PDA

View Full Version : Jeffs 340 Kitfox

Pages : [1] 2

jmodguy
06-19-2016, 06:28 PM
I found an easy place to mount the AP servos - behind the seats. Can't use the header tank due to the fuel system I am using. Might turn it into a smoke tank...
Made some fancy tube clamps to attach the pitch and roll linkage.
Need to get my fuel valve from Andair. I need a duplex fuel valve. The area under the console is chock full of fuel pumps and filters.

mr bill
06-19-2016, 07:44 PM
I also mounted my servos behind the seat. Looks a little flimsy, but is quite strong.

efwd
06-19-2016, 10:51 PM
Hello
I hope to put AP in my SS7 but I'm a bit concerned about how difficult it is. Almost seems like you need engineering knowledge. I mean, it seems that everything that you do, from the lengths of the drive arm to the lengths of the push pull arms, changes everything with regard to rate and distance of travel. Are these systems difficult to figure out. I know the directions are not aircraft specific unless it seems your building an RV.
Thanks, Eddie

jmodguy
06-21-2016, 04:54 PM
The documents for the GRT servos are pretty easy to understand and they emphasize not to over center the servo arm or you could break things. When I set mine up, I aligned the servo arm pivots with the idler arm pivots for both roll and pitch. The tube clamps were installed on the idler arm to match the outermost hole on the servo arm. If this is too sensitive I can always move the rod end on the servo in.
It's really not that difficult, just stare at it a while and you will come up with a plan... thats kinda how it worked for me :D

dcsfoto
06-24-2016, 02:59 PM
I am using a Garmin AP

Kitfox has a bracket for pitch roll is easy

D Kelm
7SS 912iS

efwd
06-24-2016, 09:00 PM
I'm finding out that Kitfox must have a back room with all kinds of stuff that they don't put in the catalog.

colospace
06-25-2016, 08:39 AM
I agree on that "back room" comment; hope the new online catalog fixes that.
If I put in an autopilot it will be Dynon. I already made a mockup of their servo and made a bracket for the roll axis location (back when I was idled for some reason pre-covering).
Anyone have a photo of the Kitfox pitch servo bracket installation?

Dave S
06-25-2016, 08:49 AM
Actually, having a "back room" is a good thing......I have come to understand the reason there is a backroom @ Kitfox is because John & Debra are constantly thinking up improvements and bringing forth new ideas that may eventually become a catalog item plus they might have a part here or there, too few to catalog, that could be useful to someone but not used in the current plane. :)

Dave S

jmodguy
07-10-2016, 02:49 AM
I took last week off and was able to finish wiring 340KF. Only thing left is the exterior lighting.
The firewall is assembled and ready for sealant.
I do believe I am almost ready to cover the fuselage. I want to install the razorback before though. I wrote to Kitfox and Debra said they used to offer the razorback kit but now weld them on. Shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate one.
Getting the fuel system under the console was challenging but it is all there. I will need to make some lines to run from the duplex valve to the tanks.
I added a few pics to my photo album
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=455

jmodguy
07-22-2016, 04:38 PM
Rigging the wings tomorrow!! WOOT WOOT!

jmodguy
07-23-2016, 02:53 PM
Wings on... Time for a happy dance!
Had some great friends and EAA67 members helping out. Was a good day!

rosslr
07-23-2016, 03:18 PM
Congratulations on getting that far Jeff! It starts to look like a plane now!

Enjoying following your build too.

Are they 4 batteries on the floor? Must be putting a huge engine in that thing!

cheers

r

jmodguy
07-23-2016, 03:44 PM
Ross

Yeah i got a real sweet deal on a PT-6! :eek:
Just kidding....
The batteries were used to block the wheels. I jacked the tail in the air because I didn't want to be bending over to do the work. Worked great.

rosslr
07-23-2016, 04:17 PM
Yeah, thought as much!! :)

Getting the tail up really does makes things easier with the wings on - much less ducking every time you need to walk around it!

Guess you are up to the rigging now? - Best wishes and looking forward to following the rest of the build!

cheers

DesertFox4
07-23-2016, 05:24 PM
Looking good Jeff. Even without covering these are good looking airplanes.
Keep after it. Rigging is a nice milestone.

jmodguy
07-24-2016, 05:14 PM
Pulled the wings off today to get the steel parts match drilled to the spar. I was able to get the spar attach stiffeners drilled today. Plan to drill the strut attach brackets tomorrow and spread some glue around!
I also fabricated the autopilot servo linkages. Sounds technical but it was really just tapping out an aluminum tube.
Gathered up all the piece parts for the tanks, butt ribs, and other wing related stuff. Trying to look ahead a step or 2... 3 is too far and I won't remember where i was.
I was looking at the pitot placement. Just outside the strut on the left side is where I think I'll put it. Need to get some more tubing...
By the end of the week I hope to have the wings about ready to cover.
Won't make Osh this year, but next year.... a 340 powered KF5 will be going!

TahoeTim
07-24-2016, 05:45 PM
You just need a few more light fixtures so you can work late into the night.:D

jmodguy
07-25-2016, 05:23 PM
Got the steel parts glued and riveted on the right wing. Left wing tomorrow!

Its hot enough here Tahoe! Don't need any more heat. :D
I have an old dual halogen fixture at the hangar and it really puts off a lot of heat (and light)!

TahoeTim
07-25-2016, 05:31 PM
LED lights :)

jmodguy
07-28-2016, 06:14 PM
Put the wings back on and set rib #1 today. Got the parts for the interplane strut ready to go for tomorrow.
Plans for tomorrow are to set the butt ribs and the interplane struts.
Getting close to being ready to cover the wings! I need to flush the Kreem out of the tanks. I plan to use Bill Hirsch sealer. It has worked well for me sealing motorcycle tanks.

TahoeTim
07-28-2016, 06:31 PM
hold on there regarding using a tank sealer!

Why would you want to do anything different than the instructions on the tank? There's a sticker on each tank and threads here on how to slosh the tanks to clean them. Not to be dramatic but pilots have been killed with fuel issues. Please don't try some motorcycle slosh just because it works on a bike.

Even if you are going to put the sealer on the outside I'd stop and search threads here.

jmodguy
07-28-2016, 06:44 PM
Tahoe
I didn't decide to do this on a whim! I did a search here and read that the Kreem flakes off. Kreem in famous for this in motorcycle (and other) tanks too. Others recommended using the Hirsch sealer as well.
The Hirsch sealant is used on many vehicles other than motorcycles and is perfect for fiberglass tanks. It is safe for all fuels and is safe for fuel with alcohol additives.
and Aircraft Spruce sells it as a tank sealer ;)

TahoeTim
07-28-2016, 07:00 PM
We are talking about brand new SS7 tanks, correct?

From an internet article:

"I have been investigating aircraft accidents for 37 years and can”t begin to tell you how many accidents I have worked in my career that the cause was a fuel tank sloshing compound. I have yet to see any of the sloshing compound work as advertised without eventually running to the finger screens and obstructing the pick up area for fuel, thus starving the engine and having power loss or interuption. The pro seal works well when applied properly, The sloshing compound just doesn”t. My advice to owners with fuel tank leak problems. “DON”T USE SLOSHING COMPOUND OF ANY KIND”!!!!!!! It doesn”t work!!!!! Lucky Louque/ Air Salvage of Dallas/////////"

I fly a 70 year old Ercoupe (and am building a SS7) and I could tell you story after story that would back up the above comments. Eventually, it breaks down and begins to clog the screens.

