PDA

View Full Version : First Flight!

wadeg
09-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Kitfox 81WG flew for the first time today. It treated me very well. For a taildragger, it tracked pretty straight and came off quick. Climbout was awesome and kept having to raise the nose to keep the speed down. Flies hands off and feet off the pedals at cruise. 5100rpm got me 110mph cruise at 4000 feet. A real joy to fly. 2nd flight went even better after adjusting the idle setting a little higher. The view is spectacular with the bubble doors. Can see straight down and even under the plane. Handles turbulence like a dream and has much more control authority than my Aeronca Chief. Feels pretty much like the Chief when putting it on the ground. Engine runs smooth as to make me think there is a turboprop up there. Incredible feeling hit just after takeoff when I realized that "Yeah this thing is actually flying now!".
Thanks to all who took part in the project with their support, advice, and friendship. Thanks to those who put up with the 'this thing will never fly' stuff after going through the Skystar bankruptcy (read $$$). For those thinking of taking on a Kitfox project, call the McBeans and order your kit...now!
Regards, Wade

jdmcbean
09-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Congrats Wade !!! What an accomplishment.. Now the fun begins !!

Can't wait to see it. LIVE

RandyL
09-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey Wade, way to go! Looks good and the lack of any issues speaks to the quality build, good work. Now I need to get mine flying so we can do a little Kitfox formation flying around the Portland area. And now you can fly to the chapter's monthly breakfast too! No doubt I'll be down at your place several times over the winter to look at your bird as I'm building.

Fly safe, and be sure and do a complete job of testing.

Mark
09-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Hey Wade, way to go! What a trip it's been, huh.

Welcome to the air!

Robin G
09-10-2008, 10:04 PM
OUTSTANDING! Congratulations. What a beautiful machine.
By the way, we will be neighbors.

Robin G

wadeg
09-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Thanks all! Flew yesterday and now away for a few days on vacation. Separation anxiety has kicked in. Have high desire to run back home and get the plane off the ground again.
Robin, are you the one moving into #50? Hear there are some moves going on currently at the field. Hope to see your plane very soon!