PDA

View Full Version : NR Propeller

bbs428
02-05-2019, 08:35 AM
Received my new prop yesterday. It's an NR SR 106 2 blade scimitar style with a metal leading edge.
Looks nice. Low weight is impressive, 9.9 lbs. all up weight including bolts, backing plate and spinner.
Not including the 2" prop extension. The pitch tool is set at 16 deg. and can be adjusted plus or minus
7 deg.

It will be awhile before I can do any testing

Air Trikes re-brands the Luga under "Kool", and some refer to the luga as an "NR prop", presumably
the initials of the inventor (Nick Roman)
So:
LUGA = KOOL = NR Prop.

WWhunter
02-05-2019, 09:01 AM
Hmm, that sure is a different way to set the pitch. Are you worried at all about any flex in that rod that runs from the prop hub to the blade section?

bbs428
02-05-2019, 10:38 AM
The pitch tool is extremely stiff. Also looks like it was welded or soldered
on the back side with witness marks.
I tried to flex it a little and I couldn't deflect it.
I'm sure I could bend/break it if I really put the muscle to it or stomped
on it. ;)

jrthomas
02-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Hmm, that sure is a different way to set the pitch. Are you worried at all about any flex in that rod that runs from the prop hub to the blade section?
I have a Kiev prop that is a very similar design and it uses an identical pitch tool. It's very simple and it works very well. Flex is not an issue. I wonder if all these similar props are designed and built by the same people.

bbs428
02-05-2019, 10:49 AM
My understanding is they were all designed by Nick Roman
and marketed under different names. Luga being the most well known.

WWhunter
02-05-2019, 02:31 PM
Ok, that explains it better. I thought it was just that screw holding the shaft. I could see that pivoting slightly if not very tight. But being welded, makes much more sense. Thanks!

klamberth27
03-20-2023, 01:52 PM
Received my new prop yesterday. It's an NR SR 106 2 blade scimitar style with a metal leading edge.
Looks nice. Low weight is impressive, 9.9 lbs. all up weight including bolts, backing plate and spinner.
Not including the 2" prop extension. The pitch tool is set at 16 deg. and can be adjusted plus or minus
7 deg.

It will be awhile before I can do any testing

Air Trikes re-brands the Luga under "Kool", and some refer to the luga as an "NR prop", presumably
the initials of the inventor (Nick Roman)
So:
LUGA = KOOL = NR Prop.

I bought the NR SR118 and mine shows 17 degrees. Is 17 degrees the the large longer middle line and then you can go plus or minus 1 degree at a time?

klamberth27
03-20-2023, 01:54 PM
Thanks! That is helpful

bbs428
03-20-2023, 07:01 PM
Exactly correct.
The large middle line is the 17deg (in your case) (mine is 16 deg) and you can add or minus degrees from that setting.

klamberth27
03-21-2023, 09:17 AM
Perfect! Thanks for the help!

alexM
03-21-2023, 09:35 AM
I don't have confirmation but I suspect my Meglin prop is also from the same molds as NR, Luga, etc. The blades look suspiciously identical in shape. Workmanship on the blades and hub is fantastic.

KenZ
06-06-2023, 03:07 PM
I just received my prop from NRprop today and looks great. Installing on my O-320 160 HP lycoming. Roman says its good for the HP.

Any body out there have a starting point for the pitch?
Torque on the bolts?
Ken

Dave S
06-06-2023, 05:29 PM
Ken,

A good place to check with is the prop manufacturer. Often they can guide a person based on other customers experience with the same engine/prop combo.

bbs428
06-07-2023, 08:15 AM
Hey Ken,

I wrote Roman and for my prop assy. he responded:

Hello Brett !

