PDA

View Full Version : side to side play in control stick

phintz
04-27-2019, 05:45 PM
4-27-19

Hello everyone, so I was flying the other day and I noticed alittle side to side play in the control stick. I can't say I noticed this before especially since the control mixer is all solid/rods etc.. I thought i'm close to my annual so I started in.... I removed the seat and tried finding any loose fittings/extra play anything that would cause this. I can't find anything. Seems I can get about 1/8 inch of play before my flaperons start to move. The mixer control rods are all tight and the lock nuts are tight also. Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated. I have approx 230 hrs on it.

Patrick Hintz
Kitfox 6 912 uls

jiott
04-27-2019, 07:30 PM
If its definitely not the rods, joints, mixer, then maybe the flaperon horns riveted joint has broken loose or the rivets have egged out.

David47
04-28-2019, 12:29 AM
I'd be checking that flaperon horn attachment, as Jim suggests. Also, is there any slack in the control stick attachment to the base tube ?.
When you finally find it, would be good to know the cause.

ken nougaret
04-28-2019, 05:12 AM
I had the same problem, and as David said it was the attach point of control stick to base. A simple tightening of the the nut and bolt took care of it. Hope that's it.

Dorsal
04-30-2019, 02:11 PM
I have found a little play in the bell crank that translates the side-side motion to fore-aft. I will eventually remove and replace those bushings (I think they were over reamed).

n85ae
05-01-2019, 06:06 AM
I feel the control stick itself is too flexible, I have often thought about making one with a bit thicker
wall tubing, or 4130 even. I can feel the stick flex (mostly on the ground) which I don't like.

Not sure anybody else has noticed that ...

Jeff

jiott
05-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Wow, Jeff! I have never even come close to having to push hard enough on the stick to feel any flex. Finger tip control is the norm for a Kitfox. The hardest I ever push is during a go-around before flaps are retracted and the nose-up trim can be backed off-still not enough force to feel any flex in the stick. I am wondering if you might have a sag or bend in the long pushrod going to the elevator, causing it to bow under pressure?

jrevens
05-01-2019, 02:10 PM
Wow, Jeff! I have never even come close to having to push hard enough on the stick to feel any flex. Finger tip control is the norm for a Kitfox. The hardest I ever push is during a go-around before flaps are retracted and the nose-up trim can be backed off-still not enough force to feel any flex in the stick. I am wondering if you might have a sag or bend in the long pushrod going to the elevator, causing it to bow under pressure?

I agree, Jim... the sticks seem to be very stiff and adequate to me.

n85ae
05-01-2019, 07:41 PM
Well ... I feel it ...

There is no binding in my controls, they are very friction free, it's not that at all.

In flight it is pretty fine, it's not really noticeable. But when I taxi, and hold the controls for wind correction
I feel the springiness in the stick at the stops, and I don't like it. You are correct in flight it is just finger
pressure, for normal flight.

I've been flying it for over ten years, and well - I notice it, every single three point landing ... Which are
about the only landings I ever do ... Especially if the ground is bumpy.

It's I'm sure just me, and it's totally a personal preference thing.

Jeff