PDA

View Full Version : left turning tendencies

Wheels
11-12-2018, 05:08 PM
My model IV has a pretty heavy right rudder to fly straight.
I figured the left wing was a little slow so I took one turn out of the forward strut turnbuckle and added one to the rear. This "washout" adjustment did nothing.
It seemed like it was about 1/16 of an inch on the threaded portion in total adjustment which I thought would yield some change, but ... nope. Do I just need to suck it up and put in a trim tab on the rudder?
anyone got a IV that flys strait hands off?

Slyfox
11-12-2018, 05:10 PM
yes with the trim tab installed. hahahahha

DesertFox4
11-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Yes but I sold it. Actually when new, mine had just a bit right wing heavy. During test phase my tech counselor adjusted it and removed most. I remember him adjusting the right wing struts just a little bit.

avidflyer
11-12-2018, 05:41 PM
On one Avid Flyer I bought, I noticed it was quite wing heavy on the left on first flights. I used a 4' level to check the wash out in the wings. The left one was about 1 1/4" less then the right wing. Adjusted the washout till it was even on both sides and then there was no heavy wing. On the Avid, you have only one place to adjust. Left rear lift strut. I would check with a level on adjust some more if needed. Make sure you aren't getting to close to the end of the threads though if you are adjusting it out to be longer. JImChuk

PS should have read the first post a bit better. Nothing wrong with a trim tab on the rudder if it needs it, I think.

Slyfox
11-12-2018, 05:45 PM
guys he is talking about the rudder. very common. I have a wedge on the right side of my rudder. I have a slight, very slight heavy left wing. I ain't going to bother with that.