PDA

View Full Version : Dual STI build log

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

SomeDay7
05-12-2020, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the update on what they look for.

jrevens
05-12-2020, 04:31 PM
Wow, that sounds pretty ridiculous to me. Seems like he should go get some real world experience with homebuilts, then come back & reapply for that job. Unless he can show that the way the brake lines were run is a safety of flight issue, he’s off base. The safety wire issue is something he could have mentioned as good practice and then, at the very most, suggest you correct it, and sign it off. It’s a shame... sorry to hear it.

Delta Whisky
05-12-2020, 05:39 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news . . . . . sounds as if you (maybe he) was caught between the proverbial rock and hard spot. Was his supervisor one of the attendees? If not, maybe a conversation with him would save you from re-routing the brake line to a less than favorable position. By your description, it sounds like you routed the way most of us with the cabane gear did - I sure don't want to change mine.

efwd
05-13-2020, 08:06 AM
That really stinks. If you haven't painted the Oratex underneath yet I would say It will be no problem. So, It seams the DAR believes while building an Experimental you must follow the build manual. I don't believe rerouting Brake lines would be a significant enough alteration/modification to justify putting the plane back into phase 1 after you finish your 40hrs. Rather than address it with the FSDO I would route these his way then when your phase 1 is finished and you still find it undesirable change it back. Unpainted Oratex will patch so easily.

Shadowrider
05-13-2020, 08:06 AM
Unfortunately the DAR for Utah lives in Idaho, so he charged 900$ because of travel time. The other option was we could of waited for the FAA which they said is over a year wait right now. We where worried we are going to have to pay to have him come out but he got approval from the fsdo to approve via photos so that is good news! Cory got him to agree to a solution to over drill the hole and place a grommet in the hole and keep it in the same location. Also good news, but a pain to have to remove brake lines and re-bleed the brake system. Was kind of perfect storm because I think he was nervous with the FAA there so he was calling him on things that he usually probably wouldn't. Defiantly a pain having the FAA present. Cory was saying how funny it was that they new little about a Rotax. They asked him that he needs to start the engine and run it. They all backed up to the road, because its in Cory's driveway. They all had their hands over their ears thinking its going to be loud. They also told him he has to show them the throttle would manipulate the engine so he is going to have to power it up. They kept on calling the engine a 914. We didn't mention that the 912 has been slightly modified. After the run, they where amazed at how quiet and smooth running that engine is. (Thanks Edge EFI) The one FAA guy said "that engine is incredibly smooth and I cant believe how fast it started. Did you see the prop stop when he shut it down." They also could not figure out why he did not have a mixture control, and how he is going to control mixture. Cory told them its EFI and they where like "huh"? I have learned that on your final inspection is like a checkride. Only provide enough info to satisfy the question. Do not give anymore info. They seemed to be concerned that we had hired someone to build it. The FAA kept asking who painted it. Cory said "no one." Then they asked did you paint it? Cory said "no" "Who painted it silver then and put the stripe on it", they asked? Cory told them, "that is oratex and that is how it comes." He said they looked at each other like they have no idea what he just said. Then they asked so you painted the stripe then? Cory was like, "no that's a vinyl sticker." .......well.....moving on

Cory is working on getting the brake lines in compliance and photos off to the DAR. He then said he can mail the airworthiness and from there we will move it to the airport. Overall I don't want to paint the picture poorly on the DAR, but I think we just had bad luck with the DAR just getting hired and FAA present. Good news is the FAA guy that came also issues the repairmen so he told Cory all he needs to do is come up to the office and he will give him the repairmen license because he has seen the plane.

bumsteer
05-13-2020, 10:03 AM
Several times during my career, I had sim checks with a new check airman and the FAA there to check him out. To say those rides were not fun is an understatement. Nitpicking to the max. Hopefully in the future the guy will be a little more relaxed and get to know homebuilt aircraft better. Good luck on your AW.

Rick

colospace
05-13-2020, 10:10 AM
Wow, I thought I had to jump thru extra hoops! There were three DARs presumably available in my area. One DAR was not recommended by one of my friends as the DAR was known to only do a cursory inspection. The second DAR has a good reputation, but lives farther away. I went with option three based upon some fairly favorable third hand input and his proximity to my airport. This DAR had some some experimental aircraft before, but admitted several times that he more frequently dealt with Airbuses. He spent 3 1/2 hours looking over the airplane and paperwork and ultimately only questioned the service loop I have in my Pitot/AOA lines at the probe. I explained my reason for doing it that way and he eventually got okay with it.
Most of my frustration and extra effort involved things that are not actually required for EAB aircraft (as confirmed by my talking with the EAA).
He wanted a POH (which I had a good start on) with actual performance numbers, even if they were only best guesses, and to understand the basis from which I got my numbers. I extracted what I could from the generic book that Kitfox sells. He obviously spent time looking over my POH as we did several email exchanges of my drafts.
He also expected that I perform a taxi test. I had not planned to do that until after sign-off and had some concern relative to insurance if something were to happen before the plane had been signed off. I wanted to keep moving forward and just get the sign-off done, so I did some taxiing to do some initial brake bedding.
In the end, it seems he did a thorough inspection that I hoped for and was easy to work with, but I certainly did not anticipate the extras "required". I asked about the Repairman's Certificate too, but he indicated he could not do that and I would need to go to the FSDO. Of course COVID19 has suspended any effort there.
Glad to hear that you appear to have a path forward, but I feel your pain.:(

Looks like I need to update my sig as the building (initial at least) is DONE!

aviator79
05-13-2020, 01:43 PM
What a huge disappointment. I'll agree with the others here that these things sound like they could have been suggestions of good practice. Of course, you should bent the safetywire in, but that is not an airworthiness issue.

My DAR brought a fed to do a periodic proficiency check. I was worried when I found out the fed was coming. As it turned out, both the DAR and the Fed were courteous, professional, and friendly. They did two planes in about three hours, gave us each a few pointers and suggestions, and then posed for pictures while handing over our certificates. It's also frustrating that it's a year wait to get a Fed to look at your plane, but they can spare two to evaluate the DAR?

In the end: minor speedbump. It sounds like you'll be able to get it squared away pretty easily and flying shortly.

efwd
05-13-2020, 04:24 PM
This all sounds terrible. Im grateful that my DAR was also my EAA technical counselor and had visited three times through the build. He was fairly familiar with a Kitfox by time he did the final inspection.

Shadowrider
05-13-2020, 09:26 PM
Yeah i guess it could be worse. We will get it sorted and down to the airport shortly. Having a FAA rep is usually not a good thing including check rides!

Shadowrider
05-13-2020, 09:36 PM
Here is some photos of my recent flying adventures.

This is a photo from going down and visiting a friend who was camped out with his family. Brought him some hot home made brownies for his wives birthday. Found a road to land on close to his camper.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/90QkqTaNbiq9VMRmeEv3gokHzZc7jX1kSsr7LMPI5HtEl436_N hjORJ0E4y7nxzBoPsSWLQHQAZ2HqYTOiDXS4-MaZtBg9m93XVrKAO4ybTNRvx-2V2yDzths63I2yc4c2dX_0npk6867c2jbNvNdXqbLvCL5TNHxt-uVKTjKCIHX13n2ml7Fkp5HKyVBFKwnGflsHgO6Ff9NXzOczDP9 nm94k28xaAFlk5wQikMlKPgrbF5cDxK2Zqz-N_ERx8aZUwwqnr4KcpKoAFDSxXrjNGQ75xDrJHmKcZTVgXgzQ8 QXHzYX2-UoBd0ivBKnRq9DHAJoALBO0EKal3DsfcCOYhWeaxEgmqQMe4zS MlzS_lR70Ykc32N1lUeMt19CXmOzT7egbCKVljRd_f7CmQrkqj 0HmzVqgy-FyKO6Zcqq8MX7dybs3wuGsu334ze25xzeRDlT5urYVvHoVuK6-vVcX0dmQAG-jIsQFa1TbTU20_61rTEcvwP3dOGmkNqS8zWZQmN7ui2qkvMf-qiu-Jir2pBrWdkDf2kukZvKzUZy0r9To9ckv64VzO0RvrZUx1O4QOV F_AAZwx0kpFSBGYcVi1ErN2cV4KIQMVHq5aOfSCCrRrOo8nMsl VRXpPZYQCDUmidfKlDjxtqAu1ffpptOvbg6tG5fbuZDTYp-AFoM5iab7-I0a0dgjeaZrsryaaz4FU_lICC-2sAK6i47JStxDdUlRbie4CzvYfQDlxG_7aWrtnqaDWDDwOk=w1 374-h1030-no?authuser=0

On our way to Mexican mountain I had to stop and show Cedar Mountain to my son. His favorite part was the takeoff and dropping off the 1500' on the South end.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/yb5_zjDJr68gcnW-t7d-KIMahel_v1y2BA5i1Ey6QzQSha49E63KgPsCOqq2i7qXpUBGSM W11oBTQwGhzYMTsLH33YnCl4tmz_Wrad7jQ85_9Bz6-DckBMdU3baGuU01VxfZJYmARJlpv1Ssy7D7VB6Irene7BJHplU NiH9EVkh1Nhq-g1vmZk-O9j397pwWRNedSpEISW2ruUP-2qmjmwtcelDJ2qZJKpqHD362UHhok9Y9fS2-dEXGXwTHklM9XiFwIaDdEz_Wso-0OP0-b6qtTz_UsJcswxbFu_pYX54cY1K9J-2rxksZdB1KZs6Rstd-Mra6I0bHCy2lPmeFVtQjo4YbLzK11M4nGcw0PsafonFOjI6nu8 CLqfBjZr5JVMZK7yTOUsDsawEX4tqcqQxaJylFYJGqw--klHkFwvl_SqJVRJIwdIt7BIGSRS0uomQLaGRgRqdPWBbKLIXLF 7uVWTQGWGg1ZK8LzQeEBgQp9fcEwHb-794A6wvhrc5P9HzZwkg9Nri7mfhwvdIWFmIZZdJuU5PJoIMkPC w2zAeo73s7k6P0ItqDeyZ9xbj2UjJQbd0F8mkcd8IFiwxGKUIt 3DvyaNecR1MmPaBfbCCfMWDcTdSGKtxkciSIKpsEJMLNCxO5dY xBr8AWz8DeORDfmcIqm-IIMFFTA9G5zb1ugn6CsI_LESclvK_-8GbETOZoRhryrJi4b1r5jPlEJLgR-K5jDgzXN8bza4Gim3Sgl6w181JmeezO=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

Mexican Mountain was awesome!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3KfeaHVR2r1tmWtOCn0kkkOOGxE8q4kNjUIKrNs1Rys9jDgWVC 0YWaGArWMhtE08pFfoexQA6b7N3PLmB28a1nDkg_k6oYqMAQML tyfAieKjdTa0KjE4raGiZ_QkJAQRJluYkWatqwpDygPmKx6rcQ C7SmSEPVwtOlrS1-zs0ipztApFd006S9hh_O4AqopRkFoO2nqEH24YGB0PJFNejG_s 5ZPLy3dU4tsXIph9iI9MEt2_apQEo5CMgfiMpRWFH-hfnlIKkGkmEA9uaZJk2bzGYdS-K6amzLKo_Qxfn260uMOC3gJiWryAKF7vEcz48LI3SssT0jMGYj 0T6zvGu1ri-SkNpgauX0rECnmFeZXVw5LqX6hgUD-zOP7HzGIvqh4WcBr5wUfqzPWZJKpo3UC-kd0_1VDj5vXT6roV2g_fblntoIIFJ9KKtB3ZZQX6qomyOn-GJMUYaLIdgrCUX4oe1SGdQEhcT_9b-oEDKx9BVvmVRKQsWVy9l826KKh8jAW374OMHG0brOn1bwFI6U4 C8rxkrnmFYqCoGRKPCau9Mp79kd2oHt0Lw5RzFOjLUPetAPNlT DF8A4F4gxB5XIYVPQv6titZ3IeDCstjXrCevLTaPRaLs5VNCBA 6-k___r4d-j6NIuXpRGPBY___TWXFEgGn_bZGCgg1W9wua2_ZH5PEcdfvikK _M3MPWpT-Zz0XQC3nxcfmqwsN6KcaaUnF47SKMe6VKWWWltNrxkpimZNQ_6-Tg1NW=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

After visiting Mexican mountain, we went west to land in the desert. Found a cattle road that was not a bad landing spot. I think up there with airplane camping, finding places to land is pretty dang fun!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/DnT_DOV4_BE3eHbd2jZKl9_us1kOx8ynoSKdY9eUw7WZCkDNog HhGhgSnQziMcDF5mqAXcdUobwLyrf66FAdK0kuSPphuJXVa3o7 a1oc4TprbT8QdeeWo_A0ueXsZqUFvbg7UPd7NSa7L2xYVcaswY FTH_aa4XOkBP71MXtM5THowg5N7pR3zxZoPAe2PvAzLU86gaQs ZhoJ4ITMs7NPH-tYUwvMyvbgYtaBsYOSMECszCjVFshzE1NLwHJTEPj1LHy4lBp1 4aR13912iTEp5mdxUaAhWyIR1Gs9PMjuebIHI0FjW9rPdJXtiv C6jUN86UhTT2UA7AZnCPi0h7ZlHDjLXcyMrQlW6rtdhHaW9px9 _R1uihuEvZQUWEfmAlgElhIAkEJ8kBfoyvfr_VgROJHXogWxdG dyxrrG8ux-kA7QxG5GG_EyWl33f7SitTI8GiCJmJ4_6yz_Ux0Uy5aq402qlT zCipeL9RXnOc1Fm0qggRqDxODeScSO_ClkUZaLVq9xmUFg03IW b6Viv3Dfh6-5CaK-DjykEBRBY5tvdneu5QODhWDFBux_HuI5H-g9xlCDGAOmrvCDQQH7YjXS_yQw4ZdB6MjARp36MuTV4CaHF3oj P7Oi17NtefucA1xBV5FmSuT3uvR-jfoDQ6Nu1fpYw9EWrX6r1Rh9BJLjnKk6sAMXoE4Z6Dp3qEHr_W 5F-wdhlkQMRfs8PWpc_xIYzic98u5X-OYkz7u--UQxpRJIwEMh_peMbs9d=w1439-h1030-no?authuser=0

Desertwndrr
05-13-2020, 10:59 PM
Too cool. What amazing scenery.

Been following this thread closely. I appreciate the work that you’ve put in to both builds. I live in southern Utah. Would love to find a time to eyeball both you and your brothers Kitfox’s if possible. I’m getting ready to begin my own adventure with Kitfox.

Shadowrider
05-14-2020, 11:30 AM
Anytime! We are at KPVU.

Shadowrider
05-15-2020, 08:41 AM
DAR was able to sign-off N53TF via pictures. Time to move it to airport and start flying!:cool:

PapuaPilot
05-15-2020, 08:47 AM
That is great news! We can't wait to hear about your first flight.

Did you end up rerouting the brake lines?

Shadowrider
05-15-2020, 08:56 AM
No we where able to keep them the same routing, the DAR was okay If they passed through a grommet and not have them rigid mount to the frame.

efwd
05-15-2020, 09:42 AM
See, No FAA guy standing there over his shoulder. LOL
Great news Dustin. On to the first flight!

yocum137
05-23-2020, 03:24 PM
Dustin,

I just spent the last 3 days reading your whole thread. You’ve heard it all before, but let me pile on a bit, too: Fantastic job, beautiful plane(s)!

Now that you’re “done” and have had a little time to reflect, what would you do different? What would you do the same?

It seemed like you guys did a ton of work on the electrical system. Now that Kitfox has a 4 pre-wired panel options, would you skip doing it yourself and buy one off the shelf?

Likewise, the cowl work you did to accommodate the EP912sti seemed to be never ending and in the end you aren’t getting high enough temps without taping off the oil cooler. Would you put in smaller NACAs? Not raise the inlet as much, or at all?

Oh, and did you ever add up all your hours?

I hope I can do as nice of work as you’ve done! 👍🏻👍🏻

Thanks,
Dan

Shadowrider
05-24-2020, 01:03 PM
Hey Dan thanks for the compliments! Looking back there is not a lot that I would change.

The pre-wired options kitfox is providing is great option for those that don't want to tackle the wiring. Nikk is involved in building them, so seeing his work first hand I know they will be top quality. Not sure if its and option, but we love the vertical power and having an Ipad also. My kids like watching movies as we head out to landing spots, because you are not setting any ground speed records! In fact Friday I was watching cars on the freeway pass me!

Not much I would change doing it over again. One thing I would probably not do was the rheostat for the cabin heater. I think I would just put a switch. Seems like when its cold the heat is on High and when its not cold its off. Maybe wire it like kitfox does with a two position switch. Low is one fan, high is two fans. I would defiantly switch the fans out to higher CFM fans.

On 53TF we ran he exhaust straight out. I went back and changed 33TF to straight out also. It looks better, keeps the exhaust of the gear leg, and I think gives you a little speed. Speed is probably wishful thinking though. Also keeps the Oratex from staining.

As far as cooling I would still leave the bottom lip on and drop the cowl. This provides more exit air so you don't over pressurize the cowl. Also gives you the room to run straight out exhaust. I ran two NACAs for the intercooler and Cory ran one large naca. We have not flown his yet but on the ground runs his intake temps are staying very cool. I think his intake temps are going to be cooler than mine. They will need to be significant for me to go back and change it. His right now are under 100F at 44" map on the ground runs so things are looking good. Update on 53TF is that we have done all the initial tuning and ground runs. Wastegate table is all set and prop pitch is set. We pitched for 5400 RPMS and 44" MAP static. At 60IAS should be around 5600 and 46map. Possible flight testing starting next week. Once in the air, now with the new reg allowing a passenger(crew member) on flight test, I am going to go up and help tune. Nice thing with the Edge ecu as you can dial the egts withing 15F of each other. I am also not a fan of trying to get peak efficiency, so I don't mind burning a little extra fuel to keep the egts down to a more comfortable level.

The edge912STI is a great engine. Amazing power to weight ratio. I can takeoff in about half the distance I can land at. I am getting better at landing, but takeoffs will always be shorter. So, no regrets there. Some ask if I would have gone the EPEX300hp if it was out when we ordered our engine. That would be crazy to have double the HP I have. Not sure I would want to be the first one figuring it out (on a Kitfox) so I would have to say I would still choose the EP912STI.

Brandon from kitfox is saying he wants to do STI photoshoot! Hopefully this happens and we get some cool photos with 3 STIs! Brandon and Heather have been awesome to work with and very helpful on the builds!

yocum137
05-28-2020, 08:54 PM
Hey Dustin,

Thanks for the thoughtful and complete feedback. I should have qualified my questions by asking “what you do different... to make the build portion go faster?” I think the pre-built wire harness would save weeks, as will using aerodynamic struts instead of the tube with the clip-on streamlining.

Fiberglass work... ugh. That’s something that concerns me. Granted, I’ve watched a friend build a cowl from scratch for his Bücker Jungmann over the last 10-15 years, so I really shouldn’t judge fiberglass construction on his speed (or lack thereof). He also has something like 8-10 aircraft in various stages of disassembly, so I REALLY shouldn’t look to him as an example of how to get stuff done. We bought him a hat that says ‘TFR.’ He wasn’t amused. 😂

But, I digress.

The other time saver is the Oratex. The last time I thought about building a plane Stewart System was the new kid on the block (yes, about 10 years ago). Seeing how quickly you all covered your planes just astounds me! And the attention to detail you put into it... just stunning!

Anyway, thanks again., and good luck flying off the hours on your brothers plane!

Dan

Shadowrider
05-28-2020, 09:49 PM
Thanks Dan! Yes the air-foiled struts for sure. I thought we got every option, to later find out kitfox has a hidden menu. :) The struts took soo much time to finish. Oratex was a huge time saver and weight saver. Was a little "alot" frustrated with it when it started to stain. Fortunately I was able to match some single stage polyurethane paint and paint where the exhaust was staining it. Corys is ready to go minus the out of balance spinner. Trying to decide what to do. It runs very smooth but now he put the spinner on it has some bad vibrations and this is with a balance mast on. May fly it without the spinner? We love the NR props but the spinnners, not so much.

yocum137
05-29-2020, 08:07 AM
My initial thought is to layup (tape, to test?) some thin strips of fiberglass on the inside of the spinner until you get it into balance, but a quick google search came up with this discussion on the Vans forums that looks pertinent: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=156016

If there’s a spinner backplate, it might be warped. Also, the screw holes might not be lined up. Both of which could put the spinner into a “wobble.”

I’m sure you guys will figure it out. 👍🏻

Shadowrider
06-02-2020, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the link yocum137. Interesting reading through it. We are thinking maiden flight will be without a spinner until we come up with a solution. First we may just try rotating the spinner and see if we get different results.

On a different topic I know that there has been some discussion on what ELT to get. I will have to say I could NOT recommend the ACK elt. Both ELTs in our planes our ACK ELTS and where installed exactly the same. I decided to do a self test via the remote button and nothing happened. (Worked when installed) Tested the other one on my brothers plane and his does not work either. (Also worked when installed) I unplugged the remote (the phone cord) and plugged it back in and now the remote button is working. Corys still does not work. Honestly my issues with these elts are the buttons and remotes are not the best quality and the buttons feel very cheaply made. Now to try and trouble shoot it and figure out what is up with them. When sending power to the ELT, it does do its self test and beeps once along with the light flashing, so I think the batteries are good, just pressing the reset/test button does not do anything.

Onto a different topic of something I just learned talking with Garmin. We have the G3x and we have the GTX45R transponder. The adsb weather has always worked but I have never received Lightning/Cloud Tops/Icing Forecast/Turbulence Forecast. When doing ground runs with Corys plane we where checking the WX and noticed it downloaded all these options. Both of our planes are wired identical. In fact I just copied the config file from my G3x and transferred it to his and everything was setup and working. (This saved me hours) I always thought Lightning/Cloud Tops/Icing Forecast/Turbulence Forecast was additional services that where not available currently. In trouble shooting I noticed that my Ipad is getting Turbulence forecast. The Ipad is bluetooth to the GTX45R so the transponder is receiving the info. After consulting with Garmin they where baffled why this was happening.

