PDA

View Full Version : The tundrafox S7 STi build

dbest13
12-29-2018, 02:14 PM
Hey guys, I posted on the FB page but I figured I'd post here too. The kit has arrived and the build has officially started! If you're interested in following the progress, I created an Instagram account for it called @tundrafox_build. I'll be posting there for the most part, maybe on here a little bit too.

Meyer
12-29-2018, 02:29 PM
Just followed over on Instragram. Good luck!

jiott
12-29-2018, 06:16 PM
I believe you will get a lot more, relevant help if you post here. This forum is categorized, searchable, and the first place most people come for help or to give good tips/advice. Just sayin.

JoeRuscito
12-29-2018, 06:44 PM
Agreed with Jim. Congrats on receiving the kit. I just started on mine as well!! The guys here are super helpful and in addition Id love to keep up with your build!

dbest13
12-30-2018, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys, I fully intend on getting my technical information and advice from here but just using Instagram to post regular content and updates for the people who just like watching the progress that might not have an interest or need for the forums.

dbest13
01-10-2019, 07:36 AM
Alright guys, I'm caving. I will just suck it up and learn how to post to forums. I've been working diligently on the build and do feel like it's coming along but still have a long way to go. I've just hit 60 build hours and have the rudder pedals, control column, push rods, and some other minor stuff all done. I've had to skip around a couple things while waiting on some missing horizontal ribs. Really enjoying it so far though.

Esser
01-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Looking good!

bbs428
01-10-2019, 12:39 PM
Nice job! Yes, It is enjoyable. :D

I'm a little bit ahead but not by much.
I need to start a thread on my build as well... :rolleyes:

efwd
01-10-2019, 07:31 PM
Funny..... im finding that, as I also posted it, the first photo is usually from that perspective. Getting that stuff installed is so gratifying and it seems most people agree. That photo, from whoever it comes, never gets old. Always fun to see so keep em coming. :)

David47
01-13-2019, 04:42 PM
Yep, that photo brings back memories of when I was at that same stage in April 2017. Enjoy the journey, it'll be worth it in the end, no doubt about it.

dbest13
01-16-2019, 04:00 AM
Got a little bit more done tonight, hasn't been much over the last week for numerous reasons but the pace is beginning to pick back up again. I was having a hell of a time drilling the roll pin holes on the detent pins for the flap and rudder pedal handles so I made a jig out of some spare aluminum stock we had laying around. Worked great! I attached some pictures of it but basically you slide the detent pin in, tighten the set screw on the top, and drill through. Way easier that anything else I had tried previously. I was then able to finish the flap handle and start on the detent brackets for the center console. More to come!

dbest13
01-26-2019, 03:36 AM
Rudder cables are swaged and in. I still have to find the heat shrink tubing or pick some up if it's not in the parts. Finished up the rudder pedal adjustment levers and detent brackets, mounted the bottom stringer, and fitted the side stringers. About to crack the 100 hour mark, getting there slowly but surely.

DesertFox4
01-26-2019, 05:51 AM
Looking good. Like the jig for drilling roll pins. I could have used that device. The heat shrink doesn’t come in the kit as I recall so an assortment of different sizes is very handy.
I ordered a couple times throughout my build from SteinAir in Minnesota. Received it quickly along with a fair amount of shielded wire for avionics and lights. Keep after it. Lots of fun building for you very soon in the process.

Meyer
01-27-2019, 07:52 PM
Looks good! My kit arrives soon so I am following this.

dbest13
01-31-2019, 02:27 AM
Door frames and side stringers are in! I'm kinda glad that's out of the way, it was one of the more confusing things for me so far. Of course it makes sense now after I'm all done. Fortunately my ever-curious assistant was there to guide me. I'm hoping to do the doors and start on the tail access cover within the next couple of days but that might have to get put on hold until after a checkride this weekend. Pesky responsibilities always getting in the way....

DesertFox thanks, I consider myself lucky to be in Anchorage so close to Reeve's, Northern Lights, and AIH (my 3 go-to's) but that's good to know and I'll certainly keep them in mind.

Meyer good luck, you're going to have a blast! If you need a detailed picture of anything before I cover, let me know.

bbs428
01-31-2019, 04:54 AM
Steady progress for sure... between the pesky responsibilities stuff.
Your QA assistant looks like their keeping you on your toes. :)

JoeRuscito
01-31-2019, 04:59 AM
Door frames certainly took some time and careful thinking! Our builds are neck and neck, its great how many builds are happening now, so many to reference.

dbest13
01-31-2019, 05:10 AM
Nothing gets past him!

All the builds are super helpful. I've been referencing the dual sti build thread quite a bit and will be on yours now that I have come across it.

dbest13
02-18-2019, 03:01 AM
Finally got a chance to get back at it after almost 2 weeks without touching the poor thing. Fit and bonded all the ribs for the elevator, rudder, vertical, and horizontal. Still have to do the stiffeners and foam end pieces. I have to say it was kind of annoying how bad most of the ribs were warped. It made it difficult to mount them straight but I think the stiffeners will help once they're on. Glad to have one of the bigger "hysoling" projects done. I think in the future I would add the stiffeners before bonding the ribs.

efwd
02-18-2019, 09:20 AM
Most of us would not use the foam from what I read in another thread. Balsa Wood is the recommended material. The foam is really soft, like a Cheetos Puff. Until it gets covered with Hysol it is succeptible to hangar rash. If you chose Oratex fabric, it will melt easily when subject to the heat used to install the fabric.

jiott
02-18-2019, 10:48 AM
A lot of my small tail ribs and false ribs were warped, but I easily straightened them by wiping water on the concave side to swell the fibers on that side and straighten it out. Then let it dry under some weights on a flat surface-Wa La.

Shadowrider
02-18-2019, 11:32 AM
I would also recommend use balsa