PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox Crash

Guy Buchanan
08-01-2018, 11:24 AM
Well Team Kitfox. My beloved red and white Kitfox is no more. I hooked a wire over the Colorado river west of Grand Junction and tore off the vertical and rudder. The subsequent crash was not pretty, but I walked. (Or floated.) It's a tribute to the Kitfox or my luck, you pick. I will be off a while recuperating and deciding what to do, but I suspect I'll be looking for a IV kit or partial before long.

Guy Buchanan

Dorsal
08-01-2018, 11:50 AM
Must have been scary as hell, so glad you survived.

efwd
08-01-2018, 11:52 AM
OMG! Thank God your OK. I was so looking forward to seeing that plane too. Well Guy, when you get a new one I will come see it as well. :(

jiott
08-01-2018, 12:02 PM
Glad you're OK!

aviator79
08-01-2018, 12:07 PM
I've marveled at the beauty of your plane, and I can't imagine how much it hurts to see it like that.

Of course the most important thing is that you're safe.

ken nougaret
08-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Very sorry to hear. Thank God your not hurt worse.

896tr
08-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Guy I am happy that you were able to "walk away" from that landing and if you need any help I am just down the road in Green River Utah.

Steve

Av8r3400
08-01-2018, 12:26 PM
So glad you are okay, Guy!

I'm sorry for the loss of your beautiful plane. Things can be repaired or replaced, lives can not.

Again I'm so glad you are here to tell the tale.

SloW8
08-01-2018, 12:43 PM
Local news story:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46369428&nid=1417&title=rafters-help-rescue-pilot-after-crash-into-colorado-river

Dang man, glad you are okay.

avidflyer
08-01-2018, 01:20 PM
Wow Guy, so sorry for you. Glad you made it out of that and able to tell us about it. JImChuk

Frontier Fox
08-01-2018, 01:30 PM
So glad that you are ok.

Your guardian angel was with you!

Joe G

Cherrybark
08-01-2018, 01:33 PM
Very happy you walked or floated away from that. You built a beautiful plane and were obviously enjoying flying it! Hope you find a new project or activity to get you busy again soon.

David47
08-01-2018, 02:17 PM
Sorry to hear about the crash and hope your recovery goes well. You’re ok and that’s all that counts.

Shadowrider
08-01-2018, 03:06 PM
WOW! Thanks for posting. Good reminder to everybody. Glad your safe. Plane can be replaced.

Shadowrider
08-01-2018, 03:09 PM
Well Team Kitfox. My beloved red and white Kitfox is no more. I hooked a wire over the Colorado river west of Grand Junction and tore off the vertical and rudder. The subsequent crash was not pretty, but I walked. (Or floated.) It's a tribute to the Kitfox or my luck, you pick. I will be off a while recuperating and deciding what to do, but I suspect I'll be looking for a IV kit or partial before long.

Guy Buchanan

When and if the the time is right, can you share more details? Did you know right away you where going down?

DesertFox4
08-01-2018, 03:44 PM
So glad you will be OK Guy. So sorry for the loss of your Kitfox. Hope to see you back in the seat soon.

KitKarson
08-01-2018, 03:57 PM
Whoa! That is great you walked, swam, floated away and you are safe. What a loss of a plane. I was actually going to reach out to you in the next few months because i am going to start a build my self and live is San Diego. With that said knowing the loss of a plane you built your self vs a production plane is huge. Such a bummer!

GWright6970
08-01-2018, 04:19 PM
All that matters is that you are ok. Thank heavens!

cjb
08-01-2018, 04:20 PM
Guy, as all have said before me, I am sorry to hear of your crash but so relieved to hear you are ok. I dont know you, but have followed many of your posts. Wishing you a quick recuperation.

HighWing
08-01-2018, 05:30 PM
Guy,
I echo all that has been said. I have seen it up close with pictures to remind me and it was an inspiration. So much that also described who you are and your insights and attention to detail. But as others have said. That you are OK is the detail we are so glad to hear. Been there too.

PapuaPilot
08-01-2018, 06:06 PM
Glad to hear you are OK Gus. Hate to hear about the loss of a Kitfox, but it sure is a great testimony to the strength of the Kitfox.

jrthomas
08-01-2018, 06:17 PM
So sorry to hear. It always pains me to see a fine airplane destroyed but it can be replaced. You can't! So thankful you're OK. I hope you can find a replacement soon. James Thomas

jrevens
08-01-2018, 06:38 PM
Guy,

So glad to hear you were ok, although hurt. I got a call from Stan early this morning - the crash was on the news last night, and he said that he heard from you, but was respecting your wishes to not share any details at that time. I suspected a wire strike. Looking at the pictures, it seems a miracle you survived at all. Everything considered, that's a good day. I hope your recuperation goes well and that you find another Kitfox to make into a beauty, as you did with that one. It was great to see you here in Colorado.