Off my soapbox now.

jmodguy
07-29-2016, 01:33 AM
Tahoe
No I am building a Series 5. The tanks I have are sealed with Kreem (says so on the tank) and this stuff is notorious for peeling in ANY type of tank whether it is steel, plastic or FG.
The comment you made is precisely why I am stripping out the Kreem. It will fail. No doubt in my mind. I would much rather get this fixed now than deal with flushing a tank mounted in a wing.
What are the SS7 tanks lined with?

Dick B in KY
07-29-2016, 01:45 PM
Nothing for the SS7 tanks. There is a check procedure using lung pressure to check for leaks before installing.

Dick B

HighWing
07-29-2016, 03:53 PM
A question. Are the failed - peeled - sloshing compound. Incidents in the referenced article on Kitfox tanks or maybe aluminum tanks? Entirely different animal? The reason. I ask is that I had 900 hours on my first Model IV with factory Kreemed tanks over 9 years. I had a slight leak near the filler cap that prompted a rinse and a re-Kreem on one tank. Almost half of those 900 hours were spent flying with groups as large as 8 airplanes and none of them had Kreem issues - nor did the vast majority of the owner builders of the 40 or so Kitfoxes shipped per month in the Heyday. Yes there were some - very few - instances of peeling and like some comments about Kreem over the years, some of the fixes that first instance reported on the original Kitfox Email List provoked were about as amazing. Some removed the finger strainers to prevent the Kreem peel from clogging their "finger strainers" - no kidding!

Ethanol fuels became manditory in California - my home stare - in january 2004 and was introduced in early 2003. I flew 4+ of my nine years with alcohol containing fuels - still no problems. For sure, this is a "To Each His Own" proposition, but... I guess I'm just getting tired.

jmodguy
09-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Finally got the batteries mounted and power checks complete! Stuff works and I even get the audible alerts from the EIS and my 496!
Looks like fuselage covering is in the very near future!
Need to get the wings on and get the pitot tube mounted and plumbed as well as the wingtip lighting wires.
Will build up my engine this fall. Exciting times!! :D

DesertFox4
09-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Sounds like good progress Jeff.
Always a good sign when you power up and the expensive smoke stays inside the avionics.;)

jmodguy
09-20-2016, 05:43 PM
Had a good friend come and help me roll 340KF on her back. Just sitting on the ground is almost the perfect height to cover the bottom! Took a few days off so I hope to have the fuse covered by next week.
I have been busy ordering engine parts too. B&C really did me good. The starter, alternator and oil filter mount arrived today and they look top notch.
Airpower has been really helpful in piecing my engine together so I get exactly what I want.
This has been a really cool experience and everything seems to be falling into place at just the right time.
Sold my 68 E33A last week and made enough to cover most of my engine parts so that was another good sign! :D
I have been taking photos, just not posting them. Will share soon.

jmodguy
09-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Working on covering the fuselage. So far I am averaging a side a day...

jmodguy
10-11-2016, 05:34 PM
Been taping the fuse. All I have left is the 2 lower edge strips. Goes pretty quick when you just get to it...

jmodguy
10-11-2016, 05:52 PM
1st picture is when I left the hangar today.
2nd picture is the dorsal fin. I built it from scratch based on pics and advice on one of the threads here. Thanks to all!
3rd pic is the battery area in the left rear fuse.

Ordered my gear from AvWeld. Hope to see it soon.
Engine parts on order too... :D

efwd
10-11-2016, 07:49 PM
Jeff
whats the gadget that you have mounted to the airframe with hose clamps in the tail?
Eddie

DesertFox4
10-11-2016, 10:39 PM
Good to see covering on yor bird Jeff. Feels like good progress in this part of the build.

I'm in wiring now. Wish you were here. Could use your skills.

jmodguy
10-12-2016, 08:14 AM
Eddie
It is a grounding tab. Comes with the battery relocate kit. Had to remove powdercoat before i secured it.

jmodguy
10-12-2016, 06:22 PM
Good to see covering on yor bird Jeff. Feels like good progress in this part of the build.

I'm in wiring now. Wish you were here. Could use your skills.

Wish I could be there to help... PM me if you have any questions or concerns or need to know where to get something.
October is being very kind to me in staying warm long enough to get a couple coats of primer-sealer on before it gets too cold. Supposed to be in the high 70s next week. Pretty good for Indiana in October.

DesertFox4
10-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Thanks Jeff.
Getting under the 100's F. here finally. Great flying weather about 20 days away now.

jmodguy
10-18-2016, 06:10 PM
2 coats of primer filler completed last Fri. Engine parts today!! Got a few more things to get but this is the majority :D

DesertFox4
10-18-2016, 06:48 PM
Nice forward progress. Oops. Watching too much football.
Looks great Jeff.

Lots of parts on that table.

mcomeaux53
10-21-2016, 07:54 PM
What engine are you installing in aircraft? Nice work...

jmodguy
10-22-2016, 02:46 PM
Mcomeaux
I am going with an IO-340 with fuel injection and electronic ignition from flyefii.com. Will be building the engine up in the near future.

jmodguy
11-17-2016, 07:16 PM
Got my AvWeld gear today. Looks pretty nice! Powder coated black.
I think I have my colors picked out. With the engine I am using I thought it would look cool painted up like a 1970 Boss 302 Mustang. Going with orange with black trim.
Sorry about the pic, all I had was an orange highlighter. The color will be closer to Hemi or Hugger orange.

Av8r3400
11-17-2016, 07:52 PM
Muscle plane with attitude. Sexxxy...

http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/1970/1970_00065_04.jpg

efwd
11-17-2016, 09:27 PM
Man, if you match those colors that thing is going to be awesome. Nice choice. Paint schemes aren't the easiest thing to decide on.

jmodguy
11-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Av8r, efwd
Thanks for the positive comments! I thrashed about trying to find something that would fit the airplane and engine combo. I wanted something different and have always wanted a Boss 302... I think it is a good fit. Now I need a logo of a really musclebound fox for the tail flash.

Av8r3400
11-18-2016, 06:44 PM
http://img03.deviantart.net/dee2/i/2012/202/c/e/anthro_fox_practice_by_dsa09-d583ino.jpg

jmodguy
11-18-2016, 08:59 PM
HO LEE CRAP!!! Thats perfect! Free ride to Av8r should we cross paths!

efwd
11-18-2016, 11:38 PM
Damn! Ask and you shall receive.

jmodguy
02-23-2017, 05:10 PM
Been a while since I posted an update...
Last nite a couple guys stopped by and we got the case halves together. Had an IA come by today to give it a looksee today and got the go ahead. Exciting times!
Since my Kitfox is a Boss 340 (Boss 302 tribute) I figured I would go with Ford blue for the case and cylinders with black accents.

jmodguy
02-23-2017, 05:13 PM
A quick look after the paint.
Cutting weight wherever I can. Taper fin cylinders, only one idler under the accessory case, lightweight flywheel from flyefii.com etc etc

DesertFox4
02-23-2017, 06:23 PM
Looking great Jeff. She'll be a kick to fly behind.

jmodguy
03-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Another update...
Cylinders going on today...

