have to look at mine next summer and try to copy yours. Also with all the neat glass panels appearing now days it's still great to see that the traditional panel can be a work of art. Thanks Larry for sharing and congrats. again. Enjoy every flight.

Av8r3400
12-01-2009, 07:08 AM
Thank you, Steve. :)

I consider it to be a great honor to be in the company of these other folks. Now, I'm going to go flying in that little honey to celebrate! :D

You can fly along with me on my YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/av8r3400) videos...

SkyPirate
12-01-2009, 06:59 PM
I have been searching for a "cyber bib" to put up next to the photo's of the planes so I can digitally put one on to keep myself from shorting out my keyboard with the drool,..anyone know where I can find one??<grins>

Awesome looking bird~!!

Chase

PS I like the tires ,..same as what I had on my model 2 ,..you'll appreciate them on a wet grass runway or landing short on a beach

JimS
12-02-2009, 07:05 PM
All Right Larry!

Treat her right Larry and she'll take care of you. I'll have to talk to you some more about Sun-N-Fun next spring. It'll be a fun trip I'm sure.
Congrats!

JimS

Av8r3400
12-08-2009, 04:09 PM
I promised some air to airs when I got them. Well, here you go.

These are air to airs from a friend's Champ on Sunday. With the snow coming, that may be my last grass strip hopping day until spring or I build some skis... :(

horsepower
12-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Thats a nice clean looking machine, if and when I get my Skyraider finished I just may have to fly back and visit you and Jim.Wisconsin has some beautiful country and I would like to see some of it for myself. Randy

av8rps
12-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Hey Larry,

Nice to see your plane here. She is one beaut!! And it flies as well as it looks...that's even better! Glad to see you enjoying it so much.

Paul S
Central Wisconsin

Zorro
12-20-2009, 04:49 PM
nice Kitfox congratulations, have a blast!

Av8r3400
02-11-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm sorry I've forgotten about the console picture request, I'll snap a couple tomorrow.

For now, here are a couple of pictures of the new wheel through skis that we have perfected. PM or email me if you are interested. We are currently working on a wheeled tail ski.

JimS
02-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Skis look good Larry. Hows that Shnow-ski coming?
Heard you and Steve were going to fly to Iola today. I would have went with but I'm a day worker now for two years.

Sun-N-Fun planning get together probably in late Feb. or early March.

JimS

SkyPirate
02-12-2010, 03:00 PM
just a thought ,..but what if you did something like this below in the back side if the ski ,.it can be made of anything light ,.and would have to weigh less then the snow that's building up behind the tire,..just a thought

Av8r3400
02-12-2010, 09:23 PM
@ Jim - You working tomorrow? Maybe going to Marshfield for their ski-in? Call me...

@ SkyPirate - The snow on the tails of the skis blows off as soon as you go to full power on takeoff. It is a function of the tread on my tires when taxiing.

Pics of the console coming soon... :o

Av8r3400
02-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Console...

SkyPirate
02-14-2010, 09:09 AM
@ SkyPirate - The snow on the tails of the skis blows off as soon as you go to full power on takeoff. It is a function of the tread on my tires when taxiing.

I used the same tires on my model 2 in 1997,..they do kick up some snow and debri,..but they work great for stopping quick on all surfaces,..grass sand snow etc

Chase

Slyfox
02-14-2010, 09:26 AM
I would be interested in building me some of those. Would be a good summer project.

Av8r3400
08-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Not meaning to drag up the past, but there's a couple of new additions to my airplane:

A nice little piece of wall-candy
Grove gear (off my 1200 project plane)

DesertFox4
08-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Well two big congrats. Larry. A fine addition to your wall and another to your award winning Kitfox. :D