PDA

View Full Version : Aus S7 Kitfox

Mcgaero
06-25-2015, 05:08 AM
Hi All, it's time I introduce my self... My name is Ben and I have been building a 233 Lycoming series 7 Kitfox for the past couple of years.

I live in Australia just a few hours south from Ross at Mt Beauty, I think it's Ross that has inspired me the most to finally make a post with his amazing effort on this forum and with his build!
I have really enjoyed reading everyone's input and figured it was time I had a go at contributing!

I built a Waiex a number of years back and have been enjoying flying that as I build the kitfox. Progress has been slow with work commitments the last year but I hope to have more time now to build (and post progress!)
I have covered the wings, tail plane and currently getting as much done on the fuse before I cover it next.

Paul Z
06-25-2015, 06:43 AM
Ben
Excellent, looks like you are making good progress. I see you've even got some of the much dreaded rib stitching complete. I see you've got some nice fat tires, I love mine, when I was working on my Advanced Flight, it gave me a nice comfy place to sit, and work under the panel. I also like how they help absorb the landing shock!

Keep up the good work. If you want some enthusiasm, call up Ross, and see if he would mind a visit to look over to meet him and to look over his project. Ross has been working like a man searching out a "Vision Quest", and nothing will stop him. Looking over his plane, will definitely give you some some of his vision, and enthusiasm.

Excellent progress, make it a point to post some of your progress every so often, then a couple of times in a week, and stick to it. Then we will get to read a post about your plans to fly up to Mt. beauty to go flying with Ross.

rosslr
06-25-2015, 02:29 PM
Hey Ben! At last! Good for you. I wish you a bit closer at the moment as I good do with your expertise on electrical and engine stuff - but muddling through.

Paul (and others), Ben and I know each other and he was over here a few months ago with his lovely partner and had dinner with us. He is a rather modest young fellow - his Waiex is a work of art! He is Licensed Aircraft Mechanical Engineer who works on Esso Helicopters and was very generous with his time when we were considering the project in showing us his kit. Starting a new job and having to do extra training has slowed him a bit, but watch this one - I know it will be a exemplar of a Kitfox as his workmanship is superb!

No pressure Ben - good to hear from you!

cheers

ross

Mcgaero
06-26-2015, 01:31 AM
Hi Paul and Ross, I have alot to live up to after Ross has filled in some gaps!
Yes we had a great time visiting your self and Gayle a few months back, your amazing hospitality was very kind! We left Mt Beauty a little more determin to get building and not get left to far behind after seeing your pride and joy!

Paul, I must admit I have been found sitting on my tires deep in thought as to how I should proceed with the next step :)

Paul Z
06-26-2015, 07:04 AM
The tundra tires are great for a pair of tired feet after a long day at a Fly in. Park your plane so your sitting in the shade of the wing around lunch time, and you’ll have a nice place for lunch.

You have a great resource with Ross being ahead of you in the build. However, after reading Ross’ posting about your qualifications, I would suspect you may be getting some calls from Ross when he needs a engineering assistance. I retired after 35 years at Raytheon as a Mechanical Engineer.

Y’all (I’m from Texas) keep the postings coming we all enjoy reading them, and it will help spur you on in your project.

Have a great weekend.

Mcgaero
07-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Spent some time on the firewall and boot cowl the last couple of days.
I have decided to install dual brakes so it's almost time to order some more parts from Kitfox. Im thinking on the list will be the new tail wheel spring I have seen getting around, the new design kitfox have come up with looks like a much better system than the leaf springs... I think it's all been positive from an older thread I was reading on the forum?

GuppyWN
07-06-2015, 07:04 PM
"Some time" looks like half a day minimum!

Mcgaero
07-07-2015, 01:30 AM
Haha Yes... There might have been half a day in puting the pattern on the firewall, it felt like 2 days by the time I was finished!

rosslr
07-07-2015, 01:38 AM
Nice one Ben! You spent that long putting a pattern on the firewall?? Really? what is the pattern for? Hope to see you soon.

cheers

r

Mcgaero
07-07-2015, 02:03 AM
Ross, no it wasn't quite that long.. It's just for looks, i polished the fire wall in my last aeroplane so i thought id try something different, you know me... This is why im still building and your almost flying! ;)
Yes I look fwd to catching up again!

Mcgaero
08-11-2015, 03:17 AM
I have made some progress the last few weeks with fitting the boot cowl, doors , making carbon fiber panels and trial fitting my extended baggage bag I had modified at the local trimmers.

I Finnish my working week tomorrow with 7 days off so I hope to finish making the carbon fibre panels I started (pictured are the seat pan panels being vacuume baged with a foam core) I have the baggage bay floors, cabin floors and wing strut fairings left to keep me busy this week!
The last bit of composit work will be the engine cowl as I would like to get away from using the big 3" propeller spacer on the 233 lycoming for obvious weight reasons but I need to do some more reserch on that one....!9574

rosslr
08-11-2015, 03:28 AM
Hey Ben, what a surprise!

Great looking, innovative work as usual from you! It is going to be a stunner when finished Ben - Cant wait to get flying and come over to look at it!

cheers

r

Mcgaero
08-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Ross, I needed a little push to make a post! ;)

I'm looking fwd to the day I see your Kitfox in the air... And at West Sale!

Esser
08-11-2015, 06:07 PM
I would keep your heavy spacer. You can read why I think that here:

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=6556

Mcgaero
08-11-2015, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info Esser!
Thats the kind of info I need..
Ive played around with a few weight and balance charts lately and the 233 lycoming really shifts the CofG but I'm kind of wishing I hadn't rigged the wings with the 1 degree fwd sweep now...
I think the plan of attack is to almost finish the aeroplane less propeller and cowling and then weigh it and see where I'm at.

Esser
08-12-2015, 03:32 AM
Sorry Ben, I missed that you had a 233 up front.

Mcgaero
09-11-2015, 05:04 AM
Today I finished trimming the floor and baggage bay panels, all they need is a clear coat and they will be done.
It is nice to get some spring weather here after the cold months! (top of 23 degrees C)
I also bonded the tip caps in the flaperons.
Tomorrow I hope to fit the tail plane and start on the side cover panels.

rosslr
09-11-2015, 05:10 AM
Hey Ben. Good to chat today and great to see your post! How much weight did you think you saved with the carbon fibre? your work looks stunning as usual!

cheers

Mcgaero
09-11-2015, 05:33 AM
Hey Ross,
With the extended baggage bay panel and the standard baggage bay panel together it came in just under 2 kgs, the original factory panel on its own was just over 2 kg so I'm just in front with that.
With the seat pan and cabin floor panels I've saved 1.5 kgs + what ever carpit would weigh.
My aim is to get 15 kgs of the weight which I think is acheavable if I make carbon fiber wing strut fairings and a few other bits and Pice'. That will make up for the lycoming weight with 20 more hp... That's my crazy plan any way

They say watch the ounces and they will equal pounds!

kmach
09-11-2015, 06:40 PM
Looks nice.

We had a similar saying in the airborne . Ounces equals pounds, pounds equal pain ! Very true with boot mode transportaion.:)

Mcgaero
09-12-2015, 02:23 AM
Kevin, I like your saying!
Having built one aeroplane I know how easy it is to gain pounds and cant help but be more conscious of weight on this build..

