PDA

View Full Version : Model 4 Fuel tanks.

Greg79
01-04-2019, 10:15 AM
I have the original 13 gallon wing tanks. they have never been installed or had fuel in them. There is a sticker that says they have been creamed from the factor. I know the cream is life limited. So these are my questions.
1. How long does the cream really last?
2. Do the new tanks from KF need creamed, or just no ethanol fuel?
3. Has anyone installed Aluminum wings tanks?

I have been planning on buying a new set of wing tanks and the aluminum header tank but then I have read that people still have issues with mogas and ethanol messing with the tanks which got me thinking that if the Rotax motors will run on mogas why haven't I seen metal wing tanks anywhere. My next thought is that if the new tanks are going to have issues as well as the old tanks I have maybe I should just clean and re-cream and use them. Thanks!

jmodguy
01-04-2019, 10:44 AM
The newer tanks are made with a fuel resistant resin, or so I was told! I ended up giving my kreem lined tanks away and bought new from Kitfox.
From what I understand, the wings flex too much for aluminum tanks and they crack.

rogerh12
01-04-2019, 02:49 PM
When I was building an RV, it was common for folks to use creamed on the aluminum tanks. However, if not installed on clean metal, the cream would come off and clog the fuel filter. For that reason, Vans stop recommending it, and instead had us just use lots of Proseal at the joints.
So, I guess the real question is, have people been having problems with the stuff coming off glass tanks too? My model 2 didn't have cream installed, but it still clogged up the fuel filter with fiber glass, which had started to come off the inside of the tank, probably due to using alcohol gas.
Roger

DesertFox4
01-04-2019, 06:20 PM
I’d purchase the new tanks from Kitfox Aircraft that are alcohol resistant.
Cream was a solution for, in my opinion, poorly made tanks of that erra. No comparison from those tanks to the ones available today. Of course you will rinse thoroughly the new tanks per the proceedure developed by Kitfox Aircraft and pressure test the tanks prior to install.

Jeff’s correct on the aluminum fuel tanks. Wings flex too much for an aluminum tank and the welds crack. Been tried many times with little if any success.

The aluminum header tank is the right choice.👍

Northof49
01-04-2019, 07:57 PM
I also have the original 13 gallon tanks , with the
Same sticker, stating creamed from factory .I plan on
Rinsing My tanks then Sloshing them with Bill Hirsch
Tank sealer ,from aircraft spruce . I used it on a extra 6
Gallon tank that came with my kit . Filled it with fuel sat for
2 years , then I drained it and cut it in half . I found no evidence
Of the slosh coming off.
Mike

Greg79
01-05-2019, 12:46 AM
What kind of fuel did you fill it with? My understanding is that it's the alcohol in Ethanol that affects the tanks.

Northof49
01-05-2019, 03:34 AM
Greg
I just filled it with midgrade gas from a service station.
Mike .