PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Kitfox Fly in

fastfred
12-24-2018, 10:09 AM
I see Cub fly ins all over. Is anyone interested in a Kitfox Fly in In upstate Ny? I am located between Albany and Syracuse . We have a few small airports around me including where I am hangered at 6B4. 1NK7 is also near by and is a RAF airport. It is very scenic with rolling hills to Mtns.

Bobo
12-24-2018, 08:12 PM
I would be interested!

airlina
12-25-2018, 05:30 AM
Hi Fred, I'd be in for a Kitfox fly in and think Boonville would be a pretty cool place to have it. For those unfamiliar with the area , Boonville is on the southwest side of the Adirondack Park which is a huge 2,000,000 acre beautiful park in upstate New York. (as close as us folks out East can get to a mini Idaho.) Would be a very scenic venue to have a fly-in. It is a private strip, do you have an in with the owner to get permission? Think I met you at Sentimental journey in Lock Haven last summer , where we were the red headed step children with our Kitfoxes amidst all those Pipers! Bruce N199CL

jonstark
12-25-2018, 11:10 AM
I’m over in western MA. Would love to get together especially if there are some grass strip fly-outs.

Jon
Turners Falls, MA

Dorsal
12-26-2018, 07:58 AM
Count me in

fastfred
12-26-2018, 08:31 AM
I do know the people at Boonville and the liaison for The RAF is my local instructor. It is listed as private but is an RAF airport so I don't think permission is needed to land there? I did meet you at Sentimental journey but I had to upgrade to a green one this year. I am also flying all winter.

airlina
12-26-2018, 09:31 AM
Hey Fred what is the RAF? Bruce N199CL

fastfred
12-26-2018, 09:40 AM
The Recreational aviation foundation. They are a non profit that takes on air strips to help maintain and preserve them.

culater
12-26-2018, 10:08 PM
How about a spot that also has a seaplane base? I have floats on my IV in the summer and would like to splash in and join the fun...

fastfred
12-27-2018, 12:26 PM
I am not sure where there is a combo seaplane and normal airport around here.

jonstark
12-27-2018, 02:09 PM
How about Basin Harbor?

David McCormick
12-27-2018, 02:10 PM
71N & SPB Sunbury,Pa has both Turf runway & seaplane waterway, EAA769 has flyin lunch 1st Saturday Summer Months

Dorsal
12-28-2018, 09:37 AM
How about Basin Harbor?

Love Basin Harbor, really nice campground basically on site.

fastfred
12-28-2018, 01:58 PM
Ok So far
I have contacts near the Adirondacks in Boonvile NY. ( you could park a float plane about 1/2 hour away)
Jon Stark can help with Basin Harbor which is on Lake Champlain near Canada and has Seaplane access.
David Mcormick Can get us into 71N & SPB Sunbury,Pa which has floatplane access on the Susquehanna River.

Let's get some Voting on these locations

airlina
12-28-2018, 03:19 PM
I think to get a feel for these airports , those of you who have knowledge of what they can offer would be helpful to the rest of us . Stuff like :do they allow overnight tent camping , nearby place to eat, restrooms etc . Would help make a more informed decision . Hard to find much information especially if they are private strips, so your insider information will help. Thanks Bruce N199CL

fastfred
12-28-2018, 03:38 PM
Boonville does allow camping out as we have some other flyins every year in fact we might plan it for the same weekend as the RAF gathering. They normally have a cook out. We would have to get a ride into town for anything else. We could also fly to other fields for some meals like Lake Placid for example.

airlina
12-29-2018, 03:35 PM
Thanks Fred, I was thinking the same about a fly out day to lake placid. The airport is close to town and they have a shuttle to and from the airport. Bruce N199CL

Dorsal
12-29-2018, 08:50 PM
FWIW, Basin Harbor has a restaurant on the field and camping very nearby. It is not very close to a town, I'm game for anyplace :D

tracstarr
12-30-2018, 03:15 PM
I'm not far just being North of the border in Ottawa. Just need a few more months to finish up - but count me in.

fastfred
12-31-2018, 08:14 AM
Have you ever flown back and forth across the border ? Is that difficult ? I want to fly into Canada But I hear all kinds of rumors about experimental and LSA not being allowed. I am not LSA licensed but my plane is LSA.

fastfred
12-31-2018, 08:29 AM
Maybe for this first time We can do The Boonville airport and combine it with The RAF event there. You can camp under the plane and there is usually a barbeque. we can fly to Basin harbor and maybe Pa. to check them out.
This might work out better if there is only a handful of us. Float planes can land at my camp and drive over .

SO far we have 2 votes for Boonville 1 for Harbor Basin and 1 for Pa. and one I don't care.

Please send us your vote.

David McCormick
12-31-2018, 11:33 AM
Another great place to have Eastern flyin is at SentimentalJourney in LockHaven Pennsylvania KLHV they have camping,food vendors, & nightly entertainment it’s in June www.sentimentaljourney-in.com also the Piper Museum is there.

Flybyjim
12-31-2018, 11:45 AM
I like Dave's spot in Lock Haven, there is food, there are showers, food, vendors, food, not far to downtown if some want a hotel for a night. Lots of grass fields all around for fly-outs. Lock Haven has both hard surface and grass.

tracstarr
12-31-2018, 11:47 AM
Have you ever flown back and forth across the border ? Is that difficult ? I want to fly into Canada But I hear all kinds of rumors about experimental and LSA not being allowed. I am not LSA licensed but my plane is LSA.