5. RECOMMENDATIONS FOR USE

5.1 Before operating the propeller carefully read the rules of its assembly, operation and maintenance.
5.2 Prior to the assembly and installation of the propeller on the aircraft the following is required:
Check availability of parts and components in accordance with section 6 of the passport;
visual inspection of the parts to check the status after transport;
install the blades into the hub slot in accordance with the blade and bearing markings after securing with bolts;
set the angles of the blades using a ruler whose “0” corresponds to ______. No gaps along the ruler or blade edges are allowed;
tighten the hub bolts with 2,1 kg m force and lock them;
set screw on the seat of the motor flange and fix with bolts with tightening force 2,3 kg m, lock them;
5.3. Following this recommendation will ensure proper assembly and operation. The propeller is balanced, eliminating vibration and ensuring the normal operation of the engine.

Best regards Roman

Вы писали 12 мая 2023 г., 13:49:35:

Дорогий сер, Яке правильне значення крутного моменту гвинта до фланця коробки передач і крутний момент затискних болтів лопаті? У мене 912ul Zipper @110hp і 2-лопатевий пропелер SR-106. Будь ласка, в дюймах-фунтах і/або футах-фунтах, якщо можливо. Дякую тобі,

Dear sir,

What is the proper torque value of the propeller to the gearbox flange and the torque of the blade clamping bolts?
I have a 912ul Zipper @110hp and a 2 blade SR-106 propeller.
Please in inch lbs and/or ft lbs if possible.
Thank you,
Brett

I had a heck of a time finding the torque values as well. Go to the NR website and shoot him an email on your specific prop. Took about 3-5 days for him to respond to mine. I had to use an online converter from kg to inch/ft lbs. As for pitch, I started at 16deg.

Delta Whisky
06-07-2023, 05:27 PM
200 lb in, https://goodcalculators.com/torque-conversion-calculator/

KenZ
06-11-2023, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the response, Roman sent me the same info5. RECOMMENDATIONS FOR USE

5.1 Before operating the propeller carefully read the rules of its assembly, operation and maintenance.
5.2 Prior to the assembly and installation of the propeller on the aircraft the following is required:
Check availability of parts and components in accordance with section 6 of the passport;
visual inspection of the parts to check the status after transport;
install the blades into the hub slot in accordance with the blade and bearing markings after securing with bolts;
set the angles of the blades using a ruler whose “0” corresponds to __17____. No gaps along the ruler or blade edges are allowed;
tighten the hub bolts with 2,3 kg m force and lock them;
set screw on the seat of the motor flange and fix with bolts with tightening force 2,5 kg m, lock them;
5.3. Following this recommendation will ensure proper assembly and operation. The propeller is balanced, eliminating vibration and ensuring the normal operation of the engine.

Best regards Roman

DOnt know why they just don't send a manual with the prop.
Now I need to read the "rules of assembly, operation and maintenance". which was not supplied.
Ken

KenZ
06-11-2023, 07:10 AM
Also 215 Inlb for prop to engine hub seams awful light torque.

Shadowrider
06-12-2023, 07:58 PM
I would recommend calling saber bolts in Texas and changing out the bolts that came with the NR prop. Prop is great but the hardward I received was not aircraft grade bolts. I was told and torque to 180inch pounds, or 15ft lbs. Don't want to over torque as you are squeezing the prop.

KenZ
06-13-2023, 09:14 AM
Good Idea, I think I will need the flange bolts also, mine are too long.

also got this from Roman.

MTBF, life, storage life

Life of the product is 8 years.
The warranty of the manufacturer, which starts at the moment of sale is 12 months.
Storage life in special manufacturer packaging is: in client storage – 5 years, except for heat-stressed areas, in which the storage life is 3 years.
Store indoors in manufacturer’s packaging at temperatures from +10 to +35 С°, with humidity not more than 75 – 80%.
Repair of the following minor defects and damages by the manufacturer is allowed:
replacement of steel bindings;
removal of nicks and chippings up to 2ё3 mm;
removal of scratches of depth up to 0,5 mm and length up to 35 mm;
applying putty and coloring to the repaired areas of the product.

The aforementioned MTFB, life and storage life are only valid if the storage and operation terms were followed by the client.

Best regards Roman

KenZ
06-13-2023, 09:18 AM
35 deg C is like spring and fall here in Tucson. so I guess it is only good for 3 years at 110 deg F

little rocket
08-26-2023, 05:40 PM
I just received my prop from NRprop today and looks great. Installing on my O-320 160 HP lycoming. Roman says its good for the HP.

