PDA

View Full Version : push/pull tubes

Flybyjim
12-21-2018, 07:31 PM
Looking at covering soon and I was wondering what others have done for access to the rear bell crank.

jrevens
12-21-2018, 07:38 PM
Jim,

Circular access hole with cover plate on the bottom. It might be handy to have a second one on the side, but for lubrication and inspection the one is enough. Nice thing about Oratex is that I could easily add another without having to worry about paint. When I was painting parts, I painted a few extra covers.

Flybyjim
12-21-2018, 08:15 PM
Thank you John, I was thinking more about the final rigging to adjust the jam nuts and the need to get two small wrenches in there.

HighWing
12-21-2018, 08:28 PM
Jim,

Circular access hole with cover plate on the bottom. It might be handy to have a second one on the side...

I painted with Aerothane and put several of the access cover rings in places where I thought I might need additional access. They are virtually invisible and they can be made operational at any time simply by cutting out the fabric and inserting a cover - pre painted as John suggests.

Shadowrider
12-21-2018, 09:31 PM
Thank you John, I was thinking more about the final rigging to adjust the jam nuts and the need to get two small wrenches in there.

I rigged before covering. I set the throws and adjust linkages to accomadate autopilot. I am also using Oratex so if or when I need access I can put one in. But I had read someone else suggested rigging elevator before covering.

jiott
12-21-2018, 10:32 PM
You can roughly rig the elevator before covering, then after cover for final rigging you won't need to access the rod ends at the rear bell crank (just be sure to tighten the jamb nuts before you cover). There will be plenty of adjustment range at the forward and rearward ends of the push-pull tube. You still need a round access cover on the bottom like John said for annual inspection and lube.

efwd
12-22-2018, 08:26 AM
Or you can be a small guy and crawl down the fuse to do the work. Im getting older now and I think I may be putting the inspection panel on in a few more years. ;)

SilverFox5
04-10-2022, 08:04 AM
Jim,

Circular access hole with cover plate on the bottom. It might be handy to have a second one on the side, but for lubrication and inspection the one is enough. Nice thing about Oratex is that I could easily add another without having to worry about paint. When I was painting parts, I painted a few extra covers.
Anyone know what lubricant Kitfox recommends to use on the push pull tube? Or is just the Teflon bushing good without lubricant?

Joe Leeman
KF5
Wisconsin

DesertFox4
04-10-2022, 08:43 AM
LPS-1 on all push/pull Heims joints, control pivots, pedals, flapperon brackets. Doesn’t attract dirt. Lock-ease also works very well. Used both for years with good results. Actually lean toward the Lock-Ease last 5 years or so. Always easy to find locally.

Product OverviewThe greaseless lubricant that penetrates quickly, displaces moisture and will not attract dust or dirt.Safe on paint, fabric and most plastics.

Dry film lubricant
Provides a dry, thin, lubricating film
Resists oil, dust and dirt build-up
Ideal for delicate mechanisms
Removes carbon build-up from surfaces
Displaces moisture

Product OverviewLock-Ease Graphited Lock Fluid Protects against sticking, rust and freezing. AGS Lock-Ease makes locks work easier year-round. Helps seal out moisture from working parts, providing maximum protection against freezing. The special ?carrier? then evaporates, leaving a graphited long-wearing film. After evaporation, it will not run, even in hottest climates and won?t harden at sub-zero temps. Suggested applications: all types of locks, household appliances, tools, guns, reels and other fine mechanisms.

Protects against sticking, rust and freezing
Enters as a rapid penetrant, coating lock mechanism
Rapidly penetrates, coating all lock parts

jiott
04-10-2022, 04:23 PM
I thought the build manual calls for Tri-Flow lubricant for all rod ends. Am I wrong?

airlina
04-10-2022, 04:58 PM
Anyone know what lubricant Kitfox recommends to use on the push pull tube? Or is just the Teflon bushing good without lubricant?

Joe Leeman
KF5
Wisconsin

I see that Joe is asking about a Series 5 which has a phenolic (plastic) bearing/bushing that the elevator torque tube goes thru about mid fuselage back in the airframe. Joe if that is what you're asking about I use a dab of white lithium grease on the tube where it slides thru this bearing. Not sure , but I believe on the newer models this bearing has been eliminated. Bruce N199CL

SilverFox5
04-11-2022, 04:03 AM
Yes the KF5 has a plastic bushing half way back. That is what I am asking about. But I would be concerned using anything that would collect dust or dirt. If I get a chance today I will contact Kitfox and ask.

Joe Leeman
KF5

PapuaPilot
04-11-2022, 12:40 PM
Agreed, LPS-1 or Triflow are at the top of my list. Grease in the wrong place attracts dirt & water and accelerates wear.

I lube the plastic bushing on my KF-5 annually. When I use up my can of LPS-1 I will be switching to Triflow.

jrevens
04-11-2022, 10:50 PM
I would use LPS-1 on plastic bearings, as per Kitfox recommendations. Tri-Flow on metal to metal.