Well after digging deep in the manual we found the solution. Deep in the manual is a small paragraph stating the Lightning/Cloud Tops/Icing Forecast/Turbulence Forecast is only available on the G3X via Bluetooth. RS232 cannot transmit this Data to the G3x. Because I had connected my phone via bluetooth to the G3x it kicked off the transponder. G3x can only have 2 bluetooth connections going at once. G3x was connected via bluetooth to the IPAD and Transponder but when I connected my phone it kicked off my transponder. The weather data I was receiving was coming to the transponder via rs232 but was not getting Lightning/Cloud Tops/Icing Forecast/Turbulence Forecast because you can only get that data via bluetooth to G3x. So I just had to forget my phone ong G3x and now its receiving all WX data.

On a final note I purchased an O2 system. Flight levels.....here I come!

Hoping to Maiden Corys this week. On the ground runs he is seeing hotter CHT'S than mine and we are working on a solution. We have a couple theories, and if we get this figured out we are shooting for WED. FYI he got his tailwheel Saturday in my plane!

Here is how mine has always looked since day 1.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cHpA8tILerA0-C6F-b1yQxlHKmVGtZ-qoxtl_GHSw2SJv4pc6CfDDXwFfynxp6MLht3jx86M8Rb5I3ens BkzXmqigllVXV_d6w3MlAkrFiQ4bd3F3b8QLYl8D-D15UvVyWt1GGHpG8uTZnQ_k82d33uA=w580-h1030-no?authuser=0

Here is what is looks like now. The Sigment had not downloaded yet but should.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3e9an4LtABxBJUpJ95WxFEU0fkc0GM6wAXmBEI34TD_Fuw4XAt v-04gxXsF5ZXDJkapeIEsd1jlAhANM9IvkmuzKxaMAHXbPF9yp65 XRsT9_pc1PivdYc1Au7mvEgGyayjOunXk-f5bH8maVI4XJethdw=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3clzrzeKAwxlgZSx18v_KtRnRcSEY_GF4bY_5rIKPKD6_zYYn7 iaoRmTEAteyNis6SDjmnRjIenNaRKxbzcPF5V-twm9lt6-CpXLsri3KHog2oqZZnXzYdoUrW43MaeraDjFzxcKkRQ0p8Ky2r xoEs5qw=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

bbs428
06-03-2020, 04:06 PM
Great info Dustin. I enjoy all your posts as they are chock full of pertanant data. Oh - and your plane is over the top cool. Lol. Safe flying! :D

Shadowrider
06-04-2020, 01:02 PM
Thanks Brett. I really have used this forum a ton and it’s a good way to keep track of stuff.

Well maiden is off, or postponed. We did a high speed taxi test to check controls and tracking. As soon as we hit 40mph adahars failed. Troubleshot it and anything over 40mph and it failed. We used the poor mans pitot static test. Air compressor spraying air at the pitot while one person watches airspeed. I started at 10’ and slowly walked closer. Airspeed would start indicating anything over 40mph and reboot. Hopefully garmin can get a new one to us quickly.

yocum137
06-06-2020, 05:46 PM
You glass pilots! All that fancy gear and you get grounded by a malfunctioning ASI! You know, back in the old days, pilots flew by the seat of their pants and they used Johnson Airspeed Indicators: http://forums.matronics.com/download.php?id=28288 Guaranteed not to reboot!

:cool:

I *am* giving you a hard time, but plenty of flights have taken place with the old Vane Type ASIs.

Hope Garmin gets you a replacement unit ASAP.

Cheers!
Dan

Shadowrider
06-06-2020, 11:51 PM
Yeah back in the day pilots didn’t live as long either! Glass is where it’s at. Lighter, better, and safer. I know your giving us a hard time.....right back at you.🙂

Garmin should have us something shortly.

Utah-Jay
06-08-2020, 02:32 PM
I can say I read this whole thread between last night and today. Amazing and great looking planes. If you’re ever looking for a navigator 😂 I’m in Heber and would love to ride along

Shadowrider
06-10-2020, 06:25 AM
Thanks Jay!

Garmin sent us a new GSU-25 and the adahars is still failing exactly like before. After about 3 seconds of reading airspeed it reboots. Canbus connection stays connected but the GSU-25 reboots. We checked everything I could think of. Shut everything off except for the G3x and GSU-25. Still fails after 3 seconds of reading airspeed. Unhooked Static source and AOA and still fails. One thing we did discover is the data (adahrs info) that is being bluetoothed to the IPAD is in correct. G3x shows 15 degrees nose up on the ground, which is correct. The Ipad is showing 10 degrees nose down. The interesting thing is the ipad is getting its attitude information from the G3X. After checking everything, the only two possible solutions are the GSU-25 they sent us is bad. We are going to call garmin and see if this is a new unit, or if its like certifed aircraft, this was sent back as a bad part from someone else and they bench checked it with "no fault found" and sent it to us. Or, the only other thing would be the G3X is bad. Going to consult Garmin but I am now thinking the G3x is bad?

Shadowrider
06-10-2020, 07:06 AM
For those of you following along and wanting a list of things to do different, here is one for you! I would highly recommend getting banjo fittings for the fuel. They are expensive, 100$, but will could save you down the road. I detected a small leak develop coming out of the right fuel tank. I had pressure tested my tanks for days with no leaks before installing. This is after a couple months of no leaks. I detected a slight yellowing of my fabric. So I talked to Brandon and he suggested banjo fittings. Kitfox sells the kit. Just get them when you order. Decided to try and operate. Well operation went well and I have leak checked them and I am good now. This was the tank that I remember not being able to get the fitting as tight as I wanted but worried that if I tried to go another 180 I would crack the tank. The nice thing about the banjo fitting is you are not limited by where the 90 ends up. So I had to carefully cut the 90 off to spin out the brass fitting. Then I had to open up the rib slightly to fit the head of the banjo fitting. All this while making sure you don't get debris in the tank.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fuf-0u1jH8D2lCzrfP22h7i2u8oSc8XGJfDOaLPSvePDVp6hlmaA83 uS7BqeTIarK7o_aFwgcvtvRkHOl16IDEwHOJh3nLkQ7IiwUTEj 8QsKpCioSjqduDBo46MzLE8v5iqY1gf5qcNdWtIOY2KHxAlA=w 1374-h1030-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fenN8FQcnJP1vxqrdyQctioQILzYxsmZ5iDFrvdjThGrGZtZt-0nkIFEpi514iXu2GcJ9vfXJOXWRi3jSyKfj9fjXlAT2JLvMjf-NoRxlI-BJk-MXGBiSyrTVTpJt4FuiCJtfiOXGe4inOFQmy-WTRig=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fyjgw2rJkeT5qis_1WnYWv3hS8LO_vivfVqlaUtBx-nSXy7p0JKvjcg5d7uC-DzbuzabkSKDk6yCZLmFTB4Vqi1kSrmdDn9hFvrKaUsQiGoQ_sn 5skbOBH89WoZp3gXzYQH0-F7HDBuif3Ug2iQ3i0-A=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dLINjSt6bQHOtEs7Pq2zmIWlvUEWN29UdjrKGcEJVC4tq413Q giQzU6Tz83vijbVXHaciOM9p3er6uQe8iox4BjfIzwhI-XGF8-NuhKIx1BWKgkHBWmUh18-PxwN2ydrFYlQRJrONY-qyxFqToGIuweg=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3ebgankievRH4_9xzGiT3BYS3SA9Ja6yOAwH0mVUk0o_HmbGkJ DmQCc6UsxWArkz3iVwz1AZ2fOMDbxaWXkUmd2ClSL-45e7KmT9EdZkFy6i2vCWHQp95CmhSa-g068dEQGqGy7-j7qyB6QtAf7i99IHg=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

bumsteer
06-10-2020, 11:19 AM
Dustin

I'm installing the banjo fittings. Did you come up with a torque setting for the banjo bolt or did you go by feel? The only number I could find was for brakes and it was 95-122 in-lbs not to exceed 144 in-lbs. Since the bolt is going into an aluminum bushing, I figure it can't be too high and you're only trying to seal the crush washers. Thanks.

Rick

Kitfox Pilot
06-10-2020, 03:18 PM
Is this the fitting that has to come out annually to check the screen?

Shadowrider
06-10-2020, 04:29 PM
Not a way to get a torque wrench in there so I was using an end wrench. I tightened them as tight as I could get it with the a small end wrench.

I don’t plan on pulling them out as it would be a lot of wear and tear on the tank and start to leak. I think I read some use a bore scope from filler cap to check strainer?

efwd
06-10-2020, 07:16 PM
Do you plan to swap your G3X from your panel to his to see if its the G3X?
I am crossing my fingers on my fuel fittings. No problems so far. I wish I had done the banjo fittings myself. I see you had to cut the fitting. I think in spite of my modifications to the rib, I will have to cut mine as well.

Shadowrider
06-10-2020, 08:54 PM
Eddie I made modifications to rib prior in hopes if it leaks I could unscrew it’s. I fortunately I think you will tear the fabric if you don’t cut the 90 off. The diameter of the banjo fitting is much larger than brass 90 so you have to open up the rib some.

So today we swapped G3x and gsu-25. Error did not follow. Basically we are down to a wiring issues. I have checked ground and power. Next theory is there is something going on with the vertical power. For some reason the GSU-25 is power cycling after 3 second of seeing airspeed. I didn’t have my laptop. Vertical power is not saying Gsu-25 is exceeding amps, but maybe it’s happening for a split second? It drawing so little power it’s not display any amp draw on the g3x.

Shadowrider
06-11-2020, 11:43 AM
We found the problem! VPX plug J1 pin 2, is power cycling momentary. For some reason when the GSU-25 see's airspeed for 3 seconds or more which must alter the amp draw slightly and the VPX changes voltage enough to cause the GSU-25 to reboot. I switched two pins, 1 to 2 and 2 to1. (GSU-25 to GPS 20) Now the GPS reboots randomly and the Adahrs works normally.

bbs428
06-11-2020, 12:01 PM
Nice bit of troubleshooting there Dustin. So you'll have to R&R the VPX unit?

Shadowrider
06-11-2020, 02:04 PM
We could combine those two circuits into 1. The amp draw is less than .1 between them both, and not use pin 2, but would prefer to send it back. Working on a replacement.

Kitfox Pilot
06-11-2020, 03:57 PM
I bet you sure did some head scratching to find that.
Glad you got it narrowed down.

Shadowrider
06-13-2020, 09:51 PM
Yes lots of head scratching. I will tell you I am very glad every wire was labeled as it helped troubleshooting all of this. Vertical power is saying we must return the unit and they will test it. So.......now we wait!

Shadowrider
06-18-2020, 10:09 AM
Adding some bling!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3ddwzsdk3gl6U2Fm54rwyzr5xmZSBRH50-idLNrbO6fJaxvpaunuj35Z1z8voqh7eDfK9qCG0JhB8H_BMtnO PtxEikX7cBQ_TErVx3vKwg3VL-pzyjThDIgK0h9qaWgDby2s2S6PxckgdmcIr8EduhgGA=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fByv9rabzUpFJxSRlLMKl4ErPvP1IrtJ_w7DKszosbyzSWHZC PZnG6R1K-uSPCJwNd3eIXG1SFcVV79jWSSwkLVm2KkK10eZH0Mn12YRQwKe 8_cK7Ybq28JHrz1XZo2zL6Sh5TQ8l4iptK6pl5VbgK9A=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

Clark in AZ
06-18-2020, 11:37 AM
Nice! :cool:

Clark

Shadowrider
06-18-2020, 12:48 PM
I have had some ask on parts needed for the G3X and running the edge912STI. I copied part numbers and what I could think of. Don't hold me to anything!

Throttle cable we ran the Mcfarlane MCTV3035-048. You will need a throttle arm. You can make one or get in touch with Brian, Aviatior79 and buy one from him.

ES-50054 from stein air. This is a pcb board that integrates the require resistors for rpm signal and oil pressure signal.

Intercooler. (edge will build you one) We bought a 915 takeoff. Rotax part number 888962

Oil to water heat exhanger https://www.batinc.net (https://www.batinc.net/) Laminova cooling by Sem c43-90 mocalusa.com

Silicone hose for heat exchanger 1.000" ID 90 Degree, 10" Legs
Siliconehose.com

Naca for intake and intercooler.
https://www.pro-werks.com (https://www.pro-werks.com/) (Had to modify the 7x14naca) C42-030 (https://www.pro-werks.com/partdetail/C42-030/)

Kitfox sold us a naca for the intake.

K&N Filter RU-830 (Summit Racing)

Intake temp guage.
UMA Temp Probe 1/8 NPT 1B1R Must be 1B1R. If it does not have and R it will not work. Recommend to order directly from UMA. You will also need 3/16" Barb to 1/8" Male NPT Adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DVFG5V5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Manifold Pressure.
UMAPressure Sender ABS 0-60 1/8”F NPT

EGTS Spruce part number 15-09438 IM-927 EGT TYPE K SENSOR 6ft.

Fuel Pressure.
(Kavlico P4055-50G-E4A)

Fuel Flow
(2) FT-60 fuel cubes

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/
Silicone Connectors= $33.98
1 x 2.0" Silicone 90° Elbow, Blue (SIL000029)
1 x 2' Mandrel Bent Aluminum 90° Bend, 2.0" (SIL000696) = $14.99
1 x 2.0" Silicone 135° Elbow, Blue (SIL000650) = $19.99
1 x 2.0" Silicone 1' Straight Hose, Blue (SIL000186) = $24.99
6 x T-Bolt Clamp for 2.00" Silicone Parts (CLA000100) = $15.60 (I think the next size up would be better. Use 2.25 and one of the tclamps go to the next size above 2.25 for the throttle body connection.)

DesertFox4
06-19-2020, 01:23 AM
Thanks for putting together this list Dustin. 👍 You’ve been very generous with your knowledge and support. I’m sure many here are appreciative. Enjoy every flight.

Clark in AZ
06-19-2020, 08:04 AM
Thanks for putting together this list Dustin. 👍 You’ve been very generous with your knowledge and support. I’m sure many here are appreciative. Enjoy every flight.

^^^^THIS^^^^ :cool:

Clark

Shadowrider
06-19-2020, 10:38 AM
Happy to help! Hopefully I can reduce some brain damage for the next guy!

Shadowrider
07-07-2020, 07:08 AM
Quick update on #2 STI. Vertical power says there is nothing wrong with our VPX. J1 plug pin 2 is powering the ADAHARS, and keeps interrupting power momentarily and causes the ADAHARS to reboot. I switched pin 1(gps 20) to pin 2(adahars). Now the GPS will reboot every 15-30 seconds. We tried to get them to send us a new one but they keep claiming we have a wire issue. Cory finally got the tech support to send his test unit to try and put that one in. Lets just say their warranty program is nothing like garmins. Garmin will send you a new unit and when the new one arrives you ship back the old one. This has put a big damper on things, so Cory is taking a break for awhile right now. We will eventually get this figured out and be back at it.

Utah-Jay
07-07-2020, 07:41 AM
Dustin

Which avionics is Cory working with?

Shadowrider
07-07-2020, 11:18 AM
Vertical power. We are both running vertical power for power distribution and circuit protection. Don’t get me wrong I love them, but warranty has been an issue.

Clark in AZ
07-07-2020, 11:26 AM
Just curious, if both planes are wired identically, have you exchanged the VPX units to verify/replicate the issue?

Clark

Shadowrider
07-07-2020, 11:47 AM
No because I am 100% confident it is not wiring on our side and I don't really want to do the trouble shooting for VPX. That was my next step to prove that its not a wiring issue if we have to but I prefer not to. They keep telling us that there is nothing wrong with the VPX but for a millisecond the voltage changes enough to cause the garmin LRU (first the adahars, now the GPS 20 to reboot) They said they tested it 3 times on there bench test, but I am telling them their equipment is not detecting the voltage change. Cory talked VPX into sending us a bench test unit they had to try. We put it an and low and behold.....guess what it works! No reboot! Now to try and figure out the next step. First we would prefer they replace our unit with a new unit, but sounds like they wont. They keep saying they will not replace it because nothing is wrong with it. I guess this is the hard part about experimentals is they have to deal with amateurs who don't know what they are doing. My guess is I am going to have to video it and come up with a way to prove to them there is a problem with the VPX. I just don't really want to tear my plane apart to do it. Cross our fingers they will believe us there is a problem with the VPX even though their bench test equipment is not showing anything. I have a electrical engineering friend that has some fancy equipment. Almost tempted of having him put it on his scope that can monitor and record voltage enough to prove to them we have an issue. Fingers crossed......

efwd
07-07-2020, 02:46 PM
Awe man, the Gremlin has got ahold of you. This is why I wanted to have my wiring done professionally. Certainly wouldn't have aided in this problem. I have the VPX as well. I guess I lucked out.

Shadowrider
07-07-2020, 05:37 PM
I think they are pretty solid and I love how they work. Sounds we just got really unlucky and they are skeptical of us because they have had no failures in 7 years since they switched manufacturers.

Geek
07-07-2020, 05:59 PM
One would think that the fact the issue migrated from one line replaceable unit (LRU in their language) to another with the same symptom from the same source and then follow up with replacing the unit with a known good bench unit clears the issue would alleviate some of the skepticism. One fail in how many units isn't a business calamity. Wonder what it takes for a trifecta to convince them. I was planning on using the VPX unit in my build but am really pulling on the reins now in seeing how they are handling this. Just doesn't make sense.

G

Shadowrider
07-09-2020, 12:31 PM
Good news is they finally believe us there is a problem! They have told us to ship the VPX back to them again and they will replace the board. We where going to keep the test unit they sent us to test but they said we don’t want the test unit because it’s old and has the old boards in it. So now we wait again for the repair probably 2 weeks. I guess on the bright side it’s pretty hot to fly here in Utah right now.

bbs428
07-09-2020, 01:07 PM
Excellent news Dustin. Glad Vertical Power came through for you and Cory. ;)

Shadowrider
07-24-2020, 12:36 PM
VPX is back in the plane. Need to do some taxi test and make sure its working properly, then its time to maiden N53TF.

In the mean time got a couple flights in. Flew a friend up to Bear Lake. Picture doesn't do it justice, but flying over bear lake feels like Caribbean blue!

Finally, I went out and did some off airport stuff. Fun times!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dS9i6oDPuUZBQQkbMt0NttN4Oa1YuWL7iLOY-0ZuXv0JE1VT-eKvqKCkbjttV3fPrE3vKFSX7-VhCWqJ85pPHd1VsvB_2JuaexYh2B_1Hb1UjrG_E8Iq1841AakJ YMpqsJ_39qkhi4LshNcgT7wAS5qg=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3etu9JQf6uCpmsrptFdllII5gmWK8MxlSc2dpH48HtOCAgragI vn6xuGOXjrS--b31_B4nm5VuPdJ-RE3A2EF7ooXRl7_kQGKa-R1smZaeMGrWsw3gaY1xpHyJyYy6tQK5ueXAOZ2CZOTjiYUQ0Df sFbQ=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fNvKJJo65A6zM3UL_dK3RJlc6eXZJqGCEPJPioIFHaL8NShza EWAvUNqiSpLnzzC1r6XRKKhwLIoiCtpUSACV-Jpd9BXXH4v6v6-OymVAPCBrJNcvgT-trIogJa6wRcY67_nKbOLOOO_ms4SNCBoyr8A=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

Eric Page
07-24-2020, 01:01 PM
Hope you don't mind, Dustin, but I'm using that last picture as my computer's desktop image (until I have one of my own plane!). Beautiful photo!

Clark in AZ
07-24-2020, 01:32 PM
Awesome! Dustin, did VPX give you any feedback as to what the problem was? Did they actually find the problem this time?

Thanks,
Clark

efwd
07-24-2020, 07:49 PM
Damn Dustin, if that pic doesn't put a smile on your face nothing will. Really nice.

Shadowrider
07-25-2020, 06:45 AM
Eric not at all!

VPX was never able to duplicate the error we where seeing (momentary power interruption on plug J1 pin 2). So they replaced the circuit board for J1 plug. Basically the circuit board that all the J1 pins are connected to. Sounds like they way VPX's are built is each plug has its own separate circuit board that drives the pins on that plug. I am assuming that is why they recommend separating critical components to different plugs.

Thanks Eddie!

Looks like maiden is happening next week!

SomeDay7
07-25-2020, 09:17 AM
Great pics Dustin. Can't wait to see some videos of both of them flying together.

Shadowrider
08-23-2020, 03:05 PM
N53TF is FLYING!

Maiden went well. We opted for a two man crew, so I went up with Cory on the maiden. Not sure I like riding right seat??? Took the laptop and got the tune pretty close on the first flight. AFR's where pretty good, but fuel trims between the cylinders where off. I adjust the trims and the tune and got it pretty close. Only slight tweaks after the maiden to adjust the boost and richen up the fuel map in one spot. We learned a couple of things in regards to the balance master. On Cory's we decided not to balance his prop and just run the balance master. Flying back to back I can tell a difference between mine and his. Below 2500rpms we had vibration that was noticeable between our airplanes. We discovered the spinner is what is causing the vibration. After removing the spinner and flying it both planes run the same on vibrations levels but it looks funny with no spinner. So we rented Pateys dynavibe and put his spinner back on to balance it. .7IPS with the spinner on. (No balance master) After 3 runs we had it down to .06ips and called it good. Balance master works great, but it was unable to smooth out the spinner wobble below 2500rpms. So with the prop and spinner on and balanced, we put the balance master back on, and its running very smooth now just how mine is.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3f-NzL2t0ZsY_3cp_fe5du6djzcmXcmcHpQOn9rbq1UOPTg17le-03P2KJSZFyfo52uD8VfKjQ1bhz4TBeesjBNyUth2444ejCZGKP _1wm0oDt_7gpEJEHOSwkLj4CPH1fWPeSq5ikAkD-nouDxwr2xaQ=w1831-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3d64q5y-3NL6rCZL5QTYbBV4IclI9usL1jDPeTLGKpRDFgKlH3LCkADSGP PKbkzG1pjdc8FnroY3tpE7OJyvM5_irjjzzZ6omYWDcFM4IqqI ikbUmPzmjh1h7oCLxAts_r3Z8cZs0ncLeMuhLmIrU7NHQ=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0
Okay G3X users we also learned some valuable info. We where having a problem with calibrating the AOA. We learned that if you don't press clear, and only pressing calibrate, you are only trying to fine tune the number already in the AOA if there is one. Cory tried multiple times to calibrate the AOA and it was trying to fine tune a .09 so it kept failing. (we are not sure how that number got in there as stall AOA should be around .7 .8. in his plane) After learning that you need to hit clear, then calibrate we got the AOA indicating correctly.

