PDA

View Full Version : STI Builders?

Shadowrider
07-29-2018, 06:32 AM
Any STI builders out there? I am about to start on the wings, close to finishing up the fuselage. Trying to find instructions, pointers, suggestions for the STI wing?

wannafly
07-29-2018, 07:18 AM
Your ahead of me. Get my kit in October.

Swanny
07-30-2018, 11:59 AM
We just placed our order at OSH last week. We are scheduled an April delivery. We are still trying to decide STI or SS.. I am almost positive we will be going the way of STI

KitKarson
07-30-2018, 12:39 PM
I just ordered an STi also. There is a Sticky under general discussion on tips and hint i read through. Lots of information.

Shadowrider
07-30-2018, 01:39 PM
When I ordered I thought I selected every option. Now kitfox website is showing, cargo kit, and extended cargo kit?? Had no idea about the extended cargo? Can anyone post pictures? Going to see if I can trade out my cargo kit for the extended cargo kit?

SloW8
07-30-2018, 03:13 PM
There are two brothers in Utah building twin STIs... Oh wait, that's you. Ha.

Sorry I don't have any info to help.

Shadowrider
07-30-2018, 04:09 PM
There are two brothers in Utah building twin STIs... Oh wait, that's you. Ha.

Sorry I don't have any info to help.
Yea that is us! Patiently waiting for kitfox return from Oshkosh.........

Swanny
08-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Patiently waiting for kitfox return from Oshkosh.........

Aren’t we all..

Quick question, which might be better for someone at Kitfox but I’ll ask anyway. How much honest work is left to finish on the QB wings if also rigged to the Fuse already? (Besides the obvious tank wiring and flap install)

Shadowrider
08-01-2018, 09:32 PM
Aren’t we all..

Quick question, which might be better for someone at Kitfox but I’ll ask anyway. How much honest work is left to finish on the QB wings if also rigged to the Fuse already? (Besides the obvious tank wiring and flap install)

I think there is still quite a bit of work from what I can figure out. Waiting to verify with Kitfox because I can’t seem to find the sti instructions.

ken nougaret
08-01-2018, 09:53 PM
Off the top of my head: lift strut attachments, butt rib, trailing edge, leading edge, pitot, varnishing all ribs, wing tips. And like you said, tanks, wiring.

aviator79
08-02-2018, 05:53 AM
I have standard wings, QB, pre-rigged. I also had some additional work done at the factory to facilitate building in a 1-car garage. I did my right wing in 59 hours, and my left in 52. There is actually more work to do on the left, but the second one goes faster. It's hard to estimate how many hours of additional work was done by the factory, but I would guess it was worth 15-20 hours of my time. So, 65-70 hours per wing is probably a ballpark estimate. If you want specific tasks to complete, the manual is online.

Swanny
08-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Fair enough, has anybody done the Chromoly Streamline Wing Lift Struts? I cant seem to find much information on them. Sorry if the laundry list of random questions is out of place, I am new to all this and trying to visualize before finishing my final order next week

Shadowrider
08-02-2018, 11:54 AM
I can find the SS manual but not the STI manual.

aviator79
08-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Fair enough, has anybody done the Chromoly Streamline Wing Lift Struts?

I wanted them, but couldn't justify the cost vs the fairings. If I were building an STi, I'd put that money into Shock Monster gear. You've already kind of decided that cruise speed isn't your first priority.

Forum member Floog has a pair. You might contact him directly for a first-hand opinion.

Swanny
08-02-2018, 05:38 PM
I wanted them, but couldn't justify the cost vs the fairings. If I were building an STi, I'd put that money into Shock Monster gear. You've already kind of decided that cruise speed isn't your first priority.

Forum member Floog has a pair. You might contact him directly for a first-hand opinion.

Ok thanks, I talked to Brandon @ KF today and he cleared up all my questions quicker than I could spit them out

Shadowrider
08-22-2018, 08:16 PM
Build Update

I knew my RC tools would come in handy! Apparently you can only upload little pictures now???

We are onto the wings now. Don't have a picture but working on the fuel tanks now. Rib1 done, flapperon attach points done, attachment doublers done. Build is going good, just trying to stay steady building every chance I get. We are working on getting the firewall forward order as we don't want to be held up with parts. John and Thomas(edge performance) are working with us on what we need. We are going to run the Edge Performance turbo 912. Some ask why are we not using the 915? Well....edge performance turbo 912 is lighter and makes more power than the 915, so it should have some good performance. (and cheaper) Obviously lots of things to figure out, but we are up to the challenge.

New from kitfox, they now offer an extended baggage. They are going to trade ours out and we are going to get the extended baggage.

We are to the part of the build that we need some help on doing it the best way. We are building the wings and need to make sure we get everything in them that we need. We have decided to go with the Garmin g3x touch. Garmin pitot tube install kit from kitfox on order. I think we need to install the remote heading in the wing somewhere? Any input on the best way to do this?

Also we just received our Aeroled pulsar nav/strobe combo. What is the best way to wire these up in the wing? What wire should we use and what connectors? Best place to get the wire and supplies? Sorry I know there is a lot of questions any help is greatly appreciated.

Esser
08-22-2018, 08:31 PM
Shielded wire and ground it back at the firewall not locally. There is a big discussion on this very topic in the electrical pages if you do some digging

DesertFox4
08-22-2018, 08:46 PM
SteinAir , California Power Systems (CPS) or Leading Edge Air Foils (L.E.A.F. all have the sheilded wires in the size you might need. All three companies are sponsors on TeamKitfox.com and all have great customer service.
Wingtip lighting wiring is usually run through the inside of the back spars from the root out to the tip. This allows folding the wings without disconnecting any wires.

Shadowrider
08-23-2018, 06:38 AM
Doh...I just realized this is not my build log. Man I am not great at this posting stuff. Thanks for tips on wiring.

colospace
08-23-2018, 10:56 AM
The AeroLEDs include a schematic for suggested wiring.