PDA

View Full Version : Flying Idaho

TJay
03-02-2019, 05:22 AM
For those of you that have flown Idaho What would be your minimum Rate of climb that you would want your plane to have.
I enjoy the u tube videos and see a lot of planes that look like they struggle to get out of areas like Johnson Creek. Just curious here.

GuppyWN
03-02-2019, 11:55 AM
If you can climb to 7,000’ you can get out of Johnson Creek. It’s not a crisis taking off or climbing out from JC and if you’re going south once you hit Landmark it’s all downhill.

HighWing
04-30-2019, 06:35 PM
My comfort level would be about 1000 fpm. Johnson Creek, though wouldn't be too much of a challenge as the runway for takeoff runs down stream. Meaning there is a river that parallels the runway and it runs down the fairly wide canyon and a left turn following the river down the canyon is a typical departure. Other strips would be different as they all have their own challenges - or not. When our group flew the back country 10 or so years ago we all had a copy of "Fly Idaho" a pilots guide to the more remote strips. It has a rating system from easiest to most difficult. I checked and our edition is long gone, but the 3rd edition is available.