PDA

View Full Version : SoCal model 4

Pibev23
01-02-2019, 03:15 PM
I'm looking to purchase an avid MK4 out of texas. I live in southern California the owner suggests that I find one near by to make sure I'll fit as he dosent think I will. I'm 6'1" 220 any thoughts or does anyone have one that I could come check out? I'm in Ridgecrest ca

Norm
01-04-2019, 07:54 AM
I am a similar size.5 11 and 210. I flew a Model C Speed Wing for a year while I was rebuilding another plane. It was tight for headroom and did not allow a helmet to be worn. There are some photos of a raised roof on one of the other forums. When I rebuilt my Model IV I had been for a ride with Dessert Fox4 and stole all his ideas for my four. I did the wide body mod, the Az baggage compartment, and speedster tail. The difference in comfort between the Avid and Kitfox is night and day. I think the seatpan makes a huge difference but I also find way more headroom. You will fit in the Mark IV but your comfort may suffer. While I prefer the Kitfox seatpan there are some that think the Avid sling seat is the way to go.
If the Avid is a great deal and in your price point go for it, you can modify it and tailer it to your comfort level. You will fit but you'll have to work at getting it comfortable.
Oh and now that I think of it what is your comfort requirements. Do you drive a high end vehicle with all the bells and whistles or a small three cyl economy vehicle. What is comfortable for some may not be comfortable for me and vice versa.
Good luck with your choice.

avidflyer
01-04-2019, 09:52 AM
If you don't get someone close to you chiming in, try this same question on the AvidFoxFlyers forum. I think that site has more Avid and early Kitfox owners on it then this site. Avid did have a domed windshield that gave some more room for your head. I had an Avid MK IV with that feature on it. I had a company saved in my favorites that would custom make domed skylights to various sizes. They had one that would have fit on the back part of the skylight that would have given about 3" of extra headroom. That PC crashed, and the favorites went with it, and I'm only 5' 8" so I didn't need it, but I think that could be an option for some people. One thing to consider as well is, where is your height coming from? A long legged person may have more problem fitting in the Avid then some one with a longer torso, especially if you raised the skylight area. JImChuk

PS did a bit of google searching, and found this site. First one I looked at so I'm sure there must be others. The 15" X 30" would probably fit close enough, although 5" may be a bit high. They could maybe do a lower one though. Anyway, it's a thought. www.eztopsworldwide.com/skylights.htm

Greg79
01-05-2019, 01:29 AM
I'm 5'11" and think my model 4 fits me nice, but I am in building not flying stage. My friend is about 6' to 6'1" and he fit but I think he would have to pad to be more aware of where his head was than me. I am a couple hours from you in Hanford. If you are up my way you're more than welcome to stop and take a look at it.

Guy Buchanan
01-05-2019, 05:20 PM
We have one down in Ramona, northeast of San Diego, if you get down that way.

mike92104
01-05-2019, 10:10 PM
I'd like to take a look at your model 4 Guy.

efwd
01-05-2019, 10:38 PM
NO you wouldn't.

mike92104
01-05-2019, 10:41 PM
I've seen the pictures. I assume he's talking about a different one. I have a partially built Vixen sitting in a hangar at Ramona.

Guy Buchanan
01-06-2019, 11:26 AM
Awww. You guys spoiled my fun. Gave me a laugh, though. (Much needed.)

The Kitfox in question is a friend's, at KRNM, not mine. You're welcome to come see what's left of mine, though. There isn't much.

As to my friend's, he comes out on Saturdays so we can make arrangements accordingly, if anyone PM's me.

896tr
01-07-2019, 09:32 AM
I do believe Guy has the one of model 4, I just can't remember if it is called the "compact model" or the "expanded model";)