PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Discussion

aviator79
11-05-2018, 03:15 PM
Moving this discussion outside Nikk's thread.

So, those who are considering helmets, are you thinking just for Phase I, or every time you fly? I'm kind of thinking it would be good to wear one during Phase I, but I don't think I'd wear it after that. A good one with comms is a pricey investment for 40 hours of use. Than again, Nikk was out of Phase I, and we really don't know what the cirucmstances were.

skyguy04
11-05-2018, 04:40 PM
I haven't given it much thought until now, but I have noticed that some of the competition guys wear them. I wouldn't worry about it if i'm just going out for a "normal" flight. However, if I'm planning to go off airport or practice short field landings it would be nice. I'd prefer one that worked with my existing headset ( Zulu 3). Not sure if anything like that exists...

tracstarr
11-05-2018, 05:25 PM
Even before the recent accident, it was something in the back of my head. I wear helmets for everything else. I have 5-6 different helmets for different activities.

It was about 3 weeks ago that I started thinking about it. There was a crash here where the pilot of an ultralight sustained major head injuries from his head hitting the ground from the side as the plane slide across the road. Read here. (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-plane-house-crash-1.4864626)

There was a comment in the other threads about most of them being useless to prevent forward hitting facial trauma. I'd agree I guess in that specific situation. Without a face guard you could still hit the dash. I would think though you'd have to be flying with pretty loose shoulder straps?

I've not decided yet myself - but I'm heavily leaning towards it.

KitplaneEnthusiast
11-05-2018, 05:42 PM
Nikks accident also got me thinking about helmets too and I think I am going to buy one. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it LOL.

When I was building my RV-7 I planned on wearing a helmet because it's happened many times where a bird came through the canopy at 200mph.

Even at our 120+ speeds a bird strike could be dangerous. And in the event of an off airport landing I sure would appreciate a helmet.

Slyfox
11-05-2018, 05:47 PM
HA, try to get your wife to put a helmet on, I can hear her now, are you kidding, it will mess my hair up. haha.

oh and hitting the panel, get real, if you have shoulder straps on, I always check them to make sure they will work, that's not going to happen. just some thoughts.

HighWing
11-05-2018, 06:20 PM
When I was flying my first Model IV, I became concerned because the shoulder harness attachments were not centered behind my head - sort of spreading in an aft Y shape to their respective attachment points. I was always concerned I could slither out between the straps in an impact. I made a couple of velcro straps to hold them together across my chest. When we were in our emergency landing (crash), I found that the force on the shoulder straps tore the cross straps apart - 1 inch nylon. I repositioned the attach points to behind my head on the new IV. It required some welding.

mooreaa
11-05-2018, 06:20 PM
I'm a total newbie and will be starting my private soon (finishing ground school) so this thread caught my attention.

In the event of a crash or hard landing, how well doe the restraints / seat belts hold you back? Looking at the crash photos (pretty gruesome) what caught my eye was how the panel was pushed in and the glass on the garmin was shattered looking like an impact there. I would think that to some degree the restrains should help avoid any major impact like that?

Also, would the added weight of the helmet possibly contribute to neck related injuries?

896tr
11-05-2018, 06:31 PM
They make helmets for the ultra light pilots that allow them to wear regular headsets. I had two of them but sold them to the guy that bought my weight shift plane, and no I don't remember the brand. I always wear a full face helmet when I ride my motorcycle. The one crash I had was a bad one, besides the extreme road tattoos I got the left side of the helmet was completely ground off from just below my ear to my chin. I never have and never will ride without one. I'm still on the fence about flying with one.

Slyfox
11-05-2018, 06:45 PM
I for one will not fly with one. I run my boat with one, mainly because at 75mph it hurts when rain hits and the noise is overbearing for my ears. I've been in a nasty motorcycle accident, I too always wear a helmet. didn't save my hip, took that right out. artificial hip now. I've seen people that have cut out their shoulder straps on the kitfox, they claimed that the fox lands so slow you don't need them. well I'm not going to get into it but those straps saved me. I always make sure they give me a few inches of forward movement, I have them loose when the turbulence is nill and tighten them up when it's there. along with the lap one, oh and reduce the air speed as well. if too much I just land and save my fuel for a better day.

