PDA

View Full Version : Cold air from the tail

fastfred
01-14-2019, 09:17 AM
I have been battling with the cold air hitting us in the back of the neck. I have put a curtain up behind the seat and put the brush weather stripping in the trim slot and flapperon slot. Anyone have any new tricks?

efwd
01-14-2019, 09:41 AM
have you plugged the holes at the aft wing spar/air frame attachment?

fastfred
01-14-2019, 09:46 AM
I have some but am gonna do more there. Problem is I fold the wings so nothing permanent stays in and it is too cold to tape it everytime.

Esser
01-14-2019, 10:25 AM
Cut some sections of sponge that you can jam in the spar holes. Even though you have a curtain, try to block the holes in the rear as much as possible. My tail inspection cover has a foam gasket all the way around so air doesn't ram into there. I found the other day cruising around in -20C that air was coming from the top where the turtle deck and skylight meet. Not sure how your curtain is set up but that could use a better foam gasket or if you velcroed your curtain to the angle, if you had it sp it was pushed up tight in that corner would make a difference.

Another huge one is the seal where the wing butts against the butt rib. You fold your wings so you don't want anything that will make a mess but try putting painters tape down that seam and see if it helps. I have one inch gorilla tape on that seam.

fastfred
01-14-2019, 10:57 AM
Some more good ideas. I think I will go to the hanger and pull the tail covers. not sure I can find thin enough foam I wonder if engine gasket would work?
It is suppose to warm up later in the week so I can get out side and work on it.
here is one for you I always wondered why the corners of the roof are turned up and open is there a reason for that? Also why don't cap the holes over the bolts?
It was -14 c when I got back last night at dark. -6 c is my personal limit but man was it nice clear and smooth. I am gonna have to learn to fly it all over again when The DA goes back to positive:)

Esser
01-14-2019, 11:26 AM
The corners are turned up so when you fold the wings they don't get caught. They might be up more than they need to be.

For my rear covers, I got foam that was about 3/8" by 3/8" but I could squish it down to almost nothing. I thought it was a little too thick but after I put it on I think it's just right as it fills the gap on the curved parts. I just went to an industrial supply place similar to Acklands and looked at automotive weather stripping.

I never put holes over my bolts. I just figured if I ever need to take the wings off, I can unbolt the top of the sky light enough to get at it. It would be pretty easy to make covers.

fastfred
01-14-2019, 11:48 AM
I have some of that too I wasn't sure it would squish down flat. For those holes I will find some plugs or tape for now. If didn't have to fold it I would tape everything.
Thanks for the ideas.

My buddies are flying skis now I think I wanna get that set up next.