PDA

View Full Version : poor man's bluetooth headset

airlina
01-16-2019, 03:11 PM
I have struggled with a way to utilize the audio alerts from the samsung tablet I use for navigation in my airplane until now. With the app I use as with most apps an obstacle alert is generated when towers are ahead, and now that I have ADSB installed (Uavionix) traffic alerts are also generated . I have tried several ways to get these alerts reliably in my old DRE 6000 headsets . These headsets are ANR and work great, so replacing them with a $1000 bluetooth capable new headset did not set right with my budget, so as a true homebuilder , I tried several ways to get the audio into my headset with ear buds , and even a small bluetooth speaker suction cupped to the outside of my headset. The problem was always lack of volume and comfort. Then Eureka , I found this JUMBL STEREO BLUETOOTH RECEIVER on amazon for about 20 bucks and it works great. It plugs into the 1/8" music input plug on my intercom system and will bluetooth my tablet audio thru the intercom into my headset with volume control that allow the alerts/music to be heard loud and clear . As you can see in the photo its about the size of a 50 cent piece and has volume/audio controls on the front with a clip on the back. the only negative I have found is that it can only recognize one device at a time. Bruce N199CL

bbs428
01-17-2019, 09:12 AM
Wow - great info. Appreciate the post!

hiline
01-17-2019, 09:31 AM
That is great thanks for sharing.
I'm going to get this and try it!

airlina
01-17-2019, 11:33 AM
Just got home from flying this morning . No sooner than I departed my country airstrip and was climbing out I got a traffic advisory loud and clear at 12 oclock and 1 mile ahead . Before the bluetooth receiver these aural warning would go unheard and i would have had to seen the traffic on the tablet. I don't fly staring at the tablet so the aural advisories and alerts are a huge bonus to making the operation safer. For 20 bucks a pretty sweet upgrade. Forgot to mention in my initial post that all you really need is the ability to plug the jumbl in to your headset thru a 1/8" plug and you are good to go , for instance if you don't have a music input to an intercom like i do . I had an old cheapo corded music headset at home that I plugged into the bluetooth receiver and it worked fine at bluetoothing to devices. Bruce N199CL

DesertFox4
01-17-2019, 12:07 PM
Thanks Bruce. I took a look on Amazon. Looks like a very low cost solution.:cool::cool:
Not much of a gamble at that price.

airlina
01-17-2019, 03:49 PM
Thanks Bruce. I took a look on Amazon. Looks like a very low cost solution.:cool::cool:
Not much of a gamble at that price.

Hi Steve, My thoughts exactly, if it didn't work I wasn't out much, but I am very happy with its simplicity and function so far. On a side note thank you for your efforts with the new format and fixes on Teamkitfox-its great to be able to attach pictures easily again. As I always did , builders like pictures-keeps me from having to do a ton of one finger typing! Bruce N199CL

DesertFox4
01-17-2019, 04:15 PM
its great to be able to attach pictures easily again
Amen Bruce. Still working the kinks out and may be for awhile. This upgrade was like going from a model T to a Tesla.

ken nougaret
01-20-2019, 03:49 PM
Excellent idea Bruce. I have a similar unit plugged into my garage stereo that I have used for years. The stereo is old but I made a lead that plugs in the back aux ports.
What intercom do you have? I have an old pm1000 in my plane and it doesn't have an input port.
Ken

airlina
01-21-2019, 04:13 AM
Howdy Ken, I have the basic PS engineering PM 501 (i suspect even more basic than your PM 1000) that I installed when I built the plane long ago. I looked up your PM 1000 and it looks very similar to my PM 501,and after looking at your wiring diagram (googled it) , you have the capability for a music input . Its any easy addition on pin 20 and 7 of the Sub -D ,back of intercom plug, 2 wires supplying a 1/8" female music jack that I placed next to my headset jacks. Then the bluetooth receiver plugs into this to provide the bluetooth capability thru the intercom. Hope this helps Bruce N199CL

ken nougaret
01-21-2019, 05:30 AM
Sounds good Bruce, I'll look it up. BTW, I'm liking my new tires.

airlina
01-21-2019, 03:43 PM
Glad they found a good home Ken, Bruce