PDA

View Full Version : Onboard tool kit

jrevens
07-07-2019, 05:58 PM
I was asked by a friend and fellow Kitfox owner/builder for feedback about what tools to carry in the Kitfox. I always carried a tool bag that weighed about 8 lbs. in my Thorp, but that seems way more than I need for potential simple maintenance/repairs when traveling away from home in the Kitfox. I've got a pretty good idea what I'm going to carry, but I wondered if others would share their thoughts about that. I'll post my tool list when I finalize it. Allen wrenches, as well as a small 1/4" socket set are on my list, but I want to limit the number of sockets & wrenches to only what I need for the Rotax 912 ULS as well as general airframe hardware (both metric and fractional sizes). Has anyone got a list of the common sizes needed for the Rotax?

DesertFox4
07-07-2019, 07:26 PM
Photo of the “kit” I usually take on cross country flights. The Screw gun doesn’t always get to go along as it’s a little heavy. I do like the portable tire inflator. Basic universal tools. All fits in the low profile plastic tub. So far haven’t needed anything but the tire inflator, AA batteries and the rain ponchos.

HighWing
07-07-2019, 07:29 PM
Good Idea to make a recommended list. I once needed a soldering iron to repair the wiring to my video camera mount and a butane powered soldering iron with flux and solder became a regular item in my tool kit. The only time it was used was in the repair of a broken ignition module wire on one of the other guys Kitfoxes during a back country trip. Ill have to look through my bag to see whats tools are there, but I know I had several sizes of camloc fasteners and other fasteners for fairings etc. that might work loose and get lost in flight.

Av8r3400
07-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Kitfox or Twin Otter???

1/4" socket set, screwdriver, pliers and a Visa card.

jabkwab
07-07-2019, 11:12 PM
I carry a leatherman, spare safety pins for the wing and aileron bolts, and spare AN3 bolts for the rear tail wheel spring mount.

rosslr
07-08-2019, 03:06 AM
It probably depends on where you are flying - or more specifically, how isolated the area is that your flying in. If repair facilities are likely to be close at hand Vs being very remote and having to solve problems yourself. For my remote flying in OZ I carry the following:
Pliers - pointy nose and snub nose
Phillips head and slot screw drivers
small shifting spanner
3/8" and !/2" spanners
Spark plug socket and driver
Leatherman
small gas heat gun
solder
electrical wire
crimp terminals
fuses
safety wire
assortment of AN3 and AN4 nuts bolts and washers
spare spark plug
spare EGT sensor
cable ties
Oil
Coolant
Tapes - electrical and gaffa

ross

efwd
07-08-2019, 05:48 AM
Ahhh, Timely post John. I have been carrying my tool bag that I carried as a UH-60 Crewchief. I have been meaning to trim it down. Thanks Steve for the pic. I have been meaning to call Earth X about a jumper. I was under the impression Jumping an Earth X is not advised. I know they don't want you to jump via our conventional means but I see they have a source of power for sale. Surely you have researched how yours is acceptable VS those power sources sold by places like Costco. Care to add to our knowledge regarding your purchase of the EarthX jumper?

DesertFox4
07-08-2019, 06:25 AM
I purchased EarthX’s jumper at AirVenture last year on sale. Also purchased their jumper extension cables that will allow me to jump start right from the pilot’s seat. No need to remove cowlings anymore. Start and go all by yourself. Their website has a huge amount of information on the care and feeding of these batteries.

Tool kits are pretty dependent on where you fly. Often I am a 20 mile hike to the nearest “road” where you might see one rancher’s truck every 3 days if you get lucky.

aviator79
07-08-2019, 07:13 AM
Has anyone used Knipex plier-wrenches? It seems like these would be good in a compact toolkit, as they would take the place of a wrench set. My concern is that they would be too bulky to be useful in a lot of situations, and they are pretty spendy.

https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8603250-10-Inch-Pliers-Wrench/dp/B000X4OG94

kmach
07-08-2019, 01:19 PM
I have those exact pliers in the hangar tool box, mostly used for squeezing rivets.

