PDA

View Full Version : 914 oil lines and fittings.

Flyboy66
05-17-2019, 03:51 PM
Okay, I am stumped. Kitfox just sent me 3 of the 37 degree flared elbows for the oil lines. The instruction manual doesn’t show where the three fittings go (there is a picture, but it only shows one of them). There are two ports on the oil tank, one on the oil pump, and one at the bottom of the crankcase. I just spoke with Heather and she said they always ship 3 with the kits. So, considering that there are 4 connections to be made, where do the three elbows go? Is the remaining fitting a strait fitting with a 37 degree flare?

Also, does anyone have any pictures and advice on the best routing for the oil lines? I will upload pictures when I get out to the garage and snap a few photos.

Esser
05-17-2019, 05:50 PM
OK, My oil tank already had finings so I'm not sure if I totally understand what you're talking about but I'll try to describe how my oil lines go. Off the sump is a flared fitting (Mine is 90deg)and it goes to my oil cooler. From my oil cooler it runs to a flared line going into the engine. Coming out of the engine is a banjo fitting and then it runs into a flared fitting going into the oil sump.

Flyboy66
05-17-2019, 06:17 PM
Here are the fittings. The manual doesn’t say where they go, and there is only 3. Not sure what the 4th fitting should look like. The yellow cap is the banjo fitting on the bottom of the crankcase. I put one on the top of the oil tank, and am holding the other that I also put in the top of the oil tank.

How much torque on the fittings when I figure out where they go? Josh, how did you route your lines?

jiott
05-17-2019, 09:49 PM
You've got it-the 3 90 deg fittings: Two on top of oil tank, one on the oil pump. The banjo on the bottom takes a straight fitting.

Flyboy66
05-18-2019, 06:06 AM
Alright, that one solved. I will have to get KF to send me one so I can finish up. Next question: how much clearance between the exhaust pipes/muffler, cylinders, and the firesleeve that protects the oil lines?

jiott
05-18-2019, 09:53 AM
I was told by Kitfox that 1" is minimum, of course more is better. I have two places where my clearance (firesleeve to exhaust pipe) is 1"; so far so good after 750 hours. Some guys make a small metal heat shield, but I have not done that.

Esser
05-18-2019, 10:14 AM
I had an oil line melt through. Even though Rotax doesn’t recommend it, I switched to the front pick up. I figured a tiny bit more oil in the case wasn’t as bad as a burst line. I’m still having trouble posting pictures from my phone but I’ll try to show you how I did everything when I get home tonight

Flyboy66
05-18-2019, 11:33 AM
Man, the oil lines are a bugger. I cut the line for the tank to left side of oil cooler. It won’t need fire sleeve, so I figured I would install it now. It went on the elbow fitting with some effort, but the fitting on the oil cooler is not cooperating. It’s half on. I can’t remove it, or get it to go on further. Are there any tricks, or is it just a challenge?

I also looked at the banjo fitting in the crankcase bottom. It is designed for a 37 degree fitting connection. It seems to be pointed very close to one of the exhaust pipes.

Esser
05-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Easiest trick is to put it in boiling water to soften the end up and then push it on. Don’t forget your clamp. You may have to cut off that last bit of hose to remove it if it’s stuck

aviator79
05-18-2019, 06:52 PM
The 914's return oil line is difficult to keep far from the exhaust. I don't have a good picture, but it's possible. Also, my EAA tech counselors suggested firesleeve on all oil and fuel lines under the cowl.

Frontier Fox
05-18-2019, 07:52 PM
I’ve found a little silicone spray on the hose will help immensely getting a hose fitted.

efwd
05-18-2019, 08:47 PM
My EAA Tech Counselor, who happens to be my DAR also made me use fire sleeve. In fact, one of my sleeve was slightly short. He could see the hose itself, so he made me replace it. I used motor oil to slip them on.

Flyboy66
05-19-2019, 09:17 AM
So, can the hose clamp be visible, or did he want the fire sleeve to cover the hose clamp?

jrevens
05-19-2019, 09:38 AM
You won’t need clamps if you use the proper “Push-Loc” fittings & hose, Steve. Google it... you’ll get a ton of info & tips about how to use it.

Flyboy66
05-19-2019, 09:48 AM
John, the oil cooler has the push loc fitting, but the oil tank has the stainless elbow, that I assume would need a hose clamp?

If there is a hose clamp, is it expected to be covered by fire sleeve, or just butting against it?

jrevens
05-19-2019, 09:58 AM
The stainless elbows are probably Push-Loc also. Mine were. You’ll need to make sure one way or the other. If you would post a picture of one I could probably tell you what you have.

I’ve seen it done both ways, but it would be best & makes the most sense to cover the clamp portion of the hose also. Some people have also used hose clamps with the Push-Locs, but it’s not needed, nor recommended. Again, that’s provided the proper hose is used with the fittings.

efwd
05-19-2019, 10:08 AM
John, go back to post #3 and you will see his fittings.
I brought the fire sleeve to the hose clamp, not over it. I secured the fire sleeve with stainless steel wire ties I found at Harbor Freight. They are far less expensive than those I bought at AS&S that require a special tool to install. The tool worked on making my wire ties really secure.

jrevens
05-19-2019, 10:27 AM
Thanks, Eddie. Yes, those are Push-Loc fittings.

I did the same as you, but I got my S.S. wire ties at Home Depot (or Lowes?). I’ve also not covered the clamps sometimes.

aviator79
05-20-2019, 09:33 AM
My EAA Tech Counselor, who happens to be my DAR also made me use fire sleeve.

Just as a little background - The sleeve does protect your lines from hot components, but it's called firesleeve because it will buy some time before flame will penetrate it and melt your lines. You want that time to recognize that you have a fire, and get the engine shut down before you start pumping fuel and oil onto the fire. The Kitfox design does not do a very good job of protecting the cabin from an engine fire. The fiberglass cowls will burn right past the firewall, and melt your windshield in a hurry. the firewall itself will glow red hot, and if you used the plastic brake lines that came with your kit like I did, the hot firewall will melt the lines and ignite the hydraulic fluid, setting you on fire. That firesleeve can give you several minutes of standoff time before your fuel or oil systems make a bad situation much, much worse. While the statistics show that in-flight fires are pretty rare, I think the reasoning behind sleeving all the lines is sound.

Flyboy66
05-23-2019, 01:08 PM
Does anyone see anything concerning about the oil lines?

Flyboy66
05-23-2019, 02:20 PM
I flipped over the banjo fitting in the crankcase so it angles up over the exhaust tubes, instead of downward at them. The oil line is just temporary until I hear opinions. Then I will finalize and slide into firesleeve.

Please see the post below as well for a look at oil line routing in the other areas.

aviator79
05-24-2019, 10:30 AM
Looks pretty good to me. Anywhere they contact something g they aren't secured to, chafing may be a concern. That's hard to evaluate in pictures. If the local EAA has a tech advisor, it would be good to get another set of eyes and hands to take a look.