PDA

View Full Version : Meet 'n Greet

GSRtrent
08-02-2018, 05:29 AM
Morning. This is my first post here and I didn't really see anywhere else to post this so apologies, in advance, if it's in the wrong section.

I've recently been introduced to these Kitfox planes and would love to learn more about them. So, I'm posting to see, if anyone lives near me would care to meet up some weekend and show me their Kitfox? I live near Rochester MN. I noticed a few members, on the member map, live fairly close.

As of right now I just hold my part 107 (remote pilot) license and will be going for my PPL next summer. These planes really peeked my interest and showed me there are fun, affordable planes, out there to buy after I get my PPL.

Again, thank you!
-Trent B.

DesertFox4
08-02-2018, 06:37 AM
Welcome to the Kitfox community Trent. Glad you found us and discovered how exciting the Kitfox is. Hope you get to see one up close real soon.

GSRtrent
08-02-2018, 07:31 AM
Thanks Desert! Hoping to learn as much as I can about these planes. I'm sure purchasing one is years down the road (especially with kids on the way soon). One can hope, though!

efwd
08-02-2018, 08:32 AM
Welcome Trent. Kids could dampen things a bit for sure. My incomplete RV4 in the garage is testament to that fact. My SS7 is a one man show even though they are 14 and 16 now. Never made it back to the RV after the first was born. Not that it couldn't be done. People do it all the time. Planning and budgeting is what its all about. Keep the dream alive and one day you will be finishing your project as I am.

GSRtrent
08-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Thanks efwd! My wife seems pretty on board with it. But, as you said, planning and budgeting for sure.

n85ae
08-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Wow, this is me! I have a Series 5 I built and fly (when I can), and 90% of the
time solo. I have a CH-801 in the garage 75% complete with no end in sight.

Two kids, 12, and 14, so no idea when I can ever get back to the CH-801
since I sit at swim practice, swim meets, dance classes, etc. pretty much all
of the time I'm not at work.

I think the 801 will be my hobby in retirement :)

GSRtrent
08-02-2018, 09:44 AM
That's probably where my life is headed here soon. haha. Although, I plan on buying my first kitfox already assembled (just for the sake of time). Maybe build one later in life?

RadialFox7
08-02-2018, 02:25 PM
Hi Trent, I'm close to completion on my Kitfox Super Sport and not to far from you at Cannon Falls. Your welcome to stop in for a visit. You will find out that this forum and members have a wealth of information and are great with helpful hints. Pm me for contact info.

aviator79
08-02-2018, 03:06 PM
My kids are 8 and 11, which might actually be kind of a sweet spot. They are old enough to be independent, but not quite into so many activities that I can't manage the schedule. I will say that over the summer my average time spent on the airplane each week has decreased some on account of baseball, family vacations, etc. Still, I find I'm able to meet all my family obligations and still get some time in on the plane every day. (I just get up at 4 AM).

Av8r3400
08-02-2018, 04:58 PM
You missed a good chance to meet and greet at OSH. We had over 70 Kitfoxers at the BBQ.

Put in for the time off next year, it will be worth it. :)

tjentzsch
08-02-2018, 06:28 PM
Hi Trent. I am in your same boat. I came across kitfox after watching dozens of videos online about them and their ease of maintenance, and flying characteristics.

I have always looked at planes in wonder to be honest, but always felt they were way out of the realm of possible without making it a career. Now, I feel it is possible to get wet with the kitfox and a sport pilot licence. Granted, there is significant cost involved still, but at a much more reasonable way to afford them.

My biggest issue if trying to find a place to build it and being able to keep the parts organized for up to 18 months.

GSRtrent
08-03-2018, 05:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Yes, it sucks I missed OSH this year. I told the wife we're going next year no matter what lol.

GSRtrent
08-03-2018, 05:28 AM
Hi Trent. I am in your same boat. I came across kitfox after watching dozens of videos online about them and their ease of maintenance, and flying...

My life goal would be to have my own hangar and airstrip. My parents will be selling their house within the next 5 to 10 years and the field behind their house is plenty big enough to land a kitfox. hmm....

GSRtrent
08-03-2018, 05:32 AM
Hi Trent, I'm close to completion on my Kitfox Super Sport and not to far from you at Cannon Falls. Your welcome to stop in for a visit. You will find out that this forum and members have a wealth of information and are great with helpful hints. Pm me for contact info.

Radial,

I tried sending a PM but not sure if it worked? Maybe I need to make a certain number of posts before I can send a PM since I just joined? Anyways, my cell # is: 715-338-4923.

tjentzsch
08-03-2018, 05:33 AM
My life goal would be to have my own hangar and airstrip. My parents will be selling their house within the next 5 to 10 years and the field behind their house is plenty big enough to land a kitfox. hmm....

That would be amazing. I would love to do the same, build a very simple house with a attached, or detached hanger and a simple field runway out in Utah. My life goals may have just shifted to exactly that :)

GSRtrent
08-03-2018, 05:36 AM
It's a great life goal to have!

efwd
08-03-2018, 08:13 AM
Just read in Sport Plane magazine that they will be celebrating 50 years located at Oshkosh. Here's to hoping that its even better than this year. If America is greater next year than now, maybe attendance will reach record levels. They reached some records this year I hear. Better order that motor you want before the Tariff hits. Then again, maybe Lycoming and Continental will sell more.

GSRtrent
08-03-2018, 09:03 AM
Yes next year should be a good one. I'm going to make sure I get to it.