PDA

View Full Version : Lake Tahoe Series 7 SS build

TahoeTim
11-30-2014, 08:08 AM
My kit arrived on black Friday. (no 40% off black Friday discount :()

Moved my Zenith to a second hangar. I have plenty of room to build this one. The project in the background is a Factory Five 818 kit car. You can see the Subaru engine ready to go in the frame. I will be building a plane and a car simultaneously.

TahoeTim
11-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Day 1 progress

I thought I would show the aftermath of inventory rather than a bunch of boxes of parts. Having built a Zenith 601 previously, I have to say that the packaging of this kit is top quality. I feel sorry for the person in Idaho who loads and labels every little baggie.

We have some kids home this weekend from college so I hope to get the wings mounted on Sunday before they leave.

DesertFox4
11-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Congrats Tim.
Even in it's barest form the Kitfox 7 Super Sport looks sexy. Enjoy the build.:)

Danh
11-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Congratulations enjoy the build

Paul Z
11-30-2014, 08:34 AM
Looks like a lot of work 2 projects. I'm sure prioritization is going to be fun! Who's on First?

AirFox
11-30-2014, 08:52 AM
Congratulations on your new plane! Looking forward to following your build on here.
Scott

offroute
11-30-2014, 09:15 AM
TahoeTim,
Have fun with the kit build. My Kitfox SLSA should be ready in the next couple months and will be hangared down at Stead if you want to come by and check out any details during your build. It is a taildragger with a 914 and G3X Touch in the panel.
Offroute

TahoeTim
11-30-2014, 06:42 PM
Got through the most important step today - rigging the wings. Pulled them off after the photo and started prepping the braces for final mount to the spars. Next weekend after I let the hysol dry I can mount them again and finish up the fuel tanks and ribs.

skbenson
12-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Hi Tim,
I am just over the hill in Reno building a 7SS in the garage. It's covered, painted and up on the gear. Come on over or I'll come up, have a cup of coffee and swap lies.
Regards,
Stan

Paul Z
12-01-2014, 12:30 PM
Stan Post Some more Pictures, I like M I C K E Y!

skbenson
12-01-2014, 12:35 PM
He always brings a smile!

TahoeTim
12-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Wow, I didn't realize there were so many based in the Tahoe area. I have 4 heaters in my hanger to keep the chill off but when the blizzard hits I will head up to Reno to take a peek at Mickey.

PM me your contact info

DanB
12-02-2014, 04:23 AM
Congrats on delivery of your new toy Tim! Enjoy the build. :)

GregA
12-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Tim, Stan,

There are a couple of us at Reno-Stead that are thinking of a Kitfox build and would like to have a look at your projects some time. I've sent an email to you both (or you can pm me) - please let me know if you are willing to have visitors.

Cheers,
Greg

TahoeTim
12-05-2014, 10:19 PM
I'm at the hangar every weekend. You are welcome to come anytime.

skbenson
12-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Looking at instruments and radio anybody have experience with the GRT Sport EFIS and EIS? Also the MGL V6 radio. Any input greatly appreciated!

TahoeTim
12-21-2014, 05:55 AM
I have the V10 in my Zenith and I love it. I am going with another v10 or a v6 to . The second channel monitor is very convenient and the built in intercom control works awesome. I can play my iphone music and it automatically fades it down when I use the mic. When I fly from Tahoe to Minden to Carson, I sequence the active/monitor channels so I can hear any traffic up ahead. You transition the airspace so fast that I find it comforting to listen ahead to the traffic in the pattern, especially at Minden with all the glider traffic.

The Awos/asos info on standby will dominate the audio so I switch on and off the monitor channel feature at any airport I am landing at. The dual arrows white button is the swap so you dial in the second freq and then swap it to active.

If you take the time to learn all the features and buy their harness to make wiring simple, you will like the radio.

I am looking hard at the MGL Discovery panel to keep it simple. I am waiting to see what the 8.5 inch panel price is. I fly with a Dynon now and it's just ok.

skbenson
12-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Thank you for the info. Am especially happy to hear about the intercom. Iam leaning toward the GRT Sport EFiS in that the AHRS is inside and not remoted. Thanks again for taking the time to fill me in. Will come up after the holidays.
Regards, Stan

TahoeTim
12-21-2014, 08:33 PM
The new mgl discovery also has internal ahrs.

TahoeTim
06-18-2015, 07:09 AM
Update: I haven't posted about my build in a few months but I have been busy. I have my 912, prop, upholstery kit, and avionics nearly finished. Get those long lead items ordered guys!

After the 4th of July I will post detailed pics of my progress before I start covering. I am completely assembling my SS7 in the skeleton before I cover it. I will share my experience for those who might want to try it.

TahoeTim
07-06-2015, 07:24 PM
Ok, I've been working hard on my kit. I'm not building in the traditional order. The plane is nearly "complete" less cover and paint. I have the last four rudder ribs and the speedster caps left. I also need to mount the doors. The engine, cowl, boot cowl and panel are 90% finished. I have my upholstery too.