Mcgaero
10-14-2015, 02:26 AM
Made some progress the last few weeks, installed the wings again to fit the windscreen/turtledeck cover and double check a few things.
Finished fabricating the stabiliser cover panels and ready to start fitting the wing strut fairings when I'm finished with the windscreen...

Clark in AZ
10-14-2015, 06:37 AM
Nice! Keep the pics coming... :D

Dick B in KY
10-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Question, What is the source for the carbon fiber lift strut fairings? They look really nice. Thanks.

Dick B

Mcgaero
10-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Hello Dick, I actualy got a company in New Zealand that makes yacht masts and different parts to make them. I was going to make the fairings my self but they had the right size dies and could make them cheaper than I could buy the materials. The company is called c-tech

rosslr
10-14-2015, 01:36 PM
Good to see the progress Ben! How do the strut fairing join at the rear? it is going to be a work of art when finished. Back to work work for a couple of weeks now I guess? I look forward to flying over to see progress before too much longer!

cheer

r

Mcgaero
10-14-2015, 03:27 PM
G'day Ross, I have to cut the fairings down the trailing edge and bond them back together when I install them on the struts.There's around 3.5kg weight saving.
Yes back at work this week
Im looking fwd to the day I see you back at West Sale! And in a Kitfox!!!

Esser
10-14-2015, 04:03 PM
3.5kg is awesome. The real question is how much?

Mcgaero
12-07-2015, 03:30 AM
We had a great weekend over at the Mt Beauty flyin where Ross is based and we got to see his finished Kitfox!
It was just what was needed for a boost of motivation! :D

Mcgaero
12-07-2015, 03:35 AM
Also finished my wing root fairings today.10268

Dorsal
12-07-2015, 05:17 AM
Nice work, I like the wing root fairings, how did you make those and what material?

jrevens
12-07-2015, 10:32 AM
Those look beautiful, Ben!

Mcgaero
12-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Thanks John and Dorsal,
I'm enjoying your build John and the little modifications you've come up with!
I have made the wing root fairings out of carbon fiber. I cut the top flat pices out of a sheet that I had and vacuum baged, then clecoed those 2 strips on to the aircraft and molded the cuff pice out of plasticine and then i did a lay up over that to form the cuff.

rosslr
12-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Love it Ben! I said way back that I was determined to finish mine first, or, on seeing yours, I would be so dispirited that I would never finish! Great idea about the wing root fairings. It was good to see you and Kath over here for the weekend.

Ben posted one pic of his Waivex, but here is another - again, beautiful workmanship and an indication of what we can expect when he finishes the Kitfox SS7!

cheers

ross

Mcgaero
12-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Thanks Ross, your too hard on your self!
You've just build and flowen a beautiful Kitfox and that's something to be really proud of!! Many homebuilts never get finished.

What a weekend thou! I know Im only 27 but I can't wait to retire in Mt Beauty haha

Esser
12-08-2015, 07:45 AM
Looks great. You can sell some of those to us who don't have the skill set!

Mcgaero
12-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Thanks Esser, it had crossed my mind but I recon all the windscreens could be shaped slightly different plus I have 1 degree fwd sweep.
And I'm slow enough building one aeroplane haha

jmodguy
12-08-2015, 05:46 PM
Ben,
Can you post some more pics of the dynafocal engine mount on the aircraft? Side and quarter front would be great to see!
Jeff

Mcgaero
12-08-2015, 10:09 PM
Hi Jeff, hope these help.

jmodguy
12-09-2015, 04:48 PM
Thanks Ben! Just what I needed.

Mcgaero
01-28-2016, 01:14 AM

Finished fitting the turtle deck today which was the last job on the list before I take the wings off and start covering the fuselage...!

rosslr
01-28-2016, 01:26 AM
Looks great Ben! How about a close up of those flash looking cuffs!?

r

Mcgaero
03-25-2016, 01:00 AM
Well after getting married and spending 3 weeks holidaying in Tasmania (Australia's island state south of the mainland) it was time to get back to the kitfox and start covering the fuselage.
I was a little concerned about the turtle deck skin but managed to get it done in one pice. On to the reinforcing tapes, cover the rudder and that's the fabric finished :)

rosslr
03-27-2016, 05:58 PM
G'day Ben,

First, congratulations and hope you are both enjoying married life! The Tassie trip sounded great and you will have seen every part of it no doubt in three weeks!!!

Great to see you are back into the covering now although it was a bit hard to see as the photos were a little small. Maybe posting them as individual ones will make it clearer - I know your work will be worth looking at!

cheers

r

Esser
03-27-2016, 06:54 PM
Is it advantageous to rig the wings and fit the turtle deck before covering the fuselage?

jiott
03-27-2016, 09:19 PM
I would want to rig the wings before fuse cover. Rigging usually involves putting the wings on and off a couple of times and in my case had to be done outdoors since my garage wasn't big enough. No big deal, but once you start covering you kind of get on a roll and its nice to keep at it until all is done.

I think the turtle deck fitting can be done most any time, but the wings must be on in order to fit the flaperon control arm slots.

Mcgaero
03-28-2016, 01:15 AM
Hey Ross,
Yes we saw most of Tassie and its airfields of course, I think it will be on the list of places to visit in the kitfox!
Enjoyed your pics of Holbrook!
Not sure what happened with my photos, they seem to have shrunk when I up loaded them... Your right thou, I might have to go individually. I'll take some more tomorrow.

Easer, I agree with Jim, I had my wings on and off twice.
I even went to the point of fitting the windscreen doors and turtle deck before fabric so all I have to do is assemble it later and not risk damaging the freshly painted fabric.

rosslr
03-28-2016, 01:28 AM
Josh - If you are still coming Melbourne some time we will try and go see Ben's build too. It is a work of art! I think two might also be the youngest builders on this site!

Holbrook was ok Ben - nothing too interesting though I learned of a Model 4 in one the hangers that has sat there unused for many years - interesting. nice weather though.

cheers
r

Esser
03-28-2016, 06:14 AM
hey Ross the trip has been postponed indefeinately (I'm back up north for work).

I probably will cover first then fit those things as I am only In a two car garage. I was hoping to get all the covering done months ago but real life keeps getting in the way. I turn 29 this August so hopefully she flies before my 30th birthday.

rosslr
03-28-2016, 01:52 PM
Shame about the trip but good to hear you have a timeline in place now - kI reckon Ben might just pip you to finish line - but like you, work keeps getting in the way!

cheers

r

Mcgaero
03-28-2016, 03:36 PM
Josh I know the feeling, I go to Malaysia in May for 7 weeks with work so that will slow me up! I have a similar time line goal... I turn 28 next month and plan to be flying in 12 - 18 months (being realistic!) Ross is probable wondering what's taking so long.... He could have built 2 kitfox so in my one. Haha

Mcgaero
03-28-2016, 09:11 PM
My iPad has started posting photos small for some reason... Might have to give my laptop a go

Mcgaero
05-13-2016, 07:11 PM
It's not really Kitfox related but it is slowing my build process up!
Thought I would add a pic of the Agusta hangar in Malaysia where I am doing an AW139 maintenance course for a couple of months.
I haven't seen any Kitfoxs over here yet....