Cory has now passed 10 hours and has ventured out away from the airport. I took my up and went flying to compare numbers. Fortunately/unfortunately his intake temps are 25-30f cooler than mine. (Cooler intake temps=more power, and farther away from Denotation) So, looks like I will be changing my Naca vent. I am going to cut in a new naca, and will have to sand and repaint the bottom cowl. Not looking forward to this but its significant enough to make it worth it. I am running two smaller nacas. Cory ran a single larger naca. I have the new naca on order and aerographics has already shipped out new decal that I will need.

Here is a couple pictures of some flying I did. Its been too hot for flying so I tried to find some cool air. Decided to try out my O2 bottle and went up to 17,500'. I climbed on autopilot, but hand flew it when I was up there and I can say the STI wing handles the altitude great. Before I take it up into the flight levels, I am going to hold off for the new oil pump from edge as you can see oil pressure was down low due to the low ambient pressure. Thomas is desigining a new oil pump to remidy this problem. Flew over one of my favorite spots, the sand dunes and at 17500 they looked small. Then needed a bathroom break so I circled down and landed out on some BLM land.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3c_baPHqAt7HrHKZOH2lktWq-hGFeEWeXvSJYICNt6rdV7AWTOn1OsF0EUnlkRs8gAy5rre1wzk EO0_TxWulMxyctBtLs5x7x5zl4PKp99jEHKEfO0jY7UFDewFmq Pq8vXtChOTW0gAB4vQQwCxO6Df4w=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dKAE9soWuBz3NeNPdVDbjSaZjDs7CXpbIEddl00I-_w491Ydz_DGS67XvGGxBbmvWO7g1w15l7cV4oMZcxYwPsdVpBC mrOn6-MvndH21sCy8g_sD8GYzvH0P_TiYuhSmfMeZ9HqIzW9j86Fh8xj 3RdDA=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3d5DotAORtQnCO7ryvv3cfy5Kq_7Ujgk0to1fWirXNF17bbzY0 oKppfk1afKsX2vbHeZxg15CKUikl0iYkKPj740QeEvdmmwaYZD A8iqxRWLXiJ2lcDHPE2iO9V9CH7m12KosMIaQ3SHKkgM-9dM8_qoQ=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fKF_Vs8uRL30g0swmuev2_T9H6-LrAxZVZ0tlnU2J4ABjVu-XzjMbdKSRU7sYasm1OR4nzTCVqNRswUcM5NHuOXvFFSxp_YSZW Wdqgv01IjoXYPeRc0lEC_fnSDbZCOw2a9gpG-e0ybmuD1SgcA7NCyQ=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

DesertFox4
08-23-2020, 03:45 PM
Big congrats!!! That’s one sophisticated Kitfox Dustin.👍 Amazing workmanship Sir. Enjoy.

bbs428
08-23-2020, 07:26 PM
Always with the valuable intel Dustin. Appreciate the AOA "clear" button heads up.
Interesting perspective from 17.5k up. Nice pic.
I'd say OAT of 24 deg. got you cooled off and then some! Enjoy!! :D

jrevens
08-23-2020, 10:36 PM
N53TF is FLYING!

... We learned a couple of things in regards to the balance master. On Cory's we decided not to balance his prop and just run the balance master. Flying back to back I can tell a difference between mine and his. Below 2500rpms we had vibration that was noticeable between our airplanes. We discovered the spinner is what is causing the vibration. After removing the spinner and flying it both planes run the same on vibrations levels but it looks funny with no spinner. So we rented Pateys dynavibe and put his spinner back on to balance it. .7IPS with the spinner on. (No balance master) After 3 runs we had it down to .06ips and called it good. Balance master works great, but it was unable to smooth out the spinner wobble below 2500rpms. So with the prop and spinner on and balanced, we put the balance master back on, and its running very smooth now just how mine is.

Nice report, Dustin! You're aware of the testing I did with a Balance Master comparing dynamic balancing, so I'm still interested in other's experiences. When you say spinner "wobble", do you mean that you can visually see it wobbling, or are you just talking about some measured/felt vibration? .06 ips is good, and it's unlikely that a normal human could perceive a difference with anything lower than that. Did you measure the vibration level again after balancing to .06 ips and then re-installing the BM? When you say you had it down to .06 ips after 3 runs, what rpm was that at? What was the level below 2500 with, and with out the BM? What brand is your spinner?

3 tracks
08-24-2020, 05:24 AM
Great info Dustin, thanks for sharing. You guys need to plan a trip up here after it cools off.

Shadowrider
08-24-2020, 08:06 AM
Steve thanks for the compliments!

bbs428.....yeah at 24f it felt so nice up high!

John the wobble in the spinner is a visible wobble at idle. We are both running NR spinners that came with the NR 79" 3 blade props. If you look at the tip of the spinner they are moving at least 1/2" around center. We did not measure the IPS after installing the balance master because I do not like doing ground runs at WOT or almost WOT. We have to strap the plane down and I am honestly amazed the dynamic balancer works as good as they do with the aircraft shaking as much as it does because of prop wash. Feels like something is going to let go! Not really but makes us nervous. We balanced it at 5200 rpms because we figured balancing it at cruise power where it will spend most of the time is probably best. Based on back to back flying here is the order of what we prefer in regards to the BM. I prefer the balance master and a balanced prop together the best. I know you got different results, but in the air that's what we are feeling is best. The balance master seems to make it smoother through varying rpms. Not a good way to validate this, but maybe in the air its smooths it more than on the ground because of the prop tracking or how the prop is loading and unloading?? Next I like a balanced prop with no balance master, but noticeably not as smooth on certain power settings. Then a balance master without balancing the prop, although below 2500-3000 there is noticeable shake/wobble we are feeling. So if you don't have access to a dynamic balancer, I would put a a balance master until you can get one and you will feel noticeable smoother operation. Then get your prop balanced for even smoother operations. At least this was our experience on both our aircraft.

Another note on the beacons or ELTS. Make sure you register your ELT! If you bought your airplane from someone, make sure you also register your ELT and update its contact info.
https://beaconregistration.noaa.gov/RGDB/

We have also started oil analysis on both our aircraft from avlab. Cory had 7hrs on the engine when he sent in a sample. His aluminum reading was 22ppm. I sent mine in when I had 30 hours since oil change and 130 hrs total time on the engine. Avlab contacted me that they are concerned that I have 66ppm aluminum.:confused: All other readings are normal. This is my first sample and it was taken after I had flown. I pulled the sample from the oil can using the tube then send. My plan is to change the oil at 150 hrs and see what the trend is doing. I am thinking that its mostly do to the motor still breaking? My first and second oil changes I cut the filter and found aluminum partles in the filter. Edge Performance says this is normal for the first couple oil changes after a new engine build. I was surprised and concerned finding anything in the filter, but I was assured its normal. This is a picture of the second filter change. I thought after the first it would of cleaned out everything, but apparently not?

Interesting enough I cut the filter off our new boat with the raptor 440 engine in it. (aluminum block) At 100hrs and 200hrs the filter also had small aluminum particles that look similar. I would think after 200hr you would get all the particles out from manufacturing, but apparently not?

Any one else have experience running oil samples?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3eDpdGGH3BM0muR-ZbR65InlSX2KF0e35QXxLAG-Dt-07T6ZxgR6vjt-XIGMKCX5QXIn6bBwjDcHLJiOQPzci8iUaFEY3doT4UAYQmePPd bcx1f5Xz7dz7kGBp7MuNQ4j2ayPx-pumrkDasEJSj-ONEBg=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

Delta Whisky
08-24-2020, 03:41 PM
Dustin - I just received the oil analysis report from my first oil change (25hr). For what it is worth my aluminum came in at 5, chrome 1, fe 22, cu 15, pb 1578, tin 0, moly 1, nickel 7, manganese 1, silver 2 potassium 4, boron 77, silicon 23, sodium 4, calcium 2628, magnesium 24, phosphorus 1764, zinc 1794, and barium 70. I'm running 100LL with decalin. Our engines are Rotax but that's were the similarity ends - 912uls on the front end here.

I too had plenty of aluminum specs in the oil filter media - more than I expected but about the same as what your picture shows. This Rotax experience is a first for me - anxious to see what the next one reveals.

Shadowrider
08-24-2020, 03:50 PM
Thanks! Here are my other numbers. I usually run 91, but I have ran a few tanks of Avgas.

Iron 24.5 Copper 9.1 Nickel 1.7 Chromium .6 Aluminum 66 Lead 521 Silicon 8.6 tin .1

Shadowrider
08-24-2020, 07:40 PM
Another note to G3X users. In phase 1 testing I did the "required" adsb test and passed. I printed the report and put it in my logbook. Fast forward and Cory is doing his phase 1. We request a report and it says failed. His aircraft is showing up fine on Flightaware, and flightradar24. When I flew at the same time as him, his adsb is reporting to my aircraft and everything looks normal. So we start digging into it. Apparently his rs232 port 3 from his transponder was off and it should of been selected adsb+gps. We wired both planes identical and I copied the config file from my plane to his. So I checked on my plane and rs232 port 3 was also showing off. So I requested another report on mine and the report came back failed on mine also. I turned port 3 back on(it used to be on) to adsb+gps and went flying. Requested another report for both our planes and both our planes passed. What I think happened is on one of the updates, this got selected off inadvertently. There is no indication in the cockpit and I would have not known I was failing. I had even recently been into Class B airspace and they did not indicate anything was amiss. So, not sure what it was not transmitting correctly, but it is now. So if you are running a G3X and you have not done a adsb report recently, you may want to making sure you are in "compliance" or make sure your adsb+gps is selected on, in your transponder.

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

Clark in AZ
08-25-2020, 06:47 AM
Great info Dustin, thanks for passing this along.

Clark

Shadowrider
08-26-2020, 09:02 PM
MORE AIR!

Out with the old, in with the new. Pretty sad cutting up a cowl that took so long to paint. Well.... I guess I know the painter and I will have him paint it again!
The summer months have revealed that I need more fresh air over the intercooler. Based on Corys flight test.....I am going to the larger naca on mine. I also decided if I am going to be cutting up the Naca to make it fit, I might as well open the naca up. Went from a 2" opening to almost 3". Then boxed in the intercooler like Cory did. Flight testing it tomorrow. If all goes well then I will pull the cowl off and repaint it.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cVE2uQhCqbFJYEWyz2WmSdhtyrTD1IZlLckHfTno7KsOk4aMv iY5HbUADgNFplH0JWlty_KH_01BDj5Vc-oPuZMCiAXp2qS3nTEPjdF6QfDwpzm8dqquKxw2vjbUeCoJS_Ah B0DqCtPntR-yBJq3qIkg=w1005-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3d92AmOi3voCtD3ffBoJkL8McKUzJwatlQwcoBxAq6qWrsz2it X5HTBxqN3-QXS2aInfhrKyKRjyF_PuTXnAcP_fHUxdopdEk_Rf-kDby1Eo_unuIShdJfvg4HWRApyrKPr2Mvg9co1o29fCysL_4TR fQ=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3eoE6kssO1OEmDYftQV8wwUI2Xa7m5scTv9iOpL2CL6gOguWwx li01B0KHoaaAqvHkKPPllZpcWGCn3xr3hQA1UQGuY04xab-uPonvhOep6b8pYASb3P3aOHjgTTOO09S9tnuSrkC8H-Yoxx2AMkRnVdQ=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fjrIMYiB8Doocji9uzjUStyz-86xDVnUKj5WoCJz3p2BQnrLfFjANudoLKZSPu90TxI0FVGyAK6 DE7AvmtwKq9Dh1teLIcTqqQdtegO9usCkBKByIRW0CFSgA4XCt NkSmKimw7oa6uWUTiVWkkdMk5Dg=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3eQthawMl0hA8ulyBwU1kqJRgjHV1IxM9VNvQL4z_LEurdVbF6 ath1loyftMhrE2xKo5LxguQUu6BmJma5lMcnwB4KGJnzVN5XZ-vI_-SAP0bLydmuZH3jy2SelgZ4l_m2C2xUo6Yu3lQ2ELayWs_ZUHg= w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3c8rPcl5IN1x9Ue36x-5VZYiwnYrFqOtpMBy3K4iFcMn3kPFBoQrVNXiUrkiI-UWsFqgSbPvvlxusJZX54y3S75uX_M5fTaeIESQvkdzOmnyO8xP zUcvlv5zGHUIJSalcFaIJpDosNW4Jyik4D0ko_w5Q=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

Shadowrider
08-29-2020, 02:10 PM
Close to 30F cooler intake temps!

Test flying went well. Larger Naca is defiantly the way to go. I would also suggest boxing in your intercooler. I used .025 aluminum and some baffling material. Took a couple hours to build. Cory and I went to the west desert and did some flying. I opened up my Naca to 3" but seems that did not offer noticeable difference. So, not sure that mod is worth the effort. With the cooler intake temps I saw a noticeable performance difference. Lowering the boost another point in the GPC table. So cowling is off back home to get it sanded down and painted. ARG!

Found a couple new places to land on some BLM land. I would have to say flying with another aircraft and doing off airport landings is pretty fun! Testing on Corys is going well and not many tweaks being done. He is sticking to runways until 40 hours so he did a couple fly-bys. He is just trying to get a better feel for the plane before taking it off airport. I have said it before, but the AOA is such a useful tool. Highly recommend it to any builders contemplating it. Really helps you land short, and helps when you are low and slow looking outside the plane. We are used to flying as a crew having a crew member say, "airspeed." Garmins audio for the AOA is so helpful IMO. Its like having a crew member calling speeds for you.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cgEzdhM_W4NaCBFUkbKHG1GfUkeGbVNVdM_r9uOI_yLKNugW6 Ze0CPwHIpfVgB2Bh7zLAXMsJbPoK6RwldAqSmxnAD34uQTvq0_ 03dwjq4nlx1VzP-pjdjlhk0zRNLkoII6VPhWgdNX-mYtj3sOgVkCA=w1637-h1030-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cVbOAIpd62_uJhaSn6xxwu9vVYDCh-Eo7DA_xHOtMUxi77CmE89M4TIyk7IHzTUDXeag0qIzYsF-UfJmKsYUTXxXHq_OZxvpqA0Cs-DgzefVwbiQh55vxxzMHe-w08PYOd-99t-fNP16QnaRdrrU69xA=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3e182WQfgxx8oBmLJdZBGSLE1zoYhp8KC_en9ROmm-_wblx8C0YEWzAB5hjQKPEMYBXPTcUdi9WDU8jzYdoiWQyT3z4i x5k-jIQRkWmnTONhB0rEDRxT0ZpvLdIEkCEoRKGrwh3JYZKruuAseE dbeAzpw=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

PapuaPilot
08-29-2020, 03:04 PM
Garmins audio for the AOA is so helpful IMO. Its like having a crew member calling speeds for you.

Totally agree. The Garmin AOA with aural annunciation is a great help for STOL approaches. I don't look at airspeed but fly the AOA's sound and aircraft's feel. You do need to get it calibrated properly.

Utah-Jay
08-29-2020, 03:16 PM
I love the idea of the Garmin calling out the AOA. Does anyone know if the Dynon HDX has this function?

Shadowrider
08-29-2020, 04:14 PM
Just to clarify it does not call out airspeed but gives you a beeps based on speed. Solid beep is when your wing is about to break. You can keep your eyes outside and just listen to the AOA. Landing short you want it beeping or you will be long. Trents videos you can hear it.

DesertFox4
08-29-2020, 07:35 PM
I think the back country just waved the white flag and surrendered.
Beautiful machines.

efwd
08-29-2020, 07:46 PM
Yeah those two have gorgeous planes and they get to fly in pairs whenever they want. You guys are going to have so much fun. I am so looking forward to when Fred and Todd get their planes done.

tdldedcd
08-29-2020, 09:03 PM
Those 2 planes are amazing. Can wait to live the adventures through you. Thx for all you've shared. It's extremely helpful to those of us just starting out! Eddie, I'm looking forward to it too.

jiott
08-29-2020, 09:15 PM
Yes, the Dynon Skyview AOA gives beeps, increasing in frequency until it goes solid sound just before stall. It has nothing to do with speed; it senses wing AOA.

Shadowrider
08-29-2020, 09:27 PM
Just to clarify it does not call out airspeed but gives you a beeps based on speed. Solid beep is when your wing is about to break. You can keep your eyes outside and just listen to the AOA. Landing short you want it beeping or you will be long. Trents videos you can hear it.

Double clarify......It gives you beeps based on AOA, which is effected by speed. :)

Shadowrider
09-05-2020, 07:23 AM
Cowl is painted. WOW, painting in not my favorite. To stressful! I can't sleep the night before because I know one little mess-up and I am spending hours sanding it down AGAIN! Decals are back on. Next week..... time for a trip to Idaho. Wish me luck!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3f_i5S7vKk_j7yCOheUwwhItTjCQNlV-K3yIl4CguXuo6slpryC7qM427rioP1Y8gg8jsYKMnvCfEks577 sI5n372U5Gi0lprO26LJv4RPJB_Q9cHd4UgUq0J4iUSr-QMXH34GRRwFuvNcBL7_Em0FoMA=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dUikpfIKbwlpTz9VdR5fN6PpeZy72yt4aXU87oQ4CqFyPjnXq JnkdPEJdfa2w7HtNofVg_itmJE9w4t1Gm9XRP3PrraY_Ih1Lp_ 6c4iSEBvmwbP3SO4AKkJV98QZ17sRxpK1Tb9SGpiO8TIv4leV5 wpQ=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3eGj8nd2W1r7o40S24uGWSXJvSiWwZVlpIU3UY6iSnAr3oLWNP e7H0GIP5fgmVY8kjzCiuprwuU5d2zFq7ail4BPLdJj-SJJ92BHVz13G68-dbY0hvVzdt_tuIouspYeaOK2TRsfZuWisImkCeazvEe3A=w137 4-h1030-no?authuser=0

DesertFox4
09-05-2020, 08:45 AM
Really incredible looking aircraft guys. It’s been exciting watching you both progress through two very intense builds. Bar-raising workmanship throughout. Looking forward to seeing them in person. I’m quite sure even hi-res photos can’t do justice.
No doubt they’ll both be in the 2021 Kitfox Aircraft Calendar.👍. Congrats and enjoy every flight.

3 tracks
09-05-2020, 09:15 AM
Great work you guys, thanks for posting.

Shadowrider
09-05-2020, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys it has been a journey for sure! Cory has 25 hours of the phase 1 done. Fortunately most of the brain damage was done on my plane so it’s going pretty smooth for him. I have a 130 hours and am feeling brave enough to take it to Idaho next week. Weather looks good. Headed to the back country mecca of Johnson Creek and surrounding areas. Tuesday to Saturday if anyone is interested in coming up, or down? TFR south for a fire that we will have to work around. Scott Nobel is the tour guide so bring your big boy pants!

Shadowrider
09-14-2020, 03:52 PM
Well I a made it to Johnson creek and back! Crossed a lot of inhospitable terrain to get there. Airmet for turbulence below 12,000 in Utah when I left so I went up to 12500' and found smooth air. Winds were out of the northeast at 40 and I was worried about being on the backside of the Oaker mountains so I went to 14500. Took my O2 with me and ended up just wearing it the entire trip up. When your groundspeed drops to 60, its painfull going so slow. Decide I would rather have smooth air and a headwind. Wind shifted to out of the east so groundspeed picked up. First leg I went to Burley for fuel. Then from Burley I went to Mccall. I ran into the dreaded fuel imbalance problem. Yes.... I am flying level. In fact, I tried to slip it to aid in the fuel transfer but did not help. I have tracked it to do something with the fuel cap. Switched caps and it followed. I stopped for fuel and one tank took 11 gallons and the other tank took 2. And that was after it was on the ground for a bit. I check the vent and it was not plugged. Made sure it felt like it was sealing. Met up with Scott and I followed him into Johnson Creek. It was amazing country, but man I was pretty nervous about losing and engine. Very few if any options of a place to put it. Pretty much have to accept the fact that if you lose your engine, hopefully you will survive but you will most likely lose your plane. Johnson Creek did not disappoint. By far the coolest airport I have been to. Camping was amazing sleeping by the river. So glad to get away from all the "Covid" campers. After getting camp setup we did a trip up to Krassel. (24k) Its awesome country. Woke up the next morning and oil level was low, oil was hiding in the engine somewhere, and the smoke had come in from nearby fire. Made me nervous so we decided to head to Mccall and check things. Let me tell you the Idaho back country is not for the faint of heart. You breakdown back there and it serious business. After Mccall, finding everything was okay, decided to head back home.

Here is a picture of my fuel imbalance. One sight gauge is completely full with no air in it. One is towards the bottom. It actually got worse to where I could not see any fuel in my left tank unless I turned. Didn't want to find out what happened when one tank went empty. Brandon has me trying a few things and I am also going to try a new gasket. On the way home it did it again. When I landed at Burley for fuel I took the gasket out and flipped it over and for the 2 hour flight home fuel balanced correctly. I am thinking the new gasket may resolve it? Lets just say I was glad to have it back in the hangar!

