PDA

View Full Version : Trent Palmer - 2nd Place at the HSF STOL Drags

offroute
10-20-2018, 04:59 PM
Amazing performance in an airplane he barely got together in time to attend. Congrats to Trent and the folks at Kitfox Aircraft.

1st place went to Draco. A PT-6 powered Wilga monster.

rv9ralph
10-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Ok... Draco should be in a different category with Beta pitch option... unless he was blocked from using it.

But I bet good fun was had by all!!

Ralph

Shadowrider
10-20-2018, 08:11 PM
Sounds like the “cub killer” was a success! In my book Trent won. Let’s start a petition to ban “Draco”. Kidding.....but really it’s not even a contest. That’s like showing up to a go kart race with a Indy car🙂 I guess I just wanted Trent to win bad! Always like the underdog.

efwd
10-20-2018, 10:26 PM
Just three months ago he would have taken 1st. Draco only came into the picture in July.

Shadowrider
10-21-2018, 05:13 AM
Well technically Trents plane became a contender only a couple days ago with his new engine install complete. I think the only way to beat Draco is with another turbine.

Slyfox
10-21-2018, 10:09 AM
something to think about here. If Trent would have faced off with Draco at the beginning, he wouldn't have made 2nd.

rv9ralph
10-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Here's another perspective. He bested all others except a 600 HP turboprop with reverse thrust... stoping fast to turn around and stopping after crossing the line is part of the timing run.

He beat his competition from last year, Steve Henry with a Yamaha powered, Nitrous boosted Just Aircraft Hilander.
YeHaww... not

Kitfox Rules!!

Ralph

Shadowrider
10-21-2018, 12:31 PM
something to think about here. If Trent would have faced off with Draco at the beginning, he wouldn't have made 2nd.

Yeah some kind of drew the short stick that had to compete against Draco. Steve Henry got taken out early.

DesertFox4
10-21-2018, 01:13 PM
Congrats to Mike & Draco. Mike built one incredible flying, quick stopping aircraft.
Also to Trent for such a good showing considering how little time he was able to get behind his new setup and a 3rd place to Toby Ashley. What fun.:)
Next year Trent.;)

jdmcbean
10-21-2018, 02:35 PM
It is all for fun, not competition. Yeah... Right.
I have to say it is really cool to watch all the different aircraft qualify and compete.
Even had an Aero Commander try and qualify..
So whose going to beat Draco ? One never knows what will show up... Did anyone imagine Draco?
I think everyone knew it was a race for second place... And Draco would have had to make a 7 second mistake for anyone to get close. Not likely... Especially in the capable hands of Mike Patey.
So... We arrive at Dead Cow in a 3 ship at sunset... Trent and Nikk honestly never shut down... They call for the last 2 aircraft to qualify.. Trent and Nikk line up... Trent qualifies fully loaded and Nikk missed by .03. they wouldnt let me quality due to safety.. to dark. Nikk is flying a S7 Super Sport 912uls
So without going over the whole race... I'll put it this way. Trent beat 3 carbon Cubs... Actually 2 but he beat one twice. And the one he beat twice was last year's STOL Drag champion Mark Patey in his carbon Cub... And yes it was that close.. they raced twice.
So, congrats to Mike and Draco and Great job Trent!
What fun to watch!

Shadowrider
10-21-2018, 03:16 PM
John congratulations, the hard work paid off! I know you guys worked day and night to get ready and talk about coming down to the wire. Glad kitfox not only beat the Carbon cubs, you did it multiple times! Trent is probably going to be kicked out of the flying cowboys now:) I think Trent needs to put small cub stickers on his kitfox for each fancy Cub he has taken down.

jdmcbean
10-21-2018, 03:23 PM
HSF 2018.. Here are a few pics

Av8r3400
10-21-2018, 06:38 PM
Great photos, John. Thanks for sharing. Someday...

Shadowrider
10-21-2018, 09:28 PM
John how close was Trent to Draco? I saw one video that he was not far behind on the first stop. What if Trent had the MT reversing prop?

David47
10-22-2018, 04:23 AM
Great result for Trent and the new Super Freedom Fox and some excellent flying from both Trent and Mike Patey. The aviation version of David and Goliath !.

rv9ralph
10-22-2018, 06:02 PM
Ok, my previous posts were slanted at cheering for Trent.

However, I have give Mike with Draco his due. He did an amazing job at modifying a Wilga to be Draco, a fire breathing dragon. He did win.

But, considering how the STOL drags are set up, with a focus on moderating the differences of power and STOL performance.. heavier planes needing more time to stop the mass than lighter planes faster planes needing more time to stop, it does equalize the performance variables to give a reasonable equalizing of different platforms.

But, the brackets, based on qualifying runs do determine some losers in the matrix. I wonder what the recorded times of everyones runs was. That will give a better idea of the final results.

Congratulations Trent, on being the best non turpo prop, reverse pitch performance.

Ralph

sturdee
10-23-2018, 07:22 AM
Great airmanship, by all, it would be interesting if the pilots had too switch aeroplanes,
Draco is some beast! However it’s a one off!
The Kitfox comes as a kit so what if a builder can put a turbine into one? Or even a revers pitch prop on the Rotax! Then the table would turn due to lightness and power.
Talking about the cub, hey that’s been around way longer than most folk and mr cub designer got it right then!
Stay safe and enjoy! We all can’t land on a dime however sure can hit a dollar!

aviator79
10-23-2018, 10:48 AM
But, the brackets, based on qualifying runs do determine some losers in the matrix. I wonder what the recorded times of everyones runs was. That will give a better idea of the final results.
Ralph

I had this same thought. I like the idea of having a tournament bracket and head-to-head races, but it almost seems more fair to award 2nd and 3rd place by best time posted.

I don't want to take anything away from Trent. He's a great pilot flying a great plane, and is an outstanding face for Kitfox right now. But technically, every single plane/pilot in the top bracket could have posted a faster time. I'd love to see those times because I'd like to think the confirm that the Kitfox is a cubkiller.

Bryan
10-23-2018, 05:57 PM
Any videos of this?

jrthomas
10-23-2018, 06:37 PM
Found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFxgoCntJCA

Esser
10-24-2018, 05:15 PM
Ok, my previous posts were slanted at cheering for Trent.

However, I have give Mike with Draco his due. He did an amazing job at modifying a Wilga to be Draco, a fire breathing dragon. He did win.

But, considering how the STOL drags are set up, with a focus on moderating the differences of power and STOL performance.. heavier planes needing more time to stop the mass than lighter planes faster planes needing more time to stop, it does equalize the performance variables to give a reasonable equalizing of different platforms.

Congratulations Trent, on being the best non turpo prop, reverse pitch performance.

Ralph

You know, I think they could keep Draco, making a no beta option would really level the field and I don't think he would have won.

Your comment about times wouldn't be accurate. The wind vs no wind times varied by 5 seconds and the wind picked up a lot from the start of the races to the finish. Toby Ashley's no wind run qualified around 1:22 something. His third place run was 1:27 so that give you an idea of how much wind changes times.

Steve Henry was 1:22 when he lost to Draco in low wind so everyone thinking Steve would have beat Trent isn't necessarily the case.