PDA

View Full Version : 4-1200 or 5/7

Woodymuler
09-29-2018, 10:23 PM
I have been lurking on this site since February attempting to educate myself, but have not found the answer to my question.

I’m 6’3, is a 4 realistic, or should I be concentrating on locating a 5/7?

I fly out of KSEE in Southern California and have yet to find a 4 to sit in. I did find a gentleman with (if I remember correctly) a 6 that I was able to try on for size.

There is a 4-1200 in Texas that might have potential, but I would rather not fly there only to find out I don’t fit.

Any input would be appreciated,
Thanks

Bobo
09-30-2018, 05:56 AM
I’m 6’ 3” and 235 lbs with a 34” inseam for pants to give you an idea of my leg length. I bought a 7 with adjustable rudder pedals in April and fit in that just fine but I would not want it any smaller. I have flown at least two 4 hour legs in it and several 3+ hour legs and felt fine getting back in it to fly some more that same day. I have over 50 hours in it at this time and I’m still happy with how I fit.

I’ve tried on a 4 for size and while I was able to get in it, I didn’t feel like I would like how I fit as a long term solution for me. I had enough head room but I was cramped from the waist down. If your legs are shorter than mine, a 4 might work for you. I recommend going with your plan to try one on for size to be sure before spending a large sum to find out.

R/ Todd

Woodymuler
09-30-2018, 09:39 AM
Thanks Todd,

Yep 34’ inseam here too, so I think the 4 is off the table.
Too bad, I really like the price difference.

Thanks again for the response

Av8r3400
09-30-2018, 03:15 PM
I have a friend who is 6'2" (with very long legs) that flies an Avid mark 4, which has far less leg room than a Kitfox model 4.

Everyone's body mechanics are different. I would still suggest that you try one before eliminating it completely from your consideration.