Got my AV Weld gear on today. Adds about 2 ft in width over stock bungee gear and an inch taller. Will be installing Desser 22" tires tomorrow.

jmodguy
03-05-2017, 07:04 PM
New sneakers....

DesertFox4
03-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Looking good Jeff. Those will work fine when you fly it to Arizona for winter Kitfoxing.;)

jmodguy
03-06-2017, 08:03 PM
I would like to bring it out to the desert for a bit to see how she performs!

Attached a couple engine pics. Will be ready to hang in a day or two. All that is left is to check rocker arm clearance.

jmodguy
03-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Got the engine hung today! Will have to pull it for paint and to fix the engine mount. The lower attach point s about 3/16" out of alignment with the fuselage hole. :(

Flybyjim
03-11-2017, 06:34 PM
What is the HP of this engine, it looks huge but it also looks way cool!

jmodguy
03-11-2017, 07:20 PM
This is an IO-340 (stroked 320). Has 9:1 pistons, Superior cold air sump, and electronic ignition and fuel injection from flyefii.com. I'm guessing about 180-190hp. Don't have a dyno to confirm it but based on information from ECI/Titan I think it's pretty close.

Flybyjim
03-11-2017, 07:29 PM
Holy Cow, you will be going vertical and doing all those fancy tail skids holding altitude, you will be in the show at Oshkosh. Good for you, what event led you to put such a large engine in the Fox?
By the way, your setup looks good from your photos, nice work.

jmodguy
03-12-2017, 11:04 AM
I guess I was looking for something a little different... and someone said it couldn't/shouldn't be done...
That said, not long after I mentioned it in the engine forum, there was an announcement from Kitfox that they had flown a 340 on their factory aircraft! I think they are still testing but Rans and Just Aircraft have also installed a 340. I think they are looking to compete with the carbon cubs.

av8rps
03-17-2017, 02:33 AM
Looks awesome Jeff. I'm jealous :D

jmodguy
03-25-2017, 03:49 PM
Got my cowl fitted today...!
Looks like I will need a 4" extension. Kitfox is using a 4" on the STi so it makes sense I guess...

DesertFox4
03-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Looks very good Jeff. Keep after it. Rocket ship in the making.:)

jrevens
03-25-2017, 08:52 PM
Looks good, Jeff! A 4" prop extension is what I use on the O-320 in my Thorp T-18. Will you be mounting your battery way back in the fuselage? Also, have you got an estimate on completed engine weight? I don't know how accurate this is, but I've read that the typical installed weight of a 912 in a Kitfox, with radiator, fluids, etc. averages 149 lbs. I'm thinking you're going to see at least 60 or 70 lbs. more than that. Does that sound at all accurate?

jmodguy
03-26-2017, 06:39 AM
Thanks Steve!
John
The 340 is probably closer to 240 lbs which is typical for these type engines. I built the engine as light as possible. Only accessories on the engine are starter and alternator (both B&C) and 2 coil packs for the electronic ignition. The sump is a Superior cold air unit. Using taper fin cylinders to save weight also. When I pull the engine to paint the airframe I will weigh it.
I'm running dual batteries under the stab. They are lightweight Odyssey batteries at 11lbs ea.
I am also considering vortex generators and wing fences like the STi 340 demonstrator...
All up weight should be in the 900 lb range. Heavier that the 912 but loads more performance!

airlina
03-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Hey Jeff, are the new sneakers the Desser 22" smoothies,? they would look good on my Series 5. Bruce N199CL

jmodguy
03-26-2017, 06:21 PM
Yes those are Dessers!

PapuaPilot
03-28-2017, 06:03 AM
The dry weight on my IO-240 was around 245 lb, so it sounds like you have a very similar situation. I am using a single Odyssey 680 (16 lb) in the tail. I also went light on my engine by using the B&C 30 amp alternator and the engine came with the light weight starter. My Catto prop was 12-13 lbs. I swapped out one magneto for a PMag, but there wasn't any weight savings, other than not needing the Slick Start shower of sparks box.

Have you done the wings with the 1 degree forward sweep? Mine has that and the W&B came out nice.

PapuaPilot
03-28-2017, 06:17 AM
Hey Jeff, are the new sneakers the Desser 22" smoothies,? they would look good on my Series 5. Bruce N199CL

What are you waiting for Bruce, the Dessers look really good on my 5. ;)

These are great tires for most normal non paved runways and they only add 3" of height to the front. You do loose a little forward visibility with them.

jmodguy
03-28-2017, 02:22 PM
Nice looking 5 Phil!
Yup I swept the wings 1 degree.
I am planning on using the Whirlwind STOL prop. Looks like its around 18 lbs. I also have a little more electronics in front of the panel due to the engine ECU, Volt reg, bus monitor and fuel pumps/regulator etc under the console.

airlina
03-28-2017, 04:18 PM
They do look awesome Phil, getting ready to call the Mcbeans to order them up! Bruce

jmodguy
04-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Got my intake figured out. I will need to make some mods to the cowl to clean it up and secure the front of the filter.
The pic of the filter assy shows the intake tube with the filter and the "thing" to the left of it is a bypass. Kinda like an automatic alternate air source. The black tube (far left) with clamps adapts to the throttle body (3" to 3-1/4").

jmodguy
04-10-2017, 02:20 AM
Got my throttle lever in :)

jrevens
04-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Hurst... good choice, Jeff! I put a Spark-O-Matic shifter in mine. ;) You may be too young to remember the Spark-O-Matic. Do they still make them? I put one in a '48 Plymouth that I had, along with a 283 & drive train from a '59 Chevy. Man, did that thing have a good (BIG) back seat!

DesertFox4
04-10-2017, 05:50 PM
Four speed Kitfox. Pretty hot.;)

jmodguy
04-10-2017, 06:56 PM
John,
Was the transmission sparking or the big back seat... 😂

DF4,
When I get some time on this bird I am definitely bringing it out west! Seems I owe you a ride...

DesertFox4
04-10-2017, 09:27 PM
Looking ahead with anticipation Jeff for my flight but not just a ride. I want to fly that Mega Fox. I think it will even intimidate our Diamondback rattle snakes and scorpions with those tires and horsepower not to mention a few Carbon Cubs.

jmodguy
04-11-2017, 04:35 PM
... and you shall sir!

jmodguy
04-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Was talking with a friend at work about the kitfox and how high it sets. S-turns came into the discussion and he said Why dont you use a camera?
Brilliant says I. Picked up a wireless back up camera and it connects to my tablet and displays whats in front. It can record .avi (movie) or .jpeg (pic).
Has a wide field of view an weighs almost nothing...

DesertFox4
04-14-2017, 06:17 PM
As the Britts say, " brilliant". With cameras so tiny today no reason not to.
Don't be retisant to post links to said device.;)

jmodguy
04-15-2017, 10:16 AM
Oops! Here's the link
Www.rearviewsafety.com
Lots of camera ideas. These are NOT GoPro quality cameras... good for seeing where you can't see.

DesertFox4
04-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Thanks Jeff. Will peruse the site.

