PDA

View Full Version : Looking seriously at a Series 7 Sti

Voyager
12-31-2018, 07:42 PM
I am planning to start a home built project in 2019 having completed (mostly) my workshop a few weeks ago. I am down to two models as the finalists: an S7, probably STi variant, and a Van’s RV-14. Yes, two quite different airplanes, but let me try to add some rationale. Up until a few months ago, the lead contender was a Rotorway A600. :)

I was really hoping to be able to fly off of my own property, but I live in the rolling hills of northern PA so even a short runway is problematic, but I might be able to scratch out 500’. That is why the A600 was the lead candidate initially. I could fly it off my property, and it would be great for $100 hamburger flights, but obviously has no cross-country utility. However, Rotorway’s 50% price increase last year caused me to re-evaluate and the desire for some cross country flying.

I flew an RV-6 20+ years ago, but family and career precluded building then. Retired now, I have the time and probably the money within reason. I still like the RV series and I really like the roomier -14 (I am 6’ and 225). I also like the excellent cross-country capability, but it really needs at least a good grass or gravel runway and the low-wing makes low and slow flying less fun. I learned in Cessnas and owned a C-182 for a number of years and have always been partial to high-wing designs.

The three high-wing designs I have looked at most closely are the Kitfox, Carbon Cub and Bearhawk. I am not a big fan of tandem seating so the Kitfox comes to the top of the list. The fact that the KF is trailerable, mitigates to some degree the airport issue as I can at least store my airplane on my property and save hangar costs. I like its low and slow capability, range of engine options and good downward visibility. I do, however, have a couple of questions/concerns I am hoping to find answers to here in the forum.

1. How roomy is the cockpit for someone of generous size? It looks like it is about the same width as my 182 and the 182 was only really comfortable when flying solo or with a skinny person in the right seat. Two 225 pounders was a little much width-wise. Yes, I know that losing 40 lbs would be a good idea on many fronts. :)

2. How complete is the Kitfox kit compared to such standard bearers as Van’s and the Carbon Cub? Is there a lot of shopping to be done for miscellaneous parts or are the kits pretty complete assuming purchase of most available kits such as firewall forward and such?

Lastly, if any Kitfox owners are located in the northern tier of PA or southern tier of NY, I’d love to see one in person and possibly get a chance to sit in one to experience first hand the cockpit size and shape.

Happy New Year! Hopefully, my start of construction year.

GuppyWN
12-31-2018, 09:04 PM
I bought but will build a Kitfox one day. But, I’m 6’3” 230 and fit fine. I’d take another inch or 2 of legroom but don’t require it. The big reason for that is my throttle is in the panel, not on a sub-panel underneath the main panel.

I sold a 182 and couldn’t be more pleased so far. It’s only been a few months and about 30 hours but I’m ALL IN on this thing.

Bobo
12-31-2018, 09:20 PM
I’m 6’ 3” and 235 lbs with a 34” inseam. I bought my SS7 9 months ago and have had a blast during the 80 I’ve flown it so far. I’ve also flown 3 legs in it over 4 hours each getting it home and only needed to land to empty my bladder, not because I was uncomfortable. There’s enough room for me that I’m comfortable but I will say that I would not want the cockpit any smaller.
If you’re planning to start your STi build in 2019, you should get your order in ASAP. I talked to John McBean a few weeks ago and if I remember right, if you order a kit now, it will take at least a year for you to receive it, but please check with Kitfox directly to be sure.

PropWash
12-31-2018, 11:17 PM
I'm currently under contract to sell my 182 and wanted to build an S7 STI with a 915. Seems like a pretty sweet setup. I called Kitfox a few weeks ago and basically was told the same thing as far as timeline.....a year or so. I'm going to build my 2nd choice which is a carbon cub. They are only about 2 months out for their non factory assist experimental. I'd go nuts waiting a year for a kit! Still love the planes though

Voyager
01-01-2019, 07:31 AM
I did see a note somewhere recently about long lead times. Yes, a year probably takes me off the list also. I would like to start no later than September of this year and certainly before winter.

My wife and I are attending an RV building Sportair workshop later this month and I was hoping to also get into one on fabric so that I had a good feel for the skills required to build both a KF and an RV. However, I see no nearby fabric seminars anytime soon. That would not stop me from placing an order, especially with long lead as that gives time to get the seminar in, but a full-year wait is a long time. Good to hear that KF is selling well.

