PDA

View Full Version : Garage length?

CharlesDarwin
09-30-2018, 06:32 PM
So I'm pretty sure I've decided the kitfox is the kit for me and I've been clearing out the garage to start building tables etc for working on. I have a single car, but fairly wide(15 feet) garage, it's not terribly deep though at 20 feet. The s7 specs list the length of the place at 19'8" I assume this is with engine mounted.

Question is. ..how screwed would I be with this limit? I'm sure the engine is one of the last things mounted but how much of that 19'8" is firewall? Can I build everything firewall back without touching forward?

My plan right now is to buy a trailer that would fit the plane when built and use it to store parts that I'm not currently using as a way to gain extra space in the Garage but it would be a pain to have to load and unload each time I wanted to work on the plane if I couldn't close the garage door with the plane inside.

Also...since I'm making a post already. Any suggestions for workspace for a first time builder? I spent my entire HS years working construction and rebuilt/restored a 1959 Galaxie Fairlane, so I'm good with tools and how to, mainly looking for suggestions on how to set up the workplace for what I'll be doing with building this kit.

Thanks for your help and hopefully see you in the air before long!

Esser
09-30-2018, 06:38 PM
My garage is 20 feet deep. You’ll be fine if you leave the wings off. When they are folded they add a couple feet beyond the tail.

With 15 feet wide you can angle it a bit too to give you extra room

aviator79
09-30-2018, 06:41 PM
My garage is 20' 4". I have the fuselage in there with engine and cowls on. I don't have the prop on yet, and I have the rudder off to give me some room. I can comfortably walk around the plane. 20' will feel tight at times, but you won't be screwed.

CharlesDarwin
09-30-2018, 06:45 PM
Excellent, my heart just about sank when I measured that. Plan is to leave wings off until I must attach them. I can do that in the summer when I'll be able to work outside.

Thought of angling it but didn't want to plan on it that way and not be able to have it work for some reason

Esser
09-30-2018, 06:47 PM
Ah yes, good tip, take the rudder and elevator off when you add the engine until the very end.

You can do all the wing stuff before you put the engine on. You’ll just have to remove them and hang them on the walls before you start the FWF

Maverick
10-03-2018, 02:32 PM
I've got 12'X24' shop. Also, 10' high to rafters. I put 2X4s across at 8' upon which I put lots of things. See attached.

I am ready to take down all the stuff I need for the right wing and will put the left wing up in these cross members. Once I have them both done, I will have room in the cross members to store both wings until time to do the final hang of the wings to the fuselage.

I also put shelving across the walls to put the wing tanks and other misc. parts on. It's a challenge building in such a tight space but it's doable. Part of the fun is figuring out how to do it within the small space. Like you, I will hang the wings with the plane outdoors.

My biggest concern for a tight space is when it comes time to paint. :)