PapuaPilot
11-05-2018, 07:06 PM
It crossed my mind to use a helmet when I was doing the Phase 1 testing on my plane. I actually have one of those expensive fitted military aviation helmets with ANR in it. I used it for 20 years of flying with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Indonesia.

I chose not to use my helmet. Why? I feel the 4 point Hooker harness that came with my kit would do a great job of keeping me in the seat and prevent my head from going forward into the instrument panel/dash in the event of an accident. In most airborne scenarios we will have time to tighten the seat belts (if needed), pick a suitable landing site and possibly turn it into the wind. With the low landing speed of the KF the outcome should be pretty good for the souls onboard. That is also the reason I don't feel the need for BRS. Yes, I understand there is a chance of something happening where a helmet or BRS would help, but the risk/benefit doesn't seem worth it.

FYI, since I came back to the USA in 2011 MAF has made it optional to use helmets, and 100% of our new pilots are choosing to use headsets.

Slyfox
11-05-2018, 07:48 PM
I know this is a helmet thread, but the BRS is out for me as well. Once you deploy that sucker you just go along for the ride. You could end up on a 200ft tree, land right on top of traffic on a busy interstate, who knows. I'd rather take my chances and fly the plane down until it stops.

Oh and to think your safe with a parachute, OMG. My neighbor has an rv6a and he has his flight suit on a parachute and a helmet. OMG. like he is going to get out of that plane safely before it hits the ground. no way. like I said, just fly it down to the ground and land it. I've had 3 engine outs in two different airplanes, landed them safely with no damage to either airplane.

one thing I will tell you with the kitfox, not only does the pilot sweat more when the fan quits. but you better be at least 60mph just off the ground any slower, she drops like a rock. no kidding.

efwd
11-05-2018, 10:01 PM
Steve, I was considering that very fact about staying at 60. Paul L. had me going through that numerous times (or should I say I put him through that). Really is impressive.
As for Never going to impact the panel?
Im not saying much here but I have taken an Aircraft Accident Investigation class for my degree from Embry-Riddle. I am looking at those photos and in spite of all the obvious EMS "damage", It is entirely possible that the air-frame buckled like an accordion as the engine impacted, pushing the panel toward (or at least stopping the forward progression) the occupant space and the decelerating aft fuselage tried to meet up with it from the occupants weight, and multiple G's pulling it all forward. If you noticed, the seat pan is buckled at the angle the bottom and back halves join. Now, after EMS arrived, they likely cut those aft tubes so that they could get the seat back to a normal shape as is seen. Just my assessment. I hope I don't get lit up over this; I did provide the disclaimer on my credentials. :D That should probably address MOOREAA's question as well.
The helmet thing has been on my mind for months. I have my Helicopter Crew helmet and since I have the standard headset plugs, my adapter for the com. portion will work. I am near certain this recent event has me wearing a helmet, for phase 1 anyhow.

Slyfox
11-06-2018, 07:28 AM
Eddie, Good points. But I have one. Nicks injuries were everything basically but his head and spine. Helmet wouldn't have done anything. something to think about.

Esser
11-06-2018, 08:45 AM
Hey guys,

The military did a study 1991 and found that crashes with fatalities were 6.3 times more likely to survive if the pilot had been wearing a helmet. I don’t think I will wear my helmet all the time, but when ever I’m. It just goingbfor a Sunday cruise I will.

Nikk is actually very fortunate not to have head and spine injuries but I don’t think we should use that as the norm. I’m sure he rung his bell pretty hard in the process. My put my car in the ditch about a month ago in an early season snow storm before I had my winter tires on. Freezing rain turned to snow and you can imagine there were poor road conditions. Long story short, we put the vehicle in the ditch and even though the air bags didn’t go off and it was fairly low impact, my wife hit her head on the side window quite hard.

Brain debilitating head injuries are what everyone seems to be talking about here but what about an off airport landing in a situation where you might not get rescued for a while. If you had a concussion, how much do your chances of survival go down?

I also think there is a good point about potential neck injuries when you add a 2lbs object to your head but the race industry has pretty much figured this out.

I realize this is a personal choice for everyone and I’m in no way trying to sway people one way or another by these comments. I just want to put out my thoughts.