Thanks for all the comments on fitting into the KF. Those of you who commented are larger than me so that certainly suggests I will fit fine. It did sound like some of your longer flights were solo. Have you ever flown with someone beside you who was also of decent size? I will probably fly mostly with my wife and that will not be a problem, but was just curious how tight a squeeze it would be for two men who are 6’+ and 225 lbs+

I appreciate the size advice and the heads up on the lead time. Looks like I need to talk with KF soon if I want to get on the waiting list. I will finish the workshop on 1/20 and probably make my final KF vs. Vans decision then.

PapuaPilot
01-01-2019, 09:15 AM
Voyager, it seem that you need to define your mission other than just being able to fly. What kind of flying do you like to do or want to do: low & slow, fast, X country, IFR, STOL, grass/paved or just getting the $100 hamburger? Also, ow many seats do you need? The Kitfox and Vans planes (other than the RV-12) are sort of at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Voyager
01-01-2019, 09:37 AM
I like all of the above. :)

I will fly mostly local flights for fun, but would like to do an occasional cross country so having at least 100 MPH cruise speed is desirable. Faster is better for most cross country flying. I would like to fly to Alaska some day, but the reality is that living in PA I will not be doing much real bush flying.

I am IFR certified, though not current at the moment, but since I will not be flying for business any longer, IFR will be used rarely and only to bust through a layer to on top conditions for example. I no longer plan to fly night ILS approaches to minimums. BTDT.

I love a good grass strip and learned to fly on the grass beside the paved runway at N38. Dick Johnston, after whom the airport is now named, said his tires lasted a lot longer on grass with students doing touch and goes all day so he wanted us to use the grass as much as possible. However, the reality is that most airports within 100 NM of me are paved now. Many of the old grass/gravel strips such as Cherry Springs are no more sadly. I am not sure if the current operator of N38 even maintains the parallel grass strip any more.

Two seats is all I need. I will rent if I need more seats. A 4 seat homebuilt would be a waste for me now and is more costly and time consuming to build.

And I prefer high-wing over low as I mentioned earlier. At this point, my plan is to take a Sportair workshop in both aluminum and fabric and decide which I like working with most and then factor that into the equation along with the flying mission and the desire to fly off my own property. An RV definitely would have to be based at an airport, so that is a major negative. A KF probably would have to be flown from an airport, but could be trailered home for storage in my workshop/garage. However, if the short field performance is as good as I read about, there is a chance I could make a runway on my property that would allow same operation of a Kitfox. Probably would have no more than 600’ though.

However, learning now of the 1 year or so lead time is a big negative. Not an easy decision, but I have a few more months to make it. Van’s lead times are in the 2-10 week range for most models and sub kits so I can easily decide by May and start by winter. With a 1 year wait on the KF, another month or three isn’t going to make any difference. I may look at the Carbon Cub again. My only real dislike of that plane is the tandem seating arrangement, but that isn’t a deal breaker just not as nice as the KF. And it seems more costly than the KF, although I think it is a more complete kit so the total completed cost may not be all that much different.

Who knows, if the recession deepens this year, as I suspect it will, KF may see some cancellations and some early deliver dates may come into play.

jmodguy
01-01-2019, 06:24 PM
Take a look at the Rans S-21. Not sure what the delivery schedule is but it seems like a very capable aircraft. Will handle engines from 912 to the 340

Rodney
01-01-2019, 07:38 PM
Is the year long lead time for any Kitfox or just the STI??

aviator79
01-01-2019, 09:16 PM
Any Kitfox. A deposit puts you in the same production queue slot regardless of what version you choose.

littlecricket
01-04-2019, 11:34 AM
There is a STi kit for sale at cost on the Kitfox Facebook page.

And, I have a delivery spot in April that I’m considering selling (kitfox doesn’t allow transfer of deposits) to recover my deposit. I’m building a house that puts off my build a few years... if anyone is interested, let me know.

gpl916
02-22-2019, 11:25 AM
And, I have a delivery spot in April that I’m considering selling (kitfox doesn’t allow transfer of deposits) to recover my deposit. I’m building a house that puts off my build a few years... if anyone is interested, let me know.[/QUOTE]