PDA

View Full Version : Hello- Uninformed Noob

sierrasplitter
10-24-2018, 11:24 AM
Just got back from HSF 2018. I knew I should have stayed home , now I want my own plane.
Like the rest I would really like to own a Kitfox. Hopefully within 9-12 months

But, I'm a complete Noob about them and need lots of info. I do apologize in advance for not finding all of this info using the search function , but here goes

Me- Got my PPL in July 18 and my tailwheel endorsement last month ( I did say Noob)
Flying a club Citabria logging landings but will be buying an aircraft within the year
I have been looking at older, budget friendly craft like a Piper Pacer, Cessna 140, 170 ect. Only because they are within budget ( let say 40K)
I live in Lakeside California and fly out of SEE and MYF
I plan on enjoying my retirement by flying to grass and dirt strips and doing some weekend camping with the plane
My wife wont fly with me so a 2 seater is fine
I also realize lighter aircraft = less room/less payload
Due to my home base anything will need a radio and transponder. It would be nice t have a GPS but I can always use the ipad
The other bad point is I wont be able to rent a hangar so if I park it at the airport It would be outside
My garage at home would fit one with wings folded

So, here are a few KitFox questions

1. Models - I am watching a Kitfox2 and although a bit early in my search I like this one but no transponder and radio is hand held.
re there any models that I should shy away from ?

2. Cross Country Flight - I don't need to get there in a hurry so speed isn't a factor,but what about comfort? The longest flight in one day I could imagine doing would be san diego to truckee or salt lake

3. Buying a used, already built plane - my only option due to budget , cant afford the kit and the engine

4. Anyone want to partner up in San Diego ? I do plan on getting it dirty

Thanks in advance And thanks for the site. I found a place with knowledge !

Hockeystud87
10-24-2018, 12:22 PM
Glad you've got the bug!

I just started doing some flying in my Model 4 and it's a total hoot! Never flown a Citabria but the Kitfox model 4 is squirlier than the 140 I got my endorsement in. I think the next gen 5, 6, 7 fly more like a top cub but IDK.

1. with a budget of 40k i'd be looking at Model 4's and up. I don't think you want a model 2. They're great planes but the 4's had some really good improvements and are a fine flying ships. I have seen some cheap 5's around 40k as well. Most of the more recent models have full VFR panels.

2. I'm 6'2" 185 lbs and fit OK in my model 4 with a instructor it's "snug". No issues with moving the sticks but really the KF4 has so much response if I'm in a situation where I've got full ailerons in at all I'm probably wishing I was landed. 4's are smaller than 5, 6, 7 and plenty of people have taken them cross country just fine.

3. Used home built is tricky never done it but you really need to know what to look for I think. I would bring a experienced builder/A&P and avoid planes with crappy logs. There is also the option of waiting around for a unfinished kit, rare but I bet their out there.

4. Own my KF4 free and clear sorry =P

aviator79
10-24-2018, 12:59 PM
Piper pacers, C140's and C170's are good planes, but keep in mind that you should consider the sticker price the cover charge. When you get to the bar, you'll be shocked at what the drinks cost. Keeping an older certified airplane safe and legal is a very expensive endeavor. Our flying club has a Cardinal that's in pretty good shape. Our annual inspections are typically $1600-$2k/year. Last year we cleared $4k. When anything breaks, count on a $1000 repair bill. If you buy an experimental, you can do all your own maintenance (except the annual condition inspection) and save scads of money over TSO'd parts where it is prudent. Spending an extra 10 or 20k on a nicer experimental will pay for itself within a few years vs caring for and feeding a certified plane.

1.)Good resource for understanding the differences between models.
http://www.kitfox.eu/history/kitfox-aircraft-history.html

The short of it is that the 4 is a very substantial improvement over the 3 and earlier. The 5,6,and 7 are a little larger and more refined. The differences between 5,6,and 7 are small. Trent's plane, if you saw it at HSF is technically a 5, but at this point, he's got a nicer plane than any 7 that I know of.

2.) I (5'7". 150 lbs) spent a 5 hour day in a Kitfox in Idaho, and wasn't at all sore or seat-fatigued. The seats are not adjustable, but offer a nice seating posture that I find comfortable.

3.) You definitely want someone who knows what they are doing to inspect anything you buy. A&Ps aren't created equal. Find someone that knows Kitfoxes, or at least tube-and-fabric airplanes. A Kitfox builder may be a better resource than a random A&P.

rv9ralph
10-24-2018, 03:00 PM
Welcome. Now that you have time, search the forum for other posts from "Noobs" like you. There have quite a few over the summer.

If you are going to start a search for a used experimental aircraft, the new edition of Kitplanes has an article on what to consider in the process.

If you are committed to Kitfox, you can't go wrong, order a copy of "Kitfox Pilot's Guide" from Kitfox Aircraft. It outlines the performance and handling differences of all Kitfox models.

Also, if you are planing long trips, San Diego to Tahoe, it may not seem long. But, in a Kitfox 3 or older, you are looking at a VNE of 90 or less. Santa Monica to Livermore in my model 3 as 5 hours.

Ralph

896tr
10-24-2018, 05:21 PM
Get ahold of Guy Buchanan, he is in Ramona. I know he is in the market for another series 4. His last one was a beauty. Maybe the two of you could find two of them to work on together.:)