I carry a small canvas toolbag in the plane with essential metric and sae size wrenches, multitool, small crescent wrench, screw drivers, appropriate Allen keys, needle nose pliers, silicone tape, chunk of safety wire, spare fuses, extra electric trim switch, etc, weighs 4 lbs.

airlina
07-08-2019, 02:29 PM
Ahhh, Timely post John. I have been carrying my tool bag that I carried as a UH-60 Crewchief. I have been meaning to trim it down. Thanks Steve for the pic. I have been meaning to call Earth X about a jumper. I was under the impression Jumping an Earth X is not advised. I know they don't want you to jump via our conventional means but I see they have a source of power for sale. Surely you have researched how yours is acceptable VS those power sources sold by places like Costco. Care to add to our knowledge regarding your purchase of the EarthX jumper?

Hi Eddie, I bought the Earth X jump pack a couple years ago and love it. Initially I was a bit cautious with it because of the problems everyone hears about these new fangaled lithiums, but that has faded now and I am amazed that this little unit can do what it does. I specifically bought it for a booster for my IO-240 powered Series 5, as the main odyssey battery is in the empennage for wt & bal. purposes and you can imagine with the long cable run ,starts are sometimes problematic as the weather cools down here in upstate NY . With it hooked up the engine spins like a turbine when I hit the starter. I wired an Earth X compatible plug in the cockpit ,so I can plug it in while I'm in the seat, fire it up and go. When the jump pack isn't in the airplane , its in my truck and here is where it amazes me-I have used it to start my snow plow truck when the battery died, my tractor and various other pieces of equipment. It has never failed to start anything I have used it on, a very handy unit . You can even use it to charge tablets , cell phones etc thru a usb port on the unit. Its always part of my travel kit. The Lipo safe silver case is something I bought to store the jump pack before I trusted the Earth X.Bruce N199CL

efwd
07-08-2019, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys, I am going to order one of those.

David47
07-09-2019, 07:46 PM
Thanks Ross for the very comprehensive list. That's now the basis for mine, in addition to a jump starter, tyre puncture repair kit and first aid kit including snake bite compression bandage. We have some lethal critters in parts of our outback .....

rosslr
07-09-2019, 08:15 PM
Yep, I left out the jump starter and the tyre repair kit - and I also had a hand pump - it was lighter than a 12v pump and also worried about flattening the battery.
getting close now Dave!

r

David47
07-10-2019, 04:45 AM
........ getting close now Dave!

r

Yep, sure is. Will e-mail you ...

Esser
07-10-2019, 12:49 PM
I'm going off the top of my head here so I might miss some things:

Safety Wire
Safety pliers
Phillips, Robbie, flat screwdriver
Small Side cutters
1/4" ratchet with various imperial sockets 5/16" to 9/16"
Two stage tire pump with tire puncture repair kit
3/8" wrench and second 3/8" gear wrench
7/16" wrench and second 7/16" gear wrench
Small wrenches for waste gate cable adjustment
1" wide black gorilla tape
Spare fuses
Needle nose pliers
3/8" wrench and second 3/8
Zip ties
Oil, coolant
Small Volt meter

I use a bag that came with a screwdriver set I once boat. The whole thing is the size and weight of a healthy burrito

jrevens
07-10-2019, 09:19 PM
Must be a REAL healthy burrito, Josh! Lots of good ideas!

Thanks everyone... I believe that if I ever flew into some real isolated backcountry, I would want to have DesertFox4 & his airplane with me in case we needed to build a cabin or something.;)

Frontier Fox
07-10-2019, 10:06 PM
I’ve been watching and waiting for someone to list duct tape or 100mph tape. Come on guys and what about bailing wire? HA!

efwd
07-10-2019, 10:19 PM
Naw, the bailing wire is there.... It's always referred to as "Safety Wire".;)