SkySteve
08-01-2018, 06:51 PM
Note to all: There is also a wire (cable) across the canyon north of Moab. When flying that canyon be aware as it can come upon you fast with little warning.

colospace
08-01-2018, 07:05 PM
A real bummer to lose your Fox, but so amazing that you were able to walk away from it. Stan had shared the picture at lunch today and there was a story on the local news tonight. It was good to meet you on your way to OSH; hope it's not long before you're back in a Fox.

Av8r_Sed
08-01-2018, 07:06 PM
Guy, Sorry for your troubles. You must be pretty tough to walk away from that one. I hope your spirits are still good after what you've been through.

Other folks, I'm curious if you're using something like Foreflight with synthetic vision, if a cable like this would show up as an obstacle with accompanying alerts.

jrevens
08-01-2018, 09:19 PM

Other folks, I'm curious if you're using something like Foreflight with synthetic vision, if a cable like this would show up as an obstacle with accompanying alerts.

I don't know for sure, but I do know that there are an awful lot of cables that are definitely not charted, and they can sometimes be very hard to see, even when you know they're there. So, even if there are some in a synthetic vision database, I think you definitely couldn't count on very many (if not most) of them being there.

Shadowrider
08-01-2018, 09:30 PM
As been stated before in the Moab area, multiple cables I know of. Looking on a sectional only one is charted.

cubtractor
08-02-2018, 06:31 AM
Glad your ok!

Esser
08-02-2018, 07:30 AM
When I first saw the pictures my heart sank cause I thought there was no way someone could walk away from that. Glad I was wrong and you are fine. Let us know if you need anything and have a quick recovery.

bumsteer
08-02-2018, 11:11 AM
Glad that you are OK.

Rick

Rodney
08-02-2018, 11:25 AM
So glad that you are well. Wish we were close enough to be of some assistance.

We often fly the Red River, north of Paris Texas. Just ton's of sandbars to land on. Last night we found someone had put up a set of poles and a volley ball net on one of the sandbars. Can't be too careful.

Regards
Rodney

Guy Buchanan
08-02-2018, 11:29 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. It really does make a difference even coming from people I don't know. I'm very sad about the aircraft. I'm not ashamed to say that I loved that Kitfox and feel terribly guilty about destroying it.

The plane is being recovered and I will soon go back to Grand Junction to pick up what remains. As to my status - the day of the crash I felt pretty good. They checked me over carefully and were astonished to find the only damage a bunch of small holes and two big ones which were quickly stitched. Yesterday, however; well, you remember that scene in The Avengers when Hulk takes Loki by the foot and beats him senseless? Yep. That's how I feel. There isn't very much on me that doesn't hurt, but it's all temporary and I should be fine in a couple of days.

I'll talk more about the crash in a day or two, after I've written it coherently. It's no secret, since I told all to the NTSB and as far as I can tell did nothing wrong, but the short version is I clipped an unmarked zip line with my vertical, tearing it and the rudder off which left me eventually flying sideways. I'd never learned to do that so my landing was bad.

Thank you again for all your kindness. It really does help. More later.

Clark in AZ
08-02-2018, 12:04 PM
WOW! That's scary. Glad your OK! Hope your recovery is short.

Be well,
Clark

av8rps
08-02-2018, 04:36 PM
Guy, it was so fun hanging out with you and Ty and his dad at OSH, so when I read of your accident just now my heart stopped!! But I am so happy to learn you are ok. Considering what you went through it is nothing short of amazing. Take care and get well friend. You had a beautiful Kitfox. But I'm willing to bet you will make an even better one :)

Paul Seehafer
Central Wisconsin

tjentzsch
08-02-2018, 06:31 PM
Wish you well on your recovery. Hope you will be up in the air soon.

rcbif
08-03-2018, 03:49 AM
Searched out all the Kitfox while at Oshkosh and spent 10 minutes admiring yours hoping the owner would turn up. Beautiful airplane, but it can be replaced. That picture of it in the water and near the rocks reminded me too much of the icon crash in the canyon - no survivors. You made it out, and that is great. Wish you a good recovery.

rosslr
08-03-2018, 04:03 PM
As other have said, I too am happy that you managed to live to tell the story. And on that note, A big congratulations for mustering the energy to inform us all about your mishap and that you are ok. I can identify with the aches and pains in the days that followed - hope its getting better!. Having had an incident early in my flying career, I also know that it can shake your confidence and attitude to flying, but the way you are managing your 'debrief' is a lesson to use all I think - the most important things is what can be learnt from the incident - for yourself and for all of us here. Thanks for sharing.

