PDA

View Full Version : pre-covering check list

Flybyjim
12-24-2018, 05:48 AM
I am about to cover the fuselage any pre-covering advise?

Bud Davidson
12-24-2018, 09:51 AM
I am sure you will get this message in many forms.
My two homebuilt experiences suggest ALL systems need to be permanently installed and adjusted/tested before covering. Otherwise adjustments and changes will be through inspection openings, not convenient.

jiott
12-24-2018, 10:45 AM
All tailcone wiring (trim actuator, lights, etc.), pitot static tubing, center elevator bellcrank lube and torque, ELT and its antenna mounting, ADHRS unit if mounting it behind baggage area, extended baggage floorboards, rudder cables. The pitot static port and tubing connection can be done after covering the fuse bottom and sides, but BEFORE covering the top.

jrevens
12-24-2018, 11:01 AM
I had pretty much everything done before covering, Jim. However, my static source is located with the pitot tube on the wing, so that wasn’t a consideration for the fuselage side skins.

Flybyjim
12-25-2018, 06:25 AM
Merry Christmas to all of you.

Thank you for the replies, yes I have checked all systems linkages, jam nuts, wiring to the trim motor and it's mounting, wires to the trim indicator, wires and access to all things G3X related.
I think i am ready.

Dave S
12-25-2018, 10:59 AM
Jim,

The backup "plan B" is called "Airplane Yoga"

Don't ask me how I know that:o

GWright6970
12-25-2018, 04:00 PM
Make darn sure you have ALL antennas identified, and the antenna based installed.

Esser
12-25-2018, 05:15 PM
If I went back in time I would add 12" to the fuselage and an extended baggage door. But hey, that's just me

Meyer
12-25-2018, 09:06 PM
What is the list of all things G3X related? I assume ADHRS, OAT, magnetometer in wing, pitot? I am going the G3X route and trying to map all of this out. Apparently at the factory they put all or most of that in after they cover. They must have a production formula established to pull that off.

Flybyjim
12-25-2018, 09:37 PM
The main items for pre-covering of the fuselage for the G3X are pitch servo mount and harness, elt mount antenna mount and access to hooking the harness on the main unit. The roll servo has good access after covering but I do have this hooked up already. I bought my harness from SteinAir.

Agfoxflyer
12-26-2018, 08:13 AM
On my plane it looked like the outboard bottom seat belt attached tab, the bolt would be difficult to get in place. I epoxied it in place before covering.

PapuaPilot
12-26-2018, 08:23 AM
What is the list of all things G3X related? I assume ADHRS, OAT, magnetometer in wing, pitot? I am going the G3X route and trying to map all of this out.

That is correct, including the autopilot stuff if you have it. Have your wiring run or planned where it will go. I ran my wing wiring all the way from the cockpit to the wingtips with out any connectors (additional points of failure). You can pull the harness through the rear spar, so it doesn't need to be installed yet, just thought through.

I pre rigged my flaps and ailerons all the way to the mixer. The only thing left to do was to set the lengths and connect the two vertical push rods to the flaperons. I think I was also able to rig the elevator so only one pushrod up front was left to do later. The bottom line is to find anything that is going to be difficult to reach once the plane is covered, which is primarily in the tail section and inside the wings.