PDA

View Full Version : Any SC.org members on here

WWhunter
11-26-2018, 09:33 AM
As the topic asks, are there any SuperCub.org members on here? There is a question on the site where someone is wanting info on KF experience. While I have a couple hours n KF's and recently sold one, I think a member here should log on and give them a reply that is in tune with the true nature of the KF.
Be forewarned!! These guys are just as particular about their SC's as others are on THEIR aircraft. :)

efwd
11-26-2018, 09:37 AM
I'm there but as of yet have nothing to offer as I have not flown my KF yet. Soon!.

PapuaPilot
11-26-2018, 10:42 PM
Be forewarned!! These guys are just as particular about their SC's as others are on THEIR aircraft. :)

Boy, they sure are. I'm not a member or else I might respond and let them know how great a plane the KF is. One person mentioned the lack of STOL performance of the KF. :rolleyes: Granted the standard KF isn't a Just super STOL or 180 HP SC but they do very well on STOL. The KF has a well balanced blend of STOL, cruise speed and useful loading. I remember passing my friend in cruise in his 180 HP Super Cub. I had 10-15 mph over him while burning just over 5 GPH, not 8-9, thank you. ;)

t j
11-27-2018, 09:25 AM
It's probably best to ignore that thread.

DesertFox4
11-27-2018, 10:29 AM
I also read on another popular big tire aircraft site that the Kitfox is a “fad” and paying $30,000.00 for one was crazy.
These 35 year long flash in the pan fads just can’t last so enjoy your Kitfox’ while you can fellas.😢
Soon we’ll all be flying $300,000.00 “Cubs”.

Good advice TJ.👍

Hockeystud87
11-27-2018, 12:03 PM
There are about 20 Cubs I think on the field I fly at, 1 KF ;). Dudes really love their cubs. I have yet to take my KF 4 up against one. I assume my 80hp wouldn't do to bad but some of the lighter fancier ones would probably win.

Hockeystud87
11-27-2018, 01:54 PM
http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?55053-Anyone-fly-a-kit-fox/page2&highlight=Kitfox

The thread if anyone is interested. They're actually not that rough and think give decent opinions in the planes.

aviator79
11-27-2018, 02:35 PM
Hilarious that a super cub pilot would call a Kitfox overpriced. I got my tailwheel endorsement in super cubs when I was 16. The cub is my first true love in aviation. I'm not going to disparage them here or anywhere else. However, $100k buys you a 35-40 year old super cub with a mid time engine and ancient panel. For the cost of a Carbon Cub, You could have an all-the-options 915-equipped STi that will at least very nearly match the Cub's STOL performance and still have enough money left to buy a top-of-the-line RV-9 for when you want a cross-country cruiser.

The cub is a great airplane, but you just can't sit in a cub and call anything else overpriced.

But alas, I may be engaging in the same pointless navel-gazing the guys on that thread are.

efwd
11-27-2018, 02:49 PM
Hmm, I learned about "navel-gazing" from a nuclear engineer. :D Had to look that up.

jrevens
11-27-2018, 04:09 PM
Right on, PapuaPilot, DesertFox4, tj, and aviator79! I have a friend who just ordered a Carbon Cub kit, and I've learned a little about what's in the minds of some of the new builders... many of them are building them strictly to resell at a pretty good profit margin, to people who obviously have a lot more money than I do. For the type of airplane that it is, I think the Kitfox is probably an unbeatable value. A "modern" Cub isn't even in the same league in that regard. I'm glad I have a Kitfox.

aviator79
11-27-2018, 04:26 PM
...strictly to resell at a pretty good profit margin...

Surely you misspelled "solely for education or recreation".;)

Shadowrider
11-29-2018, 08:14 PM
Carbon Cubs are the gold standard IMO. My brother and I where going to partner on one. Instead of getting one carbon cub, we are building two STI’s and still have money left over to fly them.......just sayin🙂

efwd
11-29-2018, 09:14 PM
I hardly think you will regret that decision. Flying partner on trips is a brother. How cool is that. Even if my brother starts a build as he hopes to after retirement, he is in TX. Still No flying buddy.

rosslr
11-29-2018, 09:21 PM
I too like the super cubs for what they are and what they can do. However, we ran a STOL comp at our airfield last year with a few Cubs, a few Savannahs, a Kitfox4, a Eurofox, and a few others. The Savannahs won both the STO and the SFL aspects. The Cubs were a good 20-30m longer of both the TO and L's. The Kitfox was a bit more, but not much. On the same grass strip, I am always off and on and stopped within a 100m at most, ussually less and that is just fine for all my needs.

I have also travelled wth a super cub cross country. They carry more but are slower by about 10-15kts and burn about double the fuel. The seating is not side by side.

They are different aircraft so are difficult to compare unless you have a well defined mission in mind and a clear budget that you want to achieve that mission with. I mean DRACO beats all other STOL planes, but at what cost?

I recommend us not getting into a '****ing contests' with other STOL planes about which is best but recognise they all do certain things well at certain price points. More important to me is that we share knowledge that is generic and that will enhance our flying irrespective of what type of aircraft we fly.

Personally, I am really happy with our KF7 and it has taken us some great adventures with our SC friend and we go all places they go, albeit with slightly less gear. At the cost of a KF7 I reckon we get great value for money.

cheers

ross