Here is my finished panel. MGL Xtreme EFIS and EMS. Also using a MGL ECB panel. One ribbon cable to the switches and main hot to the ECB. The glove box was sourced from iboats.com. It holds the ipad mini and has two cup holders :)

trentp
07-06-2015, 08:24 PM
Looking great Tim! We will have to link up and go flying when you get it finished. I have a series 5 that I bought about 6 months ago that I base in Stead.

DesertFox4
07-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Nice panel Tim. :)
I love the ease of connecting MGL's products. I'm seriously considering their new Explorer Lite glass panel in the 8.5" screen size. I've picked up an iPad Air 2
for use with Foreflight and Stratus for my back up screen. MGL's com radio looks great too. I believe they now have a solution for ADS-B out also.

TahoeTim
07-07-2015, 05:22 AM
The little 8 channel electronic circuit breaker item is neat too. I have the sandia remote transponder that is controlled by the efis. All mgl this time.

rosslr
07-08-2015, 02:13 AM
Nice job on the panel Tim. Interesting that you are choosing to build in a 'different' sequence. It's looking good though. I too have the MGL Extreme's and about to wire them up - might be calling on your expertise!

cheers

r

TahoeTim
07-08-2015, 06:15 AM
rosslr, I was somewhat forced to change the order due to the weather here and my personality (to keep a good pace). I love to multi task and stay busy. As soon as I got my build manual. I split it into 3 binders. That way I could work on different areas if I ran into a snag or cold weather prevented me from gluing. I'm installing the rudder speed fairings today. I'm amazed at how fast the hysol dries now.:)

I also couldn't fathom covering and painting the fuselage without the boot cowl and engine cowl. Heck, my fuselage has been on the gear since the second month. It has made a great front sawhorse.

Your build has been awesome to follow. I appreciate all the photos you provide.

rosslr
07-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Hi Tim,

I think your explanation about sequencing the build - doing it in a way that matches your personality, the prevailing weather and to take into consideration hold ups - is really useful for people contemplating a start on the project. It makes a lot of sense and on reflection, I can see where I have 'wasted' a lot of time by sticking to the sequence when waiting on weather or parts ( although I have made compensations along the way, but nothing as systematic as you have).

Bye the way, with our weather being cold right now, I have the bottom cowl sitting here in the lounge room with me so the Hysol will go off over night! And I will probably have to wait for some warm weather to paint it - reinforces your point about thinking the project through and matching your approach to your circumstances.

Have fun installing the rudder and if you haven't already seen the posts on NOT setting the rudder angle at this stage, it would be worth looking them up - best to leave that to after covering as the angles really need to be set visually at that stage.

go well

cheers

r

TahoeTim
07-08-2015, 05:29 PM
I jumped back to the speedster tail and knocked that out today. I'm amazed how fast the hysol sets up. It sure beats heating the two cans for an hour before mixing!

Tomorrow I'll take on the bubble doors and wrap up my fuselage section. :D

av8rps
07-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Very nice panel Tim. I'm jealous of all that simplified wiring.

And I think your unconventional approach to the build process makes a lot of sense. It obviously works well as you seemed to have gotten a lot done in a short time. Project looks great.

TahoeTim
07-09-2015, 06:42 PM
I took a day off and completed the butt ribs and mocked up the door frames.

I gotta build up some courage to cut the acrylic doors...

TahoeTim
09-07-2015, 05:39 PM
We made a trip back to Elko to pick up my engine. Hal installed his Zipper kit and I am ready to go. Drove the 6 hours home and installed it back on the plane. Notice that I wore my fly in shirt for the photo. ;)

We also cut the hole for the exhaust today. I'm gonna wire up a couple of temp senders and the mag switches now that Hal taught me a couple of things about the rotax. I need to do the wing tips and then break it down to cover and paint.

Paul Z
09-07-2015, 05:47 PM
Looking good, Zipper Kit, which one? I think for the 912 ULS the have 2 options. I like the T Shirt.

TahoeTim
09-07-2015, 05:58 PM
high compression (115 hp)

btw - my engine had the highest compression that Hal had seen so maybe I got a "narrow" block ;)

It's good to know it has been test run, new spark plugs, new fuel pump, valve seats checked, etc. In a couple of months when I fire it up I am not expecting any issues and that's a real good feeling.

SkySteve
09-07-2015, 06:24 PM
Looking good there Tahoe Tim. Nice getting to know you at McCall.

DanB
09-07-2015, 06:45 PM
Looks great Tim...she will be in the air soon going at your current pace.

jrevens
09-07-2015, 07:56 PM
It looks great, Tim! That looks like a hungry dog... watch your leg! :p

TahoeTim
09-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Yeah we were both licking our lips :D

I can see the end in sight now.

TahoeTim
09-08-2015, 05:42 PM
some excitement today while I worked on my wing tips:

You can see half a kitfox in the hangar as the plane taxied by...

