PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel recommendations

littlecricket
07-30-2018, 04:32 PM
I know there was some info in some of the threads, but I’ve read so many I can’t seem to find it again. Anyway, I’m going to put T3 shock or shock monster on the tail end. What tailwheels are good to be paired with a shock? Also, any recommendations on locking tailwheel or free castering? Thanks as always, this site is awesome...

jmodguy
08-01-2018, 12:32 PM
I think pretty much any tailwheel that will fit the T-3 shock will work. Kitfox has the ABI 3200B on their demo bird. I’m going with the Matco 11”.
You know what they say about opinions...!

jiott
08-02-2018, 09:28 AM
My opinion is go with the ABI3200. Its well proven in the back country.

Hockeystud87
08-02-2018, 02:07 PM
Better be for that price!

av8rps
08-02-2018, 03:54 PM
The Matco seems to be really common on the Kitfox. I like their products a lot and don't think you can go wrong with any of their choices if you desire a steerable (chained) tailwheel. If you prefer a unchained tailwheel, the Pekola tailwheel, with or without the locking option is the one the Highlander group prefer. I personally would choose the locking option as it makes flying a tailwheel pretty much a no brainer. And once you are really comfortable with the plane you may never use the locking part of it again, but it's there if you ever need it.

I really like the ABI tailwheel, and think it looks really cool. But I have a really hard time with the price, and believe the Pekola is as good or better for less than half the price. Plus I've heard the ABI has shimmying issues that are hard to stop.

Free internet advice, so take it for what it's worth...;)

Av8r3400
08-02-2018, 04:55 PM
I've been as happy with my Matco as I was unhappy with the Maul. :D:rolleyes::confused:

kmach
08-03-2018, 10:54 AM
My vote is for Matco, I like mine.
I've had two of them now, I keep upgrading in size.:rolleyes:

Rodney
08-04-2018, 06:04 PM
I decided on the Tundra Lite Tailwheel http://www.tundratailwheel.com/

I bought the 8" tall model and was told it will mate to the T3 tailwheel spring, which is also on order.

The Tundra Lite can be locked so the airplane will run straight on the ground. It can be easily unlocked for taxiing.

My Dad flew P-51's in WWII and also had tons of time in an AT-6. I remember him telling me that the P-51 had a locking tailwheel and I think some of the AT-6's did also.

He said when your putting a 200 hour student in a P-51 - the locking tailwheel really helped them make the transition from the AT-6 to the 51.

I have, in reality zero tailwheel time, but I am in the process of converting from nosegear to taildragger so I can go play with some friends on the sandbars on the Red River, between Texas and Oklahoma. It's like thirteen miles south of my house.

So, I am hoping that the investment in a locking tailwheel will help in transition training I'm looking forward too. That plus a lot of practice running up and down the runway. Can't wait to get started.

Regards
Rodney

Esser
08-05-2018, 02:49 PM
I also have the Tundra Lite. That is also what Trent Palmer and Steve henry are running.

SilverFox5
10-25-2018, 07:29 PM
Looking at ordering the 8 inch Tundra lite tailwheel. I am just curious as to where people have mounted the release handle?
Joe

Slyfox
10-25-2018, 08:12 PM
I have the 8inch wide double arm matco. love it. I have it on the T-3

Esser
10-28-2018, 12:14 PM
I didn't install the locking mechanism