PDA

View Full Version : Trailering a Kitfox.

Robin G
09-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Hello to all. Just joined. Am heading to northern Washington in the morning to pick up Kitfox 3 I recently purchased. Completed in 2003, 64 hours. First tail dragger and still working on endorsement so will bring her home on a trailer. I naturally have lots and lots of questions but the first task is to get her home. Only little issue is that I have not found suitable hanger space in the south Portland area. Looks like the driveway for a short while. Fortunately, the CC&Rs never anticipated an airplane in one's driveway.

DesertFox4
09-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Robin, Congrats on your Model 3. I also purchased my first Kitfox and trailered it home from Oklahoma to Phoenix. It came with a purpose built trailer just for hauling the Kitfox. Trailering a Kitfox is no problem if done correctly. The previous owner hopefully informed you how to safely trailer your Model 3. If not, repost here and many will help you so you don't harm the aircraft.

A couple things to remember just in case are:

1. try to fold the wings with less than half full tanks. Any trip longer than from your garage to the local airport and you should empty both wing tanks.

2. support the tail , don't let it ride on the tail wheel on the trailer deck. Long trips with the tail wheel on the deck of the trailer will damage your vertical stabilizer and tail wheel spring or worse. There are tubes welded into the tail of the Kitfox for a support bracket to bolt on.

3. never tie the fuselage to the trailer except at the tail support bracket. Tie the main wheels (tires) down so the aircraft can make use of it's suspension during transport. Straps work great for this task.

4. use a trailer with a lite suspension , not one made to haul autos or trucks.
Too heavy of a trailer suspension will transmit every bump on the road to your airframe. Lighter is better . Single axel small boat trailers are easily converted to Kitfox haulers.

5. support the front spars to the fuselage (wings in the folded position) when going very far. Good idea to support the spars even on short trips. You should have support struts that were made just for this. If not they are easy to fabricate.

6. the kitfox rides better if facing reward (tail first down the road).

7. make pads that keep tail surfaces from fluttering in the wind.

8. be very sure your wings are secure to the tail . If they open while going down the road they will be damaged or destroyed by the first sign post or bridge or truck you come to. Ouch!

9. If you have a 2 stroke engine with a clutch, make sure you bungee the prop so it doesn't windmill while driving.

Just a few things I remember from my trailering days. Maybe someone will add to this if I've missed anything.

Folding wings are a big selling point for any Kitfox. Just have to use good sense and you will have no problems. Best of luck. :)

Steve Kellander
Desert Fox Squadron
Phoenix,AZ