10 years ago people would laugh at you if you wore a helmet on the ski hill. Go to a ski hill now and it’s hard to find someone without one. I feel like off airport flying might soon be the same.

I’m choosing to buy a helmet because the data backs it up. A helmet is safer. We will see when I wear it and when I don’t etc. But if the helmetbi choose is comfy, I might just wear it all the time

They are expensive but there are other options out there to integrate your existing headset such as the praetor helmet.

aviator79
11-06-2018, 09:59 AM
The Praetor looks pretty promising if it really fits over all the headsets they say it does and doesn't squish the headband into your noggin.

efwd
11-06-2018, 11:32 AM
Some folks have seen Facebook posts of Nikk already "thumbs up" but from I gather, he has facial lacerations which I personally
classify as a head injury. He simply narrowly avoided brain injury. That is remarkable IMHO based on how the panel looked. I have personally cared for many patients who were wearing and who were not wearing full face helmets. Full face wins when it comes to facial injuries so having said that, most of our prospects for aviation headgear don't cover the face. So, in this latest example the injuries sustained may have not been any better with the aviation helmet. I always wore a full face helmet on my motorcycle given my exposure to patients who were not.
Im editing to acknowledge there is a differentiation made in the literature between head injury and maxillofacial injury. There are significant correlations but technically I guess its not necessarily a "head injury".

896tr
11-06-2018, 04:56 PM
So my question now is, who knows how to work with a helmet manufacturer
to design and manufacture a helmet that will work and be affordable? The full face I had for motorcycle riding had enough room in the "ear" area to have speakers velcroed in and a microphone in front of my mouth. this allowed me to use the on board intercom, my ham radio, and xm radio. It was dot approved and kept my brains from leaking out. (although some would argue that) I think that if the price could be kept around $300 many pilots would be more inclined to wear one. The headsets, even the Bluetooth ones for the helmets are available for less than $50. That would push me off the fence and I would wear one. I know that clearance above the helmet will be an issue but I also know that someone will be able to design a "headache panel" to eliminate hitting the sky lite. Since I don't have my bike or kitfox anymore maybe someone that does can see how they fit in their kitfox with their full face helmet on. I know there will be lots of reasons for not wearing one but if we keep this thread going we will come up with a good light weight helmet, and if one person survives a forced landing because they did wear one, won't that be worth it?

herman pahls
11-06-2018, 05:14 PM
I wear helmets for 5 activities and backcountry flying should be and I intend it to be the 6th.
A while back I was shopping for a mountain bike helmet and asked the salesman what he suggested.
His response, I would most likely not be missing my front teeth had I been wearing a full face.
I now wear a full face mountain bike helmet because I value my front teeth and well know what my patients go through to replace theirs.

Since I have had a few concussions and 2 holes drilled in my skull to relieve the pressure from a sub dural hematoma, I would say that I am an idiot for not wearing a helmet when I fly.
The hematoma came from hitting water with a helmet on.

I have had 2 dead engine landings in the 23 years of flying Kitfoxs (I had plenty of gas in the tanks) and did not bend the airplane.
I was lucky in both cases and well know that most of the terrain I am flying over I hope to walk away but the airplane will be bent.

So you have the presence of mind when the fan quits over hostile terrain to maintain controlled flight at minimal airspeed until impact.
We will then all wish for full face helmets, HANS device, 3" restraints, full containment seats, Phase 1 flight or not.

So if all your flying is with in gliding distance of a large dry lake bed, forget the helmet.

efwd
11-06-2018, 05:36 PM
Wasn't the weekend incident over a large, dry, lake bed?
I just looked at the Praetor that Brian mentioned. Pretty nice, but far more $$ than $300. Kinda looks like my helmet only with the ears cut out. Speaking of hitting heads up top. I am short but have a booster seat in my KF...three inch foam bottom cushion. I figure that is just putting my head up where a 5'10" to 6' tall guy would be. If I were subject to a lateral acceleration, Im going to knock my head on the frame over my left ear. I won't be able to wear a helmet while sitting that high. I have a two inch cushion I can use but then my passenger will have to be a short person like me if they use my 3" cushion.

colospace
11-06-2018, 05:50 PM
What about a flight deck helmet? My recollection is that they are not particularly bulky or tall. Of course no facial protection is provided.