Esser
05-13-2016, 08:33 PM
Neat, I bet you are looking forward to getting home though!

rosslr
05-13-2016, 10:32 PM
Nice Ben -that hanger is nearly as eat and tidy as yours!!!

How much longer are you there? Gayle and I head off to Kimberley's in a about a week. Hurry u and finish the fox!

r

Mcgaero
05-14-2016, 04:58 AM
Yes they are a neat helicopter, a little different to the Sikorsky 76s I've been working on but slowly getting my head around it all.
Another 5 weeks to go and yes, defiantly looking forward to getting back to the Kitfox!
That sounds exciting Ross! We have dreams of that trip too one day...
It will be all go on the kitfox when I get home, I get 3 weeks off after this Malaysia trip so that should make an impact on progress!

Mcgaero
07-21-2016, 02:43 AM
Finally back to it!
Ive had a good few days on the kitfox and finished all the fabric tapes on the fuselage and finished covered the rudder which was the last of the fabric work to be completed.
Moving on to fitting wing tips next and lots of odd jobs until the weather warms up and then in to painting... well that's the plan at this stage.

Esser
07-21-2016, 05:18 AM
If you are doing all your work in a sea can, I am impressed! I find my two car garage tight. Looks great.

Mcgaero
07-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Hey Josh,

Haha yeah it's a little tight, the shipping container is next to our hangar so it's not my only space but it's handy because I can heat it and I'm going to set up a spray booth in it when I'm ready to paint.
Your making great progress! I've got a bit of catching up to do.

rosslr
07-21-2016, 03:08 PM
a very neat and tidy job Ben! your on a roll!

decided on colour scheme yet??

cheers

r

Esser
07-21-2016, 05:43 PM
I think you will catch me Ben, I am only getting 4 days off a month right now so by the time I catch up on real life things that need to be dealt with there isn't much time for the plane. I did manage to get the mains back on on Sunday but I spent three hours looking for the callipers I took off only to find them in a tool box drawer where I put them so I "wouldn't lose them".

Mcgaero
07-21-2016, 11:04 PM
Thanks Ross, you might just have to wait for the paint scheme.... ;)
Josh I know the feeling with putting parts in safe places, I have finished parts stashed in safe places From over 12 months ago I'm sure I'll be scratching my head over when I come to needing them.

Mcgaero
09-01-2016, 04:27 AM
Spent the last couple of weeks setting the shipping container up as a spray booth and it seems to be working well.
Finished fitting wing tips with just a bit more fiberglass work to do on the boot cowl and I should be ready to start painting.

efwd
09-01-2016, 08:37 AM
That is so Cool!.

Mcgaero
01-13-2017, 04:03 AM
Slowly making head way with the painting, its been a while since my last update but it has really only been lots of prepping and painting in repeat. I have found the ranthane topcoat to be fairly sensitive with temp and humidity to get a nice finish so I have been applying it in the late afternoon and it seems to flatten out and cure nicely with the cooler temps through the night.
The horizontal stab, elevator, rudder, left hand wing and most of the smaller parts like undercarriage parts have been painted.

rosslr
01-13-2017, 05:25 AM
I'm smiling Ben!!! This is going to be some fox!

great stuff - looking forward to flying with you but parking next to you!

cheers

r

Mcgaero
01-13-2017, 12:53 PM
Thanks Ross, you've got nothing to worry about! Everyone loves bright yellow, my Kitfox will be the boring old silver one after a while haha
Im really looking forward to the flying part too, motivation feels good after flying with you and starting to get things painted! Instruments should be here next month. :)

rosslr
01-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Good to hear Ben. Craig ( the red KF4) arrived back a few days ago and is itching to get in the air with his too!

What instruments are you going with Ben?

cheers

r

Mcgaero
01-13-2017, 05:05 PM
Ross you will think I'm silly but steam gauges for ASI VSI & ALT, electronics international engine monitor, trig radio/transponder and Garmin 795 gps.
I know how good the glass instruments are but I can't do it, we are going old school!

rosslr
01-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Ben! Such an old fashioned guy and still not 30!!!

:) I am sure it will look great. They are only instruments after all.

cheers

Mcgaero
03-22-2017, 04:24 AM
Time for an update, still sanding and painting but ive finished the wings and half way through painting the fuse which is the last of the fabric to be painted, all I can say is im glad its not a bi-plane!
Also started working with the local motor trimmer on the interior. I had some trouble with the glare shield taking the right shape so ive ended up re glassing most of it and putting a foam core in it to keep its shape.

jrevens
03-22-2017, 08:28 AM
The work looks beautiful, Ben! Very nice job... keep it up!

efwd
03-22-2017, 10:18 AM
Wow, Johns right. Your paint looks nice and shiny. nice job on the glare shield, I may have to use your technique when I get there.
Eddie
P.S. I want those tires.

airlina
03-22-2017, 12:22 PM
you guys are really upping the bar on these latest builds in progress ! Bruce N199CL

rosslr
03-22-2017, 03:03 PM
Looks fantastic Ben! - I should have got you to make 2 of those glare shields while you were at it! a work of art as usual.

cheers
r

David47
03-23-2017, 06:52 AM
Blimey, you're cooking up a storm here Ben !. Red shades, silver overalls and big black shoes. Nice.

Mcgaero
03-28-2017, 02:46 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words and motivation!
Over the last week I have applied the poly-spray coats with wet sanding in between and then one coat of white.
Today I painted the tubes in the cockpit area silver and tomorrow I will prep the rest of the fuse ready for top coat silver then its back to work for 7 days...

Mcgaero
03-28-2017, 03:12 AM
Fuse with 1 coat of poly tone ready for Ranthane silver

Mcgaero
03-28-2017, 03:22 AM
Tubes in Ranthane silver

efwd
03-28-2017, 06:52 AM
Oh Man! is that masking tape all over the tubing? I hate that job. Taking it off is no fun either. Must have taken a fair amount of time. Looking great though.
Eddie

rosslr
03-28-2017, 01:54 PM
its looking sharp Ben!!
r

Mcgaero
03-28-2017, 02:23 PM
Eddie yes thats masking tape on the tubes, unfortunately they needed to change colour for my paint schem. Getting paint on the tubes with out runs or touching where I had just painted was another task... Glad its done now!

Mcgaero
04-06-2017, 04:55 AM
Big day today spent painting the fuselage and un masking.
Looking forward to getting it back on its landing gear next week.

efwd
04-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Nice and shiney Ben. Looks great!
Eddie

Flybyjim
04-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Looking very nice, quality painting and one more step forward.

Mcgaero
04-08-2017, 01:21 AM
It was a day of visual progress today with the fuselage back on its undercarage.

PapuaPilot
04-08-2017, 06:21 AM
It really starts to look like a plane at this point. When I got to this stage I felt like the end was within reach. Yours looks very nice. Are you done painting and leaving everything silver?

Mcgaero
04-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Hi Phil, thanks, its a nice point to get to that's for sure!
Not quite finished painting yet, still flaperons, wing struts and then I have engine cowling to fit and paint. As for the silver I'm thinking I'll get it all assembled and see how it looks, but at this point I'm liking the plain silver with a red interior.

rosslr
04-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Ahhhhh... you finally spill the beans Ben! not even one little red stripe??

