PDA

View Full Version : 3 letter identifier

ken nougaret
12-02-2018, 04:32 PM
I occasionally fly into class bravo when i fly to work. When leaving i contact departure and they have asked me for my 3 letter identifier. I said FOX. They always take a long time getting back to me. I havent asked if my answer satisfied them but they let me go. Anyone else have experience with this? Are they just perplexed by an experimental in their airspace?

Delta Whisky
12-02-2018, 06:49 PM
Ken - I'll have to admit my ignorance- never heard of a 3 letter identifier. If someone knows what they are, please let the unwashed in on the secret.

Dave S
12-02-2018, 07:06 PM
FAA defines this as an "Aircraft Type Designator" and it is listed in order 7360.1 - current version c

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/2017-10-16_Order_7360.1C_Aircraft_Type_Designators.pdf

Here you go - see bottom of page 308 of 619 in this PDF by code FOX I believe this is the most recent issue of this order.

Page 82 0f 619 lists by manufacturer. Note that the manufacturer listing also includes a few other aircraft as "FOX".

(https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/2017-10-16_Order_7360.1C_Aircraft_Type_Designators.pdf)

jiott
12-02-2018, 08:48 PM
I have used "FOX" several times with ATC and they always hesitate, but always accept it. I believe when you submit a flight plan FOX goes in one of the required fields.

ken nougaret
12-03-2018, 07:40 AM
Excellent. Thanks for that information.

Kitfox Guy
12-03-2018, 10:27 AM
I occasionally fly into class bravo when i fly to work. When leaving i contact departure and they have asked me for my 3 letter identifier. I said FOX. They always take a long time getting back to me. I havent asked if my answer satisfied them but they let me go. Anyone else have experience with this? Are they just perplexed by an experimental in their airspace?

I fly in and around Class Bravo airspace too. I have had the same experience as I too use the Code Fox. I suspect the delay in getting back to you might be the time needed to enter your data into their computer system. I have noticed that when they ask for the three digit aircraft identifier, those flights tend to show up on the public flight tracking websites like flightaware.

jiott
12-03-2018, 11:00 AM
When I first started flying near our class C airspace I got asked for that type identifier often. Now years later I almost never get asked for it. I suspect they have it stored with my N number, or maybe its because I have ADS-B out.

Delta Whisky
12-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Thanks Dave, most interesting.

It's good to know of course and I'll now be able to answer them if the need ever arises but now for a (legalistic kind of) technical question - I wonder how they would expect the pilot to know the answer?