Slyfox
11-06-2018, 06:35 PM
Wasn't the weekend incident over a large, dry, lake bed?
I just looked at the Praetor that Brian mentioned. Pretty nice, but far more $$ than $300. Kinda looks like my helmet only with the ears cut out. Speaking of hitting heads up top. I am short but have a booster seat in my KF...three inch foam bottom cushion. I figure that is just putting my head up where a 5'10" to 6' tall guy would be. If I were subject to a lateral acceleration, Im going to knock my head on the frame over my left ear. I won't be able to wear a helmet while sitting that high. I have a two inch cushion I can use but then my passenger will have to be a short person like me if they use my 3" cushion.

Yup, that's why I said that. I also have a 3" under my behind. I be short also.
something to think about, if you think it's safer to use a helmet while flying are you going to wear it when you go on a commercial flight. ha, I bet you get some real looks from that one.

rv9ralph
11-06-2018, 08:35 PM
All points made to support a helmet are valid. I have considered it myself. If you are a Kitplanes reader, the May 2017 issue had an article on why helmets are a good idea. It was: High-Desert Tales, Crashed helmet, By Elliot Seguin. A good read with some suggestions on helmet types. If you subscribe, you can register online to access their archives.

Ralph

Dusty
11-06-2018, 11:04 PM
Logic suggests wearing a helmet,but I don't wear one in my Kitfox as I believe it is a calculated risk.We put our head in the noose every time we fly,but we can't eliminate every risk.A Kitfox is a very crashworthy design as some of the crashes here have shown,injuries are usually lower body.I don't plan on having an accident and also plan on living forever.So far so good:D
Anyone looking for a helmet should check out Campbell Aero classics.A top end quality product.

smutny
11-07-2018, 09:01 AM
I've worn two helmets while flying acro, the David Clark K10 and ProTech A-Bravo. The nice thing about those two is that you can use pretty much any off the shelf headset.

I've since switched to using in-ear headsets, a FARO Air and QT HALO. Now looking at some of the lightweight skydiving helmets. If you went with a CEP system, you can utilize just about any helmet out there that you like.

Now, the reason I wear a helmet during acro is to protect my noggin in case of a bailout. The three things that can get your head is the canopy during separation, the tail as you exit and then the ground if you don't land gracefully. What you're talking about, protecting your face from the panel, is not going to help with 99% of aviation helmets. You'll need a helmet with face protection, like a motorcycle full face helmet, but that would be terribly uncomfortable to fly in. There are some skydiving helmets with a lower face protection, but most protrude out quite a bit.

The best protection against a panel strike are fixed shoulder straps and tightening them down close to the ground. I had inertial reel shoulder straps in my Cessna and didn't care for them. My Cub's are fixed and I feel much better with that.

896tr
11-07-2018, 09:53 AM
Look at full face motorcycle helmets on eBay. There are good inexpensive ones with dual visors (tinted and clear). For those of you that ride a bike you know that you get used to wearing one very fast. For all of you old farts like me, do you remember all of the stupid reasons people had for not wearing seat belts in cars before they were mandatory? I predict that more people will use helmets when investigators and doctors start saying "the brain trauma could have been prevented...."
I'll bet if you ask Guy Buchanan even he had his "bell rung" when he lost his plane in the Colorado river and "walked" away from that. Injuries don't always show up right away, ask pro athletes. OK, I have convinced myself, I am going to get a helmet. I don't care if anyone looks at me like I just rode on the "short bus", I want to be able to see and recognize my sisters great grand kids.

efwd
11-07-2018, 07:26 PM
pilotflighthelmets.com/ld-project-flight-helmets/62-ld-project-regular-flight-helmet-with-bose-a20-communications.html
Holly cow! put this into your URL. I found a helmet that can incorporate my $1095 A20 headsets!
I think it also scrubs your blood of nitrogen and delivers Oxygen to you through your external jugular while flying above 12K, Cuz it costs $3344!

tracstarr
11-08-2018, 06:14 AM
Ohh that is a nice helmet... but pricey! But, it looks like that's because the Bose A20 comes with it (built in somehow). Without it it's far less, but not sure if you can put your own existing headset in there. Not enough details on that site.

efwd
11-08-2018, 06:27 AM
Oh, I suppose your right. Other systems I have been seeing allow you to use your own headset. Thought this was the same.

aviator79
11-08-2018, 07:45 AM
Not cheap, but not as insane as some other options. It also appears it may be possible to buy the one with no comms and retrofit your A20 or Zulu headset. The manufacturer's website says you can send them your headset and they'll install it for you. Of course, if you only plan to wear the helmet part time, it's probably not worth installing/uninstalling your headset every time. If you get their ANR coms, you're still under $2k. Still a hard price to stomach, but checks all the boxes in terms of being reasonably compact, and offering maxiliofacial protection without undue visibility or comfort compromises.

