PDA

View Full Version : Model IV Wheels and Bearings

jonbakerok
11-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Do Model IV owners not service their inner wheel bearings every year? How do you get them out?

The outers come right out, but the inners have a metal seal that's a press fit holding them in. I can't think of a way to pull that seal without damaging the bearings or the wheel. I guess you need some kind of puller but I couldn't find one that I was willing to pay $50 for without knowing it would work.

DesertFox4
11-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Jon, I happen to have Cleveland wheels and brakes and mine have snap rings retaining the bearings in place. Very easy to remove and service all four bearings yearly. Grove wheels may also have the snap ring retainers.
What type do you have?

jonbakerok
11-29-2009, 07:49 AM
There's no markings on them but I'm pretty sure they're the stock ATV wheels made by Douglas that shipped with most of the kits in the 90's.

Slyfox
11-29-2009, 10:01 AM
I don't repack every year, with that said, I think, I bet, I put on more landings than you do. But, I believe when I did mine I did the classic take out the outer bearing reinstall the nut, than take the whole wheel and kind of pull it off. What that does is put force on the inner bearing against the seal, should come right off. That's how I use to do front wheel bearings on a car, now they have sealed bearings.