PDA

View Full Version : Questions on PVC fairing

Shadowrider
03-20-2019, 09:28 PM
Working on getting the pvc fairing material on the lift struts. Instructions don’t make mention of any adhesive before clipping together? Is it recommend to use hysol or caulk to help keep them in place? Or is it better not to so they can center in airstream? Or once clipped together and the ends glued do they stay in place?

David47
03-21-2019, 04:32 AM
The lift strut fairings should be attached to the lift struts using hysol. Try and align them as close to streamlined as you can and then bond them in place. You'll need to make a cutout for the jury struts. As far as the lower end of the struts is concerned, most people don't use the sheetmetal fairings provided by Kitfox. Instead, they fill and fair that area using foam and hysol or other fill. One aspect to keep in mind is that when swinging the wings, you'll need to cut back the fairings when they meet at the lower end of the struts. I can't recall by how much (I haven't done mine yet) but take a look through some of the build threads (JEvens, efwd, Esser etc and you'll see what others have done.

Shadowrider
03-21-2019, 07:41 AM
Thanks guys! I am going to bond, (fancy word for glue) them on with hysol (fancy word for jb weld) today.;)

Tom Waid
03-22-2019, 03:16 AM
I would not use Hysol as a fairing putty. It's too hard to sand. I used Superfil (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/superfil.php?clickkey=12902)

jiott
03-22-2019, 10:35 AM
Agree with Tom, Hysol for bonding, SuperFill for filling and fairing. This is true anywhere on the airplane except where specifically stated otherwise.

kitfoxrk
08-24-2019, 07:16 AM
Does anyone have any hints on how you held the jury strut clamps in place when you installed the lift strut fairings? I haven't been able to find much on the forumn.

Thanks,
Bob

t j
08-24-2019, 04:32 PM
Does anyone have any hints on how you held the jury strut clamps in place when you installed the lift strut fairings? I haven't been able to find much on the forumn.

Thanks,
Bob

I carefully measured the location and cut a square hole in the fairing just large enough to fit over the compressed clamp ends. Then used safety wire to hold the clamps closed tightly in place on the struts and installed the fairing over the clamp ends. Sealed the gaps around the clamps with superfill to keep water out.

https://i.imgur.com/DVxD2L4.jpg

DesertFox4
08-24-2019, 11:42 PM
That’s one of the nicest looking jury strut bracket fairing cut outs I’ve seen Tom. 👍

efwd
08-25-2019, 09:16 AM
I'll second that. I used the same method but my hole has cracks in the Super Fill. Probably because I didn't get the hole so tight as yours appears. Nice job.

jiott
08-25-2019, 08:12 PM
I used white silicone caulking to fill in my jury strut cutouts; offers some flexibility.