PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox 5 and a Uhaul box truck

peanut
07-27-2018, 07:53 PM
I may be able to purchase a Kitfox 5 but it’s 1400 miles away. It does fly but I don’t want to fly 14 hours in an unknown ship. Anyway. With the wings folded up... has anybody ever brought home a 5-7 in a 26’ Uhaul? Ramps and loading it isn’t the part that concerns me. I just can’t find actual measurements of a 5 folded up. If it’s a wood floor I would just screw lag bolts in like I’ve done for cars in the Uhaul. Of course I had a loading dock... 😂. This would sure keep wear and tear off my race car hauler and truck. Thanks.

avidflyer
07-27-2018, 08:02 PM
I don't think the door on the truck would be wide enough with both wings on. If a 5 is the same width folded as earlier models, it's about 8' wide, maybe 1 inch less. JImChuk

peanut
07-27-2018, 08:06 PM
I feared that. I wonder if there’s room for the wings if we take them off and get creative. I’m just trying to get creative on a means of trucking it back. I’m just not going to take my 26’ trailer all that way empty. It would be nice to fly up commercially and haul her home in the box truck.

ken nougaret
07-28-2018, 04:28 AM
Do uhauls have strap tracks on the walls? With enough foam you could strap a wing to each wall.

littlecricket
07-28-2018, 04:31 AM
Do uhauls have strap tracks on the walls? With enough foam you could strap a wing to each wall.

This is what a friend and I did when he purchased a partial completed 7. We hung the wings on the side walls. You may only have to remove one wing to get it to fit.

peanut
07-28-2018, 05:35 AM
I think you’d almost need to make the wing a saddle to sit in. Those sides flex a lot. I wouldn’t want that transfer of flex into the wing but that’s a good idea.

Av8r3400
07-29-2018, 07:03 PM
I hauled the Mangy home (from NY to Wisconsin) in a 26' UHaul truck.

Yes, I had to remove the tail and one wing (wrapped in blankets flat on the floor) to get it to fit. It was a miserable trip! The plane only weighed 600# or so, and the truck rode terrible. It beat us to death on the marathon 26 hour drive.

GuppyWN
07-30-2018, 05:27 PM
I looked at an 800 mile Uhaul one-way recently. I figured I’d rather drive it with what they were asking. For that kind of money why don’t you pay the seller to bring it to you. (Yes I know you can’t legally pay him a profit but you could get creative. Work it into the sales price or something.)

peanut
07-30-2018, 08:50 PM
I looked at an 800 mile Uhaul one-way recently. I figured I’d rather drive it with what they were asking. For that kind of money why don’t you pay the seller to bring it to you. (Yes I know you can’t legally pay him a profit but you could get creative. Work it into the sales price or something.)

I don’t think I trust the power plant to do a 14 hour flight honestly. Why chance it. I’d rather get it in my shop and go over it.

Frontier Fox
07-31-2018, 10:19 AM
Have you priced Penske? I just rented one and was happy with the deal from them.

Joe G.

peanut
07-31-2018, 11:14 AM
I have not yet.

aviator79
07-31-2018, 02:32 PM
I wonder if Kitfox could put you in touch with Tony Partrain for a delivery quote. He delivers Kitfoxes and RVs for the factories, and I've heard his rates are more reasonable than you'd think.

peanut
07-31-2018, 07:13 PM
It maybe worth calling John.

peanut
07-31-2018, 07:19 PM
Got a quote from a company that advertises a lot on Barnstormers and it was $3500+ to deliver it. Yikes. I’ll go get it for that cost.

ken nougaret
08-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Here's a thought. Fly there commercial. Rent a uhaul 1/2 ton pickup truck. Get on craigslist for an enclosed or flatbed trailer. When you get home, keep or sell the trailer.

peanut
08-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Here's a thought. Fly there commercial. Rent a uhaul 1/2 ton pickup truck. Get on craigslist for an enclosed or flatbed trailer. When you get home, keep or sell the trailer.

That’s a good thought. But I don’t know that I want the headache or risk of open trailer hauling. I have a 26’ wide enclosed at home I just don’t want to put the wear and tear on my trailer. You’ll go through at least a tire.

KitKarson
08-01-2018, 03:52 PM
Go inspect it then make the purchase contingent if them delivering it as represented, build some extra into the asking price. If that doesn't work there has to be a ferry pilot out there that would fly it back for you. I would at least call around.

peanut
08-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Sound advice. Thank you.

efwd
08-01-2018, 05:40 PM
This is a light hearted comment:
So.....your saying you don't use that trailer?
Are you going to put wear and tear on the Kitfox?;) I bet a Nice Kitfox tire cost more than that trailer tire. Likely a whole lot more. :D

GuppyWN
08-01-2018, 06:46 PM
I just drove 3100 miles to catch a fish.

efwd
08-01-2018, 07:32 PM
Hell Yeah, this one could be a flying fish variety if you snatch it up and put floats on it!

peanut
08-01-2018, 08:51 PM
This is a light hearted comment:
So.....your saying you don't use that trailer?
Are you going to put wear and tear on the Kitfox?;) I bet a Nice Kitfox tire cost more than that trailer tire. Likely a whole lot more. :D

Well, the race cars trailer is heavy and outfitted to haul a race car 3-4 hours at a time. I don’t really want to drive a heavy “empty” trailer 1900 miles. If you know enclosed trailers, you won’t go that distance and back and not put a tire on it. When the tire blows you will likely replace the wheel lip mounding and one or two of the skin panels. Sure it could happen pulling my race car... but I won’t be 1900 miles from home. Racing is my business and I just don’t need to put wear and tear on my race trailer. That’s not what it’s for. If the plane had a 912, we’d fly it back. It’s got a little less confidence building setup in it now. Flying it home isn’t a dice I want to roll at this time.

DaveAA
08-02-2018, 10:39 PM
freight brokers, load matching, search terms like that.

there's more than a few companies that find empty space on trucks, or even run their own routes. downside is you won't get it tomorrow, you'll get it when they have the space available, or when the drivers have made all their pickups and start delivering, respectively.

most of the time delivery is accurate within a couple days, and of course you're updated as it goes. could take a few weeks, but very economical

Clark in AZ
08-03-2018, 05:31 AM
I agree, fly commercial, get a Penske rental from any Home Depot, bring it home. Many have done it, I did that when picking my SuperSTOL kit up from Just Aircraft in North Carolina. Drove it home to Phoenix, AZ.

Of course, you'll need a bigger truck than I got because your plane is assembled, but it can be done. Even if you have to remove one wing and/or rudder to make it fit.

Clark