PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake control cable

jeffbock
09-28-2018, 11:14 AM
Parking brake control cable. Mounted my parking brake control on forward part of center console and result is that it's impossible to reach with shoulder harness on. Would like to fit with a cable to facilitate pull/ON, push/OFF and mount on lower portion of instrument panel beside the choke control.
Anyone out there know where to get a cable like that? Brackets will be easy to manufacture. Jeff

PapuaPilot
09-28-2018, 12:04 PM
Parking brake control cable. Mounted my parking brake control on forward part of center console and result is that it's impossible to reach with shoulder harness on. Jeff

Mine is the same. I just loosen my shoulder harness to lean forward. I don't feel this is a safety issue because you are going to be stopped to use the parking brake.

If you really want to move the lever back you could put another lever or cable farther back on the center console that connects to the parking brake lever.

rv9ralph
09-28-2018, 03:57 PM
One thing to be cautious about with parking brakes that are cable operated.

I had a flying buddy with a Glasair that had a parking brake valve located out of reach with a cable actuator. One day, after landing, the cable came loose and the brakes locked on the runway. He was unable to taxi and could not reach the parking brake valve to release without getting out of the aircraft on the runway to reach it.

Just a bit of a warning on mounting location and actuation mechanisms for parking brake valves. Plan your installation well.

Ralph

Esser
09-29-2018, 07:50 AM
Personally I like that I can’t reach it. No inadvertent parking break application while in the air

efwd
09-29-2018, 08:20 AM
That is what Paul L. said. That would be a bummer only discovered upon landing.

Floog
09-29-2018, 01:25 PM
Don't do it, Jeff! You may be sorry you did.

We flew a flight of six over your strip yesterday complete with a fly by of your house. You were out doing EMT I think. Sorry we missed you! Had a great confab at Jay's.

Regards, Doug

Norm
09-29-2018, 06:59 PM
Personally I like that I can’t reach it. No inadvertent parking break application while in the air

Showing my age but brings to mind an old Bugs Bunny cartoon where Bugs throws on the air brake and walks out of the plane mid air. :):eek:

efwd
09-29-2018, 08:43 PM
;) I remember that.