Icaro Rollbar Plus (https://tigerperformance.com/aviation/flight-helmets/icaro-aviation-helmets/icaro-rollbar-plus-model-aviation/)

Edit: Actually, this (https://tigerperformance.com/icaro-rollbar-model-aviation/icaro-rollbar-aviation-helmet-with-tiger-intercom-anr-headset.html) might be the sweet spot: About the same price as a high-end headset.

Danzer1
11-08-2018, 08:54 AM
I'm considering these: https://aerolight.com/A/index.php/products/powered-paragliding/ppg-helmets/nac-horus-ppg-helmet-detail

May not offer full coverage, but they are pretty popular in the paragliding, paramotor community.

Might be a decent compromise at a reasonable pricepoint. Thoughts?

YMMV, Greg

hamer
11-08-2018, 03:46 PM
I'd probably go with this one, at the moment...

http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/m8/215--pilotx-flight-helmet-with-comms.html

jabkwab
11-09-2018, 12:27 AM
70's British tankers helmet retrofitted with a David Clark headset.
I really only use it as a conversation starter in the office, but I guess it would work fine in the Kitfox.
And it was cheap! 30 bucks for the helmet and a headset that was laying around.

https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/45682606_1143069129177041_6866343883740020736_n.jp g?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-ams3-1.xx&oh=c6b6be920a755c1e7646fef5525721fc&oe=5C7CE5B3

smutny
11-09-2018, 09:55 AM
Just a comment on using old helmets...

If one decides to buy surplus or dig their dad's out of the closet, remember that the old tech foam used in them has deteriorated and is no longer providing much, if any, cushion of safety.

Companies like Oregon Aero have kits that replace all the pads inside helmets with softer, more modern materials. I bought one for me K10 and later put in in my ProTech helmet.

Something to consider.

TY2068
11-09-2018, 11:14 AM
It will be interesting to see if the guys out there doing lots of low-level stol flying suddenly start wearing helmets. Personally I think if you are primarily doing that type of flying then a good flight suit (and gloves) is not a bad idea. I watch some of the videos out there and for some reason it reminds me of guys riding crotch rockets with no helmet T-shirt, Cut-offs and flip-flops.

n85ae
11-12-2018, 06:59 PM
I just bought a ski helmet, for skiing, and winter bicycling, and it has pockets
in the earmuffs for audio speakers. This thing would be super simple to modify
for my Kitfox. Ear seal might not be great, but over foam earplugs could be
very workable ... Have a workable Telex 750 I might cannibalize for parts
this seems a super simple project.

https://www.wildhornoutfitters.com/products/drift-ski-helmet

Jeff

Esser
11-13-2018, 10:42 AM
Great idea Jeff! You inspired me. Ski helmets are mass madecso should be cheaper with economies of scale. They are also designed for pretty massive impacts.

I just ordered this one for $200CDN(Had to get it since it matches my plane!). I’m going to see how I can make my Clarity Aloft work with it. Worst case, I have a new ski helmet.

n85ae
11-13-2018, 03:20 PM
Not to mention they keep your head warm, and here in the Arctic of Chicago
you can't overlook that.

That Bolle looks cool

bbs428
11-13-2018, 04:47 PM
Nice Helmet The Bolle looks great.

At $479.00 this Kask is more pricey but also looks great.
It's Navy blue so it's better... :)

efwd
11-13-2018, 05:48 PM
I could see a bush pilot in something like that. I like the built on lense shield

n85ae
11-13-2018, 10:25 PM
Why would anybody spend money like that on a Ski helmet? I mean if it's just
disposable cash to you ... I have PayPal, you could send me some ... :)

I was fretting over the $60 I spent on mine ...

