PDA

View Full Version : LED Wingtip Lights for $150

Skipatrol
01-21-2019, 08:30 AM
Recently I added 5 LED lights to my Kitfox, 2 facing forward, 2 on the wingtips and 1 on the rudder. Cost was $150 including shielded cable. The lights have aluminum backs and come with 4 wires: power, ground, mode (19 different modes), and synchronize. There is no external power supply and the flashing modes are built into the lights. All wingtip lights are synchronized and very bright. Bonus: no interference with my radio system. Very happy with the LEDs that I bought online at Superbrightleds. Here is a short video showing the lights https://youtu.be/ku45Shk5hDE

Bartman1959
01-21-2019, 08:58 AM
Nice setup. How is the controller able to separate the different colors for the nav lights?

Skipatrol
01-21-2019, 09:10 AM
You can order lights with split colors. I ordered one that is red/white for 1 wingtip, but they don't have a green/white light, so I will use translucent green paint on half of the other light.

Bartman1959
01-21-2019, 09:28 AM
Okay, thanks.

Rodney
01-21-2019, 04:04 PM
Very Nice.

Went to their web site and lots to choose from.

Could you possible supply part numbers??

Also, what did you use on your wingtips (forward facing lights) for a clear cover?

Thank you
Rodney

DesertFox4
01-21-2019, 04:20 PM
Try here for splits including split greens.
https://www.extremetacticaldynamics.com/elemental-four-tir-led-grille-and-surface-mount-light-four-multi-pack-p-365.html

Skipatrol
01-21-2019, 05:51 PM
Very Nice.

Went to their web site and lots to choose from.

Could you possible supply part numbers??

Also, what did you use on your wingtips (forward facing lights) for a clear cover?

Thank you
Rodney

P-STRB-1RW18: Red/White
P-STRB-1W18: White
MSTRB-360-R: 360 Degree Red
Keep in mind that only the same lights can be synced. However, the red/white and white/white will synch with only 2 modes out of 19 not syncing. The wingtips came with clear plastic lenses, don't know if they are lexan or acrylic since they were provided by prior owner.

PaulSS
01-21-2019, 05:53 PM
How strict are they in the States for the direction on lights on experimental aircraft because, fairly obviously, those red lights don't 'shine' from forward through to 110 degrees aft?

I think if I were doing the same thing I would have the red portion of the lights towards the leading edge (and green likewise), instead of the white followed by red. After all, standard lights will be red/green to the sides and white to the rear.

It's great that these things are reducing in price and we can do so much more on so little power.

Skipatrol
01-21-2019, 06:16 PM
I didn't think about the red/white direction. I can unscrew and swap ends on that light. We don't have to to use certified lights here in USA on experimentals. I looked at the cost of certified lights and couldn't believe how expensive they were. I am estimating 160 degree visibility on these lights.

Esser
01-21-2019, 08:03 PM
Just be careful with position lights. That is one item on your aircraft that had to meet a standard. I was looking at making some after I finished my landing lights but it was too difficult to meet the standard.

The best bet for price on aviation nav/stribes is Avio (Not Aveo) $300US for a pair

DesertFox4
01-21-2019, 08:07 PM
Experimental aircraft may not have to use certified lighting but I will assume that the lights used must meet the the same requirements written in the F.A.R.s regarding aircraft lighting for night flight.

Using these type lights for enhanced recognition seems reasonable after F.A.R.s for night flight lighting are met. In 50 plus years of flying I don’t ever recall seeing flashing nav lights and assume they would not meet the standard. I also personally would not use any color flashing light facing forward other than white and maybe amber but am not sure on the legality of amber either.

Curious what others think about other than white recognition lights. I think about how Draco is lit and all, other than nav lights, are white and face all directions. No way you could miss Draco in flight but few of us produce enough electrical power in our Kitfoxs to light all those lights.

Obviously a red flashing beacon is legal on fuselage or vertical stabilizer.

rv9ralph
01-21-2019, 08:31 PM
Experimental aircraft may not have to use certified lighting but I will assume that the lights used must meet the the same requirements written in the F.A.R.s regarding aircraft lighting for night flight.

Steve,
You are correct concerting Nav lights. They do not have to be certified, but they must meet the same specified standards concerning color, lumens and direction of visibility. It is by this range of visibility that you can discern the direction of flight of another aircraft at night, and the other aircraft can determine yours.

Ralph

PaulSS
01-21-2019, 08:37 PM
If it's a day VFR machine in the US do you still have to conform to the light directions i.e 0 - 110 degrees?

I'm not stirring the pot (as you chaps say) but just interested if you have classifications of day/night/VFR/IFR etc that would allow lights such as these, which shine through 180 degrees-ish, instead of the certified directions.

PapuaPilot
01-21-2019, 08:45 PM
We don't have to to use certified lights here in USA on experimentals. I looked at the cost of certified lights and couldn't believe how expensive they were.

This is true only if you don't plan to operate at night. In that case you must have certified (TSO) lights.

rv9ralph
01-21-2019, 08:46 PM
If it's a day VFR machine in the US do you still have to conform to the light directions i.e 0 - 110 degrees?

Position/Nav lights, if installed must comply, regardless of operating conditions. (Day/Night - VFR/IFR) and not flashing.

Aircraft Warning lights are different, I believe they must be either white strobe or red flashing.

Ralph

Frontier Fox
04-17-2019, 09:41 AM
Hey there Kitfox fans,

I am searching for navigation lights and like the Avio Ultra 360. My only concern is the payment options available from Avio. Choices are a wire transfer or credit card. I get a little antsy using a credit card for overseas transactions. Has anyone dealt with Avio? Any problems?

Also, as long as I’m thinking about lights, what about landing lights? I upgraded my wing tips but the space is limited for landing lights ( Microsun is off the table, too speedy). I found off road lights that will work from Baja Design, BD S2 Pro, flush mount. What have others used? Just looking for options.

Thank you

Esser
04-17-2019, 09:51 AM
No issue with ordering from Avio with a credit card. Europe is a pretty safe bet. Your credit card provider most likely already has fraud protection in place at no cost to you.

I'm happy with my Avio, I made my own landing light. Much brighter and lighter than most options I've seen out there. Here is a picture for comparison (Both planes had wig wag on so only one light is shining in the picture.

The white plane has Baja Design S2's

Esser
04-17-2019, 09:54 AM
Some other angles.

Skipatrol
04-18-2019, 08:16 AM
Hey there Kitfox fans,

I am searching for navigation lights and like the Avio Ultra 360. My only concern is the payment options available from Avio.
I have been really happy with the lights I purchased from Superbrightleds. I looked on their website and they also have lights for off road vehicles that would work as landing lights https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/vehicle-bulbs-for-off-road-commercial-truck-and-recreational-vehicles/

efwd
04-18-2019, 01:45 PM
I love my AeroLEDs. They happen to be a sponsor of this forum as well.

Frontier Fox
04-18-2019, 09:37 PM
Esser

Do you still have the landing lights for sale? How are they holding up?

Esser
04-19-2019, 12:00 PM
They are working great. I sent you a private message

Pmcc
04-19-2019, 02:08 PM
what nav lights did you put in?

Frontier Fox
04-19-2019, 07:12 PM
I went ahead and ordered from Avio. I was going to use my credit card but was able to use PayPal, a little safer in today’s online transactions. Ordered the Navigator Ultra 360’s.