PDA

View Full Version : wind indicators?

Wheels
11-08-2018, 08:06 AM
Has anyone ever built a tetrahedron or a wind T at their place instead of using a windsock? I have some time. looking for ideas.

Rooster
11-08-2018, 08:56 AM
What about a few 44 gallon drums welded end on end to look like an aeroplane and mount an old vertical stabiliser to the rear-most drum.
Concrete half an old axle into the ground (low) and mount the whole shebang onto the hub. Cement a circle around the outside and mark the 4 point of the compass ?

Wheels
11-08-2018, 09:36 PM
Thanks Rooster!
Good Idea and completely doable here in the Northwest. It gets snow, ice, sun, hail, high wind and beautiful sunny calm flying days.
I may go to that plan. It would be bomb proof. But I am also thinking about lighter.
I was considering pvc pipe framing and styrophoam body with a layer of fiberglass for weatherproofing. Set a bearing under it and paint as necessary. Yours would stay out 365 days a year and never need maintenance. Keep em coming.

beeryboats
11-09-2018, 04:31 PM
How about a big angle iron cross with a vertical tail on the long end of the cross? Pivot at the balance point, use a clutch throw out bearing for the pivot. You could weld horizontal "wings" out of same sheet metal on the sides. That's about what the local airport had before it closed. I tried to get my hands on it but I missed my chance.

896tr
11-10-2018, 08:07 AM
I say make it look like my first wife flying her broom. That would double as a wildlife/bird repellant!;)