PDA

View Full Version : How often do you replace your rubber engine mounts?

Dorsal
08-21-2018, 04:08 AM
Looking for the wisdom of the crowd. My mounts were manufactured around 2002 and put in service in 2010, they look OK but should I replace them anyway?

PapuaPilot
08-21-2018, 05:43 AM
I don't have a Rotax, but typically you should look for any signs of hardness, cracking or sagging. For sagging look at the prop spinner to cowling area and see if it is lower or not lined up like when it was new.

airlina
08-21-2018, 09:20 AM
Finn, Same as Phil , I don't have a Rotax ,we both have the Continental IO-240, but his advice is spot on. I changed my mounts out last winter after 14 years of flying and 800 hours, as i had to pull the engine for a bunch of preventative type maintenance, so I figured might as well. The mounts old mounts actually still looked good. Bruce N199CL

Dorsal
08-21-2018, 09:46 AM
Thanks Phil and Bruce, I will keep an eye on them, no signs of sagging or cracking (how do you look for "signs of hardness"?) Wasn't sure if this is one of those things you replace before you see a problem. I'll put it on the calendar for the 10 year service :)

PapuaPilot
08-21-2018, 08:01 PM
How do you look for "signs of hardness"?
I'll put it on the calendar for the 10 year service :)

For hardness you kind of need to know what new feels (or felt) like. Cracking or separation can be found by having someone move the engine around at the prop hub area while you watch the rubber mounts.

Ten years sounds like a good idea.

Dorsal
08-22-2018, 04:56 AM
More good tips, thanks again Phil