I have not yet. I don't know about US registered lsa/experimental coming this way, but i'm pretty sure for me going into the US I only need to have a form filled out and on board - which allows me to fly my 'amateur built ' plane (kitfox) across the border. Which is a streamlined SFA (https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/sfa/). And at the bottom it actually says there is a reciprocal agreement. So, it shouldn't be too difficult. You'd just have to land and clear customs.

efwd
12-31-2018, 12:13 PM
It has been my understanding that it is the Light Sport Pilot License that is not accepted in Canada. All the aircraft are, provided it is at least a Private Pilot who is piloting it.

airlina
12-31-2018, 01:44 PM
Another great place to have Eastern flyin is at SentimentalJourney in LockHaven Pennsylvania KLHV they have camping,food vendors, & nightly entertainment it’s in June www.sentimentaljourney-in.com also the Piper Museum is there.

The more I think about it this is a great idea. I usually fly to this event every year and find it to be a relaxed old fashioned type of fly- in, with all we would need. Its easy to get in and out of the airfield whenever you choose, there is camping under the wing (showers and port a potties) or hotels, food on the field (also a corn roast in the evening as I recall) , the Piper museum is a short walk away on the field. It runs from Tuesday thru Saturday , so if weather is a factor , we have better options . Also if we find out these Kitfox get togethers are a good idea , we could do another later summer or fall at one of the other spots. Even though we will be vastly outnumbered by Pipers of course, they are an accepting group of aviators Fred, you were the instigator of this thread , what say you? Bruce N199CL

Esser
01-01-2019, 08:12 PM
It has been my understanding that it is the Light Sport Pilot License that is not accepted in Canada. All the aircraft are, provided it is at least a Private Pilot who is piloting it.

It’s the medical issue. 99% sure you can operate an LSA with a lightsport license as long as you have a class three medical.

Edit: just looked it up and the don’t recognize the light Sport certificate so you need a private pilot license. Seems odd to me as your light Sport certificate would be very similar to our recreational license.

fastfred
01-02-2019, 11:26 AM
I plan on going Again.

fastfred
01-02-2019, 11:29 AM
SO I am good there. How about any special equipment required.
I imagine I would just need to stop at an airport for the customs. I wonder if you can call like with a boat?
Do I have to always file a flight plan while flying in Ca.?

fastfred
01-02-2019, 12:37 PM
I was thinking something besides sentimental Journey . Later in the year. We are going to fly to the Ice airport in New Hampshire in the next few weeks if anyone is interested

Esser
01-02-2019, 07:00 PM
SO I am good there. How about any special equipment required.
I imagine I would just need to stop at an airport for the customs. I wonder if you can call like with a boat?
Do I have to always file a flight plan while flying in Ca.?

AOPA and COPA have put out a good guide for border crossing. You will have more issues going back to the states than coming to Canada. You will have to stop at a point of entry, have them notified head of time, and have a flight plan for crossing the border.

In Canada you don't NEED a flight plan but you need to at least file a flight itinerary with a responsible person. IE, if they don't hear from you, can't get ahold of you, they know how to get the ball rolling for SAR.

Dorsal
01-03-2019, 10:53 AM
I was thinking something besides sentimental Journey . Later in the year. We are going to fly to the Ice airport in New Hampshire in the next few weeks if anyone is interested

Let me know when you are headed up? I recommend a reasonably calm day :)

fastfred
01-03-2019, 10:57 AM
Calm is the only way I fly. LOL It should open in the next few weeks. Ill let you know. I got in my first lake landing yesterday at my camp in the Adirondacks it was very calm.

fastfred
06-10-2019, 07:50 PM
There will be a RAF fly in and safety seminar at the Boonvile ny airport(1NK7) on 8/23 to 8/25. Camping is available . It would be a good place to make a Kitfox showing

Dorsal
06-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Will put it on my calendar :D

fastfred
06-11-2019, 03:19 PM
Did you see on the RAF calender you can email our RAF guy if you want reserve a spot?

airlina
06-12-2019, 03:24 PM
on my calendar too Fred, Bruce N199CL

fastfred
06-13-2019, 06:32 AM
Are you going to Sentimental journey

CoClimber
06-13-2019, 10:02 AM
I plan to drive down, probably on Wednesday as that currently looks like the best weather day. I'd fly my KF2 but it is torn apart in my barn, and I have yet to get my PPL. :-) Would be great to see some Kitfoxes there. Doug

fastfred
06-13-2019, 10:19 AM
what day are you going down?

airlina
06-13-2019, 01:54 PM
Fred ,planning on sentimental journey, will be weather dependent leaning toward the end of the week with an overnite under the wing. Bruce N199CL

fastfred
06-14-2019, 08:06 AM
Yeah weather is not looking great but let me know maybe we can coordinate

CoClimber
06-19-2019, 05:46 AM
My wife and I will be there Friday. I hope at least one of you make it. My only experience with a Kitfox is the Model II in my barn and I wouldn't mind seeing one that actually flies!

fastfred
06-19-2019, 08:26 AM
Weather not looking good. We'll see what airlina does as he is a little farther than me. I know there at least one kitfox down there already because he lives there.

airlina
06-19-2019, 04:52 PM
Fred, Keeping my eye on friday weather to head to LHV. I suspect they may get soaked tomorrow, so we'll have to see what condition the field is in as well . Bruce

Swingwing
06-19-2019, 06:32 PM
I plan to fly in Friday evening with my two daughters to camp for the night. I am currently looking for a Kitfox project and would love to talk about them. I know I have a lot to learn. My plane is a blue, silver and white Cessna 182.Track me down if you are there.

Thanks, Nick

airlina
06-21-2019, 07:04 AM
Looks like Saturday is the good weather day for sentimental journey, (last day of the event) Going to try for an early start and get in there before 9am. Bruce N199CL