Any body out there have a starting point for the pitch?
Torque on the bolts?
Ken
Hi I would like to get some info on what prop you got from Roman for the 160 HP lycoming ,tried to send you a PM but says your PM box is full and you need to clear it to receive new message.

KenZ
08-26-2023, 08:27 PM
Hi I would like to get some info on what prop you got from Roman for the 160 HP lycoming ,tried to send you a PM but says your PM box is full and you need to clear it to receive new message.
This is what I got
SR118-2024mm-(3 blades, hub SAE-2-101,6 rotax) Carbon propeller= 1100 euro + 130 euro shipping
Also thanks on the mail box..... cleared old messages.
Ken

Drowosek
12-19-2023, 09:34 AM
This is what I got
SR118-2024mm-(3 blades, hub SAE-2-101,6 rotax) Carbon propeller= 1100 euro + 130 euro shipping
Also thanks on the mail box..... cleared old messages.
Ken

Please clarify, how do you use a 2m diameter propeller on a 2800 rpm engine?
The circumferential velocity in SI system reaches 293 m/s.

We mourn with you, colleagues. It is a great pity that I did not have time to ask this question....

Drowosek
12-19-2023, 10:08 AM
I don't have confirmation but I suspect my Meglin prop is also from the same molds as NR, Luga, etc. The blades look suspiciously identical in shape. Workmanship on the blades and hub is fantastic.

I have told many times about Ukrainian propeller manufacturers and developers.
The Lugansk firm AERO provided thousands of our aviators with plastic propellers with classic shaped blades.
Then Lugaprop was spun off from it, and they began to work in parallel.
In 1993 in Kharkov two of our designers Pavel Dimitrov and Anatoly Vasiliev designed and started production of propeller VN-1 at our firm Lilienthal.
In 1995 it turned into a propeller with saber-shaped blades VN-3 Donchak. Its properties surpassed all known propellers at that time.
But in the future the quality of blade manufacturing fell. Lugaprop manufacturing quality has always been excellent and stable.
Around 2010 I managed to convince Lugaprop to buy the right to produce VN-3 Donchak propeller and join efforts to produce saber-shaped and classic blades.
Lugaprop was able to significantly expand the range of propellers produced. At this time NR-prop was separated from Lugaprop.
Later their paths diverged and now the nomenclature is different. Lugaprop now operates in Russia.
We in Kharkiv continue to work closely with NR-prop, which was forced to move from Lugansk to Kiev.
Our nomenclature of Meglin propellers is identical, the production of both classic and saber-shaped propellers has been preserved.
Ellipse-shaped blades have also appeared, as well as especially strong blades designed for engines without gearboxes or engines with increased power.
These blades were developed at the request of American pilots, owners of RV aircraft with Lycoming engines. Similar blades are also used by Jabiru owners.
We also try to keep the production of wooden propellers and various auxiliary products listed on the website: http://propeller.mozello.com/
The photo shows the VN-3 Donchak propellers.
Regards, Vladimir Meglinsky.

Delta Whisky
12-19-2023, 10:25 AM
Drowosek - I'm curious as to what is wrong with 293mps? A quick look up says the speed of sound at 20C is 1235 km/hr (343 m/s). If my research and math is correct, tip speed would be about 85% sos. That's pretty much at the limit of efficiency for most propellers but it also isn't the cruise speed.

Drowosek
12-21-2023, 03:27 AM
Drowosek - I'm curious as to what is wrong with 293mps? A quick look up says the speed of sound at 20C is 1235 km/hr (343 m/s). If my research and math is correct, tip speed would be about 85% sos. That's pretty much at the limit of efficiency for most propellers but it also isn't the cruise speed.

The point is that the translational velocity is added to the circumferential velocity. In addition, the velocity of local currents due to the streamline of the profile is always greater. Local compaction jumps appear, noise and power losses increase sharply. Therefore, the circumferential speed is usually limited to 220 m/s, 240 in extreme case. Of course, the saber-shaped blade shape partially mitigates the negative effects of the sweep.