PDA

View Full Version : Oratex

Frontier Fox
08-07-2018, 10:07 PM
I am going back and forth on which covering system to use, conventional system or Oratex. I have read the threads about cost, weight and time to cover.

I the interest of keeping weight down I am leaning towards Oratex. I was wondering which weight to use. 600 is good to 1323 pounds gross weight. Is this what I should use or would the 6000 be more appropriate?

Joe G

tracstarr
08-08-2018, 05:17 AM
I think everyone that's done it will tell you to use the 6000. I've talked to the "Better Fabric" guys in Alaska and that's what they say as well.

I'm just about ready to put in my order for Oratex as that's what I will be using. I went with the notion of it being much easier to do than traditional fabric. As well as a lot less time consuming.

aviator79
08-08-2018, 05:35 AM
Other than painting my wings, I'm done covering. I used Poly Fiber. I think the finished product in PF looks a little nicer, but not much. It has a big service history advantage. However, I've spent about 530 hours on my plane so far, and about half of that has been covering and painting. It does take a lot of time, and there is a lot of spraying. Now that it's done, I'm happy with my choice, but I think if I had it to do over again, I'd try Oratex.

efwd
08-08-2018, 05:43 AM
Hahaha. I was thinking the exact opposite. The shiny stuff is really nice. But, I like the way my Oratex came out too.

PapuaPilot
08-08-2018, 07:55 AM
Boy, the grass seems to be greener on the other side.

I'm going through the same thought process on a Wag-Aero Cub I am restoring; Oratex or PF.

colospace
08-08-2018, 08:26 AM
Lars had recommended the 6000 so that is what I used. Not show plane pretty, but I like to think of it as more of a vintage look. I was really loathe to try painting the whole plane in my garage, so that was my main driver in choosing Oratex. Very satisfying when you get the covering applied and stand back to see all that finished color.

jiott
08-08-2018, 10:04 AM
Here's my 2 cents: After seeing both, I like the look of PF a lot better. With PF the many coats of paint fill in and feather the edges of all the tapes and seams into one pleasing whole. The Oratex has all those raw tape and seam edges that seem to stand out, making it look somewhat patched together. Also I would worry about some of those raw edges starting to peel back over time in the slipstream. From a distance it looks great though, and the time saving is undeniable.

aviator79
08-08-2018, 10:18 AM
Here's my 2 cents: After seeing both, I like the look of PF a lot better. With PF the many coats of paint fill in and feather the edges of all the tapes and seams into one pleasing whole. The Oratex has all those raw tape and seam edges that seem to stand out, making it look somewhat patched together. Also I would worry about some of those raw edges starting to peel back over time in the slipstream. From a distance it looks great though, and the time saving is undeniable.

I still waffle back and forth. I will say that now that it's done, I'm glad I have Poly Fiber for the reasons that Jim is saying. It does look good.

efwd
08-08-2018, 12:43 PM
Yup, I agree. Wondering about the edges myself. I think if its done correctly those edges aren't going to lift up. The adhesive is extremely strong. Question is, did I get adequate heat and pressure applied to all those little pinked edges. I would do straight edge tapes If I were to do it again. But, I think I would do the PF if I were to cover another for the nice finish as Jim states.

littlecricket
08-09-2018, 10:19 AM
Curious, if anybody has sprayed Oratex with a clear coat? To give it that more poly fiber look/shine...

aviator79
08-09-2018, 10:31 AM
If I were going to do that, I would just paint it. Either way, you're basically paying for your top coat twice.

colospace
08-09-2018, 01:31 PM
Advantages of Oratex: does not require painting and lighter weight. Spraying a clear coat would negate both of those advantages. IMHO
By the way, I used straight edge tapes because the pinked edges are unnecessary (unless you are going for a vintage look) and I had observed that with no paint fill, they seemed to collect dust.

aviator79
08-09-2018, 01:35 PM
... with no paint fill, they seemed to collect dust.

I'd never thought of that. It might be a real consideration if you choose dark colors.

rv9ralph
08-09-2018, 03:39 PM
At AirVenture this year, I stopped by the Orotex booth and looked the aircraft that were parked there to demonstrate their product. I also examined several other covering/finishing systems, even did about 8 hours at the Stewart Systems seminar in the Fun Zone.
The finish on the aircraft at the Orotex booth did not show their product in a good light. The finishing in the edges, cracks and corners of the surfaces looked rough. One aircraft had trim paint over some of the Orotex covering with some bleed through on the mask lines (especially at the tapes). The taping edges, as stated, looked sharp and a place for dirt/debris to collect.