We have four planes with large wheels heading into the Simpson in a month - hurry up and join us!!

looking fantastic....

cheers

Mcgaero
04-08-2017, 06:44 PM
I could possibly be talked into a red stripe Ross.... ;)
I better keep working so we can go flying one day before you wear your Kitfox out!
Simpson trip sounds great!

David47
04-10-2017, 03:34 AM
Nice looking job Ben. Ross told me about you and your workmanship quality. Like him, I'll be parking my aeroplane 100 yards or more from you at any future flying when I'm finished building mine ! :D

Mcgaero
04-11-2017, 03:20 AM
Thanks David, I recon Ross in his kindness exaggerates my workman ship... After 4+ years building I think I'm just fussy and pasistant. ;)
Your off to a great start with your assembly! I have to commend you on your posts, I think you've posted more detail than I have for my intire build.. I'm a bit slack when it comes to social media!

Mcgaero
05-23-2017, 03:16 AM
Had a productive couple of weeks getting the interior sorted with the motor trimmers and started working on the instrument panel.
Today I installed the engine with a helping hand from a friend and then we installed the engine in his RV-4. we have been building the projects pretty well side by side which has been great for motivation and those jobs that need an extra hand.

David47
05-23-2017, 06:30 AM
That coaming panel looks plush. So do the seats. As a wild guess I'd say the colour scheme is silver and red ..... any red strips to appear on the externals ?

SSFoxBuilder
05-23-2017, 08:58 AM
Simply stunning.

jrevens
05-23-2017, 09:06 AM
Very nice, Ben! The detail, and clean workmanship is beautiful!

colospace
05-23-2017, 09:08 AM
That red looks really nice with the silver. Nice job on the upholstery too. I'm curious about the lever outboard of the pilot's seat cushion.

Paul Z
05-23-2017, 09:17 AM
Those are very nice seats, I've never been a fan of Red. However, the upholstery shop did a very nice job.

Mcgaero
05-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Thanks every one, I think it's the most enjoyable stage of building an aeroplane when it all starts coming together.
David - I haven't decided about stripes on the outside yet, I think I will get it assembled and see what I'm working with at that point.
Colospace - The lever beside the pilot seat is a throttle and its linked to the one in the center console so I have dual throttles. I just prefer flying with my right hand and operating the throttle with my left.

rosslr
05-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Going well Ben! Nearly came over on Monday - but played around on the Dargo high plain instead. Will share a nice place with you - hurry up and finish!

cheers

r

Mcgaero
07-01-2017, 02:38 AM
Been working on the instrument panel the last couple of weeks, I'm happy with the way it's all coming together and retaining an old school feel.
Ignore the green on the sub panel, its only masking tape.
Just need to finish of the glove box door and its nearly ready to paint and assemble.

Doc68
07-01-2017, 03:51 AM
Nice work mate, keep them coming

rosslr
07-01-2017, 05:13 AM
Such and old fashioned guy Ben! But still a work of art!

r

jrevens
07-01-2017, 09:59 AM
That's looking beautiful, Ben! A man after my own heart!
I like the way you positioned the radio stack, and (I assume) the engine controls while still making them removable from the main panel. All that making for a better, straighter path for the engine control cables. I like that very much.

Edit: I forgot - your throttle is down on the tunnel. Anyway, the relief you put in the bottom center of the panel, for clearance or whatever reason looks nice!

jrevens
07-01-2017, 10:11 AM
I meant to also comment on the nice-looking modification you did to the firewall flange, Ben. That'll make for a much better fit with the cowling. Good job!

Mcgaero
07-01-2017, 01:20 PM
Thanks everyone!
Ross, have you seen stick and rudders new promotional video? Its titled "old school is still cool" ;) .... having said that I think all Paul's aircraft have glass panels... maybe that was a bad argument for my steam gages hahaha

John, the relief in the bottom of the panel has another sub panel with a heater control and a couple of other things in it. See photo attached, it just needs re labelling. Your build must be getting closer to the finish line?

Flybyjim
07-01-2017, 07:12 PM
I am curious about the throttle control beside the pilot seat and the one in the center console, could you explain how they are connected and the setup of the one beside the seat. For the past 17 years I have flown tandem tail draggers with the throttle on the left by the seat, fly the stick with my right, I really want the same setup in my Fox SS7. I am using a Rotax 100hp.
Your plane is looking very nice, like your panel.

Jim in Pa.

Mcgaero
07-01-2017, 11:03 PM
Hi Jim, thanks, yes I like flying with the throttle the same way and intend on flying this from either seat but mainly from the left.
I will have to take a photo next time I have the seat pan and center console out but I have linked the left throttle to the center throttle by a cross shaft and a push rod. The cross shaft runs under the frount of the seat and then there is just one throttle cable that runs from the center console through the fire wall to the engine. It's all connected using rodend bearings so it is nice and smooth.
I will take a pic of it shortly.

Flybyjim
07-02-2017, 05:03 AM
Thank you Ben, I look forward to seeing the setup.

Mcgaero
11-23-2017, 02:07 AM
Its been a few months since I've posted so thought it was time for an update.
Over the last couple of months I've been working on the cowling and induction system.
I decided to use a bigger spinner so I could widen the cowling, this allowed more clearance to the ring gear and I was able to use a shorter propeller spacer, reducing weight as well as moving the weight of the propeller aft a couple of inches.
I have spent a fair amount of time researching induction systems and decided to make my own ram air system with alternate air. After sorting out the induction system I had to mold a scoop on the cowling, I chose to do this out of carbon fibre to save weight and give the cowling some rigidity.
Next I have to cut the exhaust exit holes and I have some vents coming to fit in the side of the cowling to let heat out.14552

David47
11-23-2017, 05:30 AM
Looks like you've put a heap of work into that lower cowl induction system and landing light installation. Looks very impressive and I'm guessing it's taken many hours. Is that red component inside the induction inlet some kind of filter ?. Also, what are those small "bumps" on each side of the upper cowl ..... are they clearance protubences for something on the engine ? Your composite work looks really good. Congrats on a nice job.

efwd
11-23-2017, 09:27 AM
That does look impressive. Had I needed to do modifications to my fiberglass stuff I would have thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope you did. I found the cowling work to be some of the most gratifying work so far.
Eddie

jrevens
11-23-2017, 11:22 AM
Very cool, Ben! I like the way you’re bringing metal further aft on the belly... I thought of that too, and wish I had done it. What engine do you have? Also, that filter & induction system look empressive. What kind of filter is it? Really nice work!:)

Mcgaero
11-23-2017, 11:44 AM
Thanks David, yes the red component is a cone filter.
The bumps on the upper cowl where already there and where to clear the forward cylinder heads, now I've widened the cowling I could get rid of them but I will probably leave it the way it is.
At least your cowling should fit pretty well as it was designed for a carburettor engine, I was having clearance issues to the fuel injection flow devider on top of the engine which was another reason I went for the 1" bigger spinner as it has lifted the cowling enough to clear.

rosslr
11-23-2017, 12:34 PM
Will it be finished for Saturday Ben?

r

Mcgaero
11-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Thanks John, the engine I have is a YIO-233.
The filter is a cone filter they use on high performance cars, its design is kind of the reverse of the K&N cone filters allowing the air to enter at the large end and gives a better airflow pattern.