David47
04-15-2017, 03:13 PM
Good idea. Could have done with a forward looking camera last week. Left wheel struck a yellow cone as I was taxiing for takeoff ..... couldn't see because of afternoon sun streaming through the windshield at that very moment. Shut down, push back, restart ..... all very embarrassing !

jmodguy
04-16-2017, 03:30 PM
Not embarrasing at all. Best part is that it was only your tire! This little camera and a smart phone or tablet and your problem is solved! :)

David47
04-17-2017, 05:16 AM
Yep, a prop strike wouldn't have gone down well at all .... so thanks for the info Jeff. That's one really good idea I'm definitely taking up !. Friend of mine has a camera permanently mounted to his car windscreen as a "just in case" thing. I didn't join the dots until now ...

jmodguy
05-28-2017, 08:37 AM
Getting closer...
Updated a few pics in my album. )Series 5 jmodguy)
Fuselage is getting close to being ready to paint. Tanks are here and getting ready for mount. Need to make a mount for the GRT magnetometer and OAT, install leading edges and wings will be pretty close to being ready to cover.
Was hoping to make Oshkosh this year but it is looking more like fall for 1st flights.

jmodguy
05-29-2017, 01:07 PM
Windscreen/canopy trimmed today. I will wait until the install day to trim the spar area. Heard too many cracking stories...

DesertFox4
05-29-2017, 07:28 PM
You are doing great Jeff. Good progress. Glad the widshield install went smoothly.
I too was somewhat concerned about it. Helped to have two guys helping that have sucessfully installed several without incident. Also waited for a warm day to install which is not hard to do in Phoenix.
Used a hand held mini belt sander to shape the curves near the front spar. Worked pretty good. Then hand sanded all edges of the windshild with about 200 grit sandpaper to smoothe edges.

jmodguy
08-09-2017, 07:12 PM
Went to Oshkosh this year. First time! Good lord I am STILL recovering from the walking!
I did meet Mangy Foxs owner. Wanted to make the Kitfox dinner but too many things happened that Friday and I was too worn out. Definitely next year!
Got most of my questions answered and even ran into DF4 at the Kitfox booth!
My questions were answered by various vendors and the "engineering phase" of my project is pretty much done.
Hooker is making my seatbelt harnesses and AWI-AMI is working with me to build a 4-1 exhaust for the 340. I hope the exhaust pans out....
For the cowl I will be using the one I have to mod and turn into a plug. Will be making a mold from the plug and trying my hand at making a cowl. Will keep all interested parties posted.
My flaperon hinges are drilled and the teflon hinge bearings are complete. I am very close to covering the wings! I hope to be flying this fall.

DesertFox4
08-09-2017, 10:59 PM
Jeff, glad you finally made it to the big show. Your feet will recover. Good to see you again. I didn't get to the seaplane base this time. Not yet sure where all the time went.

Sounds like you're moving ahead with your build at a good pace. Hope that exhaust works as planned.

jmodguy
08-12-2017, 06:44 PM
More progress...
Fitted the tail feathers today and last couple days worked the flaperons.
Next up is glareshield and cowl

jmodguy
08-17-2017, 07:00 PM
More progress.
Got my plenums yesterday.
Covering wings next week!

David47
08-19-2017, 05:07 AM
Do I see solid rivets with bearing plates attaching your end rib struts ?. Good job.

jmodguy
08-19-2017, 04:02 PM
I believe so. I will have to give credit to the 2nd owner of the kit (I'm 3rd) as he got the wings to quick build stage...

jmodguy
08-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Took the week off to get some stuff done. Wings ready to cover by Thursday! Got the plenums rough fit. Will definitely need to re-do front of cowl.

jmodguy
09-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Wings are ready for stitching! Gee whiz that took waaaay longer than I thought it would.
Started the mockup for the exhaust. Should have it done this week.

DesertFox4
09-19-2017, 05:07 PM
Looking good Jeff.

efwd
09-19-2017, 05:33 PM
That does look nice. I would like to see how the exhaust is replicated.
Eddie

Av8r3400
09-19-2017, 06:10 PM
You're going to have to run pretty rich to keep the egt down so that piping doesn't melt...

On the up side I'll bet it's pretty light weight!

;)

jmodguy
09-20-2017, 06:00 AM
:D
Its one of those HE engines.... :D :D :D

jmodguy
11-09-2017, 05:36 PM
Finished taping the wings tonite... Sooooo glad the covering effort is done.

southwind32
11-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Curious, what covering process are you using? Hope you post pics of your covering. Your work on the plane looks great.
Brian

David47
11-10-2017, 04:57 AM
Congratulations on finishing the covering. I know from reading other builder threads that it's a big job. Well done. I'm about to start doing mine, beginning with the wings. Never done it before. Should be interesting ...

avidflyer
11-10-2017, 07:07 AM
Covering is kind of a big job, takes quite a bit of time. Still a lot of fun though, and when you cover something big, you get a real sense of accomplishment. Lot of people start with the tailfeathers first though, especially if they aren't used to doing this kind of work. You can always pull the fabric off if you don't like how it went and have another try at it, and with say a rudder, you won't waste much fabric. Follow the manual, and if you do as it says, it should come out fine. JImChuk

jmodguy
11-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Brian
I'm using Stewarts system. Pretty easy to work with and not toxic!

David
I have covered rc planes for many years but this was my first full scale job. It's more work but not difficult. The part that gave me the most concern was the area that flares the vertical stab to the fuselage. It was a challenge but worked out good! If you are not comfortable fitting tape to curved edges, i.e. hstab and elevator tips, get some bias tape. Seems to be easier to work around curves.

Clark in AZ
11-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Would you do the Stewart's system again? Just curious?

Clark

southwind32
11-10-2017, 11:38 AM
I've done a lot of research on the Stewart system, seems to be a good system, I've found some had trouble with the top coat. I've covered a few airplanes over the years, but have never tried the Stewart System. Right now, I'm leaning towards Poly Fiber, and as an extra precaution when it comes to spraying, using a supplied fresh air respirator. What I've found out about the Stewart system is, they recommend a compressor that can supply around 13cfm, can even Tee a couple of compressors together. One recommendation was to run the air from the pump through a condenser to cool it, through a water trap/filter, then into the tank..........then from the tank through another water trap/filter. You want lots of air and you don't want it hot. They also recommend using new hoses and 3/8 inch fittings throughout to aid with air flow. Other precautions, like cleaning surfaces etc like any other product are needed too. I know some have used other then Stewart's products for the top coat, but I have no idea how they would adhere and stand up over time.

jmodguy
11-10-2017, 02:50 PM
I would definitely use Stewarts again. I haven't got to the paint part yet but there are people in the area that understand this paint. A friend has a Citabria that he restored. It is painted with Stewarts and looks amazing. The paint is very flexible and also very shiny.
We have a ( there are 3 of us getting ready to paint) booth with a 5 HP 80 gal Ingersoll Rand that flows about 16cfm at 90 psi. We also have a dryer/regulator and about 60 ft of copper pipe tied to a concrete wall to cool it off. All fittings are 3/8". We have researched this as well and decided MEK is too toxic.
On the other hand one of our EAA chapter members is restoring a Waco taperwing and he is using polyfiber because the plane originally came that way. sort of...

David47
11-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Jim and Jeff, thanks for the info and advice. Always good to get perspective from others who've done it.

Flybyjim
11-10-2017, 03:17 PM
Any system you chose will work for you as long as you follow their instructions. Even with experience things can go south during painting. We all want flawless paint jobs, after spraying 6 airplanes I have come to accept flaws, life is not perfect and neither is paint or temperatures and humidity that we have to deal with during painting. If you are expecting perfection you will be disappointed in the end unless you hire a professional with a $50,000.00 paint booth with down draft exhaust and all the separators for moisture.