Anotber quick note for G3x users. I have been calibrating fuel flow by going into config page and changing value for the cube. Well I just learned you can go to fuel page on g3x and press menu and you can put in actual fuel burn compared to estimated and it will make the adjustment for you.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cQOyxJlCV0uM0ObBCvKT1FHnJPbT7K00SYrx4hHM1oZ7mQHDx mAS8AJMW7UwnNG5eCPxRx0uCgqGI83r7TgL4lGkVUG3M1xaig5 jl6AHQ0x2Rs0T2AJB_bT-6Y4LabautE06TnJ4fndPqc3dFCQL_zuw=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fuA1D6otnKxEDSEc8tSERYWD_XmEEV4oME5ntxPM0ogij16On pxSQjwYHiM03PMjser0-rffVHUU-mjDJ8DcZN6rhk2WKqVQRS4Ix-5S8_MT4-tv3ssO8CUOVFnR0E1oIS6mTj-7KcFFzBcsbG-YXz4w=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dAwt784xZjVGj7ew5hEJzfWpdbLRIsvUxBn8e7IzJ4vHSZ8-hIbz-WWQffcgdtukrNTemBRtd6kq-U85i0mw6A22jWiBhQ4ISyALjXqVXHKZ4c6biy-X0TIMkXY4ScsISa6mbKmCKonymrgEmRACeCDA=w1850-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cHna3U_FN16bGiimQNikBJcVJGz_bfL8iWWVBC2eg7_TvJ9Rs En194cPDGsrK-rXLZBaAgmYhBZDR1z8HbFKg-QDq1vIgkkMM9c1RVYg7FDv2XcNOSbafw7HmhZ89Cgjw6rYTxNW Jfnfuean7-VNJt0g=w1832-h1030-no?authuser=0

Clark in AZ
09-14-2020, 05:06 PM
Awesome! Looks like a lot of fun. Sounds like you figured out the imbalance problem. Let us know if the new gasket works.

Clark

DesertFox4
09-14-2020, 07:05 PM
Nice write up. Beautiful country. Seems like every time I go there the West is burning filling the air with smoke.

If you want the best fuel cap gaskets get these blue ones from a Mercedes dealer. Lifetime gaskets.
Been using these for 20 years in 3 different Kitfoxs. Nothing affects them. A little thicker than stock gaskets.
Still not sure what Mercedes uses them for. Don’t care.😉

Shadowrider
09-14-2020, 07:12 PM
Thanks Desertfox! I actually found and old thread that you had posted them and I pulled the part number and found them on Amazon. They are enroute and should be here next week. I will then test them out. Hoping they fix the issue. My theory is when my tank/gasket gets cold it stops sealing so the pressure from the other tank is pressurizing header tank and not allowing the other tank to flow into it. Both times it happened it was after I had been at altitude and it was below freezing. Since I was able to switch fuel caps and the exact opposite happened I am fairly confident its with the gasket seal. I will report back once I test fly them.

PapuaPilot
09-14-2020, 08:02 PM
Johnson Creek is a beautiful place. Good thing you did it last week, now the smoke and visibility is really bad and there is TFR for fire fighting just a mile south of JC.

airlina
09-15-2020, 02:56 AM
Dustin, the first long cross country is where that fuel imbalance issue surfaces , and I went thru the exact same issues as you years ago when I finished my Series 5 and started venturing further from home base. It is a bit disconcerting watching that fuel drain exclusively from one tank , and I used to slip to balance it but that wasn't very efficient. After a few flights like this I finally added fuel shutoff valves between the main and header tanks on both down lines. Problem solved . Added benefits are : maintenance isolation and ability to keep fuel from " peeing" out low tank vent when parked on sloping terrain and ramps. There a thread somewhere on the forum that addresses this issue. Bruce N199CL

Shadowrider
09-15-2020, 07:04 AM
Yeah we are glad we got in when we did because the wind shifted and it got pretty smokey. In fact my plane still smells like smoke, so I am going to go "air" it out today.

Thanks Bruce. I think I found your thread. I may go that route. For 120 hours it has balanced correctly and I have done multiple long cross countries and had no issues, so I am on the hunt to find what has changed.

jiott
09-15-2020, 11:51 AM
Get the good Mercedes fuel cap gaskets and then quit worrying about it. In nearly 900 hours I have never had the engine even hiccup even though the fuel level has disappeared from one sight gauge many times. I have never heard of anyone having an engine stoppage due to this issue as long as there was fuel in one tank. Don't you think Kitfox would have addressed this issue long ago if there was any possibility of a safety concern? Just my opinion FWIW.

I had a stupid experience 5 or 6 years ago when I stupidly left the gas cap off one side and went flying, with a passenger! The slipstream generated a negative pressure in that tank and sucked all the fuel out of the opposite tank into that tank where it was slowly being ejected out of that open cap. The engine never hiccupped and fortunately I noticed the abnormal reduction of fuel level and landed at a nearby airport. Could not find a new cap that fit so I refilled with fuel and made a temporary cap and vent with good old duct tape. Flew home and found the missing cap near the hangar. From this experience I am convinced that even a severely leaking fuel cap gasket will not cause engine stoppage until ALL the fuel is gone from both tanks, but you WILL notice a drastic fuel imbalance on the sight gauges.

Since this is perceived as a safety critical life-and-death matter, each of us must make our own decisions that we feel comfortable with. I am just relating my own thinking and experiences. I would not criticize those who choose to add the extra complexity of individual shut-off valves and then continually twiddle with them in flight; I admit they can be very handy doing maintenance on the fuel system.

Shadowrider
09-15-2020, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I will put the new gaskets on and give them a try and let you know.

efwd
09-15-2020, 02:22 PM
I have lost my fuel cap as well. I was just repositioning from one fuel supplier to another since the first had inoperative pumps. I noticed it missing when I arrived at the next pump on the other side of the airport. I always place my caps in the pilot seat from that point on. I have replaced my gaskets with the Mercedes ones as DF4 suggests. I continue to have some imbalance develop but I seem to be able to rectify it by slipping. I think I have one vent tube that is slightly out of alignment with the relative wind compared to the other. I no longer worry about it.

Shadowrider
09-15-2020, 03:11 PM
The STI wing is a little different animal IMO. 1/4 tank imbalance is normal, but venting fuel out one tank while the other is empty is not normal and does raise some concern. Especially when you have no airports in sight and no safe landing places. In my situation I think my engine will quit with one tank full and one empty. Don’t really want to find out. Slipping just makes it worse or does not help. Yes kitfox is aware and they have seen it before. I am hoping new gaskets takes care of it. Seemed to happens after sub zero flights and I think the gasket became more rigid and did not seal. Defiantly going to test it locally before venturing out more then 2 hour flight.

Shadowrider
09-21-2020, 02:58 PM
I ordered the mercedes gaskets and I think they are going to fix the problem of the fuel imbalance...fingers crossed. The rubber seems more pliable which I think will help when they get cold. Seems to be the same thinkness but I did not measure. Went flying today, but flight was not long enough to tell. I need to fill it full of fuel and go fly for at least an hour to be able to tell if its draining correctly. One of the airports I want to hit next time in Idaho is mile high. I have been practicing uphill landings to get ready. Today I tried to land a new direction of a place I have landed at before. Its a downhill angled landing and its was pretty challenging getting it on. Took 4 tries to get in on. Two low passes with go arounds and then I rolled it because I was fast. Fourth attempt it felt good so I dumped the flaps and got on the brakes. Not a lot of usable runway before it drops off, so getting stopped quick is key. I then tookoff down the hill and decided to practice landing uphill. Running power on uphill landings is key so you don't run out of airspeed.

Update on Cory's plane is we did an oil change as he has 50 hours on the engine. Mag plug was clean but still has aluminum in the filter. (It had some at 5 hours and 25 hours) Oil analysis is also showing high aluminum count also. Fortunately both engines, his and mine, are consistently the same, but does have us concerned. We are going to keep monitoring and see what we can find. I am 1 hour away from hitting 150 hours, and I will do and oil change and compare.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-select-84-03-models-Fuel/dp/B00GEFS070/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Mercedes+%28select+84-03+models%29+Fuel+Cap+SEAL&qid=1600725393&sr=8-2

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fwfvv6Yv1iQyUgwrly3C1oyd-44Gt6PhZGQZ7z2U8OMO6_os37--OpEwkdQ-jxCHPPk8D4DdjmLvN4EwnI-9vPNILEiqEqyJzE_egvezWMbAtulqKbMfkiagD8wF8me5XofEa W2tqy-NZZD7AWVpIDrg=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3d2XohnsMjSggegu0e59FwrdyY2AZ6WvU4nCBuzHtiUuvjn_aw 2t6_ka5gcG8-Oq6WLqbGgF12LbTmSMDykejelC7WQMzWkwIyooUMCyB4yot9Gl jzWmYLKAKe2TzWlCRrl3Zrt4nd4f_U_kT4ANzgl5A=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3eJZubd9ny6PCGCnQvDkvMJCXZPmeX95r-E3wvR-C3cpWV8_kZvnOjldQlUzgn7kevhPYy-pEKVxIkJgZKcS5-Dy5ss033l6tXvmggixcT5fcf1q0O3xHfhVqb4r2LPfl-p5WLMQa45s3ljNSuI7EKnLg=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

jrevens
09-21-2020, 09:32 PM
Wow, the price of those gaskets has really gone up. When I bought a couple of them from a local Mercedes dealer several years ago they were about $5.00 each. They are a little thicker than the ones that came with my kit.

Shadowrider
09-24-2020, 08:12 PM
I have not been out on a long flight yet to verify, but the gaskets seems to seal better. (Just going off the feel when putting the gas cap back on) They are not any thicker, but are bigger in diameter. The material is more pliable than the stock, which I think helps them to seal better. We are going to switch out both aircraft because IMO they are better.

John, you can probably can get them cheaper by going to the local dealer, but Amazon is much more convenient. Guessing that's why they are more.

Another G3X nugget I learned today. Those running vertical power here is some info for you. If you have your lights to wigwag, you can go to the vertical power page on the G3x and hit menu. From they you can selected steady or auto wigwag. May need to have 8.72 on the G3x. This may be helpful to some landing at night and not wanting wigwag on.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3eIggAtDPP93OTnDBWre4YfwHhaylErPLlKf6I5yXMFXTbh8y_ G1FA8ilcU7QnAXGI7cFMOgmJeFvpcgQPLG1rUczIxeJ_STqXhU fLNyLsLn_kDLJdFm2TV48Y1dMB8Pq95dvdAzzwBwtrvQJOpY9Q 2Og=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fh59HMGgTUFWUt_wNpOmUuFd_9OGlISvnUa0wC1VPLSMQxIw8 btAHJJqyb8YYhJhGkdhdUvxugn-QSaqGN6c0q7REAwrrJFNhC3F8rgxtbKAMt1HdbralB5dRcEeWY tPY0SjrhrfxqqjQqYiCeaq5aZg=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3ejLLDwwE-jhAuhaCrrE5jYK-aFKL3X15oFEbprZB3mSvytlhktmyC3E0ok7B0kfCbD47QAHTko mAKf1XeOIwD57zeOkIP2jWAQfjVZXSxfgzye17AoVGyqIsJGob AzGdOJ-gq0mzGfx0nykYYQKQfCFQ=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dvmFnGw2VrabS2eUuiikSIUEI0kbtso4IgCcq98FKyy0BdtQr FjNKrrXvPQSo8Q4md8-uglAGwVQ4XfStRM7Fn3GvLki2odvtSO_rHzUPpyM18D3kjJJH1 MQbQ6vFHfw5ZaLaBlcrFyF67dtVum4dMFQ=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

Shadowrider
09-27-2020, 08:18 PM
Went out for a flight this Saturday. Had a friend send me his Lat and Long at his camping spot via satellite messenger saying there was a landing spot available. Mission was for me and my oldest son to fly out and survey the area and possibly land. The friend had a handheld walkie-talkie and would radio once I flew over. I checked where he was at and it was BLM land. I decided to fly out early Saturday morning. When I take off, I turn the garmin to the engine parameter page to monitor parameters, then switch to full screen view once on my way. About 20 min into the flight I happen to glance down and I have a "Volt" annunciator. That got my attention and I switch to the engine page and I see my volts are down to 13 volts. (13 volts is where I have my yellow annunciation set.) I do not have audio turned on for the yellow warning, but do for the red, so I am not sure how long it has been there? I feel like it has not been on long, but plan on checking my data log to see. So my first thought was my VR just went out. Seems early that I only have 150hrs and it has already gone out. So I reach under the panel to my hidden switches and switch off the breaker switch for the edge 35 amp alternator input, and switch on the breaker switch for the stock rotax alternator input which runs through the stock rotax VR. Battery volts immediately jump to 13.2 then are climbing up to 13.3...13.4.... Then I decide if I continue the flight or return home. Normal current load is around 18 amps. Knowing the stock rotax alternator is around 18 amps, or that's what I seem to remember, I decide to reduce the load and I will monitor battery and will continue on the flight. I figure its early in the morning and I won't need the heat for the trip back and I shut off the lights and heater. Amp load drops to 11 and the battery is charging fine.

We make it to find where my friend is camping, survey the area and decide to land on the road leading into his camp. There was some fields close that looked doable but had some dead sage brush that I didn't want to risk damage from the sage brush. Made a landing on the road, but it was much more challenging than I thought because it was a down hill pretty good slope. We stopped in and said Hi right as they where making breakfast. Perfect timing! We took off, did a pass over the camp and then decided to head onto the dunes to check out how many where out this weekend. Then we returned home. Unfortunately the winds aloft had picked up already. They where not forecast until later, but looks like the front had arrived early. It got pretty bumpy on the trip back crossing the mountains and my son Cade got sick. Never lost his breakfast but was not feeling good. I bought some chew-able air sick pills that I gave him a half of one and 30 min after landing he was feeling good again.

Well, long story short is when I landed I was bummed the VR went out because we have a lakebed camping trip planned for the next weekend. I decided to call Stol Creek Aviation in Kansas and Mike picked up. He looked in his Edge performance parts and found a extra VR that he said he can overnight me on Monday. So I decided to pull mine off and get ready to install the new one. I went to pull off my EDGE VR (ducati VR has a different part number than rotax) I found a cooked connector and cooked wires. The best I can tell is the connector that came with the VR and alternator, allowed the spade connectors inside to back out slightly, creating heat and cooking the wire and connector. Got hot enough that it melted the wire which disconnected the power feed to the VR. Glad nothing else was damaged. Should of gone with my gut when I was wiring that I didn't like how that connector had some play in it when I wired it. Decided to fix the wire on the VR, and install a better connector and hopefully it didn't damage the alternator or the VR. After wiring it up I started it up and the edge alternator and VR where both good. YEAH! Shut down and check the wire temp and the wire was cool also. We are now going to change out Corys connector.

For some interesting stats from the Data log. When I took off the battery volts where 13.5. 3 min into the flight battery volt where at 14.1 (Fully charged battery) 8 min into the flight battery volts had dropped to 13.9 and going down (input to VR just failed) Almost 10 min later battery volts are down to 13.0 volts and I get a battery VOLTS annunciation which trigger me to look at engine page on garmin to see volts are at 13.0. (normal page volts are not displayed) Looks like it took me 50 seconds to notice the VOLT message and turn on the rotax alernator, so I am guessing VOLTS was not up to long before I noticed it. I am still going back to my setup and will turn on the Audio alert to make sure I don't miss that annunciator.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cZ6SuoXyzb0nxH6HAkW9Sa1Lk-_61171GnoBhWMXxQLj9kZtcy6S4cXOb42j15kiBtbL1r8urKIe IM23T__lxy2rRLt5Fn9P-v25q0NxYUUuAP3wAp-nX8ZNp0Sb03GaC0AbWHVmluuZ4ygzQ0sW6uWQ=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dE_YIvChIOCPy-TbQBnd8p6URwW-TXtXuNZ0csIB8Eb_LKO9CbV65lvyfCMnKEqZHUs5FF4HiJOXIm Q3OgkLCbB8VKytigSqab63pJDPV6_JuJhl44Ay-DS4Shuc38AXPNkY5tbI8aX9CXybCkj6a1mw=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fdUWpSRgYBf2vIwGnB8YWkd7jZCw8KY4cUi4crjlExm2uFAww hAzteGa8LnP50qVNcj0fBH2-LAfOqZ7SnXua0SCdQsla6nSvQ9wYSidWMIRXMhd1iqtmSzXer4 ayYD451Bq0BJEV9CRXVC_bJOWHFUA=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dlEPjE42FIHzRvqM_iI5Ev3q20IKGw-oEgQyTkTV2UBhyDjXAtrsQKHT9Et-U-U7X5brrYaTEW29uyqZ6-YdV2XLOTFavjv2pZGCJXmmATOM7OBcN1i0Uozu7nxBf6lmjjnm p7nVX_2wzuM5nEM1MdGA=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3f-5gDaZsSWgijk_u1slSnxGg5NvYuJYCVoxhUP2L4cwSpEYI3TOH H9mWOaBxE4w1u3OTgZudYUsxQ5tYfqXsZYcuQiP1fAg6DZxnf9 K-Jmq1Ymh2Zpd7MX6yc8qHchsFPjUYPZs5EIU5zNqw0bXXYTXg=w 1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

bbs428
09-28-2020, 06:23 AM
Interesting... Could have been a lot worse. Nice write up.

aviator79
09-28-2020, 06:47 AM
Those wires really cooked. Something must have shorted. Any chance vibration rubbed the wire insulation off?

Shadowrider
09-28-2020, 07:29 AM
Brian I think one wire in the connector was not completely seated or backed out inside the connector. The connector is a plastic connector that I remember having play in it. I think the high amp draw through a bottle neck connector generated a bunch of heat, that then melted the insulation off and the wires shorted. (just changed my oil and I wonder if one wire got pulled slightly out when checking things) Both spade connectors inside the plastic housing where touching each other. I think one connector got hot and melted the plastic connector and they touched. It cooked the wire completely through at the spade connector and the wire was severed.

My mistake was not realizing on a high amp draw wire, if you are going to have a connector make sure your connectors have no play in them. Also probably should of not assumed it was just a VR. Could of been worse for sure. Glad those wires where by themselves and not bundled with any other wires. I changed out to single wire bullet style connector with shrink wrap that has positive pressure and no play.

Dave S
09-28-2020, 07:31 AM
This kind of stuff is not normally due to a short; but, a high resistance point brought on by a poor crimp or inadequately sized component for the amperage or fractured wire strands.

Shadowrider
09-28-2020, 08:02 AM
Thanks Dave. Probably poor word choice by me, but I agree, I think the high resistance point was the connector not being fully seated and or poor quality connector.

Shadowrider
09-28-2020, 12:59 PM
IF you are running a edge performance alternator I would suggest checking your connector and change them out if you are running the older style. We have been talking with Thomas and they no loner use the supplied connectors that come with the VR. They are using a much better connector now. We checked Corys and he also has the old connector and it has also seen some heat. Lots of play in the connector. We are switching his out so we don't have and issue.

Went out flying in my plane today to check it. Put a big load on it and then landed and checked the wiring. Wiring was cool to the touch. :) Practiced a few takeoff and landings. Hard to get short landings when its bumpy.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cFLCJlSsJL2uokr29yGPNC63ZfdNaSDJM1be5Ww1hrE35LSwh bfAzlsSmD80I1opXG4rg8o3qpcdeB6zRaKUSQIdXvHyVenz2kb zKxLFbY5R56i7OulCKqMH7WfiDPTZ1pqIUuetndviTIEU8OYPu SRw=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

You can also see the connectors inside are not sitting flush. One is not connecting fully and that is the one that got too hot on mine.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3eSZohcol05XBqkH_ll8DhvJJdmS0kTXzdog6B5dIhzsdyOrwC Y-MMXEtix1XNqiIv2aTTijM93QmcrhzrfG_I0BFdJxHVWZg7Qsj3 6t8IFCdUwmhPyAfOh6SJzVzrPVO_JvrMsyn7oxhILocOt6GfXf A=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fs0Jv3oFdDRLGi_nikT3--cg1vtvcGj9l5j9Y2V3k6Coa1BULbj8QS61gcdng8ZVR0PsgYRL lhHvNK94rkWfu_qlC1Tr5csXpFENv79aqh7Y_tyrxfeeMHFzQS Ae8Ai7SKtcgaCfTpY0OUmf8g6Xy2Ng=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

Shadowrider
10-14-2020, 12:13 PM
Fall weather is here! Yesterday we flew to some back country airports. First time I took Cory and our friend Greg to Cedar Mountain. Greg flies a 172Xp with the 210HP conversion so I was confident he could get out of Cedar mountain. I went in first and checked the runway conditions and winds. Greg then came in and did great getting it in and stopped. Greg then jumped in with me, we left his plane, and we flew to Mexican mountain. (Trying to decide if he wants to attempt it) What an awesome area to fly. Kitfox is such a capable aircraft that you can fly into these places with ease. We then flew out of Mexican mountain back to Cedar Mountain to pickup his plane after spending some time at Mexican mountain. Cory is all finished up with his 40 hours of testing and we now have both planes insured. :) We have the tuning pretty spot on, on both aircraft, and they are both flying great. We have removed the O2 sensors on both and plugged them bung plug. (O2 is used for initial tuning) If we fly and are not able to run 91, then we can run avgas. It doesn't take long before avgas will ruin the O2 sensor.