Nice Helmet The Bolle looks great.

At $479.00 this Kask is more pricey but also looks great.
It's Navy blue so it's better... :)

smutny
11-14-2018, 09:26 AM
Would this be the proper Kitfox helmet?

http://nitrinos.ru/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/neko.png

Sorry... couldn't resist...

There are a myriad of helmets for every singe conceivable situation. I would suggest doing some real research on the subject before buying anything that looks cool. A brief read into bicycle helmets shows that some of the regulators have issues with the latest tech helmets as not being as safe as claimed. It's made me re-evaluate my future helmet purchase.

efwd
11-14-2018, 04:02 PM
At the end of the day, Im with John. If you really want skull protection you really need to get one designed for the environment. I spent dearly for my motorcycle helmet and even then they want me to discard it after 5yrs use irregardless of damage.

n85ae
11-14-2018, 10:58 PM
Ski helmets, and Bicycle helmets are not the same thing. I wear a ski
helmet winter bicycling because I like to keep my head from freezing off.

These Ski helmets are well made, and that's nonsense to discount them
like that. They may not be "perfect" but they are very good quality helmets.
It also so happens, that they are easily adaptable to airplane use. They
are absolutely as good as any of the helmets sold for ultralight fliers, so
I don't see any issue with using one.

You're going to gain protection wearing one, and if you're in a crash so bad
that the helmet fails ... Well likely it doesn't really matter what helmet you
have on.

Jeff

Esser
11-14-2018, 11:35 PM
First rule is don’t crash. Second rule is where a helmet, any helmet. Third rule is wear a good helmet.

If you follow the history trail of “aviation” helmets, their lineage, and the technology they were used to be developed I think you would find modern high end ski helmets most likely exceed them in every way.

mooreaa
11-15-2018, 02:48 AM
This is an interesting clip from a video by Becki and Chris who fly a Robinson. https://youtu.be/O7-H0pRkaFM?t=133

While you don't have the rotors in an airplane, I think he makes a good point that head injury in a crash could come from another source (tree).

I think there are two goals of any helmet. 1) protect your head/face from external impact. 2) cushion your head so that your brain doesn't slam into the inside of your skull (concussion). While a bike helmet might not help with #1 too much, it is designed to help with #2.

I guess this is part of risk assessment and the real question is how much does it impede the pilots ability to fly. For example, if the bulky helmet makes it harder to look around as much (in a limited size cabin), or you have limited peripheral vision, I could see an argument against it. Hard to know without trying, and hard to try without spending the $$$.

jrevens
11-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Interesting discussion. I know a guy who used to work for the government, shooting coyotes from a Cub. When he built his RV4 he continued to wear a helmet while flying it. I don’t think his wife had a helmet when she flew with him (could be wrong). I also think that he gradually gave up using a helmet in his homebuilts, but I might be wrong about that too... haven’t seen him for a long time. Anyway, this seems to be developing into quite a popular notion. We all know that flying involves more risk than many things we do in life, and many might say “why not wear a helmet?”. There are multiple ways to reduce the risks of flying, but I’m not sure I would personally want to wear a helmet... they are just too hot, restrictive and basically uncomfortable to me. We live in such a risk-adverse society anymore that I believe we’ve taken the fun out of living in many ways. Not saying it’s not a way to reduce certain risk... it is. But I think about all my years growing up, riding bikes, flying airplanes, driving cars and motorcycles, etc., etc. without helmets, or even seat belts. Now, I can see a day sometime in the future when “Big Brother” mandates helmet use in private aircraft. Large soda drinks may even be banned! Reminds me of the popular chant among some nowdays - “Even if it saves only one life, it’s worth it.” No, sometimes, for some people, it’s not. I’m sure there will be a lot of disagreement with this. To each his own.

ken nougaret
11-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Well put John!

airlina
11-15-2018, 01:42 PM
Amen John couldn't agree more-to me , the best way by far to eliminate much of the risk in flying is pilot proficiency and currency. Instead of just boring holes in the sky, challenge yourself on every flight and know what your airplane can do. As an example I know that in my plane I can do the dreaded 180 degree turn back to my departing runway if my engine fails from 400' agl because it is a maneuver I practice regularly. So before every takeoff , I say to myself if engine quits on this one what is the plan - a big push on the stick and basically straight ahead until I can make that 400'. The 2 seconds you save because you expect it to happen could save your life someday. Bruce N199CL