Take pride in your own paint job and the finish you accomplish, it will mean more to you in the end that you did it.

Of all the systems I have used I would use Superflight over any of them. Saying this when it comes time to paint my Fox I might yet try another system, PPG aircraft coatings, the down side is it requires a clear coat over the color. Each time you spray another coat the risk is there for mistakes and disappointments.

Look at any paint job on a fabric plane, you will find a run, dry spot or orange peel if you look for it.

ken nougaret
11-10-2017, 03:37 PM
Take pride in your own paint job and the finish you accomplish, it will mean more to you in the end that you did it.
Well put!

jmodguy
11-11-2017, 07:14 AM
This is my first attempt at painting an I am taking in everything I can before I start spraying paint. We are even making fabric practice panels with 1x2 frames to practice technique and such. They will be prepped just like the aircraft.

Next will be a redesign of the fwd 18" of the cowl... Always wanted to learn CF/glass work.

jmodguy
12-18-2017, 06:17 PM
Weighed BossFox couple weekends ago. 870 lbs! Need to add prop (18 lbs), paint and couple other small items. I'm going to be a bit over 900 lbs which is where I was hoping to be. So far so good....

DesertFox4
12-18-2017, 09:40 PM
Did you finish your cowling mods Jeff?

jmodguy
12-19-2017, 06:11 PM
No Steve.... My truck is giving me fits. Working on pulling the left head. Hope to have it off tomorrow and on to the shop for analysis.

DesertFox4
12-19-2017, 07:49 PM
Copy that. Life gets in the way a lot sometimes.

I haven’t worked on my project for a couple weeks now. Lots of life getting in the way right now. Maybe this weekend I’ll get back on track.

jmodguy
02-25-2018, 08:09 AM
Should have an exhaust soon. Got a pic from Aerospace Welding. Looks pretty sweet!
Once the exhaust is on I can get back to shapping the cowl. It is warming up a bit so it shouldn’t be too much longer...

DesertFox4
02-25-2018, 11:44 PM
Hpoe the exhaust fits like a glove Jeff. Looks like a few hours invested in making your exhaust system. Is that a local company?

jmodguy
02-26-2018, 03:33 AM
Steve,
They are in Minnesota. I saw their product at Oshkosh last year and was pretty impressed.

DesertFox4
02-26-2018, 02:22 PM
Copy that Jeff. Looks good.

jmodguy
03-02-2018, 05:57 PM
My exhaust arrived today. Looks pretty sweet! Got some tweaking to do on #2 and #4 but it’s close.

jmodguy
05-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Paint update...
A friend and I have been trying for 6 weeks to get the Stewart topcoat to flow out and look smooth. We have gone through 3 cans of "practice" paint and a couple dozen variations on application and I am extremely disappointed in Stewarts top coat. Everything we have done ends up with orange peel. This paint is very flexible and shiny, but does not flow out. At $400/gal this is unacceptable. I have called the factory and they really didn't have any answers.
If anyone out there has any ideas, I'm all ears. My friend is tied to an STC for a certified aircraft.
I will be using the Ekofil with PPG primer and topcoat....
More to come...

southwind32
05-03-2018, 07:16 PM
Jeff, contact Marty Feehan he does the seminars for Stewarts he can help you out. He knows how to set up the spray equipment, nice guy and will share info with you. Call Stewarts and get his phone number, his email is MartyFreehan79@gmail.com Here's his website too http://www.marty2plus2.com/contact-form.html

That's the only reason I've shy'd away from Stewarts, is I've heard problems with the top coat. Best of luck.
Brian

jmodguy
05-04-2018, 05:35 AM
Thanks Brian. I will contact Marty.

Ronin
05-04-2018, 09:08 AM
Jeff,

Orange peel is caused by these items;

Too thick of material (viscosity)

Applying the material in to heavy a coat, sometimes too light of a coat also.

Improper atomization, either gun pressure or gun tip size

Wrong reducer for conditions or temperature

Wrong catylyst for conditions or temperature

Gun pressure needs to be measured at the spray tip most guns lose additional pressure between the connector mounted gauge and the nozzle.

These are just some basics, there might be other reasons.

jmodguy
05-04-2018, 09:40 AM
James,
Yes we have been through all of this. We have had professional aircraft painters, chemists and anyone that we thought might help take a look at what we have. We tried different guns, pressures, flows, fan spread, 4:1:1, 3:1:1 and a few variations of ratios to no avail. End result is orange peel every time. At least that part was consistent...

jmodguy
05-04-2018, 09:53 AM
On a happier note- my prop will be here on the 9th! Its the 80” Whirlwind GA200L STOL prop. This is the same type prop used on the Kitfox demo.

Ronin
05-04-2018, 10:51 AM
James,
Yes we have been through all of this. We have had professional aircraft painters...
The "professional" painters may be the problem. I'll explain before you get upset with that statement.

Most painters are comfortable and familiar with solvent based systems and usually one primary system that they have used for years and know the tweaks and tricks to get good results with. A water born system to them is just sorcery or voodoo. I say this having been both a painter and later on, a tech rep for various paint companies. That said I've seen planes done with Stewart's that looked phenomenal so it can be done. I've also heard guys say they had to fight the product tooth and nail to make it work.

Honestly if I were in your shoes I would make the switch to a solvent based system. Rans uses a mixed bag of stuff, Stewart's glue, Superflite cloth, Airtech primer and PPG paints and his airplanes always look good and I have tape and ring tested them and they hold up. I have used PPG Concept and base/clear systems on fiberglass and fabric planes and it holds up just fine if you use flex additives.

Get a fresh air system like this http://axispro.com/index.php and go at it.

jmodguy
05-04-2018, 12:46 PM
James,
I m not offended. The guy I am talking to works for a major aerospace paint manufacturer. He understands paint chemistry and has some reach back to real paint chemists for parts he needs clarification on. He even uses waterborne paints! If we meet some day I’ll tell you a story.
I will be using PPG but my friend is reworking a Champ and is stuck with an STC and prefers to stay away from MEK (dont blame him there).
Theres a painter here that uses PPG on planes and his method is less effort and an order of magnitude better quality than stewarts. He knows the Rans owner and uses the same system.

jmodguy
05-12-2018, 07:18 AM
Tail flash update...
Had a friend of mine who is a pilot and artist design this for me. The background is grabber orange. Whadya think?
My colors will be Grabber Orange with Tuxedo Black trim.

efwd
05-12-2018, 07:23 AM
I like. Seems to fit well with your plan to match that car you showed us before. Always cool to get your friends to put their talents into your project. My best friend is an artist, I should see what he would come up with for a tail art. He had planned on painting my RV4 that I never completed.
Eddie

Clark in AZ
05-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Very Nice! Can't wait to see it on the plane.

Clark

jmodguy
05-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Painted the rudder today...
I like this color!

jmodguy
05-20-2018, 06:14 PM
Got the wings primed and the plastic off the flaperons. The plastic had been on since 1995! Careful application with a heat gun made it easier.