Edge Performance engines are both running strong! Here is quick clip of Cory taking off as we head south.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3e49vNsGs062mMlBmv5ZP0enKKhubS-ig6pUa0-KPOcBE-k7WYgPz34lp83XOIvXE9H2v_ECOnE7XwwUHPAcvJEKp8gLqCf-zF167eGpd8BCdy-QaAJgVqNP0nDCruPZL9JgYkpalUrkMo39NRXgNTxVw=w1334-h750-no?authuser=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbah2XKaB2w

efwd
10-14-2020, 12:53 PM
Holy Crap. Im jealous.
I will counter your 7500' with my flight 70' below sea level yesterday.:cool:

Shadowrider
10-15-2020, 07:02 AM
Couple more photos and video clips my friend gave to me. Cory got a drone and we have a gopro. Now just to learn how to use them!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fSIyQThcxciTm3r4xXAsvRbrALjuJYx6fCrlAKaDqoM-obfokzL0pf_Q43Eup54IFIP4xMU9KrPAriz2jVTtlHaRZeMjob IOJ8ifHUmCzXBQ9XyoUjoOgnkDZlKlHpZHoqPZACHGF2c27RX7 TAF-6xZw=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cNXE-bGfYKg5cJ-Un-bk2Pn5zuAL3ilxO9L4v59SmvKJl5ZXTyhy-8KvsfLW3fCkxN3WsTN-XR0nyWDD-QfLcOFPeBV8HHjaaVEOPXUypPKfyYACEl6WSJkPQp11nbt2_wA 90-GI_B6ngQgMGTPvc-mQ=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qvIw1Q_Mks

Kitfox Pilot
10-15-2020, 11:28 AM
Very nice, keep the good times coming!

Shadowrider
10-18-2020, 03:56 PM
The kiddos have been off for fall break and wanted to go flying. Went to the airport to fuel the plane and pre-flight it. I found my exhaust bracket broken. I have about 60 hours since I changed the exhaust routing out the back of the cowl. Fortunately I recently purchased a tig welder so I took it home to weld it up. I have been practicing welding Aluminum with the hopes of building a better intercooler. (After I learn how to draw it up in solidworks) I have not practiced stainless that much, so I cut some stainless bar and practicing welding for about an hour. After I felt like I could weld it up I decided to give it a try! Not my best work but better than my worst. :)

I decided to add a reinforcement piece to help with possible side loads. When I reinstalled it, based on where it was before, I realized I had it under some tension by tightening it to tight against the stop.

This TIG welding is harder than it looks. I have almost gone through a tank of argon, and this is my best aluminum weld so far. Fun stuff learning a new skill though.

Next day, thanks to have the welder handy, we went out flying for a couple hours. Rusty, my son wanted to take guns and go shooting and flying. Giddy UP!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3eWZV7T4M6AhjqTBWSDWnW7ahBgHeaf7NncjYoBMsFHX-rHJkZ4VcQnDgSC3c1XNc1klWCuvX8iAmk9ejQv5dK92056D5ZM qa6fIlxHoCmYtpE1V81Mm9Dg8K0TIWB9FQ5mtMCgVePUSmOb7-lkPzhPYw=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3eWCVY_-ug5tuO6IDYJv8qn5S0hlgn8XzOg5VGUZo1N-FCEDb-yt6zDtlhmp0DY5gXiNSB9t_FqXYEhTkNTOJFYU28HYB0Rj_K6-3lX60Cyl6HKr8qjjWl8AHfy2_n-sgiPRtykNVAYg3iIf5Ll-rmGog=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3e8a2-DCus8VEOjfydD1FcmOE-pJUggI2FwFrIEAIEuujq1v4hbDs6MqIPAdUm8cPXYkwhpi0bvK 6odBys3Braw2B_NrMCY-s-xKOSFnTiPlq2B2xiSt7E8KRapPZi5HFp0UlPZjVTWHlZMHDhS_ KXFQA=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

Shadowrider
11-09-2020, 08:42 PM
New high flow oil pump going in from Edge Performance. Thanks Thomas for always innovating. If testing goes well, I am going to work on a plan to take the STI up into the flight levels. :) Also, the other good news is I think the stock pump is where the aluminum was coming from in my oil analysis. Changed the oil and filter. After I get a few hours I will be sending off oil to see if the aluminum count is down.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fkbST0vCFpbEaWK1gUFIpIhAZ9xG-IiiRhX_0rqzgAEy_eFRyx7UkVBFW2695J2mtPQsNwoKgOznLGj d8lJxU5soLTOh-da59VC-6V6buifG9zRt9YGEr6MBs_otgzBpG8Ikxsb5Q_9xm54LIiG06S 6Q=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

Shadowrider
11-11-2020, 04:25 PM
Working on getting the new oil pumps installed, we discovered that our oil to water heat ex-changer is greatly reducing flow. In fact with the new oil pump, the oil pressure was actually worse because I think the pump was having cavitation issues. We have the heat ex-changer on the suction side. Thomas was worried if we put it on the pressure side we would build up to much crank pressure and then we would run into oil consumption issues. We bypassed the heat ex-changer and oil pressure went up significantly. We are now working on removing the heat ex-changers. Right now I completely have the oil cooler covered and struggle to get to 180F so I think we have excess cooling to work with. We will be doing more testing and post the results, but looks like the heat ex-changers greatly reduce oil pressure.

3 tracks
11-12-2020, 08:33 AM
Interesting, what kind of oil pressure where you seing before and after the removing the heat exchanger? You could try a oil thermostat, they work . I have one you can try, let me know.

Shadowrider
11-16-2020, 11:27 AM
Oil pressure was 40-50. Thomas wants to see 60-70. Mostly for when you go high the oil pressure has plenty of pressure. We saw a 15psi jump in oil pressure when the heat exchanger was bypassed.

Shadowrider
11-29-2020, 08:58 PM
We tried to go to Mineral Canyon, located in Southern Utah, but the clouds got in the way. Southwestern Utah look good so we went to IBEX lakebed instead. 2 STI's and a friends 172XP. We encountered some clouds so we climbed up above the clouds. Dont worry left side was cloudy and right side of aircraft was clear. He is much faster so he went ahead and radioed back saying there was snow on the "dry" lake bed. He said "I will wait for you big tire guys to check it out and let me know if I am good to land." Had fun for a couple hours and then headed back home! Turns out when the sun comes out and melts the snow, the dry lake bet is not dry anymore. Top layer got muddy, so I went to the shore of the lakebed. 30 min later and all the mud dried out.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fa0yKmhjiAXvirdsZXNwmtMdiLcNXpNkBPabjtI_hTTLa3rFO ppFlO4PACB87A7YnKyUXhN_hqTXwb7BK4VogYt3t7E7aXxI32J SzyM0qwSrtRfhA2FvMBapfl-LyITE4u21tGsRXpKwqo3dTeLyPEqg=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3c_76vyOqyPNvcaptFco0v5UO4-9torZMg0NiEYZY_zuoMAPnOwGrSR6_SAgx17NnVrRUMViiLz6q Qkf1WihP6DuKyaXqKFv5b5iGPkTnLA2iW5CdnX79mOKkfpUQjk B8VLQc5swqe4a4H_ErjCeMu1vw=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fKSvqFQMbgA4XXg4ewRelUGACNdICDOT3QULBfeqmlwa5lsQI Y_sCNnSa2JqmO5PnDIhAp69tS-5raIZr2adL9jBfe_uV1GYaou8KRT35zn9bej9-9E7OQXDRWWvoQ3eTZsl5OAaUvUUjE3VDbhkdzWQ=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cVrJh2nCUG9wAgs6bOtxBK290O7ybtzQjeqrzzxzVt0vxX0JB SM3cKvceD0qZPjwySUFISDiIyfUnso6akqs__kRfASZ8TisyAX 34t9dTYAa8dP7KLYCs5-xByLneBEolRMucXn4rWkQovhW38DpxQHQ=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3d-VCwlKnWIBzV0ckBwFMOvvvJfvVtw-sDs5GEq5Xw--TVASJuCa3MrmFejCm5aC0dSm_U_lFFXInarqW2u-H2WWts5Pf4p-_-GIjsInGrcmbp9-BW0JYUh1YE3dVdZzM3lYiCAgj7eE_KjPiEyTEWCeQ=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

DesertFox4
11-29-2020, 10:47 PM
Beautiful photos Dustin. Post card quality. Fun day.

jrevens
11-29-2020, 10:52 PM
Those really are beautiful! Just great!

Clark in AZ
11-30-2020, 07:52 AM
Excellent! How beautiful. Thanks for posting Dustin!

Clark

efwd
11-30-2020, 08:24 AM
I guess that's the only "ghost" image on the ground were going to see this year. Airventure 2021 is the next we hope. Very nice Dustin, Thanks.

Freedom2
12-07-2020, 08:27 AM
Dustin, I tried to message you but your folder is full. I have a few questions regards to your EP912sti could I possibly email you or talk? my email; haypartington@gmail.com

Robin

Shadowrider
12-07-2020, 03:37 PM
Fixed. Sent you an email.

Shadowrider
01-08-2021, 09:01 AM
Couple flying photos. First one is on new years day, providing air support for the ground vehicles hunting coyotes. My brother has an old jeep that he bushwack's in and I was helping him by spotting. Low ceilings and low visibility made it interesting. Hard to spot without much snow on the ground. Flying around for 3 hours at low power settings and I still landed with 15 gallons.

Next group of photos is finding a landing spot on a ridge. Can't tell from the photos, but its fairly steep. (at least for me as a novice) Steep enough that it would roll backwards without the brakes. I learned that when turning around on a ridge, turn into the wind and be careful, bush wheels have no traction. It started to slide of the side, which made me pretty nervous.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3c3hPukq4eEcxAoEKu6-t9e_CAAbCXXuQiYqMALLUkLCB44FMeQUxf7IFYr-896Mjfa0qzaQXSNoKD48QqaWM0FR8OdPVKq5Ci3L_g1SSzmXsq HC8zbpz2_nJyJBOMIZw-kSu6gmhNhteQ5I_9K09hfkg=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3edpitDzd5hGt0PVvPTYILPKocOduRNP9Qv2YH2wr9TBlULse3 Y6p10fU59ABqS8t-bUl0k0jfqt9c5XnuCylPfWW-c8phJF9z3Of4bckphkSkvKFkXKjj0tWtJEr9cuDbTAcnrxPOBl j29xzKntXc-fA=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3flnn7C0BoG11miCx-1CMryfIofMs-U7bx-LEwU14mPEr0t6s0f8k0mypq8I7FIC470FZWHEmsvnpjP3HjlkQ mXYJ7kWNMYtWpY55hSXJfxLgG9QnXdcHzEimJJ9HSMXkhAFlRP wtnRHq5qJOauXkXGwA=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

bbs428
01-08-2021, 10:00 AM
Living the dream Dustin. Nice photo's! :D

Eric Page
01-08-2021, 03:32 PM
I really enjoy all your flying photos, Dustin. They're great motivation, so keep 'em coming!

Shadowrider
01-19-2021, 09:05 AM
I got the shutter built! Found a local guy who has a water jet. Pretty cool machine. It is accurate to .003" I had him cut the holes for the dowl pin and the pins pressed right in just like they where meant to. I know I didn't come up with the design, but still fun to draw it up and have it all come together. I did some testing and figured I needed to increase the size of the shutter by about 30%. I wanted it big enough to keep things warm in the winter and small enough that I still have plenty of cooling in the summer. I got it installed, using velcro and a piece of angle I bent. Went to test fly it and I saw close to 200 on oil in the climb with it closed, (it was a warmer day of 45f) and then opened the shutter and oil temps dropped rapidly to 160F.

Shadowrider
01-24-2021, 02:39 PM
Getting ready to go to mineral canyon and I was inspecting things and found a crack in my radiator mount. As I started looking closer I discovered that the mounting bracket was not complete welded. For some reason they never ran a bead across the top of the bracket and it has been flexing which caused it to break. Fortunately I have been practicing tig welding aluminum and felt like I could weld this up safely. Its one thing to run a bead on some practice pieces, but when it really counts I got fairly nervous. Really didn't want to a burn a hole! Interested thing is both of our radiators where welded this same way, not welding around the perimeter of the mount on this side. The other side of my radiator was welded top and bottom of the mounting bracket. Tried to figure out if there is a reason, but just guessing it just got missed? Decided with the added stress having my exhaust secured to the mounting bracket I wanted to stiffen it up some. Welded a gusset on the inside to help transfer some of the loads. I would of just ran a bead, but the gap was too big for my liking and aluminum is really hard to fill gaps. Maybe someone with more experience could but I didn't want to risk it.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3c2yj7NHmK_xmOPxqjOFL1RVajb12019hr7RvlaKMUD42tJW4u UrBTxpoylSEa-a9yVCgin5EGrYGLVKS1ALc2r8yMlY9iQ9KETDMusfKm8BqO8wh VPCGB-CuOhHn4yu2w4dJ5VZ47XOSPHD1VnOYbi1g=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cW83wmXSgo92L8lhRwlqvWJFwimebtpN-vrbEzjGdX5sn_O7PNOY97y6j_jG32tLI084oxq_7CyvEXJBj8B AfMPb_JGeg08n524_BSrG_adn3wWhWHxVf888mr4Y1aRvIES4n YSPfFQ3imhceMVkCMZQ=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

After welding up the radiator, I got my shutter installed and went for a test flight. No leaks and everything seems to be running good so we planned to head to mineral canyon. My younger brother was going to come with me and a friend was going to bring his 172. Morning of the weather looked like we would have another cloud layer to deal with. Forcast winds aloft where forcast to be around 15mph. When I got to the airport the standing lenticular had me a little nervous. Flight ended up being smooth! We decided to go down at 11500' to clear the mountains and take advantage of the tail wind. Funny how 125 mph feels fast! I checked the night before and most of the land around mineral canyon is BLM including most of the green river. We flew over the river looking for a good sand bar to land on. The are tons of them on the green river! We landed at mineral canyon and decided to go check out the old mine right by the airport. Pretty cool. We went clear back into the mine, far enough that it was getting hard to remember what turns we took and far enough that the air felt like it was pretty stale. After that I decided to fly up the river and land on a sand bar and drop my brother off. Went back to mineral and picked up my friend to take him to the sand bar. Bucket list checked off landing on a sand bar. Decided I am going to come back in the spring and camp!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fkRomm210r-JpQnH_BT3IJG9tKuM4NuLhTw7pH10WrZfgYJMGsMTS3Gskjt1K ECcQbckPwQsmKbBrpP6-A3VPZQ2kXM0oD5GPnWQVFmMQxn4c8ebfX4284Oa86C8VfCjT6h N3bGfDGIVMn1ja0_5f1DQ=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cp0obVpDsnSH-RhtKHc9c6r5sqWC6r_IhAFcYevaMtX8xXPfu6noALhqNPy2Apa 6jlOvwnAo03OEUg1knnJVV7FVgZ0mgDUJgWiyjEDfQT9Uf-HjE2xItMH6EZC3MTYBc9v0PmMFeFIWJqQwni8D7XXg=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3e3eXFHU9G6yVIUH5HxVGMzs2hMh3YYIE7-dRzusZBZy_UkL-EeWacXTXj3FsYrWBxgKhFix0p9gp1Zftv3vIQa9HaZhnJGeQ_f FEP58wnpRrdJATsh1BT0sS63DS5_qhZdeblwIw7MOWHL6Ow14P cAZQ=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3ft-DfxECWM6tqpw_a_FirkzDKK01wEijloq8KNUlmMx5o3q-Lg6KZWbV3faNVuBKzBO-rX6p4Ap5_XTXE040pz2wGU6GVR5jsPdDNIliOtNOmdcK47JgrX IUnqfasa9P8eKDy4A3crPkookUfJwS9rQw=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3eLUgtN90VozZdGXNBR1buAauZ6OLa0UpGYzZ33TC8sVGqqY8Z K-C39SrDFnczuFt0P-UK2TRCqal20s-oq00_hL659qV-MEgoxT_bvs4as3l8vcidc8QH2F8ABGMG-EEWKYQlJd7bn0IUSVAjknMp6qA=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dHskl_2nMNF-nCZecHJXpgS4hjqzf7R9M7sA0vXTe_gv65t4veaiorRLUkw-reUTiRbJnW596Sdms-ZN0HnH_KH3DWsJv7eQN2sHewdJyW8kbNa5XulatNHdPj5gj_Ob LLhlooHrTKQI-caR1fgi5hXA=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fSSxKcIv53CfBjPqeCJBkqSBXnfLz4DTWhiBa30Q8gq5yglPo wYsAAAVJuCaIc4io2OHWBvYB80La-IfkviMWLIj5qkP7KLyY9lLQTiAFKrkbt31-PdQoOa42RdnwnAuaW4pbKGTsu1Bxa7EubNgBTeQ=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fPzzZKV-1LoFAUElZEPfDtbyS9ZA-uZhFNhymPI2dEByOq3NpdnWooqjtpzFZsm1o8Pvq-sjXGVF7vikRGNzvWZDqF-lQutnb7CpORjnO2lDpY0DpTFR8Pwz8NG0g14ZBsEVd4-9N5nvVV3kaz-Fonlw=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

jrevens
01-24-2021, 07:32 PM
Nice!! Must have been a lot of fun! Good job on the welding also, Dustin... hope that fixes it for good. Do you have a MIG or TIG machine? What kind of wire (or rod)? I usually use 5356 rod when welding aluminum with my old Lincoln TIG 250 IDEALARC.

Shadowrider
01-24-2021, 08:16 PM
I have a mig lincoln with a spool gun from years ago, but I recently decided to try the everlast 255ext tig and have been very impressed with it. I have been using 4043 rod. The radiator had a lot of oxide which made it very challenging to weld. Definitely should of cleaned it better. In fact its probably why originally my radiator leaked. When it was built they didn't get the best cleaning action so I have a very porous weld on one side that will weep radiator fluid when hot.

3 tracks
01-25-2021, 08:46 AM
Good catch and Fix, always something to fix aye. You should get in touch with Jason Gray and have him send pics of the way he stabilized his exhaust pipe. It attached to the firewall , looked very secure.

jiott
01-25-2021, 10:50 AM
Just my opinion, but I don't think its a good idea to attach something like an exhaust that moves and vibrates with the engine and has large heating/cooling expansion/contraction to something as fragile as a radiator that is fixed to the airframe.

Shadowrider
01-25-2021, 03:23 PM
Its rubber mounted to dampen and allow movement. If the bracket was welded correctly I don't think I would have had a problem. In fact without the exhaust attached, I think it would have still broken. With the exhaust removed, when I was removing the radiator to weld, there was alot of lateral force on this mount. The other mount was pulling pretty hard against this mount.

Shadowrider
02-26-2021, 10:24 AM
I am BACK! Had to go to Dallas for training on a new aircraft and have been gone for a month! I ran my fuel down low and then added some avgas to the tanks for safe keeping as I was gone. I have been working on designing new doors handles. We tried buying the machined AL ones that allow your door to be popped open but with the stainless piece and the stop it would not fit. Originally when I bought the door handles I did I thought they would allow you to pop the door like the old trim windows in a vehicle. They didn't work. So with EAA giving you a access to solid works I decided to try and learn solidworks. Its been fun learning and seeing parts come to life. I tried to put a logo on the handle but it was not large enough that they told me it would not print. So I changed it and decided to put my tail number and Turbo on the handle for fun. I went out and test flew yesterday with a new door handle and they work great! Little cold but will be nice in warmer temps. I need to make one final tweak to keep the handles from rotating to far when closing but they work great!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dffb83xHX_PbYZwYxm8Pu2bWIvMK0sJXFBIfO9WLBIT-bswDvOaJsHKpd-9_e7L6BhjpQ9ITkBIAatvSTCJmRJD4TuwiXF6x4tuSP85PgLE_ 7ZwPwg7aFcNxGEDtKELVeQcNZyWTOcV3UKkwrTJgmlTw=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cDDwrvz5HUmMdJqFtfTmqueOpqVmRdJx6-Vy_EVQrnoM2kSKE9gjuiH77cttQ76fsSZfTWPGxjZNxsJjI8Ew 1oOs-_zmhi-qunYxSecG9AYL3BGPx_U9p5yQRUbufhzScNYl7uAnoKLLvg3wj StXKJwQ=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dqLnuxGnD6Dqf2yhKpd1wTcV3vZSB7p8wCoXAOMPIHjuWBC5d Bq9dtbzh9OVwtZR5qoS73G1zR8RbC_EoTUtovxGg5euMUapdym R8ic80mfiV3ugs7080_IobV19mtq472h-n1pQVCbxQovYrAwdC7ig=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

DesertFox4
02-26-2021, 12:25 PM
They look a lot like the ones Murle Williams Aviation has been selling since the late ‘90’s. His are from Ford and were used on pickup truck wing windows if I recall. I installed them on my model 4 back in 2003 and on my new 7SS. Work great. Nice job. 👍 Yours have the extra section that allows for “venting” the door where as mine needed to have a slot cut into them to allow the striker plate to hold the door in the vent position.
You’ll like them. In the vent position they do a great job of bringing cool air into the cockpit during hot days.

Shadowrider
02-26-2021, 02:37 PM
Yes I bought one from him but could never figure out a good way to allow it to pop open, so I decided to take a stab at solid works. I have learned a bunch and it was pretty fun to do! It was printed with great detail and they are very strong. Got me thinking about the possibilities!

DesertFox4
02-26-2021, 06:19 PM
We just cut a thin slot along the bottom of the handle that captured the striker plate and locked the door open about a half inch or so. Yours looks easier to locate than “ hunting” for that thin slot in the bottom of the handle.

desertdave
02-26-2021, 06:42 PM
Here is the thin slot method:

Shadowrider
02-26-2021, 07:19 PM
Oh nice! I thought of doing that but it did not seem like it would open enough to get some air in. Oh well!

fathom
02-28-2021, 08:51 PM
Yes I bought one from him but could never figure out a good way to allow it to pop open, so I decided to take a stab at solid works. I have learned a bunch and it was pretty fun to do! It was printed with great detail and they are very strong. Got me thinking about the possibilities!

What printing service did you use and what material did you have it printed in?

Shadowrider
03-01-2021, 08:11 AM
I used Shapeways. Multi jet fusion printed in pa-12 with glass beads for strength. They are strong. Tried breaking and couldn’t. I drilled and tapped and material felt solid.

