PDA

View Full Version : Drain Holes on Lift Strut Fairings

Kahle76
09-27-2018, 04:36 AM
My Brother-in-law who is an A&P suggested that I make sure that I have drainage at the bottom of my lift strut fairings to help prevent the struts from rusting. Unfortunately, I used foam and superfill to form the junction of the two fairings where they meet the fuselage before seeking his advice. They are the Kitfox fairings. Any suggestions on drilling or fabricating drainage?

Dave S
09-27-2018, 10:00 AM
Mike,

Your Brother in law's advice is solid. I made sure that there were drain holes just above any obstruction to flow along the bottom side of the lift struts/fairings; and, sealing the top end where water might get in. However, trying to drill at this point in your construction carries some risks - like potentially knicking the lift strut with a drill bit or missing the passage you intend to drain. I know that is not much help; but, a person should guard against doing anything that might make things worse.

Alternatively, a person could seal up everything on the lift strut - although not too easy by the jury strut attach parts.

I am speculating that a lot of kitfoxes out there do not have provisions for drains in this area, although I think it is a good idea.

efwd
09-27-2018, 12:28 PM
I have intentions of doing the same thing long after my struts have been finished. I have closed off all entry points for offending moisture. Having said that, atmospheric air with its moisture content is still able to get in through the imperfect seal of the trailing edge "zipper". Recall that the fairings have the bumps that ride along the edge of the metal strut both front and back. My intent is to dremel a hole at the bottom of the fairing outside that bump which would place your bit outside the metal strut. You could say that water could collect within the confines of the bumps next to the strut. To bridge through that bump I think I could use a solder iron to melt it enough to allow the water out and that won't put the strut at risk of a drill bit.

jiott
09-27-2018, 07:40 PM
Floog was worried about this very thing, so he drilled drain holes at the bottom end of the strut fairings and as I remember quite a bit of water came out. Maybe he will have better information.

I think sealing the area where the jury strut brackets exit the fairings with silicone or something will seal the main ingression area. I also agree with Eddie that the zipper seam may slowly let in humidity.