KFfan
09-09-2015, 06:56 AM
Wells Fargo customers now know why savings rates are so low...:eek:

TahoeTim
09-11-2015, 02:48 PM

Is this about the right angle on the aileron control rod? It seems like it needs to be rotated down a little to clear the seat bottom.

I'm designing a 3D printed butt block (to avoid copyright laws and save a few grams:))

Dorsal
09-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Looks pretty good, is fairly easy to install the seat pan and check clearances.

jiott
09-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Also make sure you don't have any binding at the rod ends at full travel both ways.

TahoeTim
09-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys. I am anal and want it to be perfect angles but it hits the seat. I also don't like that the rod ends hang to the side on such a high motion link but I always fall back on the fact that there are thousands of them out there flying.

If I were crazy anal I would change the bend...

jrevens
09-14-2015, 02:50 PM
Tim,
That rod has always kind of bothered me too, and I have had the same thoughts as you. I feel that particular area could probably be redesigned & improved. I don't like the fact that the frame of the rod ends bears & rubs against the surface of the control arms to hold the bent rod in the proper position. I installed some thin mylar plastic washers for the edges of those rod ends to bear against. Not necessary, but it makes me feel better.

TahoeTim
09-14-2015, 02:56 PM
I guess the fix would be to move the front bellcrank over enough to make the rod a straight shot with possibly a kink down to clear the seat.

I can't recall how the bellcrank hooks into the sticks and it could screw up the geometry...

BTW - did you find a difference in total throw between your left and right aileron deflection? I am puzzled about it as it seems the crazy cross arm angles might be off a little or my flap control arms are off a little. I'm not too worried because if I am banged full left or full right, I have bigger issues :eek:

TahoeTim
09-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Success! We installed the doors today.

With a big thank you to my wife Nancy who put in around 200 hours working alongside me...the binder is complete including fwf and wiring... except the covering.:eek:

Next steps:

1. pull the wings, glue on the leading edge and cover them
2.spend about 3 more hours to finish the wiring to the headset jacks and the sticks
3. trim and prefit the glare shield
4. pull the engine and cover the fuselage
5. paint !!!

jrevens
09-21-2015, 12:07 AM
Wow...that's great Tim! And you've done it "your way", saving the covering for last. It looks good! What size are your tires?.

TahoeTim
09-21-2015, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I was spent after installing the doors on Sunday.

I was struck with plantar fasciitis about 4 months ago. It is horrible and really slowing me down now. I wear braces on both feet at night and am struggling all day (contractor). I have to make a big commitment to spend 6 hours on the plane when I could easily do 12 in a day a few months ago. Our trip to Idaho was almost unbearable considering I drove the 9 hours trek each way and then took three days of lessons with stick and rudder.

I am hoping that the cold winter helps...my original target to make it to the Arizona event in October won't happen but I am still hoping to make my first flight at the one year mark on Thanksgiving. It's not a race but a target always helps me keep moving.

HighWing
09-21-2015, 05:47 PM
Tim,
Sorry to hear about the physical issues. Good luck on the rehab. Where is your work hangar? I am close, but mountains between.
Lowell

TahoeTim
09-21-2015, 06:01 PM
I would be honored to meet you and learn about your building tips. I am in South Lake Tahoe and also have property and a hangar rented in Swansboro which is very close to you.

love your neighborhood btw

My bday is tomorrow. While I am depressed about falling apart at 57, nothing will deter my love of building.

HighWing
09-22-2015, 05:51 AM
I've been to Swansboro several times, but not recently. Will you be moving there eventually? Lots of great things going on at Swansboro.

gbright
09-22-2015, 12:48 PM
Happy Birthday Tahoe Jim,

Keep on keeping on, that way will not get get rusty or corroded.

Blessing, Grant

My bday is tomorrow. While I am depressed about falling apart at 57, nothing will deter my love of building.[/QUOTE]

TahoeTim
09-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Lowell, I intend to move there within another year. I'm counting on the new $34m bridge will cause my property values to jump up. I scooped up two more lots in the last month to take a gamble. I have a chance to buy a hangar lot too. That might be my next play.

HighWing
09-25-2015, 12:01 PM
I like that general location. I presume if you were be there when the airworthiness cert. was issued, you could get clearance to fly from there. Much more friendly terrain for flight testing then I have around me here in Cameron Park. I had to go to Lincoln - the one trailer ride. Good terrain there as well.

TahoeTim
09-25-2015, 07:05 PM
on my first build, i talked the faa into a 100 mile radius so i could perform sea level tests ;)

TahoeTim
10-09-2015, 05:34 PM
I got my registration from the FAA today.

N557KF is getting closer to reality...if you squint you can read my n number as NSS7KF :D

TahoeTim
07-16-2016, 08:07 AM
The foot is much better so I ordered my Oratex covering from Germany. I am excited to be entering the final phase. Photos of covering to follow in a couple of weeks.

Cherrybark
07-16-2016, 01:35 PM
Please do post Oratex pictures and comments. I'm seriously considering that process and would appreciate hearing your experience.