Shadowrider
11-15-2018, 03:33 PM
I am going to start wearing a helmet at work (corporate pilot) and see how my passengers react😬 Interesting article about bike helmets I read awhile ago I will see if I can find it. Basically states wearing a helmet can sometimes lead to more risk taking because “I have a helmet on.”

https://www.cnet.com/news/brain-surgeon-theres-no-point-wearing-cycle-helmets/

bumsteer
11-15-2018, 06:59 PM
Totally agree John.

Rick

efwd
11-15-2018, 07:09 PM
I would wear one in the back with you just to get a ride in that thing you fly.:D

HighWing
11-16-2018, 11:09 AM
I have been reading this thread with interest and my personal feeling mirrors John's. Yesterday morning before getting up I asked my wife if she wishes she had been wearing a helmet when we "crashed" as I attempted an emergency landing. After a moment, she said no. Her reasoning was that the increased weight on her head might have caused additional strain on her neck as we impacted the ground. Neither of us suffered any injury above our shoulders. It was all related to flailing legs, arms and broken structural tubing. I should mention that my wife spent 44 years as a flight attendant and had a lot of practice - at least twice every flight - tightening her belt and shoulder harnesses and positioning her head depending on whether she sat forward facing or aft facing . This might reinforce what airlina suggested in his post.

The increased strain on the neck has always been a concern to me regarding the full face helmets some motorcyclists use. In my mind, skidding along the ground and then hitting a rock or a guard rail with that protuberance and survive the accident with severe spinal cord injuries.

David47
11-16-2018, 02:06 PM
About 18 months ago I attended a lecture given by an aviation medical pathologist and the subject of helmets came up from question from the floor. Interesting responses, but helmet weight was discussed as a possible source of neck injury as Lowell wrote. I’m undecided about wearing a helmet during my phase 1 test flying, but I have done UPRT training to better understand how to recover in the event of any situation developing, which I don’t expect. But as Bruce essentially said, pilot proficiency is probably the best remedy. Having said that, I know that ag pilots all wear helmets, but then look how close they fly to the ground. No time to react. I personally think they are restrictive and could induce issues, such as limits on peripheral vision. In the end and like John, I think we’ve all chosen to take on a more risky life venture in flying our planes so for mine, just get good at flying.

Shadowrider
11-16-2018, 04:29 PM
I have a friend who used to fly pipe line patrol and he wore a helment as he worried about taking a large bird through the window. He hit lots of birds flying 100’ off the deck and took out a couple turkey buzzards but none through the window.

n85ae
11-16-2018, 05:31 PM
Whether somebody wears a helmet is certainly their business, but these
helmets are not like wearing an anvil on your head. This idea of neck injury,
caused by the weight of for example the ski helmet I wore this afternoon is
frankly - Utterly ridiculous.

Also the idea that your peripheral vision is affected is also ridiculous. I
rode my bike today on the roads, in and around the NW Suburbs of Chicago,
and had zero issue with that, and I have to check traffic behind me by
looking over my shoulder, and no issue with that either.

That said - Bruce's point about being a proficient pilot makes sense.

If you're flying off sand bars, etc. I'm thinking a helmet might actually be
a good idea ...

Jeff

David47
11-18-2018, 04:14 PM
Whether somebody wears a helmet is certainly their business, but these
helmets are not like wearing an anvil on your head. This idea of neck injury,
caused by the weight of for example the ski helmet I wore this afternoon is
frankly - Utterly ridiculous.

Jeff

I'm afraid the aviation medical evidence would disagree with you. There was quite some discussion about this in the lecture I attended and according to the av. med pathologist serious neck injury has resulted from wearing heavy helmets. Case in point, the helmets used on the F35 are/were a concern due to their weight, especially in the event of a pilot having to eject whereby spinal injury could result.

And with respect, peripheral vision issues are similarly a concern. I ride a motorbike and even with a full open face, there are limitations.

Wheels
11-18-2018, 10:14 PM
I must already have a brain injury. I fly everyday the sun is out.