Eddie, yes it's enjoyable to see the front of the aeroplane take shape with the cowling!

Ross, it will defiantly be finished for Saturday.... just not sure which one yet. ;)

Mcgaero
04-02-2018, 04:36 AM
Time for an update.... there has been a hole lot of sanding and painting going on for what feels like months but I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Mcgaero
04-02-2018, 04:47 AM
Instrument panel coming together, I made a 3 1/4 instrument with the trim indicator in it and a slip ball.
Still need to label the switch panel/ circuit breakers

Mcgaero
04-02-2018, 04:55 AM
Engine baffels fabricated and ready for fitting and wing struts painted 15405

Mcgaero
04-02-2018, 05:03 AM
Rudder peddle assembly's painted and installed.
Flaperons in primer.
Boot cowl painted and hoping to get the engine cowls top coated this week.

airlina
04-02-2018, 06:09 AM
Ben all I can say is WOW. I can see from the photos the high quality of your craftsmanship and the ingenuity in your build, like the combo inclinometer /trim indicator instrument. You are going to have one quality Kitfox when you are done. Thankfully your location in Australia won't allow you to ever park next to my airplane here in the states. Bruce N199CL

Esser
04-02-2018, 07:37 AM
Looks great! Going to be an aggressive looking plane with those shark gills.

I can only imagine the amount of hours you have into that piece!

This is going to be a beautiful plane! I just saw all the other photos you added too. You can tell the quality from across the world.

colospace
04-02-2018, 08:18 AM
I see some real artistry happening! Amazingly nice work. Can't wait to see the final paint scheme that goes with that aggressive cowl.

jrevens
04-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Wow... that is all just beautiful, Ben!! Your workmanship is spectacular... what an amazing, very special airplane it will be!

rosslr
04-02-2018, 06:20 PM
Just smiling .....

hurry up!

r

PaulSS
04-02-2018, 10:23 PM
I've heard he doesn't actually want to keep the aircraft once it's built but insists the new owner must live in WA......close to Bunbury, more specifically.

There's a LOT to admire in this build and even without an EFIS I love the look :)

David47
04-03-2018, 01:38 AM
Good grief Ben, talk about set a standard. The bar is so high I can't even see it. I'll catch a bus to any fly-ins you're at. Your work is simply spectacular, and then some.

Btw, are those fish gills moveable ?.

Mcgaero
04-03-2018, 02:36 AM
PaulSS, I give you full marks for trying but I'm going to have a good crack at wearing this aeroplane out when I'm finished... or at least the 2000 hr on the engine! Haha
I just need to finish it before Ross wears his Kitfox out!

David, I've been watching your build and I'm confident they are going to both look great parked side by side!
The gills are fixed but from a few calculations of cowling inlet versus exit area I should be pretty close.
From experience its rare to have to much cylinder head cooling.

sticktime
04-07-2018, 07:17 PM
Simply perfect.

Mcgaero
04-23-2018, 02:51 AM
Painting is coming to an end with the last of the major items finished over the previous few days. Still lots of small bits and pieces to paint but the pile of parts to paint is getting smaller.
I have a added some pics of the streamlining I did to the flaperon counter balance weights and end caps.
Instrument panel is looking pretty complete now. I got on to model boat 2mm vinyl lettering for labelling the switch panel that I then clear coated. It was a tedious process putting every individual letter on but I am really happy with the end result.

airlina
04-23-2018, 03:25 AM
The only problem now Ben is you are going to have to figure out a way to fly this wonderful airplane to Oshkosh to win the Lindy award for best homebuilt.! An amazing job to say the least-are you serious one letter at a time. Bruce N199CL

Mcgaero
04-23-2018, 04:19 AM
Thanks Bruce, hmmm I do Love Oshkosh... I think it's probably every home builders dream to fly their aeroplane to oshkosh, just not sure I like the thought of all that water to be crossed thou ;)

efwd
04-23-2018, 05:39 AM
Wow. That paint looks spectacular. No clue how you achieved such a great job on those letters. Even doing full words one at a time, mine are sometimes crooked.
Eddie

aviator79
04-23-2018, 08:02 AM
I have no delusions of my airplane being show-quality. Nonetheless, I'm glad your plane is on a different continent. Your skill-of-craft and attention to detail is astonishing.

jrevens
04-23-2018, 11:21 AM
It’s a real work of art, Ben... a thing of beauty! :)

I’d like to go to Australia and take some painting lessons from you! Actually, I’d like to take some painting lessons from a lot of builders on this forum.

David47
04-23-2018, 03:47 PM
Well, it’s official. Ben has just won the Concourse de Elegance at every airshow in Australia for the next 5 years, with an option to extend that to 10 !.

Your build is extraordinary Ben. Congratulations.

rosslr
04-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Nice Ben. Ready for the Simpson in June??? !!!

cheers

r

Mcgaero
04-23-2018, 11:08 PM
Thanks, your all too kind!
I get a lot of enjoyment out of creating things and the aim of this project was to build a neat aeroplane and enjoy flying it, winning awards is not high on the list for me as I don’t want to be too precious about the aeroplane and get plenty of use out of it when it’s finished.

Ross, June sounds good.... 2019?! ;)

colospace
04-24-2018, 01:27 PM
That paint alone will make your plane 5 knots faster!!!

Mcgaero
07-23-2018, 02:19 AM
Well after holidaying and visiting family in the UK/Europe for 5 weeks and then 2 weeks of work the kitfox hasn't had any attention for 7 weeks but we are back into it and fired up to finish this aeroplane!
I must admit thou I am a little bit jealous of everyone heading to Oshkosh but I have been living a lot of the good life lately so time to get back to work.

This past week I have been mounting all the avionics/radio boxs and planing wiring and fuel plumbing.
I also had a bit of a dilemma with my alternate air system as I needed the cable to push the door open when the knob was pulled out from the panel so I ended up making a mechanism to do this and also hold spring tension on the door when it's closed.
Not sure how these photos will turn out as I had to reduce them to make them up load.

David47
07-23-2018, 05:09 AM
As usual Ben, classy workmanship. I’m really looking forward to seeing this aeroplane when it’s finished.

Esser
07-23-2018, 02:41 PM
Your plane looks so good Ben, I may have to fly to Aus just to look at it!

Mcgaero
07-23-2018, 07:31 PM
Thanks Dave and Josh, hope you all enjoy Oshkosh!
Your Kitfox is looking amazing Josh! Love the paint scheme!