Shadowrider
03-01-2021, 09:19 PM
Its good to get back out flying! Went searching for new landing spots. Found a new spot on top of a ridge. It looked pretty lumpy, but it was not bad. So fun to land in new spots with no one around for miles!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3eCaFbLteJ3Cwz_4jiCN9bqB98sIV40Z2X9kuhdUAMDAnh--M_CYZC3Xt4s7mSarsRmo-rfk-HojYKlEb-fSh9wt9T4IT45XD013TdLgRujN5yvV-RzCubS58AOieop8YJmHypyIDTgbTYfiLBtwXTTKw=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

Kitfox Pilot
03-02-2021, 07:09 AM
You sure have some nice places to fly and we enjoy seeing them.

Shadowrider
03-13-2021, 01:20 PM
Weather has not been the best, so no off-airport landings lately. Decided to start early on the condition inspection. Leak-down looking good. 79, 79, 78, 78. (Over 80) Oil filter is looking good and I have sent off oil samples. Hopefully the AL count is come down also. I had high AL count due to a defect in manufacturing of the oil pump. Gear box seams to be holding up to the extra HP.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3f1TcKNSUwObQ523E_oLIJhs495Qzxp2OPxZDpyCkTNQHQ9Xaa EfgSRzJbV1_Gz1Gfu1w9tUXdu6TaAbDM7bLuw-vSIpg1gA_t2B5abwSNFPUeGW-m1e4NYE8kl5dCb5fy1TLeoPzUtRjRVsTKOrf4lHQ=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

yocum137
03-15-2021, 09:03 AM
Excuse the dumb question, but does the gearbox and engine share the same oil system? I guess I'm really asking if you have to send in 2 oil samples to AvLab (or whoever).

Shadowrider
03-15-2021, 09:24 AM
No worries! Yes they share the same oil. Oil sample "should" show if you have something going on in the gear box also. The mag plug (magnetic plug) comes out of the gearbox so it will be apparent if the gear box is making metal right away because its a magnet. So you only need to send in one oil sample. Interesting note. One sample Corys was showing high Silcone in the sample. I then did a trip to Idaho and lots of smoke in the air. Guess what my Silcone reading was high on my next sample. So samples are pretty sensitive!

Shadowrider
04-12-2021, 08:42 PM
Condition inspection completed and ready to get out and do some more flying! It has been a windy spring so far, but hoping to have a good streak of weather coming up. Got out and tested the new door handles and they are keeping me cool! Raced my shadow for a bit. Always a good day when you go flying!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dBiLqpwf6rX_m3ZyruOb6IeIr659qy8iWZSzbw-cNTpt047vBBAywQDVW9V683g6ibB7JJflbaoTKjpdxU0aAFA2b 5MaugOkK6zuW0p0zuutYFg9YNiuWE0MLBVpHCo5MTGwXY50xml pHUlhtA8qfkSg=w773-h1030-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cmrAO8Z6Bfzewrt1lwDKPfznUEf6A9XkZ9uP2jAWyimoYLahG olNTdOanDzp6djnb8SYBhGY4bUCvV-KPeTnTulMKelym5dMTEY7Jyqphb8HYdlmBEMJWFULsAbPR-QaXCpNkqD4Ch87EIMK26zIoErw=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

Shadowrider
05-05-2021, 07:56 AM
I have been looking at this spot for some time now. Its just under 9000' and it suffers from morning canyon winds. The other morning conditions where just right. I have to approach up a canyon, so its up there on the risk scale. I start high and orbit over-top checking winds. Then I made an approach down the canyon leaving myself and out before I committed. It was an uphill landing, so landing roll was short. Takeoff downhill was less than landing. I always want to stay longer when landing at off airport spots, but I am always nervous in getting out before conditions change. Fun stuff!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cdu6cFBItmpfnbdH0DNPEzC6GeXBzFF420y0rqYVOj_CbY91j qQMTEXgHNEv6xF-TPWUOYNGWdUlHetLI8ZY4Mt1Xe6qA_NyNICmF3oYjxQhEHYihU EyJ_jw_vITZjc5Hnk7y5duxbZK3meqwPkpqVbQ=w1374-h1030-no?authuser=0

Eric Page
05-05-2021, 08:27 AM
Fantastic picture! It's great to see that you're having so much fun with that beautiful airplane, and doing it safely.

yocum137
05-05-2021, 08:32 AM
Dude! Wow! Where's the "like" button?! ;)

efwd
05-05-2021, 03:39 PM
That's Cool Dustin! Nice Pic.

jrevens
05-05-2021, 07:01 PM
Love it! That's a great picture Dustin!

Jcard
05-06-2021, 04:28 AM
Looks like a chunky spot, and high too.

Shadowrider
05-07-2021, 06:27 AM
So the ACK gremlin strikes another ELT! Cory shows up to the hangar and one of our ELTS is going off. Not sure how long, but he hurried and called and they said they had not received a hit yet? I am thinking because of the large steel structure they where not able to pickup the elt. Unhooked the remote and turned off the elt. Now we don't trust leaving it armed?

JoeRuscito
05-07-2021, 07:14 AM
Dustin, I had lots of issues with my ACK ELT with the antenna mounted in the stock SS7 location. A point of note, my ads-b antenna is mounted just below on the plate behind the co-pilot. I was having all kinds of random false activations until I moved my ELT antenna. It is now mounted as far back in the tail as I could get it with the cable it came with. I haven't had any issues in months. I would have prefered to move the ADS-b antenna but that was more difficult. Strange yours happened with nothing else powered on, but I figured Id share another data point.

Shadowrider
05-08-2021, 06:56 AM
Thanks Joe. Some good info. Yeah our transponder/adsb antennas are clear back by the tailwheel a recommendation made to us by Nikk. Aircraft was just sitting in the hangar so must of been some weird electrical static that triggered it somehow? Hopefully doesn’t keep doing this as either aircraft has had an issues.

Shadowrider
06-10-2021, 11:14 AM
Quick flight update. Early morning flight to head to backcountry of Utah before the high forecast winds set in. Got up at 4am to depart by 5am. Early morning departures have to be my favorite. Plan was to fly down to Huntinging and meet up with 5 other planes and head south for the day. Looked like weather was only going to allow flying for one day so we made the most of it. I flew from Provo to Huntington to meet up with Scott then we went Cedar Mountain, Mexican Mountain, Hidden Splendor, Dirty Devil, Happy Canyon, Green river bank, Sand Bar, Mineral Basin, Moab. I took fuel in Moab and flew back to Provo. It was awesome flying and was smooth for the entire day until the trip home. I had been watching the buildups starting on the Wasatch front and new crossing back over them back home was not going to be fun. It was bumpy and I am not a fan over afternoon flying!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3c4JxlmwDD_1KODNqMTa8bIaL5supG_fGMut1nS5_Ar0Bc_odU kOtcT3YFDhRH7RcFqE_JNjxxxl0yLiL4qZQaGYJPCVlkNp7o_B rijwCHuGKuTy7YhEkdU82t2J4w-aosGssvQAbULjWH2ig9ibsKazw=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3d18qZ4FpApx7hRSKRGSXbbYQ31diWU5QJbgqQe5SkiD21DFSY 1woS-UDb54-ofakUvXR2fF2gw-hdCFjPv7UoKXyoZvlQ84XfQ3r0OTLLYSaS7AAWrrQsIy5J84f5 6mp3gXwPKytKUSdvmY9sTrq4bOg=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dy8s_-5qMlz4j7H0IAtZyDHCcc5UQD9aOaVlMfErOmzUC6_wETGZ1Gf8 8FoWIArnhBZgtkKtXACnRUmqF1Bchat5uJG8zyi5QPvsK2rhFp KWfqkgQ4JqwFtRaah7ZfUXsn1PKx-mXirjBaIYB58zF0gA=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cKllr6j7TByjCYkT3akcqNN6FfUbtgg8YO7i_YkX2UqvgnIuv 8X-NBgrHiULvXUBJuMXpbNRgCV6cW8BzUpC22GS6_-n9ztyoTonKpar2U7GgAN6vaOUscaFnqCWfvqNkCQjeNuX6Mhz2 MOTZPS1GFmQ=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3eyfHogoVbGnqcrbtXsm4Lx4glEK9wxG3OciWK-6yRui4f_TP7-1o8WUz5bVVqQ3XRx-R0554cCifSM_8teuozDkvlthrSyYRiEhFwMgRzeZpD-UKpTNXCQIjtoNaumZ2Z19GHtysTrOci6nhT2wZ676g=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fqkO6xwG_2Zd7B0306S69R6p_eA8-vLU0rJKKdM_lu-_aaK0jHkgn_z4iS7McFwHkyMEHESEw6ecI4SP5M7Hrk1WRJ2jJ k7tx3X5H7RrM0CFZoZ-y-1MWjM7wJ6f_jxypzHfNLu1ozGwQQqCRCpdzLPg=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fbHW1548jcHygvIsxlv2AlKVB5CGTlMAmFGcz5Jkax9TWos0l ukLhMLWsD-o7d99V5ztGqD4jqISTrWUmGwUYIlg1ujWlrEXZEL3C7X1eu8vy 4y9Y-666DD1lZZhBIyHxZQXdC4TTwGHpTtIIlCxEifQ=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fPq_7xnAwLqZSe27g5peOxhU4066DPB7Gh0UQIIz0eEtB5O74 6J0liK2cNgKdPvcbhwr9bRZ0tsh6Udz92SHr53O7wZLryYHSGK 8CZeq3_Ri2w-QUzYrETytAJQ1le9zYPNnJJK2-dzQC5sCLoYKAazA=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

yocum137
06-10-2021, 12:31 PM
Gorgeous photos!

15,500'!! Talk about the nosebleed seats. ;)

Is that a trim indicator in the lower left of your display?

Eric Page
06-10-2021, 05:35 PM
I don't know if I'm more impressed with your airplane, your flying destinations or your hangar!

DesertFox4
06-10-2021, 07:42 PM
Beautiful photos Dustin. A great looking Kitfox Sir.👍

SomeDay7
06-11-2021, 08:42 AM
Fantastic Dustin. Can't wait to start these adventures. Keep giving us the incentives.

Shadowrider
06-12-2021, 02:03 PM
I went up high, on o2, to try and catch a tail wind. Yes that is a trim indicator that you see. Set it up with a green area for takeoff trim. I wish the hangar was mine, but it’s my bosses who is nice enough to let us keep our kitfox’s s in his hangar.

Clark in AZ
06-17-2021, 06:36 PM
Regarding the Balance Master, it was reasonably enough priced, so I jumped in and got one too. I want to do some testing with it before commenting too much, and haven't been able to fly with it yet. I've got my own dynamic balance rig (ACES), and my assembly is balanced to 0.05 ips or less. One thing bothers me is the statement by Balance Masters that the assembly shouldn't be pre-balanced, as that can interfere with the operation of the Balance Master (which I'll call a BM :rolleyes:). Common sense tells me that's ridiculous... the BM has no way of telling that there is a weight installed to balance the assembly, or if the assembly is just well balanced all by itself. The BM is reacting to movement of the entire spinning mass that it is installed on. Of course if the assembly is well out of balance before installing a BM, the initial perceived improvement will be more evident and greater than if it was if well balanced to begin with. I'm not saying it is, but this could be a marketing strategy. Next, if you carefully watch the video test on BM's website, with a Rotax and a DynaVibe, you'll see that the balance with the BM is definitely improved with the BM (I'm assuming the assembly had not been dynamically balanced), but is not particularly good compared to a good dynamic balance job at other than high RPM, and it sometimes varies considerably going up & down through various RPMs. So, I'm interested to see what happens.

Hey John,

Not sure if I missed it or not, did you ever post results of your tests on the Balance Master?

Thanks,
Clark

jrevens
06-17-2021, 08:57 PM
Hey John,

Not sure if I missed it or not, did you ever post results of your tests on the Balance Master?

Thanks,
Clark

Yes, I did Clark… search for & check out the thread entitled “Balance Master”.

Shadowrider
06-22-2021, 06:29 AM
Summer heat is here in Utah and it has been miserably hot. The older I get the less I like the heat. Lately the fun flying is, starting before sun-up, which is my new favorite, and watching the sun rise in the air. Found a couple new places to land. I love finding new places to land, getting out and enjoying the peace and quiet. A couple quick photos for you!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dWILlS75dxclG2l2miKBClrNOrxj8tQxby2eXrvdSP-qWYEOWX7u9EZBSL0VwqTHHdr6uuP-G87-Dq1BvYajdRM7zkP9Kxh3KlZQmdS0AqC2LA5jg1hT9LA3UihP7n Z2rNvF6mvoyT_OslXjZhrbdybg=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3f_nhh52EHuXL4d1c3zvaJSME5LpCZ7k3OBp2X53uDPnOld5iJ 8lWy7TbvrQwOLhHntU5BOfQgE43r7Ny2H0nQFmcBPxRPCXNnWh 4zaRbY-8VuWyTwnWVyXnsDbCAd3Oh_nq5VYXBNXLaG9g1WRMMmEeg=w13 59-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dBHcBd16TmH6FmAXd7LiDJAqdQP7JOK6PO9_RIBHsqEkbBaTN 7DU_wNiKE7j26wBdLQapY_AvZdUA5ywvJCxdW6kuoT_JkVNiBy 5BZsvfWFfw1WJ1yu2M_8KGY6sq8NM8VQ5fZYXmAp4jCgyma00O YQA=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

Clark in AZ
06-22-2021, 07:56 AM
Very Nice! The plane looks great!

Clark

Kitfox Pilot
06-22-2021, 08:03 PM
Did you take your mid wing stall fences off or did you never put them on. For some reason I thought they were on at one time.

Shadowrider
06-22-2021, 08:52 PM
I never put them on. The ones that came in our kits where made out of wood and warped enough that I felt the only thing they would do is add drag so I left them off. On Corys we made a set out of carbon and we just haven’t installed them yet.

Shadowrider
08-16-2021, 07:41 PM
Got a 3d printer and been making a camera mount. I think its going to work! Off airport landings I can see a camera would be very helpful to not hit a rock or mow a sage brush down that I can't see.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVsui-AWTStCF2AI7IG-KLS92YB8g-pInF3csQJLnqaGvgnmyJno0EDF0oWWgY6Q5UAG53aN-WTpE06Xr6foqJdv58gwXYiCUo0Vt3pEYMICllbS9ixcYg3CSN5 fxdxCy-WYE1FS68YZmJrL5VAjeqtug=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUYKAaOC5DBASedF_zT8Oi2uCo7lGxdcb5LDJyorkwBVeajP ht3JtCQyoW2c6Oli5A451m-Oo93vULMORiQMHe7aPqTGxKE_oaywR0fK45jVTMS94_-34tLsRPvt-dXQJkFP75HSt533XW2k9TRRbkWIQ=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

Clark in AZ
08-16-2021, 08:06 PM
Very Cool! Good job. Which printer did you get?

Clark

Shadowrider
08-20-2021, 07:15 AM
FLSUN. Seems to work good.

Shadowrider
08-20-2021, 07:20 AM
Decided to see how the big tires do in soft sand....little more rolling resistance, but not bad.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWE3YOvkjsBf1gXH1xMCaiGwBG0MKckZy9hh6UnATLdE_DHp 8ZzB-5n8s9AMNhlhkT7Lbw9ayCtuycyzIDtdFFTCA59llvaWbhmru66 P4uDbV-_5irrHekd80ranTHhfxuew7H4KKh2VP6iSJHsWh54cQ=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

I have been eyeing a landing spot for quite awhile. Its on the back side of the Sand Dunes if you are familiar with Little Sierra Sand Dunes. I flew over a rock cropping and there was a hawks nest at the top that I wanted to go and check out. Cory came with me and I decided to give it a try. It was defiantly the roughest landing spot I have landed. Caught air multiple times on landing. Took me a while to get out of there walking off the best place to takeoff. Probably wont be going back anytime soon. Lots of rollers and mounds that where hidden by the weeds.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLU11CPDhOvbKCkuv2kaXh1_089OE4XTvTwIBK6L9pW2UhhOI Q0ACCVDYp9ZvlWgGZexOjobEtrhP0R5NwQleOSeN90rfN8gdNn OAsLSDqzJNfewkZ6h5uotOA6DTSRiGnqdwGZeMi4dgcEUG7mHu aRTrw=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

Jcard
08-20-2021, 08:18 AM
A one and done.
Nice work.

Shadowrider
08-21-2021, 07:19 AM
Two top-ends, in two days!
Our oil analysis continues to show high aluminum count. We think we have the solution. Stay tuned!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVqBkO8F-w4iS3qodHkziUjusa7nE6spfa3IDgunCIklrx49yLgTCu_qwKO hxtcX___cDTshZOVKWp354L7X3GGTR7X3RUrjTdQWt3SDwEjBw L6J2SwhKLNeF5ILFZskQhjCkTOpW59W970nHjXqJwXCg=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

Kitfox Pilot
08-21-2021, 04:04 PM
I had saw where Terry Johnstone sent his back in for new pistons and crankshaft. He said his has not been flown.

Shadowrider
08-28-2021, 08:45 PM
Yes.....the CP pistons are not wearing correctly. I removed my CP pistons and spent forever measuring them trying to figure out where the high AL count in my oil analysis is coming form. Well I found it! The oil scraper top ring has been wearing into the piston ring land on one of the pistons. Comparing the 915 piston to the CP piston and I can see a huge upgrade. Thank you Thomas from Edge Performance for figuring this one out. Sounds like all new 912STI's will come with 915 pistons. Thanks Rotax for the engineering on the 915 pistons! I have got 5 hours on the new pistons and changed out the breakin oil to sport 4. Leakdown before I even started it was 80/80 and it is making more power. About 50-75 rpms.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWRhr5s7QEyRXGNtRAJFPgwyuHcDm8at31zAsz7_1NlgXjAe nOWyP2b4f46cRD5BVl1hwmHU_C9qS6nOQ7W6nwQawGophZFavs qxr91FTf_3FmRktcrJXN3wZFfeDqirV3oMYtjUlYsis937YcuY 8Vt3A=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

Kitfox Pilot
08-29-2021, 06:21 AM
That's good to have found the problem before it was a big problem.
As someone who takes oil samples on several machines here on the farm, I was always concerned at the amount of aluminum you were getting out of the oil filters.
Thanks for posting all the info on the engines that you have.

Shadowrider
10-07-2021, 08:30 AM
915 piston update: Well....kinda of. I have been traveling lots for work and unable to fly as much as I thought I would be able. I have about 10 hours since the 915 piston install. They seem to make more power than the CP pistons. Better rings with less blow-by makes more power and burns less oil. They are making about 50rpm increase on WOT power. Ring defiantly seal better. As soon as I get about 5 more hours on them I will send in and oil sample which should tell if they are the way to go for Edge built engines. Couple pictures of the recent flying. Made it out early morning to the desert, and then down to cherry creek. Always fun landing off airport!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWBnpku-BPU6XXFREVCFG_CsnbHiiwyi54z6KyThENNspk92buTS-oTcMBdvSXNVn7VGnsACCsuJMYksG_ZX_P91ZOoaHw_X_bIV7qr hoFVLP7tnT-FyJkyTQl7kGoDPCl1aTLKsj_NUL8KUXwiQf2CAg=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUfQ4Jgedt-ttk-5qalVE8dejHWoZPEQWGxkcQp6Vj5bs52gH9AdXYAdlchpIawyA _Y98aNJxCAdspxWp6nnv7b4KbIISASPI7eaPMXefGFPQWHaGlV 6U58MyK_d3sqC0BbVMfb8dBGgCHlFUxE6F4SvQ=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLX45xM1sQWLyqwuVBcdt-KF4j0gDcc75c0ytZZI1XPtUwGjj2d6noUou05Lx3FMScapH6pD-PjYpbWD2RGGeaOzN5ReiXqklXWQgUHKytVAW96-Pj-S03AVjY8xAEh4t-8WcISeA4s5oPYOU3KDPAkbTg=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

tylerhamm
10-08-2021, 06:04 AM
That is my dream airplane... So awesome!!

Shadowrider
11-05-2021, 08:43 PM
915 piston update: We have been chasing this one for awhile, but finally have a clean oil sample! Slightly higher than average, but I can attribute that to residual oil, and still breaking in somewhat. 915 piston where designed for boost and the rings are almost twice as thick as the CP piston. No oil burn, and the same if not more power. (Even though the piston is heavier) Glad to finally have this figured out.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUlM64YM0ihRGKhJEsZKfvP9D-1TzSl7ROswhBGxzW2w4-q8YzFPRaFfYvf0TKFvlminwaxBSSKH4CfO_n2GdpPjey-qdO9eGrvuRcfXA1d4AYIFmjnfYvhIaf7gib6Dcdcl8GrcJeJ5l mufFFlEB327w=w573-h1019-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXoCRVzw5Ku8unu9P1u2tanntu83euukoPbom6b53y-ShVlXCFhhYFeNHil-nFgaX2jQ7Swj7FPscv_cCv6M6xdpl0mK0egc0flIM2jcm9Q4a4 SuCQ4XfwX6HURO4HcXs53i4i06Dmusm_a03uOx5bXcA=w1529-h595-no?authuser=0

Clark in AZ
11-06-2021, 07:50 AM
Awesome! Glad you got it figured out. Terry had his pistons swapped out and is running fine. I don't think he's reached his first oil change yet. It will be interesting to see if he has the same results.

Clark

Jcard
11-06-2021, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the info.
Will be swapping pistons out.

Shadowrider
11-24-2021, 07:55 AM
Jcard highly recommend it!

