PDA

View Full Version : 912F (as in Foxtrot) for sale on Ebay

rcsfca
10-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Everyone-

Someone in Ontario, Canada is advertising a "912F" on Ebay with a very complicated description about why it doesn't have logs, etc.

In any case, does anybody know what a 912 "F" is?

Cheers,

Rich Cunningham

RobS
10-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Rich,
This is taken from the Rotax website:

Rotax 912 UL DCDI 81HP

4-stroke engine specially developed for recreational aircraft. Also exists in certified versions: Rotax 912 A, Rotax 912 F.

rcsfca
10-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Soooo - there's a certified version. Interesting that the logs issue is so murky in the Ebay ad considering that it's certified...

Thanks for poking around in the research barrel.

Rich C.

RobS
10-19-2009, 07:44 PM
The eBay ad says it came from a Katana. Wasn't that Diamond's first aircraft in North America which was manufactured in Canada?

It claims liability issues as the reason for no logs, but I don't understand that.

Av8r3400
10-20-2009, 04:14 AM
Engine was either poorly maintained or perhaps had a prop strike or something and they don't want to disclose that, hence, no logs and plead ignorance.

I'd bet a dollar.

Dorsal
10-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Personally I would expect that the lack of logs is to sever any liability for those who owned or worked on the engine and may or may not indicate sub-par maintenance. As I understand it our uncertified engines already have a "too bad so sad" clause that attempts to minimize liability, certified engines do not.
I am not a lawyer so this opinion is only based on what I read.

Pooch
01-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Someone once told me to be careful about buying airplanes on e-bay or Craigs' list.

Mnflyer
01-08-2010, 06:11 PM
One has to be careful when buying an aircraft no matter how or where you see it for sale, E Bay Craigslist are no different than Trade-A-Plane, Barnstormers, or any Newspaper classified, they are a medium to bring a buyer and seller together, if a buyer is too incompetent to inspect and aircraft before buying no matter how its advertised they deserve what they get. A bad seller is no worse by selling on e bay then if he uses say Trade-A-Plane or Barnstormers.

SkyPirate
01-08-2010, 07:19 PM
I second that mnflyer,.. if someone is to purchase anything that is listed on any form of media and the product is away from the buyer and the buyer can't go personally to see the product ,..the buyer can contact an AI for aircraft to inspect it,..a mechanic for auto's ,..etc,..it's an option to the buyer ,..if he or she does not take advantage of the options available to them ,..and relies on their own evaluation derived from the seller's discription to sell the product,..they have no one to blame but themselves. and then some thing's that can be purchased thru a media ,..are so much lower in the price range that the product is available in ,..one can determine worse case scenario cost of rebuild of saled product ,..which in some cases is best anyway,..you have a rebuilt product ( 9 times out of 10 which now has a warrantee) that you know is in working order.

Chase

Hallgrimur
01-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Hi
Can I ask you for further info on contacting someone to inspect the product for sale.. Thanks in advance!

I for ex have an interest to buy a Kitfox IV kit in the building process (if the price is right etc etc) but I have the Atlantic ocean to cross just to inspect something advertized.. What can one do?

Kind regards
Hallgrimur

I second that mnflyer,.. if someone is to purchase anything that is listed on any form of media and the product is away from the buyer and the buyer can't go personally to see the product ,..the buyer can contact an AI for aircraft to inspect it,..a mechanic for auto's ,..etc,..it's an option to the buyer ,..if he or she does not take advantage of the options available to them ,..and relies on their own evaluation derived from the seller's discription to sell the product,..they have no one to blame but themselves. and then some thing's that can be purchased thru a media ,..are so much lower in the price range that the product is available in ,..one can determine worse case scenario cost of rebuild of saled product ,..which in some cases is best anyway,..you have a rebuilt product ( 9 times out of 10 which now has a warrantee) that you know is in working order.

Chase

SkyPirate
01-09-2010, 04:45 PM
where is the kit? if you don't want to disclose this on the forum ..look in the members list and find someone close to the location ,..or contact an airport close to the location and ask if there is a quailifed person to inspect the kit for you,..if the kit is with in 100 miles of me ,..I'll gladly go and look at it for you ,..no charge,..as for shipping ..that's your baby :)

Chase

Hallgrimur
01-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Hi SkyPirate
thanks very much for your generous offer. This is a ad on Barnstormers for untouched kit with a lot of exra options. However, it is in Canada.

> I made a inquiry and have a response on a e-mail with a lot of info + pictures. Would you look ad this and tell me what you think..? Then I would need your e-mail adr...?

Very Kind regards
hallgrimur

Thanks I will inform - no secret! I will check the correct adr and come back..:)

where is the kit? if you don't want to disclose this on the forum ..look in the members list and find someone close to the location ,..or contact an airport close to the location and ask if there is a quailifed person to inspect the kit for you,..if the kit is with in 100 miles of me ,..I'll gladly go and look at it for you ,..no charge,..as for shipping ..that's your baby :)

Chase