PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cool Install

Hockeystud87
09-25-2018, 01:14 AM
How many people are running oil coolers?

I think my plane needs one but I'm not sure how to install it. Are there of the shelf brackets for a 912?

If not anyone have plans or pictures of their cooler?

jiott
09-25-2018, 09:22 AM
I think most of us are running oil coolers. I also have the oil thermostat.

Just buy the oil cooler kit from Kitfox; it will come with the bracket material and instructions. It mounts in front of the radiator, using some stainless steel straps. Its all in the build manual.

kmach
09-25-2018, 10:07 AM
Where the oil cooler mounts depends on what model kitfox , what motor mount and the style of cowl.

Calling kitfox with your model, engine, mount and cowl details should get you the right setup.

Allot of oil coolers on the kitfoxes with the 912 are mounted in front and below the gearbox.

Hockeystud87
09-25-2018, 01:59 PM
I have a Kitfox 4. My grandfather already purchased a smaller oil cooler that I might try with a home made bracket.

The one KF sells I think is ~$130 which isn't bad for just the brackets.

But this has a big ??? if it will work with the one my grandfather bought a while back.

HighWing
09-25-2018, 02:20 PM
Back in the olden days, I would see the kitfoxes at the factory fly-in with most of them with duct tape over all but a few rows of tubes. I then decided that the 8" wide - inlet to outlet from the factory was overkill, so went with the smaller cooler. I found it was still a bit too big so started using shutters, especially for warm-up.

Hockeystud87
09-25-2018, 04:13 PM
Back in the olden days, I would see the kitfoxes at the factory fly-in with most of them with duct tape over all but a few rows of tubes. I then decided that the 8" wide - inlet to outlet from the factory was overkill, so went with the smaller cooler. I found it was still a bit too big so started using shutters, especially for warm-up.

Interesting mine is a 94 kit fox with pretty much no upgrades from what it would be like then. Still runs hot.

Hockeystud87
09-26-2018, 10:14 PM
Any one know a good source for brackets on the model 4 bubble cowling oil coolers?

DesertFox4
09-26-2018, 11:10 PM
Kitfox Aircraft LLC.