I look forward to your further posts and wish you a speedy recovery.

Ross

dholly
08-04-2018, 02:38 PM
Best wishes Guy. A very scary situation indeed. Your friends and family are grateful today, enjoy the extra hugs.

896tr
08-04-2018, 07:54 PM
Guy, I sent you a pm

HighWing
08-04-2018, 08:05 PM
...I clipped an unmarked zip line with my vertical, tearing it and the rudder off which left me eventually flying sideways.

Wow! That information disturbs me. Wishing the very best to you and understand completely the challenge dealing with such a loss but in that manner, I really don't know how I would deal with that. But, knowing you, I am sure it will all work out in the end.

airlina
08-07-2018, 03:07 PM
Guy, Like the rest on this list, just want to add my prayers for your speedy recovery, was glad to see that you were the one doing the posting after seeing the photos of your plane. Sounds like you will find another horse to ride. Bruce N199CL

Bryan
08-07-2018, 03:27 PM
It is hard to believe anyone could walk away from that. Glad you are OK.

Wheels
08-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Guy, I modeled much of my engine install after your advise. I am so sorry for The crash and so happy that you are ok. If I can help in some way I will, I suppose first is to thank God and second is to start looking for a plane for you.
My install is done and the plane is in final testing. Got about 10 hours on it. I like it. thanks for all the help
I"ll P.M.

Guy Buchanan
08-13-2018, 01:51 PM
OK I owe you guys a story. It's not a long one because these things happen kinda fast.

So I'm returning solo from Osh. I just spent a couple of nights at my father-in-law's place in Fort Collins, CO and embarked early morning for Cedar City. After re-fueling and checking weather / TFR's / etc. at Grand Junction I head west down the valley at about 1000 AGL. Looking off to my left I see the Colorado meandering down a shallow canyon and think, "That looks like fun!". So I head over and begin hopscotching down the canyon, low when possible, but pulling up and over the human stuff, mostly rafters floating the river. (Yes, I try to stay legal these days. Too many cameras.)

On my last drop i fly right to river level (about 20') and right about then see a wire flash by overhead. Immediately I hear the "bung" of a sprung wire and get a mighty shake out of the airframe. Thinking "I hope that's a broken wire" I'm immediately discouraged to find the airplane starting to yaw left. Putting in a bit of right rudder, then more, then all, I get nothing. I then think, "Wow. This is going to really hurt." I might have even laughed. It seemed like I was in the air for only a few seconds until impact.

I don't remember any of that. Next I know I'm standing in knee deep water trying to get my personal stuff out of the baggage compartment. Looking at the remains I think, "Dang, how am I standing here?" The plane was a mess. After a trip carrying my stuff to dry land a raft hails me from up-river so I hang around to meet them. They're three young rafters from Gunnison out for a fun day dreading what they're going to find in the heap of airplane piled against the canyon wall. They said they were mighty relieved to see me standing there.

Anyway they did lots of first aid stuff, (though standing, I discovered later I was still a bit of a mess,) and hustled me down to the next landing, about an hour down by boat, where I was picked by helo and off to Grand Junction for testing.

In Grand Junction they found nothing obviously broken. The patched up some holes, big and small, then released met that afternoon. I flew home commercial the next day.

A commercial operator out of Greeley pulled the remains last week. I'm getting them on Wednesday. The motor's the big question, as I don't think I was savvy enough to pull the throttle before impact. Maybe I did, but I don't think so. (All three blades shattered at the hub.) So I'll have a pro check it closely. I can take them apart and put them together, but I'm not sure I'm up to close inspection. Besides, I'm invested and really want the engine to be re-useable; not a good combo.

So lessons learned? Sure. If you want to run a canyon, pre-run it at a safe altitude and hope like hell you see all the obstacles. Otherwise don't fly between fixed hard points.

So now I'm looking for a IV kit or project to rebuild my aircraft. I've decided to rebuild it largely as it was, with some improvements. Meanwhile I think I'll go back to flying gliders to keep my hand in.

Thanks again for all your interest and kind words. They were and are an inexpressible comfort.

Esser
08-13-2018, 01:58 PM
Thanks for filling in the blanks Guy, I’ll reiterate that we are all glad you are here to tell the tail relatively unscathed. Looking forward to seeing you in a Kitfox again soon!

DesertFox4
08-13-2018, 02:53 PM
As we all are, happy you are with us and in pretty good fettle after that unscheduled stop on and in the Colorado.