These are such fun planes to fly! Made a trip down to Mexican Mountain. Awesome place to fly. Took Cory down to Hidden Splendor. On the way back had the fuel burn imbalance happen again. I thought the new fuel cap gaskets took care of problem but it showed up again. Its bad enough that when it happens almost all fuel of one tank will push into the other tank. I honestly want to go fly over a lake bed when this happens and keep flying because I think that I am going to stop getting fuel to the header tank and engine will quit. As I was flying I un-velcroed my breather line and it was full of air. Had fuel in it but only on the bottom portion of it? Its very annoying when it does this because one wing is heavy and I can fill it when I fly. Problem is I think I have the problem fixed but then on a longer flight, it randomly shows up again. Still trying to come up with theories on what is going on. Still trying to decided some solutions. Decided to take a dip out of one of my fuel lines and switched fuel caps to see if it changes side? Also checked the vent tube on the fuel caps and one was a couple degrees off the other one. Not sure that would effect it? For some reason one tank is pressurizing and the other tank is venting the pressure? Left tank was full and right tank was empty. Read through the forum and understand this has been a problem but I think when it happens to me it more severe because I will have all the fuel push from one tank to the other tank. Something weird is going on? May just need to put inline full shut offs? I tried to pinch the full lines with my fingers to see if I could force it to draw fuel out of the other tank but fingers hurt after 30 seconds. Thoughts?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUyPN9OUpGkn6qj25KOJy3QnkT0o9gFswnnHJjQwuTy4qPgs XXKeOk8gNAa-Ck6vhyVyg7yP_T7P53OcFFKH7zJ5UOuxD1qX2wxO5T7Ti9bTtN 33EQAZPXXTtEynI4Vhslr24K54r4qlxg7lj7s6jroPw=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLX2nTsXhUd5Br3RrcBrzG1tIKtJG6orRh7mYSq06QJw0flL6 8fukRHoEtMnzmTYlNctepJA5pkrJtNBbe2fBQyS1ee34PLax1Z ODpb8sT2yBBPJjoUo3AJG6J5idbpya8tQd1D37QDImybs31vg_ 9PEtQ=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLW6ADwqAxPy43Gd6GWZmP_BIoW_iWnDBYJehfNOLi4wSLhUZ kHEhzQ3RFLPZUFkHdEtrBQxjj3UX1a3IdxJOiMcEj9P5FrHrVp rkfrkdND_5gRwmPulWsYc8VVLO7BmQiYQ8dRo3fIPTi4pVexMq eK-sQ=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWSlrkdovw5HL_RR1wbLFT2cqPVneSvOqAr7Ge5m0S04SyNt c7wXVBrYhxqq0WD_2_GwDd__MbRtHOBLQmSsOSv8PJmNmyG2ok 2nULFd9u-wWwQJ9mFUKC9x-lfK2_UMZe83bjB11I6no6w7Bb-x6mMIA=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLX-5suko1GfonBUqlMyfgK75-nxyns-7nozh3mFAIcJuQmHt_zHSclavtbXr8QEEflJ79soq2wIggtKHZ rSzIN2arv7t8VneH00pg5IaP7IiXZL-3klRzUmRbkSvEOxDkA0TgkAVBfIUGGVH6n9ngxA3w=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

yocum137
11-24-2021, 12:58 PM
Still trying to come up with theories on what is going on. Still trying to decided some solutions. Decided to take a dip out of one of my fuel lines and switched fuel caps to see if it changes side? Also checked the vent tube on the fuel caps and one was a couple degrees off the other one. Not sure that would effect it? For some reason one tank is pressurizing and the other tank is venting the pressure? Left tank was full and right tank was empty.

Try making the right fuel supply line *exactly* as long as the left line (well, within a half-inch or so).

A shorter line will drain that tank first.

HTH

napierm
11-25-2021, 06:36 AM
Seems like there is a big pressure difference from the right to left tank. The left one doesn't want to feed. Leaky tank seal on the left side?

One thing to note is that these pressure differences are pretty small. Pitot pressure at 100 mph is a little less than 5 inches of water column or a bit less than 7 inches of gasoline. But that's enough to push gas right up and out the top of the other tank in level flight.

Belts and braces: shut off valve from each tank. Also a one-way valve in a horizontal position behind the seat in the left tank hose. That valve is just a free floating ball and doesn't add any resistance. But if it is pointed downhill it would keep opening.

That's what I'm planning for my fuel system. It would let me burn from the left tank 1st: close the right valve and open the left valve. The complication is that vent line back up to the right tank. If so and there is a pressure difference then there are two cases:

1. Right tank has more pressure than left tank. The right tank will feed the header tank through the vent line until the right tank fuel level drops below the vent line port. The vent line gas level will drop less than 7 inches below the left tank level and then the one-way valve will open. The left tank now feeds the header tank until empty. So this case works.

2. Left tank has more pressure than the right. The left tank will feed the header. And fuel will go up the right vent line into the right tank. If there is a leak around the right tank seal gas will be leaking out. If the pressure difference is big enough some fuel will be coming out the fuel cap vent. It's hard to see how there could be enough pressure difference to give the 4" of gasoline head to do that unless one cap was just not sealed at all. So I think this case works mostly too.

And obviously if the left tank valve is closed then it's just the right tank fuel/vent line system which works fine.

FWIW,

Mark Napier

Shadowrider
11-25-2021, 07:20 AM
Thanks Mark and Yocum137 for your thoughts. I think the EFI fuel pump is also playing into this somehow? Fuel pump provides over 50gph to engine so it is returning a bunch of fuel. It somehow is pushing fuel into one tank possibly in certain situations? I can be at 1/2 tanks and one tank will start filling and one will start draining? Its only happened a few times but still annoying.

Shadowrider
12-08-2021, 09:21 AM
Update: First oil change since 915 pistons. (other than breakin oil) Cut the filter open and filter is clean. I found a couple tiny specs but I imagine they are left over from old pistons. Also had some black, not sure if its paint from cutting the filter or some carbon? I have 40 hours on the oil and didn't burn any oil either! Cp pistons where getting blow by the rings.

For the cold weather guys, I installed the Thermo-bob. It is a huge improvement for cabin heat. Before I was taping over the radiator to try and get the temps up. Now CHT's come up to 180 and stay at 180 entire flight. Even on long descents the temps stay right at 180. Downside is if the thermostat ever gets stuck closed. Because I have a valve to shutoff heat in the summer to heater, I hooked up a second bypass. So now fluid will still bypass the thermostat with the valve closed. Works great. I just plan on changing out the thermostat every couple years.

Couple pictures of flying. Love the cold weather as climb rating is pretty good!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVs3xW0_u7-GcJe3zNketsRAv8UFGkjmRcenfyCpeDNXjgoYA2Y_XYHQRpihK XCun1akch6urV5c30wsJgVFj27EC7cdedDWjQc4uA4uSvnILlW QBFSO8ANz9ntzaXvbpuLG18wOPlDEgpryxwK_hY_7A=w759-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUKe9DNfYmz8hqlJZNcHl3i4r00LtoUzCMdBWjdet87MgUa3 r_KlCRhfNUyCKs6sweIPr_xboB0H806k4sAM3ia89k1qbYNE83 52reLbRY7IE0uoaYvfCkT9bkdWCOH0inGbmdxM6E1cmsBhWiaY bBCjA=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXlYE1CfN1_tbW4T6gxjZX9D8QXTODLHYHu9Ix4z-PHAeDY4rxNZlIfVer4Pnj7cvVKFJEFGq1BF7v8jzMbCNCJd7XF KSF0y3clbb4lVA1QRUiaYmdvkfjxlKIEbY6fiGEcscJNdm5tZg 1pRFUqux5IRQ=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUeDguzoEse_BEUpyhobaEtg9Hk9KVsfVh1vyUradBJbaIyZ oULEe6DHZsbviUqVz-6dcPl_2UypDzAktPBr1C7mMTVDUFDAYsbszesG0I9YnLUmA0Zx egXHh9OQbYkMiCLgCMN-jK8GmA84f4hs4gdog=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

Kitfox Pilot
12-08-2021, 12:23 PM
Do you have any pics of where you installed the Thermo-bob?

SomeDay7
12-08-2021, 12:28 PM
I knew a long time ago I will have a bob on mine.

yocum137
12-09-2021, 05:00 PM
That's about 29 degree climb angle! What were your VSI and ASI reading?

yocum137
12-09-2021, 05:06 PM
Thanks Mark and Yocum137 for your thoughts. I think the EFI fuel pump is also playing into this somehow? Fuel pump provides over 50gph to engine so it is returning a bunch of fuel. It somehow is pushing fuel into one tank possibly in certain situations? I can be at 1/2 tanks and one tank will start filling and one will start draining? Its only happened a few times but still annoying.

I haven't got to that part of my project yet, but I can't imagine how the pump(s) would effect this. I'll keep pondering, though.

yocum137
12-09-2021, 05:27 PM
Hey Dustin - I'm looking at your wiring job (https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/threads/9649-Dual-STI-build-log?p=79275&viewfull=1#post79275) and I have a question about the black wire bundle/conduit... is that for your under wing mood/camping lights? ;-)

Thanks!
Dan

Shadowrider
12-09-2021, 09:42 PM
Nav lights, under-wing lighting, OAT temp, pitot tube, AOA, magnetometer, depending on what wing. I used lacing string and anti-chaf to attach. The connector you can see is for connecting the NAV lights. I ran everything through the back spar into the fuselage from there.

Backpacker
01-15-2022, 01:29 PM
Hi, where is the best place to get a carbon fibre Naca duct that will work for the Edge intercooler for the Rotax Edge 156hp. I tried the search function on here with no luck.

Shadowrider
01-16-2022, 10:48 AM
We used fiberglass ones from proworks. We had to cut them and modify them to work. Originally I used a smaller one but figured out the Intercooler needed more air. Check out post 543 in build log and I list the part.

Backpacker
01-16-2022, 01:39 PM
Excellent, i was also told about some from chassisshop.com thank you !

Backpacker
01-16-2022, 01:50 PM
That is the same one i have ordered today from chassisshop, did you have to shorten it, or what did you have to do to modify it?

Shadowrider
01-16-2022, 02:28 PM
Yes I had to shorten it some, and then put a bend in it. I also opened it up some to allow more airflow in. You really want to make sure you make an airbox for the Intercooler so all the air coming in the naca goes through the Intercooler. I will see if I can post some more pictures if that would be helpful.

Backpacker
01-17-2022, 11:24 AM
Thanks again, yes pics are always helpful.

Shadowrider
01-17-2022, 04:50 PM
Originally I tried the two smaller naca's thinking that would give me enough cooling. On Cory's plane we did one single large naca and he saw intake temps 20F lower than me. I decided to go back and cut in another larger naca, and box my intercooler better. The small top naca is not used anymore just FYI. I cut score marks to flex it as needed to fit the cowl shape.
I fiber glassed it to the cowl and used superfill to fill the seems.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWxfHlFgYccHlgM-JmEMN4FPLD1CfC27Ty4Fyvq0A7txYjjCKaI8ZqzT4JJ50aNm6f esOxZJL3oVxm4S_rtl8Uv4WoM4r6fYiHOEThtAeAAEH0YLk7Je T0HHQpj10R9znGaBfWGvq1Z1ZOi3xEe-h5zJQ=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLX0H74a5nubX27BT9S-E8j2gNoAGp5pq6avS8hF1204iUvHGD5UjPDBaB5xM25Dgr9yqY 2zpo87i_9XHt_UofOUpaUGLjGOHQ-EDZLpn9ee-7YhIosv0ljUToeOL7BIR7j8o5WVAQm_JSw6FnsTTvBO3w=w135 9-h1019-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXYBiIMe_Wo4iGPM5qmJ7mY19ZnzJ_7Axt3TmBFmZy2McE2H YLr5h06sRqnPZ_iZD8AmCULQMJu5ZrFKkB2aZKouj1nRM0HSFa geDbA3r3AuJbqFifTnn75hC0FfZKQDVCRZMyWAUpl2okArei09 INffQ=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVrAwQv2In79ZsiR52WARRHEe82PcA4pu5n7E-FNjmarGBgBV1TNvy-qqxLL_ihB9Lo225CKj37UdvLte522hWyTZ-ntOPD60htCaa7qUDCR42idUwjGJH2IoyqF2XgEX13vkmAMOmD-9v9cT7O07aZwg=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVOHNA334qBu02dQ6dyiKRQaWMgNDqz60RVSfWOpqFBpsnxq 4UBFCWYI9DoI9xU54uxLur7enM_J_gKYUDFYYV6EwS29W0yEsU mgTP-a7VMbP_CXUzmSE7KUDSuMKtkSNrkBJhQqygjBgQDMIucApboHg =w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVdFqDMV3sAMTql7autB-00IoMRNXrN0ZQmDQptjb_BY4L8YIex_6iKQ44C0JdkLGuUmCwG WiS9fFE0uvxxajCHlNDfNVRgOutTBbtOlJ4xNgGmEQlrk-vYlp4Iv6uhvMO5Tcy3C-oD5gd4MgT1ccFp6Q=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

Backpacker
01-23-2022, 03:36 PM
I wish there was more to report but there has been a bunch of head scratching. Working on the cowl I ran into the problem of my naca vent hitting the turbo and not having enough clearance. Crazy thing is 1 of the 2 builds has an issue. My brothers plane is tight but has clearance. Not sure what the different between the two is. Little differences add up when it comes to the cowl. Mine, there was no way that the Naca was going to clear so I had to modify the vent. I am worried about getting enough airflow, but I guess time will tell. I think we are defiantly going to leave the cowls unpainted for possible mods that may need to take place. Mic, one of the dual STI's in Canada sent us one of his 915 intercooler to see if it will fit. I need to get some more ducting and I think I will be able to get the 915 intercooler on the side to work. I am going off Kitfox recommendations to only run on the top of the engine as our last resort. The side should work. Just need to figure out naca vents to feed it fresh air and heat shield it from the turbo/header heat. Once I get the inter-cooler plumbed I think we are back moving forward. I will be able to get the throttle cable routing figured out, which I can then get the panel drilled and get powered coated and ready to start wiring. We can then start pluming the motor and working on the firewall wiring also. While we have been waiting for the intercooler to clear customs I have been working on getting the butt rib close-outs installed. Hinges built and doors installed. Also got the bubble windows and latches installed. I had no mishaps with the acrylic which I was nervous about. I now have taken the doors off and put away for safe keeping until final install. As I wait for parts to arrive for the ducting on the intercooler I think I am going to start working on getting the windshield started, but nervous about messing it up. Fingers crossed! Here is come pictures for now!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/wW4KSZx2jkUkpVxSyp_fxYj6mCEv-Q9WhCtJmBpyaZMWu2TReAZ9WftFjyKZe22Gw14TfHP0HguIgQM LMbri43_V1J7USJnMGbe2tFhmqUAVdq-zTPJ2Mjh9BI1SR5eUlTUOyIsJL5Y=w800
Setting the clearance of the radiator off the cowl.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/EH2HFnFOtLmfUXsyHz6ayJgEsbzmIsggKWtif4S-fXfV5hqO7RGEc-PkKoZuqmL2xk09B8n-QLjxpnRZcdbiSoW6OMlwdv9IQtOTADxrDsu_v0WzwjZpP3TnFh ORenjofD5-dZlKrI0=w800
Getting ready to modify the NACA to clear the turbo when installing the cowl.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_ODAps7D-hI6n5oeM1HvA9FT9T0MqxSbwC4t6Em2NO6-cTgb3ILh3V7cBRDg9dyo_2SRy0RB4jrqcL27z7BRnwhadYUoGA XiCsAWN9Izs76bnZyuUwiR7tGW1mVEBRmMjIlIqBBFaho=w800
Hopefully the vent does not restrict to much airflow to cause overheating issues???
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/HVxG8IK9kTvHlRTg1UeQ8DZYug0Jx3TpW4Vw5UQQicvljjKWnV Va-RskaZymznpvL-9XqK-1E746HjIk-eFDM8WNX7Md2zNOjAXnBbdxSN9IhZ3SJsoyT8eUpIFs_esljZK AwWj_kb0=w800
Vent is done and visually looking from the front you can't tell.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/V9M6DH1DoGvcRSz7yf3KGcfAuhueh5vwi3kITvNqatnyXl_kOi t7jjtDMeizmXMsy3vm9gmIefnC4x_s4URCBghHFwxzEm6fJmHo _-zFekNkvSrRsPz-GfzEXOwdjrJHA3QqDh0DmTw=w800
It now has adequate clearance. Hard to tell in the picture but there is about 1.5" of clearance now. Still need to heat shield it but I think it should be good??

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/USZc6c4vrlnuaF3wUA6jAv4QZqNM-IMp4JuGfTkQL9raoMybpm4f47RXExaqvEBRa0Ep9r62fz--60wHontZ2KFLZqwIA2VkLjkgm5vxlQjk5l9o0HmfsEqXOMomMx GFEwyRGdFV56E=w800
Naca opening cut.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/gAPhLLdt941iEFaVt5j-na3odpqV7giol4D1ZA6_eDzY9xkab5h2jlsaECZFd27dMyx8d8 WH2N2IWc1HBo27IQpSgy2O1S3otkJQLbcBHnszwFH7BZEwZHxw 2nuIE5CBF8YDRbYPh1c=w800

Cowling is getting closer!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/OVaqG8ojX4v5dJrdHzrUhzMS6LhMZ3hVG_FEt8NlIRWW-HaZ89bdRlY_bMIvxT1zyo0ZSSGqarKmMbnMxisuZk4lEZmyJdt 41ltTsEbPOJevRUVrPlUSCgL5df3M5ja0upezaJnyeKc=w800

Butt rib closeouts done, hinges installed!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Kha021E3xaTid-w5DJpPHucFmjqn-rghIizGLRfnRcn_toj2rCq7bD2rmkTbxAGksVpD6Z2c4p8OCxF e2YhMdm43dlDcOU1sYMrUjZnYT-3bNhlLSKhhMSup57owsW2wJ2QpxaLeLZ8=w800
Windows installed and weather-striping installed and latches installed!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/lEfLeXeBh9rEx-3xtXOpzsntlBrRnRveaMR0qzjZD4VUdldTEDZ-qQe1GoBXrB5GXmbtyqC8eacuv_M5XtNHiDpgee-rnBNTHcnOze0H8TiDJLlLO5fSPsQc723uBqwU5YgUBeTfJh0=w 800
Sometimes you just need to roll it outside!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/7dvHIR-5JOG8Ct3ZNDKeNx308Xe9FT-rklvgsplWFXmM2SBKYmv2gnzKhcSrWFfYASy7WLVHVcJRFFElF iP0Sxw2OX_f31rvjshBFJOQSVqi6UdaDQg5cnAfz6bXhsd0pu_ mqjYnUgc=w800
Intercooler is going to work I think!!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/k7wgjHz1nF_8S6fPaPwqG6-B8QVVBLLcqoyN9zlImQ2KdPbK7QEo9I9OgChKg_3xY7xF-XqMQEmK8fXlGpxSH91P6l6vlc71Z1rK86A7vln0bpHf_kbAP58 h2571gsUR8nmgtqBq_K8=w800
Found a K&N filter that fits and now just need to run a little tighter bend to get the discharge side of the cooler to intake. Not optimal running tight bends but running low boost should be fine.

Whats the model / part # of that K & N filter? Is that a Rotax intercooler or Edge Intercooler? Thanks again for the last pics, appreciate it.

Shadowrider
01-23-2022, 08:19 PM
Post #543 page 55 has all parts info.

Intercooler. (edge will build you one) We bought a 915 takeoff. Rotax part number 888962

Backpacker
01-25-2022, 01:33 PM
Post #543 page 55 has all parts info.

Thanks, i checked out your Post #543 and this filter part # is not valid with Summit or K&N(i called both of them)...K&N said it should be 4 numbers. If you find the filter part # that would be excellent...there is so many models, i saw some very similar part #'s for the filter.

thx

Jcard
01-25-2022, 03:24 PM
This is what I used.

Backpacker
01-25-2022, 04:11 PM
This is what I used.

Excellent, thx!

Shadowrider
01-25-2022, 04:39 PM
Sorry its missing a zero. RU-0830

Wish I could go back and edit the parts listing?

Shadowrider
01-27-2022, 05:19 PM
Went flying to IBEX lakebed early in the morning. Wind was dead calm. I was flying low across the lakebed in perfectly smooth air and my TAS showed 102MPH. Ground speed showed 112mph. G3X showed 8mph tailwind? I know groundspeed was correct, but I am wondering if my Pitot system has a small leak? I got reading and I guess 1/4 air line press-in connectors often leak. Thinking maybe the press-in connector I used is leaking slightly. Vans forum many say don't use the press convectors because they leak? Avionics guy is coming next week for the Global and I will have to do a pitot static test.

Delta Whisky
01-27-2022, 07:19 PM
Dustin - why not test for a leak? I don't know what type of pitot tube you have but if it is a simple tube an airtight connection to a syringe will work. Just SLOWLY and carefully apply the slightest pressure to the system, watch your ASI climb to about 100mph, hold that setting and see if the air speed drops off.

Your story reminds me of insurance company required instruction for the first 10 hours in my first RV-6. Having taught only in C-150s, said instructor was mightily impressed with cruising at 150mph. (Yep, the irony of the insurance company accepting that instructor is apparent.) Thinking "why aren't we making the 180mph most folks get?", I found TWO leaks in the system. That's why I don't have "connectors" in any plane I've build since then. All connections are tube-to-tube with a short piece of silicon tubing. One example can be seen in this picture:

If your system passes the pitot system leak test, then building a manometer or borrowing a known, good (calibrated?) ASI is in your future. Just connect the "calibrated" unit in parallel with your ASI and compare readings as you increase pressure. There are one or two more issues if one is testing a mechanical ASI but it appears you talking about your Garmin only.

I'm not sure what you mean by the Global and pitot static test but unless you fly IFR this shouldn't be a concern.

PapuaPilot
01-28-2022, 11:36 AM
You could also do a leak check on the static system. You need to put a little suction on the static system to raise the altitude at least 1000' higher and it should not lose more than 100' in one minute. Be very careful doing this, as it is easy to apply to much suction and damage instruments or your AHRS.

I have seen similar errors in my G3X system and have decided to live with it. Sometimes the wind calculations & GS vs. TAS seem a little off. Besides the pitot/static system I wonder about the magnetometer possibly having slight interference or a slight azimuth error in installation.

Shadowrider
01-28-2022, 02:52 PM
I have thought of re-calibration of my magnetometer, but that seems like it would only give me errors in regards to wind direction. I have noticed that I have had a 10mph tail wind both directions? Seems like pitot system is leaking a bit to read low indicated airspeed. I am going to try and leak test the pitot system and change out the push-lock fittings and see if I notice anything different.