Mcgaero
11-20-2018, 02:44 AM
Its well and truly time for a progress update!
I've had a good run the last few weeks on the wiring so it's all pretty well sorted apart from fire wall fwd.
I have ended up fitting a dual lightspeed electronic ignition system that has taken some planing electrically, involving a backup power supply and switching for redundancy. It is essentially the same set up as Cubcrafters are running with good results both in performance and economy increases.
Next were the sticks, I machined up end caps with the trim toggle switchs recessed in the end and a PTT switch just below the stick grip.
I mounted the head set jacks in the middle just behind the seat, there is a face plate that sandwiches the baggage bag so just the jacks will be exposed. I also added a USB port In this location. The thinking behind this position for the jacks is that the leads/controllers for the headsets will lay between the two seats and will be clear of the doors as I intend to fly with the doors off every now and then in the summer evenings. (We've done this with another aircraft I've flown and it's great fun at low speed)
Covered the firewall yesterday and getting ready to put the engine back on for good, then it will be on to engine baffles, wiring probes/censers etc. I still have to make up a chromoly bracket to mount the crank angle sensors for the electronic ignition but that's on the list of a thousand small jobs to do....
It feels like it's at the 90% complete and 90% to go stage but I find it the most enjoyable stage, adding all the finishing touches.16546

Mcgaero
11-20-2018, 03:07 AM
Headset jacks and USB

tracstarr
11-20-2018, 06:24 AM
Oh I really like your headset jacks and usb setup/position. I'm going to run with that idea too.

efwd
11-20-2018, 06:48 AM
Man, your wiring is beautiful. Makes me want to remove my harnesses and replace them. Want to visit Southern CA anytime soon?;)

Mcgaero
11-20-2018, 12:33 PM
Eddie, I would love to visit Southern CA... maybe not for wiring reasons thou, I think I would go nuts if I had to run another bunch of wires to soon haha ;)
At the end of the day the electrons dont know how neat the wiring is, there's a reason I've taken so long to build this kitfox too, I can't help myself but I get enjoyment out of it.
Sounds like your getting close, Looking forward to hearing of the first flight!

bbs428
11-26-2018, 06:41 PM
Now there's a nice bit of wiring.
There's a certain beauty in the way the wires want to go. I can appreciate the effort. Well worth it.
I was lucky enough to visit Perth and Sidney back in the 80's/90's with the US Navy.
Your nations hospitality was top notch. Created many a fond memory for a thirsty sailor!

Cheers! :)

Mcgaero
11-27-2018, 02:54 AM
Thanks bbs428, and awesome to hear you had a great experience visiting Aus!
We can definitely say the same about your nations hospitality, we were lucky enough to visited some of the northern states of your country (Oshkosh included!) and were made to feel very welcome!

Mcgaero
11-28-2018, 03:26 AM
A sneaky little Kitfox project during my work week... I have been looking for a vent for my heater outlet on the firewall but just couldn't find the right size or shape. The only answer was to make one.
Quite happy with the result, just needs a flash of paint and it will be good to go :D

Paul Z
11-28-2018, 07:23 AM
Ben,
I’ve been away from the site after several months, looking at it you have some serious skills relative to fiberglass work, sheet metal work, and machining. Your cowling looks awesome.

Paul Z

Mcgaero
11-28-2018, 01:41 PM
Welcome back Paul and thanks for the kind words! I feel like I'm more of a "Jack of all trades and master of none".
I haven't posted much in several months either but as I'm in the finishing stages of my build I'd like to try and post a lot more regular. I have really enjoyed following other builds on this foram and the excitement of aeroplanes coming alive so I want to do my best at sharing this part of my build.

jrevens
11-28-2018, 06:51 PM
That looks really nice Ben... like everything that you've shared with us! Beautiful workmanship. What engine are you using? Based on that vent, I assume you will have some kind of heat source (like an exhaust pipe muff?) in the engine compartment.

Mcgaero
11-28-2018, 07:30 PM
Thanks John, I have a 233 lycoming so yes, using a heat muff and a valve on the firewall just behind this vent. I wanted some veins in the vent outlet to direct the hot air down slightly so it doesn't rise up under the instrument panel.

This photo is of the heater valve on my firewall, the valve is made by Jabiru (Australian light aircraft/engine manufacturer) I thought it was really nicely made and compact.16580

bbs428
11-28-2018, 08:42 PM
Just spent some time looking over your build thread Ben.

Thank you for all the detailed pics and write ups.
The posts from all the builders are fun and thought provoking.
Your firewall, throttle quadrant, custom brackets, headset jacks
and usb setup/position and all the great bodywork/paint are 1st rate.

I'm excited! I can work a few more hours...
Time to get back to work on the kitfox!! Lol. :D

Mcgaero
11-29-2018, 03:14 AM
That’s great to hear, I think the ideas that get ignited and shared around the homebuilt/experimental community are fantastic. My favorite part of Oshkosh is wondering around the homebuilts and seeing everyone’s different personalities built into there aircraft.

Back to work... :D

Frontier Fox
11-29-2018, 08:48 AM
I too am impressed with your workmanship. Makes me want to try harder. I especially like the throttle location and was wondering what type it is and where you sourced it.

Mcgaero
11-29-2018, 12:27 PM
Thanks Joe, the throttle quadrant is one that came from Aircraft Spruce, I modified it a bit to suit and put a different knob on it. If you look up the quadrant section, at A/C spruce you will see them.

Mcgaero
12-01-2018, 04:11 PM
Finished a false panel that hides all the wires and hoses running to the centre console, this also has the heater vent mounted in it.
Next it's onto finishing the centre console.16603

David47
12-01-2018, 09:21 PM
Ben, you've created a Van Gough. I still haven't graduated beyond crayons ....

Stella workmanship. Congratulations. Sometime a think a video "fly through" of your build would benefit a lot of people.

Mcgaero
12-02-2018, 01:27 AM
Thanks David, not quite a Van Gough... he probably would have finished it in a few months the way he pumped paintings out. ;)
I bet your secretly churning away on your masterpiece and almost ready to fly....
I can feel my self getting more eager to become airborne as the end is getting closer. I think Ross has given up as the years have rolled by but I promise Mt Beauty will be getting harassed in the near future by a silver fox!

rosslr
12-02-2018, 03:15 AM
I'm listening and watching U2!

I told people on this forum when you started Ben that your plane will set new standards! It looks great in the photos but its even more amazing to see in real life!

Cant wait for you both to get airborne - Mt Beauty will be ready and welcoming for you both!

What months are you both aiming for first flights?? Gayle and I would love to be there if possible.

cheers

r

Mcgaero
12-02-2018, 03:31 AM
Haha I thought you might be Ross...
To be honest I don't really have any fixed plans for when it will fly, I just want to keep putting in as many hours as I can to finish it the way I want.
Still lots to do, fabricating mounts for engine crank angle sensors and a fair amount of firewall forward to set up. Lead time on the propeller is feb/march.
It's all coming together nicely thou.

David47
12-02-2018, 03:52 PM
March/April timeframe for my first flight, just not quite sure which year ...

Engine crank angle sensor Ben ?. I see some kind of evil plot developing here ....

Mcgaero
12-02-2018, 11:36 PM
David, I have fitted a dual lightspeed ignition system which requires crank angle sensors. I have spoken to a few people running the champion systems and are lucky to get 200-300 hours out of them before either a control module goes or a coil, hence the reason I mentioned giving me a call at some stage about it.
We are not sure if it is a heat related issue so it might be a good idea to set up cooling blast tubes if your going to use that system, then it might be ok. Any how give me a call if u want to know more... there’s also interesting points on the internal altinator that might be of interest.