Just my observations.

Ralph

Esser
08-09-2018, 04:36 PM
If you want a show plane, don't use Oratex. If you want a light weight performer that looks great from 8' that you don't need to paint etc. use Oratex.

FYI I used urethane and being an amateur, my paint only looks good from 8 feet anyway. If I were to do it again. 100% oratex. Just my .02

efwd
08-09-2018, 04:48 PM
if you have dust in your tape edges you aren't flying enough. That's how I will combat that issue.:D

jrevens
08-09-2018, 08:29 PM
I'd never thought of that. It might be a real consideration if you choose dark colors.

It’s probably actually as much or more of an issue with the white color that I used... most dirt & dust seems to be darker colored. That particular issue (dirt collecting on the edges of lap joints, finish tapes, etc.) can be mitigated with a good coat of wax. Makes it easier to blow off & clean too.

Esser
08-09-2018, 10:44 PM
Oh and John made a show plane with oratex!!

jrevens
08-09-2018, 11:18 PM
Oh and John made a show plane with oratex!!

Thank you, Josh, but no... I didn't. I appreciate you and the comment though.

rogerramjet737
08-10-2018, 09:23 AM
I saw the Better Fabric/Oratex Tent as OSH as well. I later spoke with two different builders who covered with it. Both said the process was good. Both also said to make sure your initial order includes EVERYTHING you will need. Apparently the Supply Chain from Germany is very slow and frustrating if additional glue, fabric or other supplies are needed. One guy told me that there were some tense phone conversations with the supplier in Alaska; they hung up on him but always apologized later.

All things considered, I’m going with Oratex.

Swanny
08-10-2018, 06:41 PM
I was set on Oratex for awhile, but now I am almost starting to think it might be worth my time just to go the Poly route. :confused:

I did contact the Oratex folks about two weeks ago for an estimate, 3 days later I got a reply saying they needed more info about the type of plane. I sent my reply no more than a few hours later. I still haven't heard back... I don't care what your product is, thats bad business.

Paul Z
08-13-2018, 08:31 PM
I was set on Oratex for awhile, but now I am almost starting to think it might be worth my time just to go the Poly route. :confused:

I did contact the Oratex folks about two weeks ago for an estimate, 3 days later I got a reply saying they needed more info about the type of plane. I sent my reply no more than a few hours later. I still haven't heard back... I don't care what your product is, thats bad business.

Call Lars Gleitsmann (907) 229-6792 or Paul Mills (907) 440-7033. They respond quickly if contacted.

Northof49
08-13-2018, 09:30 PM
When I ordered my oratex , I delt
With Paul Mills . I had no issues whatsoever ,
And I am very pleased with the product .
Mike .

Swanny
08-14-2018, 06:30 AM
Thanks, I will give them a call.

What amount of extra materials would folks suggest ordering ahead of time so not to run into a waiting game down the road?

SilverFox5
10-26-2018, 11:13 AM
Hello anyone using Oratex for their project.
My brother and I have decided we will do the Oratex for our Kitfox 5 project and would like to know if anyone within 500-600 miles of central Wisconsin is looking at applying Oratex to there plane in the near future. We would love to take a road trip and help out, watch, observe if anyone out their would allow us to do this. So please, if you know, are, or know of anyone using Oratex for a Kitfox or any other project we would be very greatful to be able to come and observe it being applied. And we promise, any errors we may observe will be kept secret!!;)
Let me know and feel free to PM me.
Thanks,
Joe Leeman
Wisconsin

rocketman2tm
10-26-2018, 12:51 PM
I live in Kenosha and used Oratex on my project. PM me and we can get together.

Frontier Fox
10-26-2018, 04:19 PM
I am still trying to decide if Oratex is the fabric for me also. I wonder if there is someone in the Portland, OR area that is using it.

Joe G.

tracstarr
10-26-2018, 06:55 PM
I'm just in the middle of finalizing my order of Oratex for my Model 6.

Just so you all know, they now have a new material that has a backing on it so that it's not translucent at all - which I know is a complaint of some.