David47
05-21-2018, 01:34 AM
Hey Jeff, I’m thinking of using a yellow-orange colour for my paint scheme. How close is the actual colour on your airplane to the colour on your insignia ?. I’m never quite sure how the colours on a computer match up with the real colour.

jmodguy
05-21-2018, 05:02 AM
David
It’s “close”...
Colors on computer screens can be changed so easily. Once I found a scheme I liked, I went to the hobby shop and bought a Testors spray can of Ford Grabber Orange (licensed by Ford...) and sprayed a piece of white pvc (also from hobby store) to make sure the color was what I thought it was. So far it is working better than I had anticipated!

efwd
05-21-2018, 05:42 AM
I did the same thing. Testors has a color that matches the Oratex Yellow perfectly. Used it as a touch up on the fabric that I had scuffed and to cover the white edges of the fabric where I cut the rudder leading edge fiberglass. It just so happened that its a damn good match with the Poly Fiber "yellow orange" paint with which I painted all the fiberglass. It looks like the same color you have used on your rudder. You didn't use rattle can paint to paint your rudder did you? What paint are you using?
Eddie

southwind32
05-21-2018, 07:28 AM
Jeff, contact Marty Feehan he does the seminars for Stewarts he can help you out. He knows how to set up the spray equipment, nice guy and will share info with you. Call Stewarts and get his phone number, his email is MartyFreehan79@gmail.com Here's his website too http://www.marty2plus2.com/contact-form.html

That's the only reason I've shy'd away from Stewarts, is I've heard problems with the top coat. Best of luck.
Brian

Was this gentleman able to help you with your paint problems?

jmodguy
05-21-2018, 08:10 AM
I sent an email via his website a week or so back. No response yet. I’ll try his gmail

jmodguy
05-24-2018, 04:43 PM
Elevator painted! Hope to have tail feathers and wings painted this weekend!

David47
05-25-2018, 05:23 AM
David
It’s “close”...
Colors on computer screens can be changed so easily. Once I found a scheme I liked, I went to the hobby shop and bought a Testors spray can of Ford Grabber Orange (licensed by Ford...) and sprayed a piece of white pvc (also from hobby store) to make sure the color was what I thought it was. So far it is working better than I had anticipated!

Very nice Jeff. There’s no doubt you’ll be seen ... which is why I want to use the same or similar colour. So, is that colour from the Ford paint, Poly Fibre chart or some other supplier Or is it a blend you made yourself ?.

jmodguy
05-25-2018, 09:45 AM
It’s Ford Grabber Orange. 1970 version. You can look up the color mix on the www. Most auto paint shops can get it made.
This is a single stage polyurethane solvent base paint. Very flexible!

jmodguy
05-25-2018, 02:35 PM
More painting today... sand wings tomorrow. Paint sunday

jmodguy
05-26-2018, 02:38 AM
I did the same thing. Testors has a color that matches the Oratex Yellow perfectly. Used it as a touch up on the fabric that I had scuffed and to cover the white edges of the fabric where I cut the rudder leading edge fiberglass. It just so happened that its a damn good match with the Poly Fiber "yellow orange" paint with which I painted all the fiberglass. It looks like the same color you have used on your rudder. You didn't use rattle can paint to paint your rudder did you? What paint are you using?
Eddie

Eddie
Sorry I missed your question at the end. I'll post a pic later today. No it's not rattle can! 😂

jmodguy
05-27-2018, 05:42 PM
Left wing painted today...

efwd
05-27-2018, 06:03 PM
You must be pleased with how it is coming out. It looks spectacular. Had I not finished my paint I may have used what you used..
Eddie

jmodguy
05-27-2018, 06:52 PM
Our homespun paint booth... Thats me squirting Grabber Orange!

David47
05-28-2018, 02:27 AM
You have great lighting in that paint booth Jeff. Also, it’s good to see how others set up their spray booths. Good job.

jmodguy
05-28-2018, 04:04 AM
Eddie
Here is the paint I’m using

Floog
05-28-2018, 07:30 AM
Looks beautiful, Jeff! When I think 'industrial finishes', I think of hard surfaced machinery. It must have the flexibility needed for fabric. I couldn't find any reference to that in my brief searches. I'm getting ready to do some re-painting on my wings. Just curious...

jmodguy
05-28-2018, 09:39 AM
I don’t think you can buy it direct. A friend owns a paint shop... This paint is extremely flexible! Works great on fabric.

efwd
05-28-2018, 09:40 AM
Thanks Jeff. Im afraid I may have some repainting to do in the near future. I used poly fibers paint and although they state some people succeed at getting the paint to stick on fiberglass and metal, I followed the recommended procedures but it seems that it scratches pretty easy. It may be hardening up over the past month. maybe it will be fine.
Eddie

jmodguy
05-28-2018, 03:14 PM
Floog
look at www.mfisystems.com. They are based here in the midwest. With the regulations in out west, it probably isn't available there.

Eddie
This sticks to just about everything from what I am told. I am reshaping my cowl. WHen its ready I will paint it with this. I'll post my results here.

jmodguy
05-29-2018, 05:32 PM
Right wing painted!

DesertFox4
05-29-2018, 08:05 PM
That color is good for 5 extra knots cruise speed Jeff.
Nice progress sir.

jmodguy
05-30-2018, 07:11 PM
Thanks DF4! I hope to get back to the cowl mod next week. this weekend is getting primer and hopefully paint on the flaperons and panels.

jmodguy
06-15-2018, 05:45 AM
Got the flaperons painted last night!

efwd
06-15-2018, 05:48 AM
That is such a cool color and it is looking very nice Jeff.
Eddie

David47
06-15-2018, 06:30 AM
Very nice Jeff. That colour is top of the list for part of my paint scheme right now.

DesertFox4
06-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Your list of things to complete before first flight is rapidly shrinking. Looks really nice Jeff. You will have a unique and impressive flying machine.:)

jmodguy
06-16-2018, 04:31 PM
Wing paint reveal tomorrow!

jmodguy
06-17-2018, 11:47 AM
Came out better than I hoped! Black is a pearl and it sparkles in the sunlight!

DesertFox4
06-17-2018, 11:52 AM
That’ll work!:)

efwd
06-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Awe Man, beautiful.
Eddie

David47
06-17-2018, 02:01 PM
That’s nice !

jmodguy
06-17-2018, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the motivation!
Next up is finishing the cowl mods (and building a mold to pull a new cowl/boot cowl) and painting the fuselage.
I will be painting the cockpit tubes Rat Rod black. Should have done that before I put all that stuff in...

jmodguy
06-23-2018, 06:13 PM
Working on the oil cooler scoop and plenum

jmodguy
07-08-2018, 07:24 PM
Cowl re-shaping is done! Got a layer of glass on the top so technically I met my milestone! 😬
This will be a plug to make a mold from. It will be a three piece cowl. Upper, lower, and boot cowls.

Shadowrider
07-08-2018, 09:03 PM
[Looking good! Is that pink insulating foam from the hardware store? I have done fiberglass but never to this extend. Give us the rundown on how your doing this for the less experienced....

jmodguy
07-09-2018, 06:28 PM
The "pink stuff" is 2" foam insulation board from Menards. I basically cut it to conform to the top of the cowl and used a bondo file to shape it. I filled the sides and other areas with 2 part expanding foam, then shaped it with the bondo file and 80 grit sandpaper. I put a layer of glass on it to give the foam a more rigid surface. I will put a thin layer of bondo on the glass to get it smoothed out. Might put a thin layer of glass over that to give it some more strength. The cowl mating edges will be the typical male and female flange about 3/16" thick and reinforced with a 1" strip of kevlar. I don't want it to be wavy... The plan is to make a cowl that only needs to be trimmed at the aft end. There should be no need to trim the cowl mating edges.