Mcgaero
12-16-2018, 02:26 AM
Tidied up some loose ends with the wiring and instrument plumbing this weekend before installing the firewall for good. Tomorrow I plan on removing the engine from its humidity controlled bag and bolting it back on.
Not far of giving this wiring the smoke test.... 16662

rosslr
12-16-2018, 02:52 AM
A work of art Ben.
r

mr bill
12-16-2018, 07:41 AM
Really well done!

Jerrytex
12-16-2018, 08:05 AM
Hi Ben, your work is awesome! Is that some type of coating on the back of the firewall?

jrevens
12-16-2018, 10:13 AM
So clean and beautiful, Ben!

airlina
12-16-2018, 11:10 AM
Ben what prop do you plan on running on The IO-233? Bruce N199CL

bumsteer
12-16-2018, 12:37 PM
Top notch craftmanship Ben! Nice!

Rick

David47
12-16-2018, 03:33 PM
Outstanding.

Mcgaero
12-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Jerrytex - I have just glued the same leather used in the interior to the back of the firewall, I think it should be good for a bit of sound deadening while being relatively light and fire resistant.

Bruce - Airmaster are putting a propeller together for me as we speak, it will be a 2 blade Sensenich, electric constant speed.

Mcgaero
12-17-2018, 02:44 AM
Engine went in for good today!!!
I think those rocker covers look a bit plain... :rolleyes:

airlina
12-17-2018, 03:46 AM
Thanks Ben, that engine prop combo should prove interesting, anxious to see the results, but take your time finishing her up, because this is one special airplane! Bruce N199CL

rosslr
12-17-2018, 04:04 AM
I think those rocker covers look a bit plain..

Same colour as the rest of the plane Ben! Not considering a little stripe are you?!

r

Mcgaero
12-17-2018, 12:46 PM
Hahaha, you have a good point there Ross!
I may have some ideas in the pipeline... we will just have to wait and see what comes out ;)

David47
12-18-2018, 06:26 PM
Not long now Ben. It's looking really good. And researching that EI issue you mentioned before.

Mcgaero
12-19-2018, 01:31 AM
Thanks David.
Have a look at Lycoming Mandatory Special Advisory No: SA 130-1113
This was regarding replacement of coils but your engine may have the later coils anyway.

Mcgaero
01-02-2019, 01:38 AM
Progress has been slow over Christmas but it's nice to spend time with friends and family at this time of year. I did managed to make a duct for the oil cooler using another duct that I chopped, glued and moulded plasticine around to get the right shape for a mold. Also made a bracket to mount the lightspeed ignition coils and various other small jobs I've lost track off... the list is long but it is getting shorter. Unfortunately work calls for another 7 days.

David47
01-02-2019, 06:11 AM
As usual, nice work Ben .... and just curious, is that firewall one you made or did it come with the kit ?. Also, didn’t you get an oil cooler duct ?.

Mcgaero
01-02-2019, 11:54 AM
Firewall came with the kit David but I have changed a few things with it.
The kit did come with an earls automotive oil cooler and duct but I didn’t really like the quality of it and the way it was mounted to the firewall so bought a light weight aircraft cooler, hence the reason I had to make another duct.

David47
01-07-2019, 05:15 AM
My firewall is straight stainless, without the patterning like yours. I haven't got to the oil cooler yet so not familiar with any quality issues, if any. I've had a couple of issues with the engine mount though - interference with the rear mounted fuel pump on the carb engine version and another interference with the mount and engine block casting. Fortunately, I have an excellent aircraft welder at YMMB (ex client of mine) so he's sorted these minor annoyances.

Mcgaero
01-07-2019, 12:06 PM
Good to hear your getting it sorted David, I had the same clearance issues you mentioned with the engine mount. The firewall pattern is something I put on before I assembled it.
I guess choosing an engine that’s not real common we were bound to come across a couple of hurdles.
Looking forward to seeing more progress pics of your fox, I bet your steaming ahead!

rosslr
01-07-2019, 12:54 PM
With you both getting close to finish (!) can I suggest you book out dates for Ausfly this year at Narromine? - 17-20 October. Craig and I are planing it and if you both come it will be 4 KF together! might be an Australian record!

And we can watch while you both take out the grad champion prizes!

cheers

r

Mcgaero
01-07-2019, 08:37 PM
Good thinking Ross, I might have to put in for holidays.
Do you know if they still allow under wing camping? I haven’t been to Ausfly for a few years now.

David47
01-07-2019, 10:07 PM
Ausfly is a definite possibility for me - if that makes sense.... As per Ben, do you camp underwing or take the luxury of a hotel room ?. As for prizes, I'm happy to just get there - and then park a loooong way from Ben's Da Vinci/Van Gough !:D

Mcgaero
01-07-2019, 11:23 PM
Na we have to park all the Kitfox’s together, I keep telling everyone, mine will be the plane old silver one with no stripes or nothing.... I’m coming for fun not awards! ;)

Mcgaero
01-08-2019, 01:18 AM
Found the answer on the Ausfly website, Under wing camping it is!
I better get the wings on first before I get ahead of my self :D

https://ausfly.com.au/2018/11/ausfly-2019-all-aviators-under-one-sky-the-dates-are-set-17th-20th-october-2019/

rosslr
01-08-2019, 12:50 PM
Excellent! Yes, there are all options for camping and even some motel rooms there at the field. Gayle and I prefer to camp under wing - there is a good ammenities block.

Its going to be a fun year flying I think - we are planning an Arnhem land/Kimberleys trip for May/June.

I also have been talking to Manager of the Western Parks at
broken Hill re access to the corner country parks and its ooking good - more details as they become available.

cheers

r

Les Elliott
02-04-2019, 03:31 PM
Excellent! Yes, there are all options for camping and even some motel rooms there at the field. Gayle and I prefer to camp under wing - there is a good ammenities block.

Its going to be a fun year flying I think - we are planning an Arnhem land/Kimberleys trip for May/June.

I also have been talking to Manager of the Western Parks at
broken Hill re access to the corner country parks and its ooking good - more details as they become available.

cheers

r
Hi Ross would you give me a call Les UL Power Australia

Mcgaero
02-25-2019, 03:58 AM
Well it's been a while so lots to update on the project.
I had been cogitating the cabane bush gear for some time and finally decided that now was the best time to bite the bullet and get it done. It's cost me a small fortune with the Aussie dollar and freight but I couldn't be happier with the look. I put a bit of my own spin on the gear (as I usually do and take the more difficult road), I purchased the cabane gear through Kitfox without the TK1s and then went down the path of using ACME shocks which required a few modifications to the cabane gear to make them work. Kitfox have a great product with the monster shock gear and TK1s but the ACME shocks offered a cleaner look that I was chacing and where a little bit lighter. I made all the fairings out of carbon fibre and streamlined the v brace.
Lots of other odd jobs getting ticked of the list like painting and lettering of the centre console, fairing the horizontal tailplane struts and assembly of the tail end.
The wings will be one of the last things to go on due to limited hangar space at the moment.
21761217702177121772217802177921778217772177321774 2177521776

Esser
02-25-2019, 07:34 AM
Nice Ben! I am in the market for shocks too and was looking at the Acmes. What mods did you have to do to make them work? Are you going to fair them too?

