PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Pedal Rivnuts (rivet nuts)

JoeRuscito
06-26-2019, 02:18 PM
Whats everyones take on using rivnuts to attach the rudder pedals. Im about to attach the firewall and this might be my last opportunity to install them. Any downsides? Im not concerned about them spinning.

Also to that point, to anyone who has installed the factory interior kit. Does it require you to remove the pedals to cover the forward most floorboard with carpet? (I don't have mine yet)

Thanks!

jiott
06-26-2019, 02:30 PM
Joe, if I wanted easily removable rudder pedals (I have not found a need to remove them in 5.5 years) I would install them the standard way per the manual and then just install a couple of access panels on the belly to be able to access the nuts.

The factory interior kit does not require removal of the rudder pedals; the carpeting just butts up against the pedal lower torque tube but does not go under it. The carpeting and floorboards (except the small board under the pedals) are quickly removed.

Shadowrider
06-26-2019, 03:37 PM
For the last 12 months and numerous hours of garage flying I have not needed to remove mine either.🙂

Meyer
06-27-2019, 06:12 AM
I did anchor nuts, I have read of many others who have too. I am not flying obviously.

jonstark
06-28-2019, 04:29 PM
The original builder of my IV used nuts and did not make sure the torque tubes were loose enough on the bearing ends to move freely. I now have to cut access holes to rework the tubes. Ugh!
This would have been so much easier had he used nutplates. I personally wouldn’t use rivnuts knowing that they are often apt to spin during removal so would say at least use clip nuts or better to use nutplates.

Jon