This will be a plug to pull a mold from. The cowl will be 2 layers of CF with a 1/8" aramid honeycomb for rigidity. Vacuum bagged of course...

jmodguy
07-12-2018, 03:39 PM
A couple pics of my air intake setup. 4” bellmouth and intake tube.

airlina
07-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Looks like a small turbine engine ready to boost takeoff performance-you ain't foolin us Jeff! Bruce N199CL

jmodguy
07-13-2018, 04:13 AM
Lol! 🤣🤣
Thats too funny

aviator79
07-13-2018, 06:37 AM
That looks mean Jeff. The Boss Fox will certainly stand out. I like it.

jmodguy
08-25-2018, 06:21 PM
Well I can't shrink my pics so I can't post them...

The cowl is almost ready to cut apart. I will turn this 2 piece cowl into a 2 piece cowl and a boot cowl. Tomorrow is the final sand of the cowl prior to separating the pieces. Hope to cut it apart as well.
Getting lightweight teflon hoses (Ultra Pro line) from Earls Indy next week. They tell me the Indy car guys use these hoses so it must be pretty good stuff.
I also hope to have the glareshield trimmed and installed tomorrow as well. I have done some preliminary fitting. I decided to cut a rectangle out where it slips over the X tube. I made a piece to go around the tubes and fill in the area I cut out of the glareshield. I taped up the glareshield center with Gorilla packing tape and sprayed it with a release agent. Layed up some glass over this and it mimicked the glareshield perfectly. Now I wish I had made it a little wider so the glareshield would set over it. Now I have to figure out a way to put a lip under the center piece. Fun with composites they say...
I picked up an 11" Matco tailwheel at Osh. The lady in the Matco booth gave me a pretty sweet deal on the display! I also picked up a T3 shock spring. The combo really put the tail into the air.
On the other end I added a lightweight flywheel from FlyEFII. Shaved 1.5 lbs from the front of the engine.
That's all I have for now. The re-shaping of the cowl has been a very time consuming evolution. Almost there...

Ibsen
08-31-2018, 11:10 PM
WOW !!! Amazing job !!!

jmodguy
09-03-2018, 01:56 PM
Thanks Ibsen!

jmodguy
09-04-2018, 05:53 PM
Learned something interesting today...
I am in the process of getting my paperwork together to start the registration process and I need a bill of sale from the original purchaser. A week or so ago I sent out a certified letter to him and he called today with a lot of good information!

He told me of the details of the 1400 to 1550 weight change and it finally makes sense. The kit originally came with the .058 thick spar tubes and standard AN hardware. At some point they changed the spar tubes to .063" and upgraded the strut attach hardware to increase the GW to 1550.

Skystar actually traded him a set of .063 tubes and sent the upgraded strut hardware to increase the gross wt to 1550 for this airframe. Skystar told him there was no changes to the fuselage structure.

This actually makes sense according to the info I have in my build manual.
Lawyers and liability being what it is, I can understand why no one will say anything and I can't really blame them but the evidence is pointing to a few minor changes to add 150 to the GW... hmmmm

efwd
09-04-2018, 06:20 PM
Very interesting Jeff. Thanks for posting it.

jmodguy
09-11-2018, 07:00 AM
Well I sent my registration paperwork to Oklahoma City today. Hopefully I will see a registration in a couple weeks or so. Working on finishing up some of the little things like the windshield/skylight, tail closeouts, and such. The list is getting shorter!
Hope to start my cowl molds in the next week or so.

efwd
09-11-2018, 11:23 AM
Wow, a few weeks? Have you heard good news about turn around times? I thought the process takes 3 months plus or minus some weeks. If its just weeks then I will wait to register in January. I like the idea of holding off the tax man till 2019.

jmodguy
09-11-2018, 11:35 AM
Uhhhhh crap I was guessing....
Well it went in today. When it returns I’ll post the turnaround time.

efwd
09-11-2018, 11:49 AM
Yeh, it took a month and a half to get a reserved N number. Im not sure how long it really takes to register but the EAA posted someplace that I should submit 3 months before I expected to have my inspection.

jmodguy
09-11-2018, 02:12 PM
I’ve had 340KF reserved for over a year so hopefully that won’t delay anything!

aviator79
09-12-2018, 05:29 AM
The EAA step-by-step certification guide does recommend requesting registration 90-120 days before you finish. Who knows how much safety margin that gives you.

jmodguy
09-12-2018, 05:35 AM
Yeah I picked up a package at Osh this year and have read through it several times. I will call them today and ask!

jmodguy
09-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Just got off the phone with Shiela at the FAA OK City registration office and she told me that they have 3 working days to turn an experimental registration around...
I should have my paperwork inside 2 weeks according to her!

efwd
09-12-2018, 06:03 PM
Wow. Jeff, be sure to post when you get it. That would be so nice if that is true. Almost seems too good to be true. Registering mine in 2019 if its true. :)

jmodguy
09-24-2018, 02:07 PM
FAA cashed my $5 check on the 19th....

jmodguy
09-24-2018, 05:04 PM
No pic but here’s the link to faa.gov!

Ok link doesn’t work, so search for 340KF...

13 days from submittal to registration in my mailbox!!

efwd
09-24-2018, 06:10 PM
Thanks Jeff. That's very helpful. I can relax a bit now.

Meyer
09-24-2018, 07:31 PM
Congrats!!

jmodguy
09-25-2018, 01:48 PM
FAA inspector stopped by for an in process and I am good to go! Finish the paint and reassemble for more paperwork...

tjentzsch
09-25-2018, 08:04 PM
awesome!!!

FoxTrotter
09-26-2018, 09:59 AM
FYI, all you need to register your EAB is a kit serial number and an engine serial number. You don't have to have even started the build. I have my registration, and I'm still working on the fuselage chapter! (I registered now so I could quit renewing my reserved N-number).

Michael

jmodguy
09-26-2018, 01:50 PM
Michael,
True, but... Some state revenue offices look for new registrations so they can dig into your wallet. Don’t know how that part works yet.:eek:

FoxTrotter
09-26-2018, 03:06 PM
Indeed they do; my state is one of them. And I'm trying to decide whether I should tell them I'm still building the plane....
Michael

PapuaPilot
09-26-2018, 03:20 PM
You need to find out what each state says. In Idaho I cold just let it go until the plane was flying by checking a box that it wasn't flyable.

FoxTrotter
09-26-2018, 03:28 PM
Interesting. Last time they nailed me the plane was flying, so I don't know how they handle that here. I guess I'll find out!
Michael

efwd
09-27-2018, 11:45 AM
Precisely why I was so interested in how long Jeff's registration took. Im delaying the tax man now until 2019.

jrevens
09-27-2018, 11:58 AM
I registered my first homebuilt quite a few years before it flew. The state contacted me, and I told them it was still a project, being constructed from parts and raw material, and I never heard from them again. This is Colorado. Sometime after that, our tax law was changed, making airplane parts non-taxable.

jmodguy
10-07-2018, 06:28 PM
Fuselage painted today! I will let it harden for a couple days then paint the stripe down the side.
The plan is to move it back to the hangar next weekend and start the final assembly!

