PDA

View Full Version : Brake Line transition

Maverick
12-22-2018, 09:48 AM
I am wondering about a different way to make the transition of the brake lines from the interior to the exterior of the fabric. The builder's manual for the KF5 calls for a grommet. This option doesn't seem to be all that great to me so, I'm wondering if others have come up with another option.

My first thought was to use some .016 aluminum sheet and make a circular plate and glue it to the interior side of the fabric to hold the fittings in place. Anyone else got any ideas about this?

Thanks,
Maverick

Dave S
12-22-2018, 10:34 AM
Maverick,

Assuming you are talking about the Grove Gear?

I made the fabric penetration by burning a hole the same size as the line through the fabric where it crossed a fabric tape (so there are two layers) close to the fuselage wall and fairly close to the hinge point of the gear - then pointing the line inboard towards the fitting. After all was in place I formed up some red RTV on the inside of the fabric around the line. I like this better because the line does not have to go through the grommet in a perpendicular fashion - it can go through the fabric at an angle. That has held up well for a bit over 10 years now.

One thing which is critical is to make the penetration as close to the attach point of the gear legs because there is lots more movement as you move away from the hinge point to the center of the gear. Even where the fitting goes into the grove gear there is quite a bit of vertical movement.

I'd be a little leery of a metal grommet because of the potential for chafing the line - again - lots of movement in this area.

rtc183
12-22-2018, 10:43 AM
I used one of the many seaplane grommets I had for all the drain holes in the fabric. The hole is the right size for the brake line and if you loop the hose around under the center console it will come out parallel with the gear leg close to the center line. Easy and cheap.

colospace
12-22-2018, 03:38 PM
I used the same fairings as used for the rudder cable penetration.

jmodguy
12-23-2018, 05:43 AM
I used these. Should be available at your local hobby shop too.
https://www.amazon.com/Du-Bro-Lazer-Pushrod-Exits-DUB502/dp/B0043XAS5W
You can make a large plate from sheet styrene (2” circle) and fuse the 2 together with acetone.

Maverick
12-23-2018, 08:51 AM
These are great. Thanks for the solution. I ordered a set already.