PDA

View Full Version : Wide body kit,,, huh,, what about the side window fit?

rogerh12
03-18-2019, 12:59 PM
Howdy All;
I installed the Williams wide body kit on my model-4, but noticed my plan to install the side windows with screws has changed.
Originally, I was going to add some nutplates to the window frame tubes to bolt the window in, but now it looks like I can't do that
because the wide body kit sticks out and the fabric will be away from the window frame tubes a lot more.
Did anyone figure out a way to solve this, or are you just not installing the side windows?
Let me know, thanks
Roger

HighWing
03-18-2019, 04:30 PM
The Aluminum framing - Delta Shaped - attached to the fabric after shrinking with Polytack. Has channels capturing the lower and forward edges of theLexan sheets with the securing screws on the top.

rogerh12
03-23-2019, 09:38 PM
Thanks !!!
Roger

JustPlaneMike
07-15-2020, 12:23 AM
What does the wide body kit do?
Where do u get it?

avidflyer
07-15-2020, 05:05 AM
The wide body kit makes the fuselage wider so fat guys like me have more room. I've widened the last three fuselages I've done. I think the William's kit adds 5", I did 3" on two of them, and 4" on the Kitfox 4 I'm almost done with now. My method did not involve cutting or changing any of the original tubing of the fuselage. On the Avid MK IV and Kitfox 4 I used 1/2" 4130 tube to widen the fuselage, and on the Kitfox 3 I did I used wood, as the fuselage was covered already, and I was trying to save the fabric. Here are a couple of pics showing the Kitfox 4 and Kitfox 3 to give you some ideas. I don't think I would recover another plane without doing this mod. The door frames are bent/racked to fit the new door opening shape. As far as the windows overhanging the fabric, I used my metal brake to put a bend on the bottom and back of the lexan, so it turned back into the fabric. JImChuk