David47
10-08-2018, 05:05 AM
You're now getting to the excitement stage; i.e. painting and final assembly. I'm almost there myself. Great work and looking forward to seeing some photos of the finished paint scheme.

Meyer
10-08-2018, 08:29 AM
The paint looked great in the email pics!!

jmodguy
10-08-2018, 06:20 PM
OK here's a try at posting a photo...

aviator79
10-08-2018, 06:26 PM
Looks great! I'm jealous of your paint booth setup. If kill for that.

David47
10-09-2018, 02:01 AM
Yes, my "paint booth" is nothing as classy as yours Jeff. Even the term "shoe string budget" is a stretch for mine .....:eek:

jmodguy
10-09-2018, 05:03 AM
It’s not my paint booth! We have 3 possibly 5 ongoing projects so a few of us pitched into build this booth. Structure is 1” EMT conduit with heavy visclean draped over it and sealed with lots of duct tape! Ventilation is a whole house fan. Works pretty good. Is 16’x32’x8’.
Wish we had a down draft system...

aviator79
10-09-2018, 08:43 AM
Wish we had a down draft system...

That pretty much sums up everything about space and tools. No matter what you have, you could always use a little more.

jmodguy
10-14-2018, 06:57 PM
Got the fuse back to the hangar today and back on the gear. Special thanks to Meyer, Eric, and Alan!

PapuaPilot
10-14-2018, 07:22 PM
MVP (maximum visual progress). :) Lookin good too.

David47
10-14-2018, 09:37 PM
Blimey, that tailwheel looks like its gonna take no arguments from grass, shrubs and even small trees; looks like an Alaskan T3 spring ... your aeroplane paint scheme looks very clean Jeff. Nice.

aviator79
10-15-2018, 06:41 AM
Looks great Jeff! Can't wait to see it all put together.

jmodguy
10-15-2018, 09:03 AM
It’s coming together, slow but sure...
Yes that an Alaska T3 shock spring with a Matco 11” tailwheel. Needed some weight aft due to the 340 so I figured I might as well make it useful weight!
Im painting lift struts this week so wings will go on this weekend!!!

av8rps
10-21-2018, 06:47 AM
I love that paint scheme. Of course I grew up in the Boss Mustang era, so it holds a special affection.

Nice work. Very nice work. I can hardly wait to see the finished product, and will be very interested to hear how that engine works out for you. Really a neat project.

Thanks for taking the time to post all of your progress.

jmodguy
10-21-2018, 06:02 PM
A little more progress this weekend..
AND - I now have a tailwheel endorsement!

jmodguy
10-21-2018, 06:06 PM
Thanks Av8r. I remember the Boss 302. Wish I had one!

efwd
10-27-2018, 10:24 AM
Hey Jeff, I think your paint scheme must be available again. I've seen a new Ford Mustang driving around in my area that is painted that color along with the black trim.

jmodguy
10-28-2018, 07:14 AM
Looked up 2018 Boss 302 Mustang... a bit north of $80k!!!! ZOIKS!

jmodguy
11-12-2018, 10:27 AM
Test to upload a pic

DesertFox4
11-12-2018, 10:45 AM
I like it!!! :D

Norm
11-12-2018, 12:54 PM
Great Colour I love it.

jrevens
11-12-2018, 06:21 PM
That is really nice, Jeff!

cubtractor
11-12-2018, 06:42 PM
Looks great!

efwd
11-12-2018, 06:58 PM
yeh, I think you did good on that color.

jmodguy
11-12-2018, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! It's getting cold here and I am NOT a fan... :rolleyes:
Here are pics of my panel and my custom fuel placard.

David47
11-12-2018, 07:51 PM
That colour is stunning. Great work and congrats on getting so close to the line.

jmodguy
12-26-2018, 03:43 PM
Pulled my oil cooler scoop mold from teh plug today. Came out pretty good! I have since cleaned it up a bit. Should have a part soon!

David47
12-29-2018, 05:07 AM
Jeff, what’s the plug made of ?.

jmodguy
12-29-2018, 08:27 AM
The plug is made from 2” insulating foam board from a home improvement store. The base was layed up on the cowl so it matched the contour of the cowl. The affected area on the cowl was covered with clear packing tape and sprayed with mold release. The 2 parts (scoop and base) were epoxied together and dressed with a couple layers of glass cloth, bondo, and spot putty to smooth it out. Finally I sprayed 2or 3 coats of epixy primer, sanded it to 2000 grit and called it good.

Meyer
12-29-2018, 02:32 PM
Just visited, amazing craftsmanship!!!!

jmodguy
12-30-2018, 09:07 AM
Thanks Meyer. Stop by any time.

David47
01-02-2019, 06:19 AM
Nice work Jeff. That oil cooler scoop looks like it’ll come out great. Lot of effort there.

jmodguy
01-02-2019, 04:35 PM
The heavy effort is in the plug. Rest is easy peasey!

jmodguy
01-15-2019, 03:37 AM
I’m close to final assembly! A few pics of my progress... hope it works!

jmodguy
01-15-2019, 03:44 AM
Oil cooler plenum over male mold. The edges that fasteners go through will get a 1” strip of kevlar.

DesertFox4
01-15-2019, 09:58 AM
Very nice progress Jeff. 👍😎

David47
01-17-2019, 02:50 PM
I like your F/G work Jeff. You’re giving me some ideas for future mods once I get through my Phase 1. Keep up the great work.

jmodguy
01-18-2019, 04:12 PM
Oil cooler scoop part pulled today! The yellow strips are kevlar reinforcement for fasteners

DesertFox4
01-18-2019, 04:47 PM
Very nice work. A new vocation?

efwd
01-18-2019, 06:21 PM
Yeh Jeff, that is really nice. I find it fascinating how you are able to make such nice parts at home with your own hands. I am definitely going to try to take the EAA composite class this year.

jmodguy
01-18-2019, 07:24 PM
Steve - I’m thinking to make a cf seat pan (vac bagged) too... and a baggage floor. Hope to have a boot cowl mold this weekend. Weather may be a factor though.

Eddie - there are a ton of vids out there. Fiberglast.com has a bunch of resources (vids and PDFs) at the bottom of their home page. Buy some stuff and get to work! I use comositeenvisions.com for supplies.

jmodguy
01-19-2019, 07:42 AM
Oil cooler scoop cleaned up a bit. 7.1 oz! Wet layup, not vacuum bagged.

jmodguy
01-27-2019, 07:12 PM
Laid up the boot cowl mold today. Took a little longer than I thought. The white part on the plug is flanging material to make it possible to vacuum bag the part.

Meyer
01-27-2019, 07:45 PM
Awesome!!! In the air when it warms up!!

bbs428
01-27-2019, 11:18 PM
Enjoying your build and your fabricating work. :)

jmodguy
01-28-2019, 08:33 AM
Hey Meyer, Where were you... 😂

David47
01-29-2019, 04:55 AM
I like what you're doing Jeff. Very nice.

Meyer
01-29-2019, 07:40 AM
I wish I was helping you! Dealing with crap.

jmodguy
01-29-2019, 04:20 PM
Boot cowl mold! Couple spots that need fixed but I think not bad for a first mold!