PDA

View Full Version : Garmin G5

tjentzsch
10-08-2018, 06:33 PM
Did a few searches, but was unable to find info.

Curious who is running the G5 as their PFD? (for VFR obviously)
Do you find the display big enough?
Are the controls easy to use and intuitive?
Are you using 2, one for HSI?
Do you have any steam gauges as well and if so, which ones?

JimS
10-09-2018, 07:58 AM
I installed 2 in my RV replaced the vacuum attitude indicator and DG. Still have regular altimeter,VSI, airspeed. Haven't flown them a lot. Only VFR but was planning on getting current IFR with them. I really like the HSI display.

GuppyWN
10-09-2018, 10:20 PM
I’d dump the dual G5 idea and go with the G3X.

tjentzsch
10-10-2018, 06:15 AM
This has been an idea. However, at nearly twice the price (once you add all the extras ones needs for the G3X), does it matter for VFR?

Nearly 4k for the 10.6" display and 3k for the 7"

Yes, once you add both G5's, its nearly as much (perhaps even slightly more), but I would not be adding both G5's at once. A single G5 (experimental version) is 2k which is A LOT more manageable at first.

jiott
10-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Nothing really matters for VFR. The Kitfox can be easily flown with the panel completely covered, using attitude techniques and pilotage. The GPS in your smartphone will get you anywhere if pilotage fails you. In my opinion the whole panel thing boils down to your personal wants and your budget. So just look at what others have done and then make up your own mind; there are no wrong answers, just convenience.

tjentzsch
10-10-2018, 09:59 AM
This is correct. This is why I am reaching out and gathering info on what others have do or think.

In the end I personally want some instruments so finding the best, overall, system is worth the research.

Kitfox Guy
10-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Nothing really matters for VFR. The Kitfox can be easily flown with the panel completely...

I agree, it all depends on what you want to do with your KF. I've been flying around with my KF for about twenty years with nothing more than a compass, turn coordinator, altimeter, VSI, ASI, and a ratty old handheld GPS. Good old fashion pilotage is my primary navigation with the handheld GPS as a backup.

cubtractor
10-10-2018, 10:06 AM
I found this pretty interesting: https://aerovonics.com/av-30

tjentzsch
10-10-2018, 10:48 AM
That is pretty awesome. Judjing by the price of the AV 20 (900) I would estimate the AV30 to be similar, perhaps a little more. Not a bad little set up with two of those guys.

Russell320
10-12-2018, 08:23 AM
Like JimS, I will also be replacing my round vacuum horizon and DG with the G5 in my RV6A. It’s a great replacement instrument which can be configured to your liking. The price is right at $1200 a piece for non certified aircraft. However, if you have a new panel, something more “glassy” might be better. However, IMO, anything more than a compass and a turn and bank on a Kitox is overkill.....especially if you want to save money for stuff like...fuel to fly. Keep it simple and go fly. The Kitfox is the best thing in sport aviation!

tjentzsch
10-12-2018, 09:55 AM
I agree that minimal instruments are not "needed" to fly VFR, I guess I am liking the option to keep current on how to use these instruments.

That AV-30 instrument looks very cool. I did manage to find a price at about 1600. Still for two, that is 3200 (one for pitch and one for DG) I guess you could use one and just swap back and forth, but having dedicated displays is nice IMHO.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas all! It's very good to be learning so much about these topics.

efwd
10-12-2018, 10:07 AM
Russ must really appreciate my panel then.:D

PapuaPilot
10-12-2018, 04:01 PM
That AV-30 instrument looks very cool. I did manage to find a price at about 1600. Still for two, that is 3200 (one for pitch and one for DG) I guess you could use one and just swap back and forth, but having dedicated displays is nice IMHO.

If you are going to spend $3200 then you aren't very far from getting something like a basic Garmin G3X package which gives you so much more than those two instruments do.

I would be more likely to get two Garmin G5 instruments before getting the AV-30s. That would only $2400.

tjentzsch
10-12-2018, 04:07 PM
I agree. As I understand it though, the cost of the G3X is just for the unit. There is then the extra expense for the various modules one needs to gain full functionalist correct? If I understand it correctly, it's somewhere like an additional 1400 (EMU and the AHRS control unit) that is needed. ~6000k for what one needs for the G3X to function fully, if I understand correctly?

rv9ralph
10-12-2018, 07:09 PM
Have you looked at the MGL Stratomaster XTreme? It has the functionality as you are looking at for the G5 (with more features) at less expense, even including the additional modules.

Plus MGL is an advertiser on this site helping to cove the expenses of maintaining this forum. (Look on the left column.)

Ralph

tjentzsch
10-12-2018, 07:22 PM
I will have a look, thank you.

JimS
10-17-2018, 07:35 AM
If I were building a vfr panel now I would put in 1 G5. Everything you need for vfr and enough to get you out of the clouds of you happen to need it.
JimS