PDA

View Full Version : carb heat

wannafly
11-27-2009, 04:55 PM
I did a search for carb heat on this site and found not much. On a 912S how many of you have it and use it? Do you have pictures? Do you need it?

DesertFox4
11-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Don't know of any 912S with carb heat here in the Phoenix area. If I felt the need I'd look into the one that hooks into the 912's cooling system and uses the heat from the anti-freeze to warm the carbs.

Av8r3400
11-27-2009, 09:54 PM
I just removed the entire carb-heat set up off my IV-1050 with a 912UL. Make me an offer and I'll send it to you...

Not much use, IMO. From what I have been told, by several very knowledgeable experts, the only 912s in Kitfoxes that have carb ice issues are the ones with the carb heat setup on them. The system puts the air filter in the front of the cowl where it picks up cold air that can cause the icing. Without this setup the carbs get their air from the rear of the cowling where the air is warm.

As far as power is conserned, I am getting 300 more static RPM without the restrictions of all the scat tubing. That is telling me that the restriction was limiting power more than the warm air is. (plus all that junk weighed 2-3 pounds :eek:)

wannafly
11-27-2009, 10:31 PM
thanks for your input. I will leave it off till it proves to be a must. txs

Peteohms
12-04-2009, 04:18 PM
thanks for your input. I will leave it off till it proves to be a must. txs

I use and need carb heat. Smoothes out my engine when I pull throttle back on landing.

montana_jim
12-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Have you checked out this link?

http://www.lightsportaircraft.ca/912rotax-parts/carb_heat.html

Av8r3400
01-23-2011, 02:30 PM
I just removed the entire carb-heat set up off my IV-1050 with a 912UL. Make me an offer and I'll send it to you...

Not much use, IMO. From what I have been told, by several very knowledgeable experts, the only 912s in Kitfoxes that have carb ice issues are the ones with the carb heat setup on them. The system puts the air filter in the front of the cowl where it picks up cold air that can cause the icing. Without this setup the carbs get their air from the rear of the cowling where the air is warm.

As far as power is conserned, I am getting 300 more static RPM without the restrictions of all the scat tubing. That is telling me that the restriction was limiting power more than the warm air is. (plus all that junk weighed 2-3 pounds :eek:)

To all of those that asked, I am using a K&N filter, PN RA-0450 (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RA-0450) attached directly on each carburetor.

(Really bad phone picture.)

jeads21@gmail.com
04-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Remember you only need 3 things for carburetor icing to occur.

1 OAT <70 degrees F. The adveraged temperature drop over a Venturi is approximately 40 degree F.
2 Moisture in the air.
3 A Carburetor on a running engine.

What everyone must remember is that the Bing carburetors on the 912 adjust the mixture automatically for the atmospheric conditions so if you are starting to get carb ice the indications will be hidden till there is no more adjustments the carb can make. Then it will be a sudden wake up call.

If you are taking your intake air from an area that never gets below 70 degree F. You most likely won't get carb ice. On the other hand if you have a cowl that has been made to give the best air flow for cooling the engine while delivering cool air to the intake you better have some sort of carburetor heat and use it on those decent( long cruise and landing. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Safe Flying
Jon

Papa Beach
04-15-2011, 10:14 PM
No carb heat on mine...same setup as Av8r3400. No issues so far and have 240 hrs, all flown on Vancouver Island over past four years and in all seasons.

Paul Z
04-16-2011, 06:52 AM
It just takes one occurrence of carb ice to have a bad day!!

Paul Z
04-16-2011, 06:55 AM
Don't know of any 912S with carb heat here in the Phoenix area. If I felt the need I'd look into the one that hooks into the 912's cooling system and uses the heat from the anti-freeze to warm the carbs.

That's because it never gets below 100 Degees F in Phoenix! Ok, Ok, I'm stretching that a little, 99.999999999999 Degrees F.