Hoping you find the right Kitfox project to return you to powered flight again soon. We, who knew the quality of your model 4, mourn it's loss along with you.:(

efwd
08-13-2018, 04:01 PM
Yeah Guy, we are glad you are able to share the story. Only seen pics but, Steve, I miss it too.
P.s. What improvements could you make Guy?!

Norm
08-13-2018, 04:12 PM
So now I'm looking for a IV kit or project to rebuild my aircraft. I've decided to rebuild it largely as it was, with some improvements. Meanwhile I think I'll go back to flying gliders to keep my hand in.

Thanks again for all your interest and kind words. They were and are an inexpressible comfort.

I have to ask, going for another Model IV. Is there a reason not to go to a 5, 6, or 7. I know in Canada I like the IV as it is registered as an Ultralight or Light Sport equivalent but in the US if your flying amateur built is there a reason to go back to the Model IV? Or is it your preference for a quick light nimble airplane ?

rocketman2tm
08-13-2018, 06:27 PM
I have to ask, going for another Model IV. Is there a reason not to go to a 5, 6, or 7. I know in Canada I like the IV as it is registered as an Ultralight or Light Sport equivalent but in the US if your flying amateur built is there a reason to go back to the Model IV? Or is it your preference for a quick light nimble airplane ?

Kitplanes did a write up on just this topic:

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/30_6/builder_spotlight/kitfox_vs_kitfox_20749-1.html

av8rps
08-13-2018, 10:23 PM
That truly is an amazing story with a very happy ending for you. Your beautiful Kitfox unfortunately was sacrificed, but certainly proved its crashworthiness. I hope you find a replacement soon.

Flying floats for decades down rivers really makes me appreciate, and seriously think about what happened to you. So thank you for your willingness to share your experience with all of us. I'm sure it's not easy to talk about.

For those that may not know, it is pretty much impossible to see wires across rivers, or wires out to islands from a lake shore. If I don't know the area well I traditionally will fly at a minimum of 200 ft above the water as around here even big power lines are lower than that. On rivers I know, if I desire to scud run a river I do that with my floats only a foot or two off the surface as that keeps me under even the lowest power lines (being no taller than the bigger pleasure boats on the river). I also try to not fly down the middle of the river as the lines are lowest there. And I consider the 10ft to 200 ft area above the surface as a NO-FLY ZONE, and really try to adhere to that rule even on rivers I think I know well (power companies don't call to tell me they just installed a new cable...). Flying rivers is a great time, but a guy really can't be careful enough. And I have never encountered a zip line in all my years. That possibility, along with deep mountain passes adds a whole new level of caution to deal with :eek:

... And then there is my friend that took his buddy out for a ride in his just Cessna 185 during a half time break of a Super Bowl game that everyone in the area was watching because their team was playing. He thought it would be fun to show his friend a 150 mph buzz job down on the deck of the local river that seperated the neighborhood. But as he buzzed over a small county bridge he heard a loud snap! He had hit the main power line feeding all the neighbors houses (and even worse, all of the local bars) on both sides of the river, causing everyone in the area to lose power for the rest of the day!! I think his entire neighborhood is still mad at him ;)

Oh, and he had just bought the plane and hadn't yet figured out that those funny things on the landing gear were cable cutters ( apparently used by power company pilots flying a lot near power lines). They for sure were worth their weight that day. He hates me telling that story as he says he has since gave up flying down rivers. But that story is a good reminder for all of us when we are being tempted to have a little more fun than we probably should...

Guy Buchanan
09-01-2018, 04:16 PM
Want to see what it looks like now? Some of you saw it before and may be a little shocked. I know it discourages me every time I look at it. Digging into the motor now, but it's not good. The river was very silty and the motor was not only full of water, but full of silt. Fun.

DesertFox4
09-01-2018, 06:12 PM
Yikes!!! :eek: I really prefer the before photos.

So glad you are doing well Guy. Hope to see you soon and in another beautiful Kitfox.

avidflyer
09-01-2018, 07:26 PM
Wow, what a mess. Such a shame, but so good that you are still here to look at the parts and figure where to go from here. Planes can be replaced, people can't. Find another and go from there. JImChuk

Paul Z
09-01-2018, 07:29 PM
Glad to hear you are OK. There are always other planes out there. I’d recommend going with a 5 or 7, I’d send the engine to Edge performance for a rebuild and upgrade.

Wheels
09-02-2018, 10:02 AM
Don't Leave the Brother hood of IVs!
5, 6, and 7, are cool ... if your into that, but the IV .... OH MAN, You know how they handle. There is the one fact that nothing is easy in maintenance of the IV, but, hey, Its a IV!! they ROCK!!

Guy Buchanan
09-02-2018, 11:00 AM
Yeah. No worries there. It'll be a IV.