PDA

View Full Version : Ignition switches

aviator79
09-29-2018, 08:59 AM
Can the forum collectively verify that the ignition switches for Rotax ignition modules are open (ungrounded) for "On?" I only ask because I've seen some toggle switches in panels that show the closed symbol (|) on the top of the switch, and the open (O) symbol on the bottom of the switch. But I know the switches are on the ground wire, and that a normal ACS key switch works with the Rotax ignition, so I was under the impression that when the switch is closed, the primary coil is grounded and the ignition is off.

jrevens
09-29-2018, 10:48 AM
That’s correct, Brian. The switches you describe are probably spdt (single pole, double throw), or dpdt, etc., and a set of contacts that are “open” in the “on” position are being used.

Agfoxflyer
10-01-2018, 06:50 AM
When I tried my first engine start I installed ignition toggles with "on" in the up position. Engine would not start. Spent 5 or 6 hours tracing wire, trouble shooting. Tried one last time. In frustration I flipped toggles down to "off' position before I released the starter switch. To my shock & surprise the engine roared to life. Turned switches upside down. Felt real stupid.