109JB
01-28-2022, 04:14 PM
If OAT is off , TAS will be off too. It would have to be off quite a bit but it is just a thought.

Shadowrider
02-01-2022, 09:52 PM
IAS/TAS update: My OAT is accurate, within 1degree of atis/awos. I also went to the compass rose and did a calibration on my magnatrometer. Replaced press to connect fittings and with barbed coupler, and did a pitot/static leak check. I have been on Vans forum a bunch as there is lots of great info in regards to garmin. I used some info I found there and tested my pitot system, from the wings into the G3x, using a syringe. "Not recommend, you must be very careful" Brought my indicated airpseed up to 186 and it held there for many mins. I figured higher the pressure the higher the leak maybe? Then I brought my altitude up to 6000' and it held altitude without any altitude loss. So I am guessing I don't have a leak especially because Cory's and my plane indicates the exact same. 5400rpm we true at 105mph and 5200 rpm we true at 102. I "think" we are indicating about 8mph slow. I remember riding in another kitfox that had oratex and he said he thinks he is indicating about 10mph slow. Got me thinking what do we all have the same? I have our static source at the same location as he did so maybe its a static source issue while flying.(We are all G3X users) On vans forum, I guess many have low indicated airspeed because the static source is getting pressurized. One user recommended taping a washer around the static source to help protect it. What I am thinking is on oratex is a much thinner finish so the static port sticks out of the fabric slightly causing it to pressurize the static port. So I just taped a washer on today to try, and low and behold I was seeing about 8mph higher TAS. It was too bumpy today to record data but based on what my grounspeed was and what I calculate TAS be, I think I am pretty close now. I flew a triangle pattern and watched my wind speed readout and it showed 340 degree at 13 mph no matter what direction I flew. Usually it shows at least 10mph, or greater if I have a actual tailwind. I honestly cant believe I have flown this long and not figured it out. I am going to 3d print some type of washer that I can use the 3m two side tape that is used for vg's and attach a static port protector. I may need to increase or decrease thickness once I record some numbers. My goal is to get my TAS as close as possible so my wind readout is more accurate for off airport landings. I know this probably should of been done in flight test, but I never did the flight test where you fly in a triangle to calibriate TAS because I figured there wasn't anything I could change??

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLX3vhvkisxIsDiF1IWeYn-foTaUfbOkiTrVRxqS8gcSvrIYH5n5NHiN_NO9iLsPQ5yi7erFc GK0c4kQH5NsxGUc1vj_EjwKNH4DV0Mkc7ZvkWmG56-AELlQkzpWdHu2Rd4ufMLChXPX8jVFOdq-Iu4g_A=w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVJfYSmhYrQg0jmRjF_b6uX2GA9eHWWAXguBaP3jOLLpGiGm ospWJgAXlvwIkP1yHgNzZA3bzO06X-qS-Ibw-pcoacTKFphQRJvlUyljuFqlJnfe0_-QZ-SlMkcU6BZu1_AWANhLFkphnDsrrQHvZYKjA=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVic-GnO1kbnNXPAxfFglHXodIRsjlu3iWp76t2LT-RFepATDYTvpv8eNBSqSUM7zmsem2pyNYsXFz_ndcqlbU46Fwxy ewVQ-T8ifiHOSgIFDTqG6zbTPmHyKHKkbbDCyYfwgGzIvkwvPGMVZRw 4cMIAA=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

alexM
02-01-2022, 10:38 PM
You should sell airspeed correction kits. You'd make millions!

Great idea trying that.

Geek
02-02-2022, 07:32 AM
Another great Dustin Garmin G3X piece of gouge (In Navy-speak "gouge" = important information)!! Think when I do mine I will put a spacer behind the Oratex which I can do cause I now know about this ahead of time. Thanks Dustin!!

Gary

jiott
02-02-2022, 11:36 AM
Great idea Dustin; I think I will go out and try to accurately calibrate my airspeed now that I know something can actually be done about it.

PapuaPilot
02-02-2022, 12:24 PM
Great idea Dustin; I think I will go out and try to accurately calibrate my airspeed now that I know something can actually be done about it.

Ditto. I should do this too.

Do you guys have one static port or two? I ended up installing a second one on the opposite side of the fuselage.

jiott
02-02-2022, 02:40 PM
I just have one static port, left side low under the lifting handle. Two would probably be somewhat better.

Actually I have never worried too much about airspeed accuracy because after flying the same aircraft for a while you get used to the speeds shown on the indicator and know precisely when it is going to stall, etc. Those numbers get in your head no matter if they are somewhat off. If I recalibrate I may have to relearn some of those numbers-not too thrilling after 8 years of flying, but I suppose better accuracy is nice to have.

jiott
02-02-2022, 02:42 PM
I guess I will need to recalibrate my AOA indicator also; not very difficult on the Dynon system.

109JB
02-02-2022, 06:34 PM
Glad you got yours fixed. My analog gauge in the KF 4 I rebuilt is a bit further off. About 90 mph actual reads 120 mph on the gauge. Low speed is pretty close and shows no-flap stall buffet at 35 mph which I suppose is about right. Static is vented to the cockpit. Will be running a new static line to a tube type static port but not until warmer weather arrives.

Shadowrider
02-02-2022, 07:33 PM
I am going to check AOA if it needs to be re-calibrated, but I suspect the error is only showing up on the faster end. Made a few 3d printed printed "static guards" of different sizes. Going to start with the one that is the same thickness of the washer I used and go from there.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWmt2xCGKBGefswvQFqDW6FYKYEbrmHaOYVTGX0lOWJzhtEr XHXS-gAxNZxRuMsfWD5Mf4M2TYIQY2239-H1eEfH0QaNDAyjvExEmqN_J90vRuzEJLdGr0MKi_PL1OZAUoGu rRgR9GEEhVUcN0qlU4bLA=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

SNOW JW
02-05-2022, 02:49 PM
Went flying to IBEX lakebed early in the morning. Wind was dead calm. I was flying low across the lakebed in perfectly smooth air and my TAS showed 102MPH. Ground speed showed 112mph. G3X showed 8mph tailwind? I know groundspeed was correct, but I am wondering if my Pitot system has a small leak? I got reading and I guess 1/4 air line press-in connectors often leak. Thinking maybe the press-in connector I used is leaking slightly. Vans forum many say don't use the press convectors because they leak? Avionics guy is coming next week for the Global and I will have to do a pitot static test.

Dustin I would not trust the push connectors at a low PSI. We have hundreds of these on our truck fleet & they often leak at under 40 psi & often leak more with age & vibration they work great at higher psi 100 & above so the lower the psi the more they leak. Sometimes you can stop a leak with a small amount of AGS Sil-Glyde on the hose.

yocum137
02-28-2022, 09:54 AM
You should sell airspeed correction kits. You'd make millions!

Great idea trying that.

Well, dozens of dollars, for sure. ;)

yocum137
02-28-2022, 09:56 AM
I am going to check AOA if it needs to be re-calibrated, but I suspect the error is only showing up on the faster end. Made a few 3d printed printed "static guards" of different sizes. Going to start with the one that is the same thickness of the washer I used and go from there.

Dustin - do mind attaching the STL files for these nifty washers? Thanks!

Shadowrider
03-06-2022, 08:16 AM
Yes I will post. I am changing the design because it seems to have errors still present in flight testing. When I taped the washer on I think the tape protected the static port better. Hoping next week I can get out and fly it. Also working on some 3d printed gap seals that I am excited about!

Shadowrider
03-08-2022, 09:23 AM
Gap seals are done! Test flew it yesterday and they made a huge difference. Feels like the elevator is much larger. Tail comes up quicker, and less prop wash buffeting on steep climb-out. I now have significantly more tail authority, which means I can stall slower (power off because I don't run out of tail) but with that the stall breaks a lot harder. Nose drops hard. Will have to get used to that. My landing was a little wonky because I couldn't figure out why I was teetering and realized my tail was on the ground but my mains where still in the air. Usually if I land tail first is when I am trying to get really short and I pull hard at the last second and the tail will touch first. Its noticeably faster also! I changed too many things at once to be ably to give accurate numbers. Modified the static guard. My theory is at high power settings, high cruise I am getting prop wash pressurizing the static port, so a little guard seems to be giving more accurate indicated airspeed readings. Low end speeds are accurate before, but topend speeds seem to be off. It was way to ruff yesterday to check the numbers but I will shortly.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVG5Bbmr4hWAhDUh_i6JO2Y617aBtk_NtpYa9mo4M92JaU4i EN_niBO8L0RI0zomfkvGU1hk2lajyTBY3dzBOVifwpqj68hLuV ZqqpNvQxw-FPKXwVHKWDbyU_GJMnfq7JxvgH5n7_YMAQxa-snrtJSNA=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVLR3oeyd5Vx3_bJT2wFok5gHACCDxjSGvA-ejJGimg03bzCrJsHWSpW_7EQcaGj3Oe6WWhsk6Y9jUIODYAtca nHRnMRCII7fckX1fNbqMH2fBx8pY4x_CA__P8uIZPAQjOScm8c Q6WpGdJyIoVSagBzw=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXT3DGfHohDpPLnp83uJvAn3AGMWm77mBIDCt-ngO14kKFpaS0nTOHDN-WTRyyFHCHIcF0mpwCzoJZuJCNo95p5D8lIwzHRGsF3D4T3i_lu tm61h4DeVTIog9ZQXAUyzvsaxMjBcxuJSae_O4bIDvRMHw=w76 5-h1019-no?authuser=0

alexM
03-08-2022, 10:18 AM
I love those gap seals.

Eric Page
03-08-2022, 11:00 AM
So do I. Did you print them with flexible TPU filament? Would you be willing to post the files somewhere and provide a link? Thanks.

yocum137
03-08-2022, 11:32 AM
Oh yeah, gap seals will make a huge difference and they don’t even need to be so fancy (but I like yours A LOT)! Just something to prevent air from leaking from the underside to the top improves authority. I used painters tape to experiment on my Pietenpol and it was a completely different (better!) flying experience. I’m surprised Kitfox doesn’t have a sealed gap option - I’ll bring that up with Brandon next time I go visit them.

Speaking of the static source and old open cockpit aircraft, we’d put a plastic plug with a 1/16” hole drilled in it in the static inlet of the steam gauges. Can’t do that in an enclosed cockpit, but sheltering the static port completely - extend that semi-circle up and farther back - should reduce the prop wash effect better/more.

Flybyjim
03-08-2022, 06:04 PM
How is the gap seal attached?

Shadowrider
03-09-2022, 09:01 PM
Yes they are printed in TPU. Stuff is pretty cool. Strong and lightweight. They are attached by going between the elevator and horizontal stab. They pivot with the elevator to keep the seal flat and tight. I have tested them down to about 10F and they are working great. Making a second set for Cory's plane and making a couple tweeks. Not sure they would work on planes that don't have a single layer of oratex because the clearances would be off? I will post more info after a couple of test flights.

PapuaPilot
03-09-2022, 10:50 PM
Nice!
How much infill did you use on the print? Do you know how much the whole upgrade weighs (you said super light)? Did you put the elevator hinges at the seams?

These wouldn't be hard to draw up in a CAD program, but are you willing to share the STL files?

Flybyjim
03-10-2022, 04:40 AM
So with the statement they are attached between the stab and elevator are you saying this is just a friction fit between the two?

Shadowrider
03-10-2022, 05:21 PM
Phil, 10 percent infill. Guessing they are around 1 pound for all the pieces but I will weigh them when the next set finishes. I made some adjustments on the second set, and I am happy to share the STL files after I make sure they fit. Maybe thingiverse as I am not sure I can post files here? There are 3 different pieces. Yes they are seemed at the hinges with a flap the covers the hinge.

Flybyjim, Yes they are just stuck between the elevator and horizontal stab. Took about 8-9 versions to get one that fit to my liking. I will get some more pictures and it will make sense. Pretty simple print just takes a long time to print. TPU you have to slow down to get a good print.

Shadowrider
03-13-2022, 06:56 PM
Was able to do more testing. Gap seals make a huge difference! They make almost as much difference as VG's. Stall speed, power off, is slower because I have more elevator control. Landing distance is now shorter because I can land slower now. First landing off airport, I flared and found myself starting to fly again when usually I just run out of elevator. So far my estimates is I am 2mph faster in cruise with them also! I am printing another set for Corys plane, and once I check the fitment I will post the STL files on thingiverse. If you know CAD its not hard to draw these up. I will help those looking to print your own once I finish with the second set. I felt confident enough with them that I took my wife and flew down to Mexcian Mountain to go on a hike and have lunch. It was cold and shortly after landing I check the fitment of the Gaps seals and they where riding perfect.

The static port gaurd has corrected my indicated airspeed. On the G3X, I now have an accurate indicated airspeed, my TAS is now accurate which gives me an accurate winds aloft readout. I used some 3M 468MP 200 MP Adhesive to attach it. I have posted it on thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5317115

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLW8KIz0ts4srhyolJPMDKhObDM0VNatck-9xHNKxWdn6wYM6Pbffl84A0kuMlKM-6923r26OcC6B9cOhhicqG25VUipr2EiSZkpwvDOsjE9-9jpAVISPzuUyVggUIAKmq2I0RYsmF0W2WOvXe9VLhU5wg=w135 9-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUh-QDLAFFKC7BmrgtZ99Uyz9tVj5he1Y0ZkmCCLfRJFGyGJPlJrx5 oldFPG0ri0r112RaNJkQxn95X-OuJtsYvd7T_eNRnhbc3pMwFvBzniGHNBfxzVcYkykLrjI9Axl0 nfqjg5GrrD40E17KBmXUhGw=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVm96BgL-nP5HPULTxtUtMM3XG1STjAMdQIjOYEARn_buIEtM6PqS5cKIh2-hcNW81hI2ii1kXiOQJqAtewlEUT8wPmGBakfL0j1nl-hdNf8Q_DCd2sUR_sRLHIXCi23FTiNSul_MND6Y0I3tIK1H8C9A =w1359-h1019-no?authuser=0
The layout of these are not correct, but you get the idea.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXyZV4HZ_vMyk6IDZk-bjV68E1Wiz11sohmOH8tWJZb83aOiQ0lM6BQexP5kKMxFZnW4P hCLd7W7PwDcOiNL_JIvUm2MDNJAjjnGKMBeBWars3dQtOdQ6XD 1Awfh7QchMXWMYPTEok1dB2n2vxzBLuf5Q=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

Kitfox Pilot
03-13-2022, 07:43 PM
Quote: Was able to do more testing. Gap seals make a huge difference! They make almost as much difference as VG's. Stall speed, power off, is slower because I have more elevator control. Landing distance is now shorter because I can land slower now. First landing off airport, I flared and found myself starting to fly again when usually I just run out of elevator. So far my estimates is I am 2mph faster in cruise with them also!

Well now I have to buy a printer, where does it end! haha
Great job and great results!

airlina
03-14-2022, 03:41 AM
While not as fancy as yours (made mine from rubberized copper tube foam from lowes, split in half) , my results were similar on my Series 5. I found that elevator control especially at the end on the flare is much more responsive and allows slower touchdown speeds. Amazing what you youngsters are doing with this 3D printing stuff, very professional looking , nice job. Bruce N199CL

VictorV
03-21-2022, 07:59 AM
I'm wondering if there are any safety issues with using gap seals like this. If the plastic material can degrade with
weather/time is there a possibility that it could crack/break and bind up your elevator? I love the idea but it's a bit
scary installing something that could bind up your most important flight control.

Victor

Eric Page
03-21-2022, 09:23 AM
The material used is called thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU). In the formulation used in 3D printing, it's a soft, flexible material and is not subject to embrittlement or cracking.

The only concern I would have is layer separation leading to portions of a gap seal flapping in the breeze. If the part has sufficiently thick cross section then there should be plenty of layer adhesion to prevent this. Judging by the photos above, I don't think it's a worry with the parts Dustin has designed.

yocum137
03-28-2022, 08:44 AM
Dustin - how much paint did you use for everything you painted - cowl, flaperons, lift struts, gear, etc.? A quart? A gallon? Thanks!

Shadowrider
03-29-2022, 11:48 AM
A gallon for two planes.

yocum137
03-29-2022, 02:10 PM
A gallon for two planes.

Thanks! 👍🏻👍🏻

Shadowrider
03-29-2022, 05:07 PM
Second set of gap seals printed and installed. Cory flew his plane after doing his condition and inspection (BTW leakdown with the 915 pistons, 80/80 all 4 cylinders) and had to get used to how it flew. Lands slower with more elevator authority. Said it feels like the elevator works better. I have put them up on thingiverse but don't recommend putting these garage door seals on your aircraft. :)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLX-T83ArOFB7oBKeJp-APV8L95RnYt-z02SHZbUNNSBGYV5ToiYnKh2w0JF3uqLDqTaYtvA3uT9voNwTS jGxza8w19wk6gtL8GJUUVyu5TpH6whwkcaQyI3SDL9vD6gFbUn 7lUL5Jkw3-Kj0NbGKGd3sg=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5334701

Shadowrider
03-30-2022, 09:11 AM
Decided to see if I can find a little more speed. Looked at the drag coefficient of a flat plate and its not good! Thought I would try and clean up the cabane landing gear some. Good for about 1mph:) I put them on thingiverse for anyone who wants them. Working on a piece to fill in the spot at the top to make it smooth transition.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5335360

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUgr2fLRJMK60kC3RWHgCGCI0p1yxwt49l6c6u17NMIveaA-diped4pUIVYpu7b9-OaT62AbQZH5S9x44Wj6rl-Khj95nwxBmsqbeycYgcI1rjc21SIuWzwRO63PIOSJ5hBhrf9CU Ej5q32WkUiJI88pA=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLV-BetQ0CMlXzYJgaZKmP6t8fhoeL2XJkr69h49h8mR71Izgv8_ZU _ADJHzyFZj2_O7bwQNy6l7ZEgjcFM8S5FnACRj-Ni_uEnv-zFPK0QUiBsfoahA8EhgF64irL5K1afh5dEVO4E9IMDrR46_UiB 1iw=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXbdM27HbbeQug6QcGI4MhC0r_JPW38vBGtoQvXWT-pzciMTjXqEZjKdFTtABT8c2MM3c2rYrOmdQX6MwP2pQ7fyF33F 5vBlN-OeN9U3gWwz-1HUvfEyBpw0zi1t2DkMxvOh4cRsHzzabFRV9hEVzVdig=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

Delta Whisky
03-30-2022, 05:01 PM
Dustin - thanks for putting your model up on the thingiverse. If my fairings on the Monster Shocks work out, I will do the same. May also go all the way and print out and install your contribution too. Check out my posting on the "what I did today link". R, Darrel

Shadowrider
04-02-2022, 01:48 PM
Looking good! I am excited to hear the full flight report?

Shadowrider
04-12-2022, 04:15 PM
Condition inspection complete. New brake pads, new spark plugs, fuel filter change, oil filter and oil change. Oil filter was cut open and inspected and looking good. Mag plug was clean. Leakdown was 80/80 x 4. Oil sample sent off. Found a wire rubbing against battery box. Put some fuel tubing as a shield. Installed 3d printed part to cool the ipad. Haven't flown it but on the ground with just the engine idling I could feel air going to the ipad. Also replaced both fuel caps as I have been chasing fuel transfer issue from day one.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLU6ghPDS-lZ13Eu3hv9_QeeyodGjaT0iNwhABnzhaXSPGeEdJ0uyUgv49LB 30QC-qbXlgDHMhKHdBi3OykS-lAmE7ZafIg8l8eaI5N_DyprH2ZwZzJrSWgXzNciO13RwlrL4Ol 0Li5elCQLE3zx4sGbKQ=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXVaH_TwYm0-1LPV8UnFDBvRncSzIWlJV5kVqmG44U9xR_vAQ2lsQxVlWYmjd-TqDWrZT0nEylJcUqfysnZ6d47E1jvmpAtMsbekF8Rzx52VnrbR 8B_YYT4SCsLWIUwHaMQ4H46qdjDGr9ACE_r_e61iA=w765-h1019-no?authuser=0

Kitfox Pilot
04-12-2022, 06:38 PM
That fuel transfer issue seems to be a problem to lots of kitfoxes. I was hoping your blue seals took care of it for you. Did you stay with kitfox caps or go to something else?

Shadowrider
04-12-2022, 07:21 PM
Blue gaskets fixed the issue on Corys, but not mine. I would switch caps and issue would follow. Finally replaced both fuel caps from kitfox and then installed blue gaskets on new fuel caps. The new caps fit much tighter then the ones I had. Now the tanks stay within 1/4 tank of each other. Before I would have one tank almost empty and the other almost full at times. Worse on long flights at high altitude when it was really cold.

yocum137
04-13-2022, 08:35 AM
Huh. The caps that I and a couple other builders in Boise got are *super* tight and no blue gaskets, but we got our kits about 12-18mo after you guys did.

Blue gaskets fixed the issue on Corys, but not mine. I would switch caps and issue would follow. Finally replaced both fuel caps from kitfox and then installed blue gaskets on new fuel caps. The new caps fit much tighter then the ones I had. Now the tanks stay within 1/4 tank of each other. Before I would have one tank almost empty and the other almost full at times. Worse on long flights at high altitude when it was really cold.

jiott
04-13-2022, 11:16 AM
7-8 years ago someone on this forum suggested using little dabs of Hysol to seal up some small vent holes on the underside of the fuel caps. Apparently these small holes vent out to the edges of the cap, bypassing the vent tube that sticks up into the airstream to pressurize the fuel tank. I did that, and as I remember it seemed to help somewhat the issue of uneven fuel consumption. Has anyone else done this or heard about it, or am I all wet? It makes sense to me because Kitfox takes a standard vented fuel cap and welds the vent tube on the top. So these other vent holes, depending on their size can disrupt the amount of tank pressurization, maybe differently on the RH and LH tanks.