Mcgaero
02-25-2019, 12:29 PM
Hey Josh, the main part was the v brace and clearance for the top attach point of the shocker. ACME make eccentric bushes for this top point but it’s still not enough so I had to scallop a section out and weld a radius pice in to get the clearance. Other than that it was just machining bushes to match the gear.
Really happy with the quality of the shocks thou and the guys from ACME where great to deal with!
We will see how they perform..... in the near future I hope.

Mcgaero
02-25-2019, 12:35 PM
I might look at fairing the shocks once I’m flying. I kind of like the look of them the way they are but there would be a whole lot of drag being the perfect cylindrical shape they are.

bbs428
02-25-2019, 09:23 PM
Nice workmanship on that v-brace and fairings Ben!
Your gaining all around with less weight and the smaller frontal area with the Acme shock
and your fairings are cutting a lot of drag.
Besides with those tires your only getting so far aerodynamically. ;)
I like it. Looks great!

Mcgaero
02-26-2019, 04:07 PM
Thanks bbs428!
Kitfox got to see some sunshine this morning :cool:
I’m getting excited!!!!

David47
02-26-2019, 06:17 PM
Awesome Ben, just awesome. No other words ...

efwd
02-26-2019, 06:58 PM
I really like the panel. Although mine is a polar opposite with all the glass I have but I would love to build another with a steam gauge set up.

Mcgaero
03-14-2019, 03:44 AM
The latest project has been a tail wheel bracket for the T3, I have felt that this is a week point and have herd of the bracket cracking that’s attached to the tail post.
I have designed a 6061 billet fitting that replaces the mount brackets of the T3 and ties the original mount points together as well as picking up on the cross tube intended for the transport braces. This should share the torsional side loads better and not load up the tail post bracket so much. it does add .9 of a pound (400grams) but as I am running the Lycoming it should work out nicely with the w&b.

I ended up getting 4 fittings machined up as it was going to be a costly exercise just to make one and not much more for the extras. If anyone is interested I will have 3 spare to sell at what they cost me which is $690 AUD each + shipping (roughly $490 USD)
I’m not sure if all the cross tubes will be welded in the same spot so I have left this hole un drilled.
If purchased, buyer must take full responsibility for the modification.

PaulSS
03-14-2019, 06:41 AM
That doesn't look like it's going to shift in a hurry. Lovely bit of workmanship :D

colospace
03-14-2019, 03:25 PM
Ben, your going to need to get that plane to OSH somehow so we can all see the stuning work up close. Maybe you should ship it over and do a tour of the USA before/after.

airlina
03-14-2019, 04:06 PM
Some amazing craftsmanship and engineering going into this build. Nice job Ben. Bruce N199CL

Mcgaero
03-15-2019, 03:36 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the kind comments!
I promise this is the last thing I pick on to mod.... I hope.
Its time to get this bird flying!:o

Mcgaero
07-07-2019, 02:08 AM
IT HAS WINGS!!!
Feels like a milestone to bolt the wings on for good. Over the last couple of days I have finished rigging all the flight controls and wiring/plumbing for the wings. The list is getting shorter and the excitement is building. ;)

rosslr
07-07-2019, 02:42 AM
Yes!!! GentleBen, start your engine!!!

airlina
07-07-2019, 03:13 AM
Looking great Ben , you are getting close. What prop are you running on the Lycoming. Thanks Bruce N199CL

Mcgaero
07-07-2019, 03:25 AM
Ross, the engine is still preserved so makes sense to keep it that way until I'm ready to go... I'm having a hard time holding myself back from that starter button thou :D

Bruce, Propeller is an Airmaster CSP

airlina
07-07-2019, 07:57 AM
Thanks Ben , can't wait to see how she performs, great job. Bruce n199CL

DesertFox4
07-07-2019, 08:22 AM
Congrats Ben. Exciting when the wings go on for the last time.😀

David47
07-15-2019, 04:33 PM
She'll be a rockstar at any flyins Ben. Very nice job, congratulations on a work of engineering art.

Mcgaero
10-27-2019, 03:36 AM
After 7 years it’s hard to believe we are at this point... it’s paperwork, final inspection and then there are no more excuses!
Engine run was last week which went great with it firing on what felt like the first cylinder, much to my relief as there was a small crowd watching on.
I will post some more detailed pics at a later date when I get around to taking more.

airlina
10-27-2019, 05:45 AM
Ben that is one mean lookin Kitfox, she looks like she's ready to launch just sitting on the ramp. I suspect you are in for some neat Australian adventures. Keep us posted on the performance one you get to flying-enjoy. Has been fun following your high quality build. Bruce N199CL

DesertFox4
10-27-2019, 11:04 AM
Congrats Ben. Finish line is close now. Looks great. It will fly great.

bbs428
10-27-2019, 11:22 AM
Sweet ride. Love all the details. All the best on your maiden! :D

Shadowrider
10-27-2019, 07:42 PM
Looks sweet! I love the louvers on the side of the cowl.

PaulSS
10-29-2019, 07:11 PM
If you can just deliver it to Manjimup that would be great. It would have been Bunbury but we're at our daughter's house for a while. The product of all your hard work is looking very, very nice indeed :D

Mcgaero
12-03-2019, 03:50 AM
For those who are not on the Kitfox Facebook page, Saturday was the big day... our Kitfox took to the skys for its first flight and flew beautifully, hands off straight and level.
I only have a couple of teething issues at this point. One is the airmaster propeller not governing properly with the issue narrowed down to the controller so it is on its way back for repair. I have to say airmaster have been fantastic to deal with. The other issue is the Earth X battery fault indicator light coming on in flight and it has also come on when charged with the optimate charger, the aircraft charging system is regulating properly so I’m thinking it’s a weak or un balanced cell.
Looking forward to sorting these couple of issues out and keep on test flying. :D

efwd
12-03-2019, 06:34 AM
Very Nice Ben. Congratulations on the first flight. Fortunately, EarthX will likely be as good at taking care of your issue as your prop company.

Shadowrider
12-03-2019, 10:51 AM
Looks sweet! Glad you got the maiden under your belt. I know I was!

bbs428
12-03-2019, 12:05 PM
Well done! I'm sure you'll get it sorted out quickly. :D

Mcgaero
12-03-2019, 12:38 PM
Thanks, yes talking to earth x now so hopefully get it sorted.

DesertFox4
12-03-2019, 04:22 PM
Congrats Ben on your first flight!👍👍😀

Get one of EarthX’s Optimate battery chargers. Just bought their fancy one and it is all automatic in the way it handles the EarthX batteries. It auto tests every time you hook up the charger and goes into the appropriate mode depending on the batteries condition and requirements. They will go into Save mode if the battery gets discharged too low. It knows to balance the cells as needed. Mine has a “tune” button I push for continuous constant power when I’m running my avionics and setting parameters in the glass panel. https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/optimate-tm-275-9-5a-13-2v-lithium-battery-charger
When I was at Kitfox Aircraft last time I saw these in use on their aircraft.

Mcgaero
12-04-2019, 12:35 AM
Thanks DesertFox4, I’m pretty sure I have the same optimate charger your speaking of but I’ve also had the fault light come on when being charged on this so I recon it’s a faulty battery...